JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Gideon wants to make sure of his faith in the Lord God so he asks for 2 different signs from the Lord. Gideon wants to make sure his faith is solid in the Lord so he tests him to make sure that the Lord God is with him all the way in this situation, and I really don

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are basic "truths" of scripture that we have no right to "test God" on Holiness and Unity of Believers comes to mind.

Then there is the "call" of God on the life of an individual. I believe God validates these "calls" in many ways. A person called to pastor may have this "calling" verified through friends and mentors and biblical truths as well as a longing in their heart that will not be satisfied any other way. And yet when they step into the pulpit we expect there to be "fruit" as they do and preach the Lord's will to validate their calling.

Are these not all "fleeces"?

God honors those "whose hearts are perfect towards him" and this may be the difference. He who sees our heart knows the need we have and desires that we may be strengthened in his might for the task he has given us. Selfish or self seeking "tests" are displeaasing to God. Seek him with all your heart and you will find him and believe he is the rewarder of them who seek him this way... Heb. 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to be well-pleasing unto him; for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that seek after him.

God Bless!

Q2. (Judges 6:36-39) Why does Gideon put out a fleece before the Lord -- twice? Is this a sign of unbelief or of belief? This is a "testing" of God? How does it differ from the sinful testings of God the scripture warns against? When, if ever, should we ask God to confirm his direction with a sign? What is the danger of demanding a sign?

Gideon puts out a fleece before the Lord because he wants to make sure that what God has promised that God will save Israel by his hand is true

This is not a sign of unbelief, but the establishing faith

No, this doesn

Q2. (Judges 6:36-39) Why does Gideon put out a fleece before the Lord -- twice? Is this a sign of unbelief or of belief? This is a "testing" of God? How does it differ from the sinful testings of God the scripture warns against? When, if ever, should we ask God to confirm his direction with a sign? What is the danger of demanding a sign?

Gideon puts out a fleece before the Lord because he wants to make sure that what God has promised that God will save Israel by his hand is true

This is not a sign of unbelief, but the establishing faith

No, this doesn

In the face of great danger for himself and those who may follow him he needed confirmation. Many a man has followed his "own heart" without God's confirming their call, much to the dismay and sometimes harm of those following them.

One fleece may be a miracle or a mistake! Two fleeces is pretty solid confirmation especially since they were reversed.

This is not for self for pride or power it is that God but to strengthen his faith in God's call, and belief that if He is really calling would also give the result of saving Israel. How could he possibly lead men into battle unless he "believed" with his whole heart his calling?

A sinful testing of God may be to get ones own way or try to get God to prove himself for our own prideful and self centered reasons. To get the job or impress others for our own gain.

When we feel a calling on our lives and scripture is not clearly speaking the direction we should go. There are general "calls" God places on every Believer these are clearly spoken of in scripture being "born again", holiness, being witnesses. But there are specific calls where a Believer may feel God's hand leading them a certain direction and these are not specifically spoken of through the "Word" but are the result of God speaking to the hearts of Believers and in these times I believe we are allowed to seek confirmation. The Bible tells us to test the Spirits...so we have the privilege to humbly ask God to confirm this "feeling" we have in our hearts that He is asking us to do some thing beyond where we are serving presently.

Again the attitude of the Believer must be "Lord, if it pleases you, give me a sign you are in this."

The danger is that we come to this "fleece" with any other motive and or attitude. The "fleece" can become our strength and is still only a part of God's calling on the lives of His people. If God is not with us all the fleeces in the world won't make a difference.

Let us seek Christ and Him alone and encourage others to follow us as we follow Jesus!

God Bless!

Gideon puts out fleece to make certain God will use him as a tool to save Israel. He puts out fleece again for added assurance. I think Gideon believes, but doubts himself. This could be lack of faith on Gideon's part. It doesn't appear he is trying to test God since he pleads with the Lord to not be angry with him. I feel this is different from sinful testing, because he is not tempting God. I don't think we should ask God for a sign. I believe God wants us to move ahead, faith believing. The danger of demanding a sign is we might possibly be punished by God, or God will not comply with our wishes. We are not being a strong Christian influence to others when we ask for a sign.

• 3 weeks later...

1. He put the fleece out twice to make sure that what he was told was from God.

2. Belief.

3. No. We all get ideas but some are our own some are from satin, but most are from God. We ask for a sign just to be sure we are in the will of God.

4. Sinful testing is sinful.

5. When your testing with the word of the Lord but your not sure.

6. The danger of demanding a sign is you show your unbelief.

• 1 month later...

Ans:

Faced with the enormity of the task and knowing his limitations and weaknesses, Gideon, I believe just want confirmation that God really meant what He told him to do. I don't think there was unbelief on the part of Gideon. He simply want his full faith anchored on God.

Sinful testings are things meant to test the power of God for personal pleasures while the testing of Gideon was made for confirmation.

When God will give me a task beyond my imagination to accomplish, I would request a sign from Him. The danger of demanding a sign is when we always rely on signs before accomplishing a task instead on total trust on God. Our trust on God should not be dependent on signs but rather faith. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Gideon asked God for a sign first to clarify that he understood correctly what God told him and second to assure him beyond any doubt.

Gideon is not testing God for proof of His existence, but rather proof of what God instructed Gideon to do.

We need assurance ourselves from time to time, but we need to make sure what we discern lines up with the bible.

• 3 months later...

Gideon was not strong in his faith yet and was needing reassurance. I don't see this as a sign of unbelief. I also see it as a picture of how gracious God is to condescend down to us because he knows our frame. I think it is wise to ask God's direction for our life decisions if we are uncertain and it is not something specifically against scripture. We don't know the future. God does. Sometimes God shows us with a 'sign' if we are truly uncertain as to the direction we should take.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

• 2 months later...

1. He wanted to make sure that God was telling him what to do.

2. Belief, he just wanted to make sure that he understood what he was to do.

3. No, but he was just so overwhelmed and needed assurance.

4. Gideon was asking humbly and trying to establish his faith.

5. If we aren't sure that a direction is really from God.

6. If we have faith and trust in God, we should believe and not ask for a sign. It shows that we doubt him.

• 3 weeks later...

1. Gideon puts out a fleece before the Lord for divine assurance that it is God's will.

2. This is a sign of wanting to anchor his faith in the Lord.

3. The sinful testing is trying to manipulate the Lord into doing what we want and not His will.

4. When we are not sure if it is the Lord instructing us to do something or our own minds telling us.

5. The danger of demanding a sign is that we could want to manipulate the Lord into doing our will and not His will.

• 5 months later...

Q2. (Judges 6:36-39) Why does Gideon put out a fleece before the Lord -- twice?

He wanted to be certain he had "heard correctly" and had the message and mission right.

Is this a sign of unbelief or of belief?

A sign of belief in God, but uncertainty in his ability to "hear" God.

This is a "testing" of God?

Not technically, because he was acting on faith rather than presumption or unbelief in God....just needed clarification.

How does it differ from the sinful testings of God the scripture warns against?

The other examples given were attempts to manipulate God into doing miracles to prove Himself.

When, if ever, should we ask God to confirm his direction with a sigh?

When we're uncertain about whether we've understood Him correctly. I've done this several times when needing reassurance about guidance. God has been gracious to restate the direction, so that I could obey without fear of going off in my own "strength".

What is the danger of demanding a sign?

The impudence of trying to manipulate God into violating His will. This He will not do anyway!

• 3 months later...

Q2. (Judges 6:36-39) Why does Gideon put out a fleece before the Lord -- twice? Is this a sign of unbelief or of belief? Does this constitute testing God? How does it differ from the sinful testings of God the scripture warns against? When, if ever, should we ask God to confirm his direction with a sign? What is the danger of demanding a sign?

He wanted confirmation of what God was going to do for Israel, and also to build the faith of Gideon... I would say belief . No He just wanted to confirm what God had told him to do. This is kinda of a scary place, we must belief,His word says God does not lie. All the results are God business or responsibility. My job is just to be available to be used by the Lord for his glory and honor. Back in Gideon's day the spirit of the Lord just came on him and left when the job finished, for us the Holy spirit is within us and guides us continually.

• 5 months later...

Q2. (Judges 6:36-39) Why does Gideon put out a fleece before the Lord -- twice?

I believe that gideon is, in fact, trying to discern God's voice from the other voices that may surround him. Voices of insecurity, voices of doubt and of fear. We all suffer from having voices crowd out God's voice. Why should gideon be any different?

In fact, he thought very small of himself. Now when God speaks to us today, don't we have that split second of doubt, fear, or unbelief? We're human and so was gideon. I try not to put the patriarchs of our faith on a pedestal(it's hard not to)yet I try.

Is this a sign of unbelief or of belief? Belief!

Does this constitute "testing" God? No. Only in Malchi 3 does God say "test Me"

How does it differ from the sinful testings of God the scripture warns against?

It's a matter of the heart. only God can judge the motives of the heart.

When, if ever, should we ask God to confirm his direction with a sign?

I believe that with the Holy Spirit and the Word of God and the measure of faith that God has givin us thru His Son Jesus Christ, that if we ever ask God for a conformation

of the direction that He is leading us into, it is with the Word He will answer us!

What is the danger of demanding a sign?

The danger is something like what happened to Zacheriah, the father of John the Baptist!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I believe that Gideon put out a fleece 2 different times due to his feeling inadequate in himself, and to be reassured that

he was hearing right from the Lord. So often our flesh can hinder our actions and being sensitive to the leadership of

the Holy Spirit. Gideon exhibited great respect and awe towards God, in that he sought God to not be angry, but he was

needing a confirmation that this was what God wanted him to do. He was not arrogant in any manner, but very humble.

Those who tested God did so irregardless of the sovereignty of God. They failed to remember who God was and is,

seeking to fulfill their lusts of the flesh. These people preferred to indulge themselves in rituals that made them feel good,

even though they knew to do so was against all that God stood for.

Sometimes we may feel God talking to us, leading us into a ministry or of service to Him. The first thing that happens is the

enemy will come and try to demean what God has been talking to you about. At those times, it is important to take this matter

back to the Lord, asking Him to confirm His leading, even if just to give us reassurance. Our Lord is a loving God, and under-

stands how weak we are, and that we often need to be encouraged.

• 2 months later...

Gideon put out a fleece before the Lord twice because he wanted to be sure that it was really what He wanted. I think it was a sign of belief because if Gideon hadn’t believed in the Lord he wouldn’t have even put this request before Him. I don’t think that it constitute a “testing” of God. It was just a reassurance that he understood him correctly.

This differs from the sinful testing of God the scripture warns against is because this was not for a selfish reason it was just for reassurance. I have asked God to confirm his direction with a sign and that has always been when I wasn’t two sure what He wanted me to do. The danger of demanding a sign is that maybe you won’t be completing the task that he assigned you because you are always trying to find a way out.

• 2 weeks later...

2a)Gideon wants assurance he has heard God’s instructions accurately&not acting from self motives.

B)I think Gideon believed and trusted the Lord.

C)This wasn’t testing to prove God’s abilities because of unbelief e.g.satan’s tests.

d)Gideon like us had feelings of inadequacy to fulfil God's request &asked for further sign to build his faith

e)We are open to satan’s lies of we are not equipped etc if we repeat requests for signs for selfish reasons.

F)It is for our selfish needs that we ask.This can cause a cycle of doubt, pain, hurt.God is love ∧he forgives.

• 11 months later...

Poor Gideon I expect, like all of us, in the aftermath of so great a revelation, began to have some doubts as to whether the enormity of the task should have been assigned to him. He had already been called a 'Mighty Warrior' leading him to think that this was altogether too much ! I believe that his fleece testings were to rid himself of his self doubts and to go forward as God had called him in certainty and purpose. So he was not 'testing' God as to HIs existence, but as to His purpose on this occasion. I think we could ask God for a sign when we are uncertain of His particular purpose for us, but this should be confirmed in our hearts and not by external tings.

Gideon, I believe, was almost overwhelmed by the discovery of God's will for him in that he would be the instrument of deliverance from the Israelites' habitual enemies. So the fleeces were his way af asking an assurance only that he, Gideon, had heard correctly. He apologises for the second fleece episode almost knowing it to be a foolish thing to do but he desperately needs further assurance of the task ahead. Humanly speaking, I feel that we could all identify with this situation, especially, as someone has said here, that Gideon was a new believer, in the fullest sense. God was gracious, as ever, and did not chide Gideon for his requests possibly realising the initial frailty of Gideon's faith. So I do not consider the requests to be ones of unbelief. And certainly not ones that tested God. Sinful testings would seem to demand a sign for God's existence and this here is clearly not of that nature. Praying for assurance for something that affects you might result in a peaceful heart and I think that God would encourage this sort of request.

• 1 year later...

Gideon wanted to be reassured that what he was hearing from God was true, so that is why he put a fleece out two times before the Lord.  Unlike the rebellious Israelites, Gideon's heart was desirous of pleasing the Lord and doing His will.  The Israelites, on the other hand, tested God and asked for a sign for selfish reasons.  They wanted God to do things their way or no way!  God's authority and plan were not respected.  Their hearts were hardened and rebellious against the Lord.

• 3 years later...
On 1/24/2003 at 11:13 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Judges 6:36-39) Why does Gideon put out a fleece before the Lord -- twice? Is this a sign of unbelief or of belief? Does this constitute testing God? How does it differ from the sinful testings of God the scripture warns against? When, if ever, should we ask God to confirm his direction with a sign? What is the danger of demanding a sign?

He was seeing if God was with him.  Unbelief because he did it twice, although it was not total disbelief Gideon just wanted confirmation from God.   Yes, Gideon was testing God, for he wasn’t sure he was the one to deliver Israel.  You don’t want to provoke God to anger, by breaking his commandments or questioning His authority and Omniscience.  If we are unsure of what He wants us to do, God knows we need to be encouraged sometimes and He also knows how to encourage us.  Well God could kill you dead in an instant if we make him mad enough like Uzzah who touched the ark of the covenant and God kills him instantly.  The danger of demanding a sign from God could fill Him with wrath against you.  God was even going to kill Moses his servant for not circumcising his son, Moses’s wife Zipporah saves Moses by circumcising Gershom because God had stricken Moses with an illness.

• 8 months later...

Q2. (Judges 6:36-39)

Q. Why does Gideon put out a fleece before the Lord -- twice?

A. To seek confirmation from God that He had actually sent him to fight and deliver Israel from their enemies.

Q. Is this a sign of unbelief or of belief?

A. Not really. Gideon needed to be sure he heard God clearly.

Q. Does this constitute "testing" God? How does it differ from the sinful testings of God the scripture warns against?

A. No. A testing done like that by Satan in the desert is an attempt to make God do a miracle to for a selfish reason.

Q. When, if ever, should we ask God to confirm his direction with a sign?

A. when we need to be double certain we have really heard Him clearly.

Q. What is the danger of demanding a sign

A. It can be as a result of lack faith.

• 1 year later...
On 1/24/2003 at 11:13 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Danger is looking for a sign to meet your own design, not to know, obey and love Jesus.