JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. God's View of Adultery

GOD MADE WOMAN FOR ONE MAN, SO BEING MARRIED AND COMMITTING ADULTERY WITH ANOTHER IS VERY SERIOUS TO GOD. IT IS PUNISHABLE BY DEATH AS A SIN AGAINST GOD HIMSELF. ALL SINS CAN BE FORGIVEN SO LONG AS REPENTANCE COMES FROM THE HEART. WE HAVE A MERCIFUL GOD THAT IS QUICK TO FORGIVE. IT GRIEVES GOD SO MUCH WHEN WE SIN, HE IS JUST WAITING FOR US TO ASK FOR FORGIVENESS..

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God sees adultery as sin. It would later become one of the 10 commandments, 'thou shall not commit adultery.' God sees adultery as a sin punishable by death.

Even if someone commits adultery, they can be forgiven. Jesus forgave the woman who was caught in adultery by the religious leaders who were trying to trick Him. He told the adulteress she was forgiven and to go and sin no more.

Q3. (20:3-6) What does this story teach us about God's view of adultery?

God hates adultery as He hates all sin.

Can God forgive a person who has committed adultery?

Adultery, like all sin, can and will be forgiven, but only if we repent and accept Jesus as our Personal Lord and Savior. Just saying I

What does this story teach us about God's view of adultery? It teaches us that we cannot lie about the relationship between us and our spouse, even if we are afraid. It also teaches us that there are dire consequences to be suffered if we commit this sin

Can God forgive a person who has committed adultery? Yes, He can forgive this sin, because He has for me! Forgiveness only comes with true confession, true repentance, and true following and love for God

God is love. A marriage covenant is based on that. Adultery goes against that by betraying a sacred trust, being selfish and caring about the satisfaction of the flesh as opposed to the hurt feelings of those you are to LOVE, and in this day (and in the past also as we have studied), inviting literal death into your home against your loved ones. With God being love, it's no wonder the consequenses are serious with this level of betrayal. Even if there is conflict within a marriage, God/love is patient.....suffers all things, and tries to work it out to it's end (if possible--sometimes the other party doesn't cooperate, as I'm sure God is mourning about being the groom and all).

Of course God will forgive. Just have to ask for forgiveness (apologize) and do that 180 degrees and go the other way. I have recieved some apologies and given some, and I am always amazed at how well a sincere apology removes pain.

Q3. (20:3-6) What does this story teach us about God's view of adultery? Can God forgive a person who has committed adultery?

IM SURE WE ALL KNOW THE COMMANDMENT ON ADULTRY.IN GODS VIEW IT IS A SIN.WHAT IT TEACHES US IS WE ALL KNOW ADULTRY CAUSES SO MANY DIVORCES IN FAMILIES,SEPERATING FAMILIES HURTING CHILDREN AS WELL.IF THIS SIN MANIFESTS IT CAN EVEN CAUSE DEATH,BECAUSE IT RAISES ANGER TO A POINT OF MORTAL SIN.

THIS STORY TEACHES US ADULTRY IS WRONG AND CAN CAUSE HARM TO OTHER PEOPLE.SEPERATE US FROM GOD AND CAUSE A LOT OF PROBLEMS.

YES GOD WILL FORGIVE ADULTRY. I BELIEVE THERE IS A LOT OF HEALING THAT HAS TO BE DONE IN THAT PERSONS MARRIAGE IF IT IS TO SURVIVE AND BOND TOGETHER AGAIN.

EVEN IF THE TWO SEPERATE I STILL BELIEVE GOD FORGIVES.WE HAVE TO LIVE WITH THE WRONGS WE DO IN OUR LIFE AND WE HAVE TO FORGIVE OURSELVES AS WELL.

Adultery is very serious. It is the only acceptable reason given in the bible for divorce. In the O.T., God punishes it by death. It is to be treated very seriously and not casually as it is today. God can forgive anyone with a repentant heart. In this story, however, Abimelech is warned by God, so it seems that Abimelech would die immediately (no time for repentance) if he commited adultery.

• 1 month later...
Q3. (20:3-6) What does this story teach us about God's view of adultery? Can God forgive a person who has committed adultery?

GOD does not like adultery its one of the commandments but if any one comits adultery and repent he will forgive them. and they can not sin any more.

• 2 weeks later...

God view this topic like adultery as a serious sin. If a person is willing realized what he/she has done, he/she should repent and ask God for forgiveness and ask Jesus to come into his/her heart.

• 1 month later...

Q3:

(a) This story teaches us about God's view of adultery is that adultery should be taken very serious. It is a sin that is punishable by death. It is a matter that we should take very seriously, not a situation that should be taken lightly, even in our Society today.

(B) Yes, God can forgive a person who has committed adultery because of His Son Jesus Christ. God sent His Son into the world to die for our sins. All we have to do is, "Confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." (Romans 10:9) True Repentence is the key! God is Merciful!

This story teaches us that GOD becomes very angry when someone commits adultery. In fact, GOD feels as though adultery should be punished by death. He also, takes this personal because it is a sin against him. Adultery is one of the ten commandments. Adultery is against GOD's laws and statutes.

I believe that GOD can forgive a person who commits adultery. Also, blasphemy is the only sin that I believe that is not forgiveable. :angry:

• 2 months later...

God's view of adultery in this case seems harsh, especially since Abimelech was told that Sarah was Abraham's wife. On reading the story, I belive that Abraham more commited a sin - a sin by deception which would have endangered Abimelech to commit adultery. It seems to me, that he onus is being put on Abimelech instead of Abraham.

The lesson here to me, is once again, God's ways are surely not our ways, therefore, at times His ways may be difficult for us to comprehend.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Adultery in God's view was serious enough for Him to command death for both person's involved. This is not only in the natural but spiritual adultery, in Matt. 12:39 Jesus calls the people a evil and adulterous generation looking for a sign here He was talking about a nation who had turned away from the Lord. Many think God changes just because society changes but not so He is the same yesterday, today and always. Those that think it ended with the old testament needs to read the many passages in the New Testament in 1 Cor. 6:9 it includes adulterers as part of the ones that will not inherit te kingdom of God.

Yes God can and does forgive adultery, but it has to be true repentence. It will deliver them from their sins not in their sins so it will require a turning away from the sin by God's mercy and salvation.

• 1 month later...

Is there ever an account in the Bible where God looked the other way when it came to adultery? I think not. According to Mosaic Law, adultery was punishable by death. Jesus was quite clear on what He thought about adultery in the gospels. He says in Matthew 5: 28, that adultery includes looking at a woman with **** in your heart. How have we gotten so far away from the Word? It breaks my heart! Can we be forgiven the sin of adultery? Yes, as with any other sin -- with repentence.

• 1 month later...

God is specific that adultery is a sin. In abraham's time, we must remember there is not ten commandments. Adultery as we define it was practiced at all levels of society. A ruler could take a subject's wife at any time. A host may arrange for a companion for a vistor. The sharing of wifes was not uncommon. God has a different plan for Abraham. God wants to start a nation based on Abraham and Sarah. God does not want Sarah abused in the way of the common practice of the time. God has a lesson to teach Abraham and the world. Adultery is wrong and will be punished.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

God don't play when it comes to adultry. and I find it sad that socielty as a whole kind of turns there head on the subject. Socity finds it grounds for divorce but doesn't see the true sickness and full nature of adultry.

God can forgive anyone for anything, if there is true repentance and I am pretty sure there will be some consequences to pay. God is a loving God, and he wants all to repent for there sins and to be forgiven

• 7 months later...

God warned His people in the Ole Testament and He does today. He hates aany sin against the body as the Holy Spirit dweells within. But on the caross Jessus said "It is finished' and that means ALL SIN, Present . past. and present.a If we confess with our mouth and a cknowledge our sin to the Father He is faithful to forive of all sin.

• 1 month later...

Having been a victim of adultery and divorce, I (like many out there) am suffering the consequences of anothers choice which is being backed and even funded by a prejudiced world system.

I know that God can forgive anyone who truly repents, but the consequences are going to be far more devastating for those who alleviate their conscience by leaning on laws that fly in the face of God, than it will be for those who turn to the Lord for peace and protection amidst the suffering they are experiencing at the hands of the adulterer, and at the hands of the lawmakers and law enforcers who protect them.

May Divine justice come to lawmakers who turn the tables on this haneous and grievous offence to punish the victims while protecting the perpetrators!

Marriage is the only earthy covenant that our Lord has given amongst men, which is to mirror His covenant with us, and I believe that if gone unrepented of, the consequences are far greater for the adulterer than the sum total of those whose lives are being systematically destroyed by their actions.

Perhaps another good question for another forum would be:

Can a true believer divorce?

As the Scriptures tell us about the non-believing spouse scenario, nothing is mentioned about believers divorcing...

I truly believe that someone who initiates divorce apart from a sound Scriptural mandate is not a true believer to begin with.

These people need salvation!

Just food for thought...

Although the Scriptures hold out redeeming hope for the adulterer, I am glad that Gods grace extends to the outermost, because it just as easily could be any one of us reading this who is on the other end of this topic.

Despite the good news for those who have commited this sin,

one fact still holds true:

The wage of sin is still death.

My weary soul cries out for justice in all of this, as the consequences simply don't & won't dissapear.

I can only imagine how our Father feels about His experience with this.

Jesus had to die because of our own bad choices.

I can't wait for Christ's glorious return.

What a wonderful day that will be!

There will be no finger pointing in Heaven.

Please accept my apology for wandering off topic just a bit.

This one hit very close to home.

• 2 months later...

Adultery is a sin though this scripture doesn't seem to lay blame on Sarah or Abraham who gave her over in order to save himself. It does, however, show that God does hold a dim view of those who are involved in such an act.

God is faithful and just to forgive all manner of sin, except blasphemy of the Holy Ghost. He does though, have His limitations (Heb 10:26) when we are able to walk away from our sin and do not.

• 3 months later...

From this story, we learn that God views adultery as a very serious sin.

God can forgive a person who has committed adultery just as He will forgive anyone of any sin if the sinner seriously repents and asks for forgiveness. What a wonderful gift to know that God will forgive us and that with His strength we can overcome temptations in our lives. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

This shows that God despises adultery. Yes the Lord will forgive if we repent. David tried to cover his sin with Bathsheba but sins can't be hidden from God. When he repented of his sin God forgave him. But there were consequences to be paid for the sin (the baby died). Later God blessed David and Bathsheba with Soloman.