JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Delay in Fulfilling Promises

Have you ever been frustrated with God for not fulfilling his promise to you immediately?

I don't think frustrated, but anxious, longing to see the promises fulfilled. I wanted a family so badly, a baby of my own to hold and I used to think and ponder why not me???? God was gracious and gave me a beloved son and daughter, through adoption and also birth. I still can not say that I understand the reasonings but God is Good and faithful.

Why does God sometimes delay the fulfillment of his promises to a future time?

Only God knows the right time, all of the promises must be in His due time. He knows when the end or beginning is near. He is patient and kind and gives us ample opportunity to work out things.....then the day of His promises take effect.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (15:16) Have you ever been frustrated with God for not fulfilling his promise to you immediately? Why does God sometimes delay the fulfillment of his promises to a future time?

Yes, I believe I have been frustrated with God for not fulfilling His promise to me, but it was lack of understanding on my part. I needed to be in the right place spiritually to receive what God had for me, and I'm still trying to get there. Thank God for His tender mercies and loving kindness.

God sometimes delay His promises because although we may think we are ready, sometimes we aren't sometimes it takes doing a work in us.

• 5 months later...

Q3. (15:16) Have you ever been frustrated with God for not fulfilling his promise to you immediately? Why does God sometimes delay the fulfillment of his promises to a future time?

I think all of us at the beginning of our walk with the Lord have gotten frustrated and even angry for not fulfilling his promises to us immediately. A lot of times when we are just babes He answers some of our prayers immediately and then we begin to think we have a "genie in a bottle here." We can get what we want when we want it. After we mature a little bit in the Lord He doesn't answer always when we want Him to because He is trying to develop us into the image of Christ. So he teaches us patience. He teaches us to trust in Him. He wants a closer relationship with us so He delays somethings in order for us to mature. Maybe even after we mature some in Him we would not want that thing anyway so He delays knowing that we will not want it later on. Even though we think we know what is best for us, He knows what is best.

• 3 months later...

1. Have you ever been frustrated with God for not fulfilling his promise to you immediately? Not on the order of this particular promise, because I don

• 10 months later...

3a)Waiting for healing, it can be frustrating to live with the consequences of illness.His timing &our timing may differ but God knows best

B)God uses the waiting time,to bring me closer to him,develop in me qualities of greater patience,steadfastness, endurance,faith, hope in him Hebrews 12:1-2let us run with endurance the race marked out for us.Let us fix our eyes on Jesus

• 1 year later...

no, but i always pray for the patience to wait because i know he will bring it to pass

God delays it for different reasons because he knows the end from the beginning, when one is not mature enough for that promise, when it is not the will of God

the devil can also delay like in the case of daniel when it was delayed by the prince of persia

• 1 month later...

I don’t know if I have been frustrated with God for not fulfilling his promise to me immediately but I have been frustrated that God has provided a request that I had asked for.

The only thing that I can think of God sometimes delaying the fulfillment of his promises to a future time in that it is for our own good. He has the ability to see all things and His timing is always the best.

• 7 months later...

God answers prayer at the most appropriate and opportune time.  Meanwhile I walk my walk with Him giving Him praise and thanksgiving along the way.  My frustration at times is not about God but about own selfishness or self-will.  The Scripture teaches us to rest and wait upon the Lord and that is what we should do.  It takes away frustration. 

As an afterthought, we should we live our lives in a way that doesn't bring about frustration.  Wait upon the Lord God.

• 2 years later...

I can think of many times that I had hoped God would work on my time frame not His--so I waited and waited.  In this process, I think there were growth in my prayer life to an understanding that He knows best.  If I give over to His time, I have the best--His perfect will in my life.

I may not understand the when and the how, but He dies, and that is what counts.  There is comfort in knowing one is in the arms of the Great Shepherd.

Why does God sometimes delay the fulfillment of his promises to a future time?  That is just what happened in our Scripture.  God had a plan and certain things had to be worked out: the sin of the Amorites, the slavery in Egypt, the Exodus, and the conquest of Israel.  God would delay the fulfillment of his promises to a future time--400 years later.

Is it not, to some extent, the same with us (me) that things are fulfilled in some future time.  Things just have to be worked out by the Lord.

• 3 months later...

I have never been frustrated with God's not fulfilling his promises to me. However, where I fit into his plan is a bit elusive at this time.

God's delay in the fulfillment of his promises to a future time is that evil has not yet come it's fullness or the prayers of the saints may have held back his plan.  

• 3 years later...

Yes I have been frustrated with God for not fulfilling His promises. But God makes all things beautiful in His time. He is never ahead nor behind His schedule. This understanding has helped me to wait patiently for His timing.

God is working all things together for the good of those who love Him and who are called according to His purposes. We don’t understand all things. But in the grand scheme of things, God is in control and He is synergizing all things to work together for the good of all those involved. So He may have to delay the fulfillment of His promises to a future time.

• 6 months later...

Yes more than once but I also know that God's timing is definitely not mine either. And I need to wait on His timing time and time again. I believe it's because we are not ready for what He prepared for us yet. 

• 2 months later...

our thoughts are not God's thoughts and our way is not God's way... We are to trust and wait on Him ... that is what we promised him we would do...complete trust...He is God Almighty.... it is His will and His way, however long it takes..  they that wait upon the Lord... teach me Lord how to wait....We do not understand the mind of God and we are not suppose to.. it is not required...He did not say for us to understand what He does... He said do what I say do.... obey me whether you understand or not..  All the we have read of God we accept as true  we believe.. so if we believe ,why question Him???  He has already done everything He said He would do.....so we can believe that there is more he will do....God has a time for the whole world to hear his word ... He knows when that is and it is not for us to know...we need to just be ready and to do what He is asking us to do.....Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess the He is Lord......when ever He say so....

• 1 year later...

Have you ever been frustrated with God for not fulfilling his promise to you immediately? Why does God sometimes delay the fulfillment of his promises to a future time?

God sees the complete picture and He sees all the 'ingredients' as it were that are necessary to complete the picture. (I only see a little bit) This takes time. GOD'S TIME. It is as some of the answers reflect, one wants things to fall into place so our loved ones too are saved and serving God, and that to be now. 

• 1 year later...

Unlike all the peaceful, contented, humming, expectant and mature people on this board, I am crawling out of my skin with frustration. Every day I beg God to be released from my current circumstances … this has gone on for several years. I fear I will die or stagnate-unto-death before He gets around to answering my prayers. 

I have learned the hard way, however, NOT to try to manipulate God into moving faster, or to take my life back into my own hands to make change happen . I have been told that sometimes God delays because other people aren't doing their part, that God sometimes has to work both ends of the rope. Of course, being God, He could change these people and my circumstances RIGHT NOW ... but He has chosen not to do this. The idea that God needs to wait for everything to arrange itself is laughable. He’s God. after all.

As many on this board noted, God has a bigger field of vision than we do.  But, because He is God, if He wanted to, He could arrange circumstances and people to make things happen RIGHT NOW. So, He has chosen to delay. He could have chosen differently. So, my suffering, as I wait for Him to answer my prayers, is His will.

Have I grown in Him as I waited? Sure. Still, I want this to end. I feel prepared, now, for whatever He wants me to do. I’m waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting for His assignment. And, believe it or not, I am slightly more patient,( though not much). Like Abraham, I'm eager to move forward even without knowing where I’m going.

I love the Abram story! He was given orders and those orders involved huge change and forward motion and a big, exciting life ... How good does it get? God didn't tell Abram to wait. He told him to GO!!!

It's often said that God gives three answers to prayer, “yes, no and wait,” but from a human perspective, “wait” and “no” are the same answer:  it a “no” until it’s a “yes."  

• 2 months later...

Yes I have been frustrated. Sometimes when we want something we want it right now. Some things we do get immediately and there are other things that takes a period of time. It may be a week, month, year or even longer. So we have to stand in faith that God will do what he said he will do no matter how long it's been taking. 

Sometimes delays happen because it is not time for something to happen. God has a certain date. Sometimes there are other things God might be trying to get a person to see. Sometimes he is trying to deal with a person's character and wanting that to change before he gives something in specific to them. Sometimes if there are other people involved in the promise he may be wanting them to change their character. Their character needs to get to a certain place to. 

When those changes finally happen then it will be time for the fulfillment of those promises.