JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Contending for the Faith

THE FAITH IS MORE THAN OBJECTIVE TRUTH. IT IS THE WAY WE LIVE OUR LIVES. WE MUST FIGHT TO DEFEND GOD'S WORD. WE MUST DENY OURSELVES WHILE DEFENDING THE INFALLIBLE, INERRANT WORD OF GOD.

WE MUST TAKE A DIRECT STAND AGAINST THOSE THAT DENY BIBLE AUTHORITY OR DISTORT ANCIENT FAITH AS PRESENTED BY CHRIST

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jude,were very concern about the belivers salvation than and even now he knew back between the time A.D. 65-80

around the time this book was written, that there would be false teaching this was a warning for generation to come.

Every who say they are working in the name of the is not doing so.

today we has to be careful of what we listen to. When Jesus walked among men he taught the truth and nothing else.

• 2 weeks later...

We should always be on guard and aware of false teachers. Folling false teachings will not lead to everlasting life. It shows that we are not followers of God but of the devil (satan). The way we should keep the correct balance is to study and read the Bible daily and be around people who are in the accurate truth and in doing that we will make God pleased.

Let's discusses the problems with false teachers in our day, while being careful not to bash denominations in the Forum. It's a fine line, but I expect you to walk it with me.

Q1. (Jude 3) Why must we "contend for the faith"? What is the danger in not challenging the doctrines of false teachers? What is the danger inherent in challenging them? How can we keep the correct balance?

We contend for the faith, so that we may drink freely of the water of life with the saints :). We already know by experience, the difficulty of righteousness while under pressure, so there fore we must make an effort, a very stong effort to remain balanced in The Word through the trials of life, be that which they may...

If ye be off some other way then ye be damned.

The danger in not chanllenging the doctrines of other's, is just that, not proving them/testing their spirit, which if deceived leads to death.

To know if "one" is false, ye must know & understand God.

II Timothy 2:15 Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. So that ye may defend the Word of Truth & remain in Righteouses for Christ sake, whom is glorified in us!!!

Let's discusses the problems with false teachers in our day, while being careful not to bash denominations in the Forum. It's a fine line, but I expect you to walk it with me.

Q1. (Jude 3) Why must we "contend for the faith"? What is the danger in not challenging the doctrines of false teachers? What is the danger inherent in challenging them? How can we keep the correct balance?

WE MUST STRIVE TOWARDS OUR FAITH,BE STRONG AND MAY I ADD BE BOLD.IT IS OUR DUTY TO FIGHT FOR GODS TRUTH BUT WE MUST DO IT IN A LOVING WAY.WE MUST PROTECT OURSELVES AND OTHER BELIEVERS,WIN BACK THOSE WHO HAD ALREADY BEEN DECEIVED.THE DANGER IS IF WE DONT CHALLENGE THESE FALSE TEACHERS THERE COULD BE MANY LED ASTRAY.WE MUST BE CAREFUL NOT TO DRIFT AWAY FROM A FAITHFUL COMMITMENT TO CHRIST.WE MUST STUDY THE HOLY WORD OF GOD,WHERE WE WILL BE READY TO DEFEND OUR FAITH.PRAY THE HOLY SPIRIT WILL TEACH US ,GUIDE US AND DIRECT US IN THE TRUTH,SO WE MAY HELP OTHERS.

• 4 weeks later...

Q1. (Jude 3) Why must we "contend for the faith"?

So we will be ready to witness to unbelievers and be ready to answer any questions that they have. God gave us His Word and it is our responsibility to protect it.

What is the danger in not challenging the doctrines of false teachers?

False teachers undermine the faith and keep unbelievers from coming to Christ.

What is the danger inherent in challenging them?

By challenging false teachers, we are in danger of becoming prideful. We must be careful to not boast or brag about our challenges.

How can we keep the correct balance?

First and foremost we must be doing it for the right reason, for the Glory of God. If we keep our focus on Him, we won

• 2 weeks later...

THIS QUESTION CERTAINLY HAS STIRRED THE SOUP

I AM OF THE OPINNION OF WE MUST STAND FOR WHAT

THE TRUTH IS AND WE MUST ARM OURSELVES WITH THE

ARMOR OF GOD.

THIS WORK SHOULD BE APROACH AT THE SAME TIME

FROM A TEAM OF BELIEVERS AND NOT FROM ONE ALONE

SATAN IS TO POWERFUL LET'S NOT FORGET THAT

MAY GOD RICHLY BLESS YOU.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Jude 3) Why must we "contend for the faith"?

We must 'contend for the faith', as it is a part of our mandate,

Go ye therefore, and teach all nations,...teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.(Matt.27&28)

We must 'teach' or tell the nation of Christ, we must let our faith be known to others, we must challenge false prophets;

"Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world" 1 John 4:1-3.

The danger in not challenging false teachers is that, left to themeselves they may be led to actually beleive that what they are saying is true, and they may be able to lead others away from the truth, away from God.

And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many...For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect".

In order for us to prevent this, they should be challenged.

In challenging them, we may find ourselves becoming filled with anger and we may even become distraught and feel like giving up on them, because, sometimes its really difficult to get through to them. The whole denominational issue that was mentioned by Pastor Ralph, always seems to be drawn into play, with these false teachers, but I think its just a ploy to get us off their cases, as one respondent mentioned before, we sholud approach them with love, and make sure we ask for guidance and covering from the Lord.

There's is only way to keep the correct balance. That is... to be firmly grounded in the word, to follow the precepts of the Lord, and to rely on Him in all we do.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We must contend for the faith in order not to let false teachers pervert the Gospel potentially leading both christian and non-christian astray. False teachers must not go unchallenged in order that the Gospel be defended -- in order that the truth be weighted against falsehood.

The inherent danger of challenging false teachers is making yourself look narrow-minded or dogmatic. However, we must challege in love and patience without anger in order not to appear mean spirited. We challenge in Christ likeness.

For the first time I entered a response to a Christian blog from a major magizine, responding to an editorial about and article concerning the questionable finances of the pastors of a major church. My questions and response were all based upon scripture. Wow! Replies were all over the place. People were in support of prosperity messages, pastors living in the lap of luxury while others in the congregation lived in virtual poverty, complete lack of knowledge as to the Lord's walk, the Acts of the Apostles as to the standard by which our Christanity should be governed and on and on. Those who agreed with what I stated were slammed, insulted and literally abused, by supposed Christians.

In all of this I have learned to speak my piece, give a retort if needed and walk away. It does no good to cast pearls begore swine and argue with people who have become heretics because of those false prophets who have led them astray.

• 2 months later...

We must contend for the faith- because the truth of the Bilbe must be compromised. It gives us the real facts about Jesus and salvation. We all believe that the Bible is is inspired by God and should never be twisted or manupulitaed, when it is , we can become confused over right and wrong and lose sight of the only path that leads to eternal life,

So we must stand our ground and defend our faith in God. There are many challenges we face but God Has assuerd us that He will never leave us He will be with us untill the end f the ages,

We can defend the faith only if we know the truth by studying God's word the Bible.

We can defend the faith as we grow peresonally with Christ. We must have a personal relationship with Him.

We can defend faith by remaining unified on the essentials. We may differ on our deffirent sytle of worship in differnt Churchs but the Gospel remain One in Christ.

• 8 months later...

1) We must "contend for the faith" because God has commanded us to do so in this God-breathed scripture. Jesus said "if you love me you will obey my commands." Jesus also said that we who love Him will be known as His disciples by our love for one another. Therefore, our motivation to war against false teaching is love.

2) The danger in not challenging false teachers is that the true gospel, which is the power of God unto salvation for all who believe, may not be understood. How can someone be saved by a false gospel? And how can someone be saved by the true gospel if they have not understood it? False teachings, if left unchallenged, can cause even those who have understood the true gospel to abandon the truth and shipwreck the faith they once had. Our faith is a matter of ETERNAL life and death. Nothing is more important to protect for ourselves and our brothers - nothing! For this reason, we must view the presentation of false teachings as an opportunity, through the challenge of them, to encourage the faith of those who trust the true gospel and to expose the unsaved to the word of truth.

3) The danger inherent in challenging false teachers is that they and their followers may turn and tear our material life to pieces. We, however, do not serve material things because our spiritual life is not found in them, We serve God in Whom our life is found! Also, in correcting false teaching, we must be careful to do so gently. What a terrible thing it would be to cause someone who has barely embraced a false doctrine to take hold of it with full force because we challenged it in man's anger (which does not bring about the kind of righteousness that God desires) and without considering with understanding and compassion the weakness of our brother.

4) If we are motivated by love for our neighbors, the approach of our challenge to false teaching will be balanced by God in a manner that does bring about the kind of righteousness He desires.

• 5 months later...

If we don't "contend for the faith" souls will be lost because someone taught them the wrong thing about Christ. We are not to bash anyone because that is not showing the love of Christ Jesus. We are to speak the truth as God intended with all the love the Word of God teaches us. Challenging false teaches can be dangerous because some may become physical and someone may get hurt behind it. It is the love of God we must show continually to those who do not know the truth and to study the Word of God so that you won't be tripped up in front of non-believers, and those who are weak in the faith.

• 1 year later...

Q1. (Jude 3)

Why must we "contend for the faith"?

We have to protect the faith from being watered down or diluted with any kind of false doctrine. New Christians might be especially vulnerable to false doctrines, and they have to be protected until they are able to discern for themselves. We notice Jude writes about

• 2 months later...

This topic reminds me of the end of The Manhattan Declaration which states:

Because we honor justice and the common good, we will not comply with any edict that purports to compel our institutions to participate in abortions, embryo-destructive research, assisted suicide and euthanasia, or any other anti-life act; nor will we bend to any rule purporting to force us to bless immoral sexual partnerships, treat them as marriages or the equivalent, or refrain from proclaiming the truth, as we know it, about morality and immorality and marriage and the family. We will fully and ungrudgingly render to Caesar what is Caesar's. But under no circumstances will we render to Caesar what is God's.

The danger in not challenging false doctrine is that we become complicit in leading others astray.

The danger inherent in challenging false teachers is that we could become involved in unprofitable arguments.

To maintain the correct balance we have to learn to maintain an attitude of love.

• 10 months later...

If someone believes in God and is of another faith, we can say this is false.... but is it? What is God's plan fro humanity?

If someone loves Jesus and says " I want to be like HIM!" But that same person says I am saved and don't have to go to church... what is this? What if a person says Allah is Father God? What if, it sounds like a test that God has planned for us.

Is it a love test? Is it a test to love that person and hear them out and then pray for them? Any time we're engaged enough to hear someone out,we can ask why is God doing this to me, and how can I love this other person/soul who is believing something that I do not?

Perhaps my lesson here is to learn to pray for false teachers to see the true light? To engage in a debate is like fighting and this accomplishes nothing. In a public forum, perhaps that is different. But sine we are flawed sinners, how can we judge anyone?

Thank your Dr. Ralph for bring this out into the open. Is there another answer except to LOVE thy neighbor as thyself, while holding on dearly to the one who loves us more than we can love?

• 1 year later...

a)We must contend for the faith,challenging false teaching by well thought out, clear statements, to make sure the true Gospel is not undermined.

B) The danger in not challenging,is we become or are seen as passive acceptors of false teaching,&Christ is misrepresented,.

c) In challenging people at risk of conflict,being outcast,having reputation as a religious fixed view person& seen as being contencious.Risk of being persuade false teachers are right

.D)we can keep the balance by using Christ’s example, speaking His words of salvation for people gently in love and humility,seeking unity of believers. Need to not create bitter feelings, correcting those who are ill informed& know no better, but saving our challenges for those who knowingly seek to convey messages that confuse, lead people away from Christ.

• 6 months later...

We must content for the faith so that the faith remains as the Apostles passed it from Jesus Christ to us down through the ages.  Anything that adds or detracts from the Gospel of Jesus Christ makes it another gospel.  Paul was really adamant about that in his Letter to the Galatians.  The Gospels, Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, preserve that account.

The danger in not challenging the doctrines of false teachers is allowing false teaching to go unchallenged.  Challenging forces all parties concerned to defeat and explain their beliefs or worldview openly for all to hear. 

The danger inherent in challenging false teachers is that you could be accused of having a mean spirit or that you are intolerant, etc.

The correct balance would be in presenting the gospel in truth and love and letting the chips fall out as they may.  We are the messengers.  You cannot truly force people to believe what they have no intention in believing.  Those that are truly looking for the truth will listen and consider what you are presenting.

The problem with getting hostile or argumentative in discussing Biblical truth is that the truth is lost in who is right and who is wrong.

Sow the truth and the rest is up to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

• 2 weeks later...

We must confront, challenge, and denounce false teachings and false teachers because we love others too much to want them to  be deceived and die in their sins without the true Jesus. 

We Christians must also challenge false teachings because we are too easily deceived ourselves and may come under the influence of these false teachings if we do not openly and explicitly and assertively confront the false teachers and their followers with the truth.  The Bible is full of warnings for Christians not to be deceived (Ephesians 5:6; Colossians 2:4; 2 Thessalonians 2:3; James 1:16; and more); so, we must not think that we are "safe." 

To protect ourselves, we Christians must study the Bible in detail, meditate on its teachings with much prayer,  and apply these teachings to our own lives.   Most of us do not do so with enough diligence and effort, and so, we make ourselves vulnerable to the false teachings.

We are influenced by the false teachers who explicitly say that we need to ignore the Bible and follow the new teachings God is giving through visions and direct mystical encounters [which contradict the Bible's teachings].  We are also influenced by those false teachers who "re-interpret" the passages of Scripture they don't like in ways that also contradict the original meanings.

We must also challenge, confront, and denounce the false teachers out of love for nonbelievers who will become "Christians" under these false teachings because they are not truly saved since they put their faith in a different Jesus, not the Jesus of the Bible.

When we confront and challenge the false teachings and teachers, we will face great danger because their prince is Satan and he will attack everyone who challenges his rule.  He will often make it seem like the attacks are coming from Christians who are defending the faith, and not him.  We can expect that

1) we will be lied to and lied about by other Christians

2) we will be accused of being unloving and hateful

3) we will be accused to perverting the faith and falsifying the truth

4) we will be kicked out, banned and shunned, by our local congregation

5) we will be labeled as "heretics" and may face physical and financial attacks from other Christians

6) our own families and many friends will disown us

[[A study of Christian church history will show us the rejection and suffering we can expect.]]

We must not compromise the truth for balance.  If we truly agape-love others, we will stand firm in our battle against false teachings and false teachers no matter what the cost, because if we love others, we will not want them to be deceived into following a different Jesus.  So, we just do it all at the same time:  fight for the truth of God as revealed in the Bible; love, exhort, edify, rebuke, and correct one another; agape-love nonbelievers and the false teachers and their followers and share the true gospel of Jesus Christ with them even when they reject and mistreat us;  and disciple and teach any new believers in the truth of God and in Bible study with patience, kindness, and gentleness.

As I observe the various congregations', denominations', and individual teachers' public presentations of their current teachings,  I am both glad and sad:  glad because some are contending for the true faith and standing firm when attacked,  and SAD because  

way too many are following false teachings.   It seems that adherence to the truth of God is declining and acceptance of false teachings is increasing.  

• 4 months later...

Q1. (Jude 3) Why must we "contend for the faith"? We don’t need rocks to cry out; we must speak up.  Silence is not always golden…silence should not be interpreted as concent…Like a garden, if we don’t put in the right fruit; the weeds will take over.

What is the danger in not challenging the doctrines of false teachers?  If we don’t contend for the faith; Satan will definitely fill in the blanks.  We must not be the silent minority with a MAJORITY MESSAGE.

What is the danger inherent in challenging them?  The danger is that we will antagonize them.  We run the risk of being misunderstood.  We could inadvertently offend others who don’t have a clue of what is going on.

How can we keep the correct balance? Walk our talk.  Respond offensively and not defensively when inquiries are made.  Be ready to preach in and out of season but studying to show ourselves approved and any given moment.

• 1 year later...

Q1. (Jude 3) Why must we "contend for the faith"? What is the danger in not challenging the doctrines of false teachers? What is the danger inherent in challenging them? How can we keep the correct balance?          ​

We must contend our faith to challenge the false teachers and make sure that the true gospel is contrasted with the false teaching and proved to be the authentic teaching of Jesus and his apostles.​

• We can easily become reactionary rather than proactive, spending our time renouncing false doctrine rather than spreading the Gospel to those who haven't heard it yet.
  • We can become contentious, that is, we can get a reputation for being fighting Fundamentalists, rather than a reputation for love which is our hallmark.
  • We can become lazy and tolerant, and let false teaching go unchallenged.

We can keep the correct balance by speaking the truth in love and humility with unity as our aim (Ephesians 4:15).​

​