JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Your Shield and Suzerain

Q1. (15:1) What does it mean to you personally to call God your "Shield"? What does it mean to you that he promises to you (as heir of the promises to Abraham) "an exceedingly great reward"? What does it mean to you to call God your Suzerain or Sovereign?

IT is an underserved priviledge for me to call God my Shield; for i'm a sinner, separated from God. IT is only by His grace and mercy i'm reconciled and bestowed such an honour. I'm all the more humbled that he promises me an exceedingly great reward. I'm comforted that GOd is my Sovereign, at the same time cautious that i do not fall into sin; which saddens my Sovereign LOrd, Protector and Father.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Lesson4 Q 1:

(a) To call God my shield means I have a protector who covers me all the time. I need not fear because I have someone who is with me in all situations. God is my shield - He covers me.

(B) It means to me that He promises, "an exceedingly great reward", is so long as I am an heir of the promise to Abraham I have hope. Hope for today, the future and a manison with my Great God. A reason to live! Amen!

© To call God my Suzerain or Sovereign is I have someone greater than man who is in control of everything. "God is my shield and my very great reward" (15:1b)

• 7 months later...

Q1. (15:1) What does it mean to you personally to call God your "Shield"? What does it mean to you that he promises to you (as heir of the promises to Abraham) "an exceedingly great reward"? What does it mean to you to call God your Suzerain or Sovereign?

He is my protector who goes before me and when trails, persecutions and danger comes he raised up to shield me that my faith remains strong.

As my Sovereign God I know there is no other, no one else above Him, no one with more power. He controls the very elements of nature how could I not let Him control me?

• 4 weeks later...

When I get discouraged or heavy-hearted, I just read Psalm 46 that tells me, among other things, that God is my very present help in trouble. That is what calling God my "shield" means to me. My great reward will be to get to heaven. God gave His only Son that I might do so. Calling God my sovereign is realizing that God is all powerful and controls all things, including my life.

• 9 months later...

When I pray for pprotection I vieew Godd as my shield and goes before me as I walk through life. All that the Lord has promised is there for my choosing and to enoy while giving glory to Him. God is almighty and over all, He has made us and is the supreme ruler.

As a child of God He promised me to protect me where ever I go. He is with me at all times. God is in comlete control at all times. God has aplan for all. and if I follow His commands and listen for His voice I will reap all the benefits of all He has promised.

• 3 months later...

God has chosen me and has taken upon Himself the duties of my protecter. As such He is my sword, my shield and my buckler. He covers me front and back from the wicked, as long as I am faithful to my calling.

His great reward is His unfeigned love for me and all that heaven can offer is open to me. He gives me life and freedom for which there can be no greater blessing.

As my Suzerain He provides for me as I need and I belong to Him, and give Him my undieing allegiance.

• 3 months later...

God is my "Shield" in that He is my constant protection. One part of the exceedingly great reward is the peace of knowing God is faithful and will keep all of His promises. A great reward that He promises is eternal life with Him for those who Believe and Trust Him.

God is called my Suzerain or Sovereign in that he has complete control over everything which happens in my life and I know I can trust Him to protect and watch over me. All I need to do is turn my life over to Him to have joy and peace.

• 2 weeks later...

God is my shield and my protector. When all else fails me, he never does. He is always there to help, protect, lead, and council me. He promises me a great reward - to me that refers to everlasting life in heaven with my Lord.

• 4 months later...

Q1. (15:1) What does it mean to you personally to call God your "Shield"?

To personally call God my shield is to remove myself from fear, from lack, from poverty; because Our Sovereign God shields me from all that and will protect me.

What does it mean to you that he promises to you (as heir of the promises to Abraham) "an exceedingly great reward"?

God's exceeding great reward for me as heir of the promises to Abraham means that the richest of the promise land is also mine and I can live in this promise.

What does it mean to you to call God your Suzerain or Sovereign?

As my Suzerain or Sovereign, God has a great reward for me here on earth and awaiting me in heaven. God is no respector of person, as He did it for Abraham He will do the same for me.

For God to be my shield means he is my protector, my defense in times of trouble and in times of peace. It means everything to me that God has promised an exceedingly great reward. In Romans it says we are to offer our bodies as living sacrifices, not to conform to this world, and we must be transformed by having our minds renewed. I want to live this way so that I may have that great reward. To see as many people as possible receive the same reward. It's humbling to call God Sovereign. He is the almighty, the creator of heaven and earth.

• 2 months later...

it means a closer walk with God , wheren he reveals to me how great a companion to me is He ., as a shield in all the good times as well as the bad times in my life

An exceedingly great reward means - that according to my faith , God is able to do excedingly more than I can ask or think or imagine

Calling God my soverign meanns acknowledging him in all my ways - in effect , allowing Lord Jesus to have the complete headship and Lordship over my life . This is a challenge for me , every day

• 3 months later...

I think it is an amazing reward to have God as my "shield." The fact that God honors those who honor Him fills me with great confidence, hope, and inspiration. This assurance most importantly has enhanced my love for God. It fills with a determined loyality to Him.

• 2 months later...

For me to call God my shield is to know that I am protected from all harm, there is nothing that the devil can do to touch or destroy my faith in my Lord Jesus. To me, the promises of God is more than I can imagine. I have and still experiencing the blessings of God. We serve an awesome, true, and faithful God. For me to call God my Sovereign is more than I can say in words. He has brought me through so much in the last six months, and is still teaching and guiding me. I know He is my Protector, Healer, Provider, Comfort, Counselor, Delieverer, and everything else that I need Him for.

This is one of God's character, The Lord is "WHO HE IS, HE IS FAITHFUL TO HIS PROMISES"

God as our shield and protection (and even identification) is a theme that runs through the Bible. David says of God in Psalm 18:35, "You have given me the shield of your salvation, and your right hand supported me and your help made me great." When others fail us, when we cannot help ourselves, the I AM is always there for us. In the "armor of God" (Ephesians 6), the shield of faith is in fact our trust in God to protect us

• 1 month later...

To me, God is my shield, my covering, my hiding place, my all in all, my strong tower where I can go when all hell is coming against me. Those times when I can't see my way, when my very innermost being is being tested, I find out the only source of help is to go to the One who controls everything, who loved me so much He gave His only beloved Son who died for me.

His promises of "an exceedingly great reward" is something I hold onto, knowing that the things I face today and go through will one day be worth it all, if I will just hold on and remain faithful. He does give me rewards still on this earth, but my heavenly reward is something I can't fathom yet.

God is my Lord and Savior, the one who is with me through everything, who never leaves me alone, always constant in my life. Having Him as Sovereign Lord assures me that He will always direct my steps, providing for me even in ways that I may not understand, and gives me peace of mind. Being a daughter of the King is a divine blessing, and one that I never want to lose.

• 3 months later...

Q1. (15:1) What does it mean to you personally to call God your "Shield"? It gives me a sense of peace to know my protector is also the God who created me. Who greater to trust with my life?

What does it mean to you that he promises to you (as heir of the promises to Abraham) "an exceedingly great reward"? I am truly blessed to have a God who loves me with the grace that God loves me with

What does it mean to you to call God your Suzerain or Sovereign? To me... that is the ultimate gift, and I consider myself more wealthy than any level of earthly wealth.

• 8 months later...

What does it mean to you personally to call God your "Shield"? It means that He is my shield against my enemies and against evil. As with any shield however, I have to keep it raised and in position, otherwise it would be useless. I keep it raised and in position by keepi8ng my faith in God and by trusting Him for everything. As long as I do that, God remains as my shield which gives me the ultimate protection and courage.

What does it mean to you that he promises to you (as heir of the promises to Abraham) "an exceedingly great reward"? This promise means everything to me. My reward here and now is the ability to be able to walk with Christ everyday of my life and to know the peace which that walk brings. My ultimate reward is to be in God's presence surrounded by His love forever.

What does it mean to you to call God your Suzerain or Sovereign? I have given myself completely to God. When He speaks, I listen and when He commands, I obey. In return, He has promised to be there for me when I need Him forever.

• 2 weeks later...

To me to have God as my shield is to be aware of His presence at all times. He portects me from the evils of this world. He is my protecter, my shield, my healer, my provider, He is my everything.

His promises are everlasting. It gives me great joy to know that one day I will be with Him. This is the greatest reward anyone could look forward to. He is our reward now and forever.

I am in awe of our Sovereign God. It gives me peace to call Him Sovereign, to know He is there all the time to protect me and to know the one true God of everything loves me, for me is overwhelming.

• 2 weeks later...

What security, what assurance,what a privilege to know God as my Shield.

Where would I be without Jesus, outside Gods promises outside the knowledge of sins forgiven. What a joy,what a hope that we have. A Sovereign God,my King, Abba,My Father.

Abba, Father! we adore Thee,

Humbly now our homage pay;

'Tis Thy children's bliss to know Thee,

None but children "Abba" say.

This high honor we inherit,

Thy free gift through Jesus' blood;

God the Spirit, with our spirit,

Witnesseth we're sons of God.

Thank you Lord for saving me.

• 2 months later...

God is my shield because without God I am nothing and cannot protect myself. The exceedingly great reward He promises me is eternal life and freedom from sin, the honor to know Him through His Son Christ Jesus. God is my Protector and I will, with His guidance, serve Him.

• 2 weeks later...

when I accepted Jesus as my Savior and Lord, I then came under the covering/protection of God,words can not express what that means to me, I have life and not death. I can not even comprehend or fathom what my Father has prepared for me in this world and for eternity. My Father goes before me preparing and directing my path, fulfilling the plan that He has for me. He is the author and finisher of my fate.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (15:1)

What does it mean to you personally to call God your "Shield"?

What does it mean to you that he promises to you (as heir of the promises to Abraham) "an exceedingly great reward"?

I know God

• 1 month later...

What does it mean to you personally to call God your "Shield?

It means that in the midst of my life and all it entails, I have a Lord who loves and offers me the protection of His majesty.

To Abram it meant the promise of an heir form his own body, that God is faithful and good to keep His promises to us.

I means tha I have the beloved hope that all will be okay because of my great God. He is the giver of good.....