JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Shining in a Dark Place

SCRIPTURE IS GOD'S MESSAGE AND IS INFALLIBLE & INERRANT.IN IT'S ENTIRETY IT IS ALL TRUE AND RELIABLE IN ALL ITS TEACHING AND IS TO BE LIVED BY FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS & HOLINESS. THE WORD IS A LAMP TO MY FEET AND A LIGHT FOR MY PATH.

DARKNESS IS ANYTHING THAT IS NOT OF CHRIST.( EVIL, SATAN) THE LIGHT IS CHRIST AND ANYTHING THEREOF. ( THE WORD, JESUS,SALVATION)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Psalms 112:4 says, "Light arises in the darkness for the upright." I have a poster of Jesus with His hand on someone's head. I like to think of this being Jesus-the Light-giving me His light, knowledge, love guidance and truth when I'm in the darkness. Thruout the Old and New Testaments we are shown that Jesus pre-existed His coming as a baby, and that He has always been 'light' for those who trusted.

Q2. (2 Peter 1:19). In what ways do the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments act for you as "a light shining in a dark place"? What does the darkness represent? What does the light represent?

The Old and New Testament scriptures are my map, my guidebook, my encyclopedia, my reference books, my authority from which my worldview comes from and my flashlight which lights my way in this ever present darkness in this world and in my culture.

Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path!

The darkness represents spiritual void and unbelief. :(

The Light represents illumination and salvation or belief. :D

Just my thoughts,

Sassyblue8

A saying that deeply touched me: St. Francis "All the darkness in the world cannot exstinguish the light of a single candle."

To me, this represents the absolute victory of our Lord. Life over death. Light over darkness. The darkness cannot comprehend it because it just cannot. Just as no matter how you shake it, oil will not mix with water. It is darkness. It's already defeated and dead. It has no power to turn out the light. Maybe only to hide it behind fake stuff (idols, distractions of the temporal world), or maybe to even reflect it to be a false light, as the moon does the sun. The darkness can only delay the revelation of the truth (the light). Everyone will know the truth come judgement day. To me the darkness is everything that is not permanent, and as such, not real. Only the light and what is true and of God is what will remain.

To me, the light is the living eternal spirit of God, and if we have him in us, we ,too, are that candle.

The scriptures, being God breathed, inspired, his truth, his love letter, his guide to us is also that candle. Calling out to those in the darkness from afar off, and to us, that we may shed the darkness that remains in us, and be an even brighter beacon to those following behind. This is why it is so important for us to patiently perservere on the path the Lord has put us on. There are others following behind who are lost who can only see the light we give. We may never know until the end the importance of how bright or dimly we shone.

That's my take on it. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Q2. (2 Peter 1:19). In what ways do the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments act for you as "a light shining in a dark place"? What does the darkness represent? What does the light represent?

hmmmmm <_<I am in a dark place (the world), and the Scriptures are a light unto it, that guides my/our paths in and to all righteousness.

The darkness represents the wiles of satan.

The Light represents the Purity, Trueth, Honor & Glory of Abba Father.

The light show's every thing, even that which is hidden, as well as the thoughts of the heart, so there really are no surprises, all is revealed, and we have all ready overcome the darkness through Jesus' Blood, which He shed for us to bring us back into the light, where we once were with HIM. :D

THE SCRIPTURE WILL ALWAYS BE WORDS OF TRUTH AND LIFE.THE WORD WILL CONTINUE TO POINT TO THE SOURCE OF ALL TRUTH WHICH IS JESUS CHRIST.AS YOU GET DEEP INTO GODS WORD ,HE SPEAKS TO US,AND GUIDES US,AND TEACHES US,UNTIL JESUS RETURNS IN GLORY.

THE WORD IS TRUTH IN WHICH JESUS IS THE LIGHT THAT WILL ILLUMINATE US IN THE DARK.

DARKNESS IS WHAT IT IS DARK,BEING BLIND,GLOOMY,DISMAL,EVIL.DARKNESS WE WANT KNOW PART OF,YET IT IS OUR CHRISTIAN DUTY TO HAVE FAITH ENOUGH TO ENTER IN THE DARK PLACES TO BRING HOPE TO THE LOST AND MINISTER JESUS CHRIST TO THEM,AS CHRISTIANS OUR LIGHT IS TO SHINE WITH THE SPIRIT OF JESUS IN US.THE GREEK WORD LEUKOS,"BEING BRIGHT",ILLUMINATION,A SPECIAL KIND OF LIGHT THAT TAKES OVER THE DARKNESS.WE HAVE KNOWLEDGE,INFORMATION OF GODS WORD THAT GIVES HOPE AND ENLIGHTMENT IN KNOWING THE SALVATION OF OUR LORD AND SAVIOR.WE ARE TO SHARE AND LET OTHERS KNOW OF THE GREAT GIFT OF LIFE THROUGH JESUS,AND HOW THEY CAN RECEIVE THAT SALVATION THROUGH JESUS CHRIST.THE LIGHT SHINES INTO THE DARKNESS AND OVERCOMES THE DISMAL GIVING ETERNAL LIFE FOREVER WITH CHRIST JESUS,THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD.

The darkness represents sin, evil, Satan, hopelessness, despair.

The light represents Jesus, the hope of salvation for minkind.

• 4 weeks later...

Q2. (2 Peter 1:19). In what ways do the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments act for you as "a light shining in a dark place"?

The OT Scriptures give a prophesy of the coming of The Christ. The NT Scriptures reveals the Son of God, giving us hope and lighting our way so we can be true Jesus followers.

What does the darkness represent?

It would represent to me no hope at all, and represents all the evil in the world.

What does the light represent?

The light represents to me, the Hope of everlasting life with my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. It represents God

• 1 month later...

The scriptures of the Old Testament gives an account of the things that happened before, this is where the story of Christ started, this is where we were first introduced to this awesome and wonderful God. We are made aware of the saviour and we are given accounts of the miraculous things he has done.

The darkness represents sin, depression, lack of hope, both Old and New Testament is a true will and Testament of belivers, as it informs us and allows us to experience deliverance from sin and depression, it gives us hope in all situations, as we are being kept aware that God is alive and real, it shows us revelations od God's promises, and it gives a sense of closeness with the Lord, the "Written Word".

The light shone forth through Jesus in human flesh, it epresents Christ, it represents the way we should conduct our daily lives, it represents all that we should be.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Both the old and new testament show us who is really in control and who is aware of the mess us humans have created on this earth. At this point in time we just carry on the work that all the prophets and apostles truth they believed in and we believe in. Jesus set the pace and we need to keep on it to be lights in the world. It was never declared easy to go against the grain, Jesus told us that.

The New Testaments give us hope of our Lord Jesus returning to the earth and setting up His reign. Darkness/evil, sin, Satan, world order & everything representing these things. Light/Good, The trinity God, truth & everything that represents this.

• 1 year later...

A light shining in a dark place....hope, eternal destiny, Jesus' love for us are the light in this dark place, our world.

The darkness represents this world as ruled by satan.

The light represents eternity, ruled by our Lord Jesus Christ.

• 5 weeks later...

For me the Holy Bible are words of life the light my path through a sin darkened world. The word illuminates me by purifying me, cleansing me, sanctifying me and preparing me for the coming of the Lord.

Darkness is sin and separation from God while light is freedom and a loving relationship with the Savior, the Holy Spirit and God the Father.

I'm in agreement with the Psalmist concerning the total living Word of God: "Your (God) word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path. Ps. 119:105. (NIV). The darkness represents a sinful, lost world and heart. God's Word is a light shining in a confused, dark -- lost world.

• 2 months later...

The Scriptures of The Old and New Testament both act as "a light shining in a dack place" Because they both Proclaim God's Messages of Truth to the Man kind.

Dackness repesent sin and Light represent Rigtheousness of God.

• 8 months later...

The scriptures are a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path in this dark world. The message of this world is darkness and death and it surrounds us as we walk through this vain place; all it's messages are contrary to truth and life. The scriptures help to clean my feet of this worlds falsity by teaching me the true Way and they guide me, as an ambassador of Light, into righteousness even in the midst of this dark and evil world.

• 5 months later...

The Old and the New Testaments shines a light on the truth of Jesus Christ. It allows us to be aware of the truth and not fooled by the teachings of any false teacher that may try trick me into believing that my Lord and Savior is not who He says He is and I know better than that because of the Word of God. The darkness represent the lies of the evil one. The light represent Jesus Christ, the Word, the Truth and The Light of the world.

• 1 year later...

Q2. (2 Peter 1:19).

In what ways do the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments act for you as "a light shining in a dark place"?

What does the darkness represent? What does the light represent?

We are told to meditate and study the Word, treasuring it in our hearts, for it will serve as a light in this dark world. Darkness seems to represent this world and all its evil. Scripture is depicted as

• 1 year later...

In a world [our country] that has forgotten or is ignoring GOD, the stories of the Messiah from the profits and the Truth of the Gospel are our hope of eternal truth and life, and our fulfillment through Christ and Christ alone, on earth. Life is a battle field, how we let our mind react to things that come our way is critical. Also, as we see others witness, being put to the test we need to remember to encourage one another, because the darkness is waiting for us to slip and stumble, and to drag us down. Our only hope is Jesus our light in the darkness that will never go out. HE is our ALL in ALL. We are greatful that God chose to use Peter to encourage us with this text.

• 1 year later...

2a)God inspires and spoke through his prophetic prophetsThe HS works in us as we read OT prediction of events that unfold in NT,&points to hope& better future on earth and eternally.NT brings instruction hope,encouragement, Together OT &NT give full picture and help us know His light and enlightenment bringing hope in seemingly dark times. God’s Word is living &active, like active jigsaw puzzle each part connected to others,speaking into present situations, as through the ages.

.b)Darkness represents unbelief &forces of evil, seeking to bring doubt,&confusion to our thinking to lead us away from God’s truth.

C)Light represents God’s Word, the truth, through life &words of Jesus, narrative of eye witnesses.and His Spirit shining through any doubts,walking in right ways and holy living so we may be changed and be his representative heirs.

• 6 months later...

The Psalmist says it best:  "Your Word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path."  Ps.  119:105  The Psalmist describes God's Word as a guide for living.  God's Word is light.  Particularly in a dark world or a dark place.  God's light is understanding in a dark world where there is no real understanding.