JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. His Own Glory and Goodness

Q3. (2 Peter 1:3) What does it mean for you personally to be called "by his own glory and goodness"? How does God's glory and awesome Presence affect you? How does his goodness and moral excellence affect you?

I am reminded almost daily how fortunate I am to have been called by God to be one of His children. For most I my life, I did not realize that call. To me, to have been called by His Glory and Goodness, shows His immense forgivness. I am humbled, knowing my life and my sins as intimately as I do, yet joyful that , despite all of my shortcomings, God chose to make ME his son.

I am not claiming that I am mature enough to walk in His presense every moment, but in those times when I just KNOW I am in his presense, it is overwhelming. Joy, shame, love, humility, all bubble up within me. The knowledge that He is always present comforts me, and makes me try to seek and carry out his will.

God's moral perfection gives me a compass to guide my actions and thoughts. It points a blinding light into the dark corners of me, the ones I don't care to examine too closely or venture into, and cleanses them. In todays world, too many of us, even we Christians, want to ignore both of these "consequences" of knowing God through Christ. In the name of "love" or "tolerance" we not only accept the sinner, we condone the sin. God's moral excellence should give us a big old warning that God, while He has INFINITE love for every sinner, absolutely HATES sin. For too many modern "Christians", not to mention the rest of the secular world, relative morality allows them to live life in their terms and convieniently ignore those parts of God's word that make them "uncomfortable". God is PURE, His word is unadulterated truth, and His morality is not relative.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am overwhelmed and thankful that God has called me to receive his own glory and goodness.

It greatly affects my life today because I know who called me to live a godly life and i should make every effort to add to my faith moral excellence. The one who called me has moral excellence and i should follow his footstep.

• 2 weeks later...

The supremely holy and excellent I AM has called me to be made like Him by the full weight of His own presence and character in my life. The fullness of Him in me can leave no room for me. His glorious holiness exposes and convicts all my impurity. His excellent goodness reveals my every defect and vice. This puts me on my face before Him in broken humility. As I realize again my unworthiness, it makes the miracle of His call even more precious. It should be purifying, as I'm moved to surrender everything to that upward call. I want people to be able to see His glory shining all over me!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I am overwhelmed and grateful to be called to glorify His name in this way and to know that His goodness sustains me and directs me. To know that such a Holy God would take me in as His own and allow me to know Him, it is awesome. His goodness is beyond my understanding and I trust Him to teach me to become more and more like Him.

• 6 months later...

Q3. (2 Peter 1:3) What does it mean for you personally to be called "by his own glory and goodness"? How does God's glory and awesome Presence affect you? How does his goodness and moral excellence affect you?

It shows me that I am a child of God, and that I am worthy enough to be called "by his own glory and goodness" His glory and awesome Presence makes me feel awesome and so very loved. His goodness and moral excellence makes me know that I can count on whatever He tells me to do, etc. If he is morally correct then I can be the same.

• 8 months later...

To be called by Jesus. God's glory and awesome presence builds in a me a desire for him to be proud of me and a desire for me to be worthy of Him. His goodness and moral excellence are the examples that I work towards as he molds me and makes me into the person he meant me to be.

• 4 weeks later...

To be called by God's own glory and goodness means to me that He is extending an invitation for me to join Him in the redemptive work He is doing on this planet (beginning with me), to bring others to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ and to making disciples of men and women.

God's glory and awesome Presence fills me with humility and awe. His goodness and moral excellence inspires me to live a holy life and to permit God to instill His values in my life for others to see in order to testify to the glory and power of God Almighty in my life.

My answer to all of the above is complete awe, an inabilty to realize the full magnitude of the Creator having anything at all to do with me, joy and yet sorrow that I am by no means the humble person that I should be for of all of what God Almighty has given me.

• 2 months later...

This Verse to me means that Am called to follow His instruction, so that others may see the revelation of God's character and presence in me. My live has to reveal God's Character, so that the world has to see His present in me.

• 4 weeks later...

I feel so honored to be called by God for His purpose, to know that He called me and believed in me to do His will. I do strive to be someone that God can trust and be pleased with. His love has changed my life in so many ways, that those things that others do or say, I am compelled not to do or say them because He dwells within me.

• 7 months later...

It means that I was chosen because He is glorious and good and not because I am either. Indeed, I was in the pinnacle of my sin when He called me.

When I experience God's glory and goodness, I am changed in such a manner that I think and act more closely like Him. I believe this is so, because when He shares Himself with me in the heavenly realm, I remember the experience in the earhly realm with my fleshly brain. What I am trying to say is that when I am in His presence and in His mind, it seems to some degree that His mind is my mind (although I know it is His mind, it feels like mine because we are one at the time), and my mind remembers it and because it is so much more enjoyable than my sinful mind, I choose to remember His thoughts instead of my own and identify myself with Him. I think because of this, my brain gets tricked into thinking God's thoughts are its thoughts, and I encourage it to think so, because my body follows. I suppose a simpler way to say this is that God brain-washes me, which is exactly what I need!

• 5 months later...

To be called by the glory and goodness of God is a wonderful thing. He looked down on me and chose me to do His will. God's glory and awesome Presence is what keeps me going everyday. I can do none of the things I do without Him. His goodness and moral excellence affects me in such away that I want to be like Him but I feel not worthy enough and I need His help to make the way He wants me to be. I need His guidance every second of my life.

• 5 months later...

God chose me, I didn't choose Him. All I did was answer when He called.

God's awesome Presence affect me in the sense that He is Supreme and Royalty. I bow in His Presence because He is God, Creator of everything.

It gives me the desire to be pleasing to Him. It encourages me to be obedient and mindful of His awesome existence.

• 1 year later...

Q3. (2 Peter 1:3)

What does it mean for you personally to be called "by his own glory and goodness"?

How does God's glory and awesome Presence affect you?

How does his goodness and moral excellence affect you?

To be called by His own glory and goodness means I have been called out of darkness into His marvellous light (1 Pet 2:9); I have been called to follow Christ in a pathway of suffering (1 Pet 2:21); I have been called to return blessing for insults (1 Pet 3:9); I have been called to his eternal glory (1 Pet 5:10). In other words He called me by revealing the wonders of His Person. God reveals His essential Being through visible glory and He displays His goodness in His deeds. We read in John 1:14,

• 2 months later...

Appreciating God's call described in these terms has been a growing experience for me. When I first became a Christian my understanding was limited to salvation being a legal transaction. Being baptized in the Holy Spirit changed that. It was like finding out that a fairy tale was, in fact, true! The handsome prince (Jesus) was really there to make a difference. From then on, the Holy Spirit has been able to take me further. Studies such as this one makes one stop and do some real thinking. :)

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

3a)It is amazing to me that the One who was visible partially to Moses; in a burning bush; and became flesh in Jesus Christ, called me a sinner “by his own glory and goodness”. I don’t feel worthy of this saving grace, but eternally grateful and overwhelmed by God’s glory and his in my everyday life.

b)Knowing Jesus is guiding, leading and helping me everyday makes so much difference me. It makes me want to please him, help others in serving him, because I know he would want me too.serve Him better, seek to be more Christ like, in my thoughts and actions.He shows himself to me in many different ways

c)His goodness shows up my weakness and inadequacies, and is the template and model I want to aspire too. Through his Spirit in me, he helps me when tempted. And I know he also wants to forgive me, when I don’t live up to the high standard he has set for me.

• 6 months later...

God has revealed the wonders of His person to each of us through His creation of which we are a part; through Jesus Christ, through His Word; and the movement of the Holy Spirit in our lives.  His glory and goodness is revealed in His love for us and all of creation; high standard of character; unchanging character; and His personal involvement in each of our lives If we permit it.  So, what it means to me personally is that the God of creation is my creator and He loves me and I can have a relationship with Him as He desires.  That desire is expressed clearly in John 3:16.

All of God's glory and goodness affects me in that it permitted me access to Him and He has transformed my life and continues to transform my life from a clueless human to a Christ-like human-being -- from an incomplete human-being to a complete human-being in Jesus Christ.

• 4 months later...

What does it mean for you personally to be called "by his own glory and goodness"?

I AM SET APART TO EXPERIENCE ALL THAT COMES WITH THAT GLORY WITH THE FULL KNOWLEDGE THAT GOD ALREADY KNOWS ME; AND THE BOUNTY OF THAT GLORY IS MEASURED WITH MY NAME ON IT.

IT GIVES ME AN ASTOUNDING MEASURE OF SECURITY IN MY RESPONSES TO LIFE AND THOSE THINGS THAT ATTEMPT TO AFFECT ME BOTH POSITIVELY AND NEGATIVELY.

IT IS A GUIDE AND A PATTERN TO GAUGE MY BEHAVIOR AS I STRIVE TO REPRESENT HIM ACCORDING TO THE KNOWLEDGE I HAVE OF HIM.

• 1 year later...

Q3. (2 Peter 1:3) What does it mean for you personally to be called "by his own glory and goodness"?

I was called out of my sin when it became clear that even though I did not, and could not find answers to all of my questions, God still had a plan for me, and I would be miserable until I was on the right path. His glory was revealed to me in the testimonies of divine intervention, and knowing in my heart that the bible contains the most amazing story of this earth. His goodness was displayed when God still reached out to me even though I had allowed my life to be a contradiction to his standards.

I am humbled, and gladly take my place in God's kingdom, where I have fulfillment and enormous potential. His presence leaves me thirsty for more, to where it is consistently on my mind.

Being closer to God, my moral standards have been significantly heightened. I have always desired to be pure at heart, so this result has been most excellent, and fulfilling. 

• 9 months later...

Q3. (2 Peter 1:3) What does it mean for you personally to be called "by his own glory and goodness"? How does God's glory and awesome Presence affect you? How does his goodness and moral excellence affect you?​

Personally to me to be called "by his own glory and goodness" means i am a privileged child of God who does not deserve this at all.

His glory and awesome presence helps me to live holy life, keep a check on my character and praise him all the time.

Everytime i fall, i have the hope that i can get up and get right with him, his goodness and moral excellence assures me of his mercy and strenght to grow better each day.

• 1 year later...
On 7/2/2004 at 0:43 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

To be personally  called "by his own glory and goodness"means that God has specifically structured a unique path for me that will bring Him glory and will usher in the completion of His grand plan for the church.

God's glory and awesome Presence brings me into the place where I am  reminded of  His promise to never  leave me nor forsake me and I can trust Him in all His ways.  God's goodness and moral excellence gives me the confidence that God is omnipotent, omnipresence, omniscient, and faithful.  I can trust my God. 

• 11 months later...

As a person who is an addict I realize now how much I am truly blessed by Him to called His own and to be loved by Him even when I fail repeatedly. I realize that He still loves me enough to welcome me back into the fold repeatedly. His glory and awesome presence causes me to realize how blessed I am to be one of His in this world. It causes me to take a step back and evaluate my life and ask myself if I am serving self or others.   His goodness and moral excellence causes me to rejoice.