JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Hagar's Pride, Sarah's Jealousy

Advanced Member

Group: Admin

Member No.: 2

Q1. (16:1-6) Why does Sarah take her anger out on Abraham? Why does she take her anger out on Hagar? Is she trying to get rid of Hagar or the baby? In what sense is Hagar's pride Abraham's fault? In what sense is Hagar's affliction Abraham's fault? What situation in your family does this reminds you of?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (16:1-6) Why does Sarah take her anger out on Abraham? Why does she take her anger out on Hagar? Is she trying to get rid of Hagar or the baby? In what sense is Hagar's pride Abraham's fault? In what sense is Hagar's affliction Abraham's fault? What situation in your family does this reminds you of?

I think Sarah takes her anger out on Abraham because he did not stand up for her and admonish Hagar for her attitude toward Sarah who was still, after all her mistress.

She takes her anger out on Hagar because of the way Hagar is treating her. She was willing to swallow her pride and have another woman bear Abraham a child. This was a great sacrifice for her and then the sacrifice is not acknowledged and there is not gratefulness shown. Instead she is treated disdainfully by Hagar.

Abraham "checked out". He did not discipline Hagar for her disrespect which allowed Hagar to think it was ok to continue this way and then he allowed Sarai to be cruel towards Hagar. By doing so he didn't seem to care much if he had a child by her or not. It makes me ask, if this child meant so little to him as to risk its very life and its presence is his life, why did he have sex with Hagar at all.

Trouble always comes in our families when we try to smooth things over and work them out in our own ways instead of waiting for God to direct us.

Lesson 5 Q 1

(a) Sarah takes her anger out on Abraham because she is human. Anytime something goes wrong in our lives the first thing we do is to take it out on the one that is closes to us. Sarah brought this situation upon herself, but turns to blame Abraham. Humanness!

(B) She takes her anger out on Hagar because Sarah is jealous that Hagar could conceive a child and a son with that, something she felt she could not do.

© I think Sarah is trying to get rid of the entire situaion. I guess like most of us, when we are in a bad situation, we just want it to all go away.

(d) Hagar's pride is Abraham's fault by Abraham do mot make a choice between the two women, he just tells Sarah to do what she thinks is best. He do not state his love for Sarah above Hagar.

(e) Hagar's affliction is Araham's fault by he do not take any responsibility for the situation. He washes his hands off the entire matter, instead of trying to make the situation better for all parties. He was the one that did what Sarah told him to do, therefore he is just as responsible.

• 7 months later...

She is angry to hid her ow guilt at giveing the maid to Abraham, she may not have doublted God's promise but she was self centered enough to want a child in the time she thought it should happen. She is angrey at Hagar because in Hagars pride she elevated herself above Sarai.

Abrahm should have taken the responsibility to let Hagar know she was the concubine that Sarai was the wife to avoid so much pride in Hagar. I'm sure Abrahm must have also had a problem with pride to know he was fathering a child but where pride is there is sure going to be a fall.

• 4 weeks later...

Sarah is the biblical character that I've always had trouble dealing with--here, in her mistreatment of Hagar, later when she lies to God about laughing, and still later when she runs Hagar and Ishmael away, we see the absolute worst side of human nature. Sarah is supposed to be "the weaker sex," especially in that society. She, like women before and after, found ways to compensate and manipulate. Sarah must have been a beautiful and seductive woman in her youth. I say that because of the part she played in hers and Abrahams moves to Egypt and Gerar. Abraham obviously had trouble denying Sarah anything she wanted. She wanted a child. She had become obsessed with that desire. She thought she wanted that at all costs. The Bible does not say if Hagar actually did hold Sarah in contempt. Sometimes, people get utterly miserable in their own life and, if they have a jealous nature, don't like to see the happiness of someone else. I've seen this in my life where one family member's marriage ended in divorce--another family member was happily married with children. The one who had the unhappy marriage seemed to go out of her way to victimize her in-law, making it difficult for the in-law to have good relationships with the extended family. I think Sarah is angry at Abraham and Hagar for the same reason. They both seem too happy for Sarah's liking. And she still has the same sense of failure she had experienced before. She has put herself in this position, but it is easier to take her unhappiness and spite out on someone else and to blame them. I think she is trying to get rid of both Hagar and the baby so she can start over from Square 1. I certainly don't think Abraham is blameless in all this. He obviously thinks this is God's way for him to have the offspring promised, but for a man just deemed righteous by God Himself, Abraham is not standing up to Sarah and doing what is morally right for the mother of his unborn child.

• 9 months later...

When in anger you aalways hur the person that is closest to you. So Abraham became the focus of her anger.

that she could not baare children at this time jealoust crept in.a Aabraham could have prayed if this what God wanted him to do. Saria is her own worst enemy.

• 3 months later...

The answer to all of the questions is pride which caused Sarah's humiliation, anger and retaliation. Abraham, by consenting to Sarah's whims fed the pride. He should have thought the situation out and dealt with it righteously, not by the laws of man.

There are always problems of pride, jealousy and resentment in my family, which is quite large. Since my family is the family of God I am comforted by the knowledge that as we grow in Him together pride will decrease, humilty will increase, and there will be less rivalry as the days go by.

• 3 months later...

Sarah does what many of us do and that is not to accept responsibility for our own actions but rather to blame other. She takes her anger out on Abraham because he fathered the baby Hager is carrying. Hagar is pregant by Sarah's husband and Hagar is accused to being prideful. She is trying to get rid of both Hagar and the baby. I don't believe Hagar's pride is Abraham's fault other than Abraham fathered the children (which was accepted in that period of history). Thankfully, I don't see much jealousy in my family.

• 3 weeks later...

When things don't go right, we often look for someone to blame. Sarah is doing just that. She's hurt and angry about something she can't change so it must be someone else's fault.

Feelings get hurt in these situations. I doubt people felt much differently then and it could be that maybe Abraham should have told Sarah no when she gave him her servant. Taking into account the different cultures of that time, he should have at least made sure that Hagar understood that Sarah's position with him did not change - instead he basically turned his back on the whole situation.

• 4 months later...

Q1. (16:1-6) Why does Sarah take her anger out on Abraham?

I believe that Sarah took her anger out on Abraham because she realized the error of her ways and now needed someone to share her guilt. Since Abraham shared the promise with her he was the logical person to share this moment with.

Why does she take her anger out on Hagar?

Sarah turned her anger on Hagar because Hagar was capable of bearing a child and she could not. This was an anger of jealousy.

Is she trying to get rid of Hagar or the baby?

Having realized that she was the child bearer for her master and that her mistress was unable to bear children, Hagar devloped a sense of pride. Sarah saw this pride rising and began to dispise Hagar. Thus she planned to get rid of Hagar.

In what sense is Hagar's pride Abraham's fault?

Hagar's pride is partly Abraham's fault because he did nothing to keep her submitted to her mistress, inspite of the fact that she was carring his child.

In what sense is Hagar's affliction Abraham's fault?

Abraham did nothing to alleviate the pressure from Hagar because he did not want to offend Sarah.

What situation in your family does this reminds you of?

When not confronting a situation head-on, you leave the door open for sin to step in.

Sarah took her anger out on Abraham because she was frustrated. With Hagar it was probably because of jealousy and resentment. This is what happens when we try to take things into our own hands. Hagar may have been flaunting the fact that what came so easy for her had been impossible for Sarah. Sarah probably just wanted her out of her sight and didn't really think about life or death. Abraham seemed to just be sitting by the side not doing anything to help the situation. That didn't help Sarah or Hagar. If something effects both husband and wife there has to be decisions made between the two of them. I believe it was in one of these bible studies that it talked about the man being the head of the house. Someone has to have the final say, but it must be discussed.

• 2 months later...

Sarah responded the same way all of us would respond in this situation . her pride was hurt since she could not conceive .

Therefore she took her anger on hagar , who ,in fact , was helping her to achive her objective :blink:

We see when we take our eyes off God , then there is confusion all over

Poor Abraham - he did not know what to do . Similar situation hs occured in my family in a diff way , whenever we gave chance to the Devil to take advantage :angry:

• 3 months later...

Sarah initially takes her anger out on Abraham because he is the one who impregnated Hagar and he is her husband. Abraham tells Sarah to handle it. So, Sarah directs her jealously, anger, and abuse toward Hager because she is acting with pride and showing little respect toward Sarah. Hagar is pregnant and Sarah is not -- a woman thing.

The problem with Hagar is really created by Abraham in acting outside God's leadership in going to bed with Hagar and not exercising leadership in handling Hagar's attitude himself.

I have five children - that should tell you my story in managing attitudes.

• 2 months later...

(1) She was in the wrong by giving Hagar to Abraham. She takes her anger out on Aabraham because she is despised and she is jealous. (2) She takes her anger out on Hagar because she kept throwing up to Sarah that she was barren, she insults Sarah, and she boast of the prospect she had of bringing an heir to Abraham. Hagar thinks she is better than Sarah because of the baby.(3) I don't think she is trying to get rid of either. She wanted Hagar to continue as her servant, but Hagar refused. (4) Hagar's pride was Abraham's fault because he did not pray and consult God before the marriage and the devil slipped into the situtation. (5) Hagar's affliction was Abraham's fault because he would not stand up for her or protect her in anything that was disrespectful to Sarah, to whom he still had the same affection for.

Because it is often easier to strike out in frustration and accuse someone else than to admit an error and ask for forgiveness.

How easy it is to excuse our sins by blaming someone else or circumstances.

It is human nature to hide our sins or overlook our mistakes. But it is hard to learn from mistake you don't acknowledge making. And good is a mistake if it doesn't teach something? To learn from an error you need to admit it, confess it, analyze it, and make adjustment so that it doesn't happen again.

Everybody makes mistake, but only fools repeat them.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (16:1-6) Why does Sarah take her anger out on Abraham?

Why does any woman take her anger out on her husband? Most often it's because she's upset not being able to conceive and feels like she is a failure, and has to vent her pain and frustrations out on someone.

As far as Hagar goes, she becomes jealous and enraged because her own maid servant immediately conceives, and begins to flaunt it. Her maids attitude is one of "better than thou", and she looks down on her mistress, causing a dagger to be cut into Sarai, feeling humiliated by her own servant.

Sarai just wanted to make Hagar leave so she doesn't have to contend with this servant. Even though it was at Sarai's instigation that Hagar be given to her husband, she can't deal with the consequences now. Looking at this woman who's pregnant with a baby, knowing that she herself can't conceive, rubs salt into the wound, and she acts irrationally.

After being in Canaan for 10 years, Hagar is given to Abraham as his wife. When she conceives, Abraham had to feel quite pleased with himself knowing that he was going to be a father. He had to make her at least feel important, as she was going to have his baby. Maybe her self-worth shot up a bit, causing her to become prideful.

Abraham didn't want to face the facts that he was as much responsible for this situation. Frankly it's a typical male thing...to avoid conflict, he just tries to ignore it, or get rid of whatever is causing the problem. He tells Sarai to do with Hagar as she saw fit. That was a cop out on his part. Due to his not acting like the head of the home, he lets Sarai do as she pleases, leaving Hagar to the mercy of whatever Sarai wanted to do to her.

Our daughter and her partner have caused our lives to completely be changed, in that we now have temporary custody of our grandchildren. To be honest, I would just like to shut the door to her, but yet have to deal with her many mood swings and attitudes, having been subject to it over the years. At times, I feel my husband doesn't want to face all the commotion and just tries to humor me, when it would be so good to have more support, as sometimes it gets quite lonely and so confining taking care of a 16 month and 7 yr old. My only hope in this situation is God, whom I am having to trust to guide and give me the needed strength and direction. :(

• 4 months later...

Q1. (16:1-6) Why does Sarah take her anger out on Abraham? I believe Sarah's anger and hurt was so great, that it was too difficult for her to admit it was her own impatiences that led to her maid servant's pregnancy, therefore lashing out at Abraham.

Why does she take her anger out on Hagar? I believe her anger toward Hagar developed from jealousy

Is she trying to get rid of Hagar or the baby? Mostly Hagar, due to her flaunting her pregnancy with prideful behavior

In what sense is Hagar's pride Abraham's fault? If Abraham was aware of her behavior, he should have called her on it and corrected her behavior at once

In what sense is Hagar's affliction Abraham's fault? Because Abraham choose to ignore what was transpiring between Sarah and Hagar

What situation in your family does this reminds you of? No particular situation comes to mind at this time

• 8 months later...

Why does Sarah take her anger out on Abraham? Why does she take her anger out on Hagar? She is jealous and her jealousy turns to anger. She vents that anger on the 2 who are nearest to the situation namely Abraham and Hagar

Is she trying to get rid of Hagar or the baby? I suspect that she is not thinking very clearly here, but it is the situation that she wants to get rid of rather than Hagar or the baby. Maybe though she has had second thoughts and is thinking that maybe she could conceive after all and therefore wants to get rid of Hagar and the baby.

In what sense is Hagar's pride Abraham's fault? Remember that Hagar's pride is simply seen through Sarah's eyes. It is Sarah who says to Abraham that Hagar despises her. I wonder therefore whether a lot of the pride is in Sarah's mind. In any event Abraham should have seen these problems coming and dealt with them. Most men though are not good at seeing and even less understanding conflicts between women and I don't think Abraham was the first and he certainly wasn't the last, to get caught up in a conflict between two women which he didn't see coming and didn't fully understand the implications of.

In what sense is Hagar's affliction Abraham's fault? See answer to previous question

What situation in your family does this reminds you of? Nothing in particular although again, as with other incidents in Abraham and Sarah's lives, it does show what a mess we can get into if we try to do things our own way rather than trusting in God. The great thing is though that, like Abraham and Sarah, whatever mess we make, God is always there when we turn back to Him. He is ever faithful to His promise and never lets us down.

Sarah probably feels she is worthless. She cannot conceive and produce a male child. She probably knows the fault lies with her and not Abraham. She feels betrayed as she has been promised a male child. This is what happenes when we get ahead of God's plan for us. His timing is perfect but Sarah couldn't wait so she took matters into her own hands.

Sarah is jealous of Hagar because of Hagar's prideful attitude. Hagar was probably letting Sarah think that she(Hagar) was the better of the two women for she was producing the offspring that Sarah was supposed to do.

I think she is trying to get rid of Hagar. The purpose of giving Hagar to Abraham was to produce an heir.

Probably Abraham was giving Hagar so much attention and it made Hagar too prideful and Sarah jealous.

I really can't think of any situation in my family although I'm sure if I thought long and hard enough I could think of something. I do know that this is a good lesson for us. Don't get ahead of God.

• 3 weeks later...

Sarah displays the anger and fystration that we all share when we have made a mistake, we try to place the blame on others and try to justify the enormity of our mistakes by anger and pointing our finger.

Sarah had to live with her mistake daily and view the product of her mistake Hagars son. Abrahams problem was that he wanted the problem to just even itself out

The Lord had shown us that it is better to confess our sins and seek forgivbess from not only the Lord but also from those we have sinned against.

May the Lord give us the grace to resist sin and all its ways.

Thank you Lord for saving me.

• 2 months later...

Sarah is looking to Abraham to put his house in order, to lead. She is angry that she is barren. She wants a surrogate child as well as unquestioned honor as Abraham's wife. Hagar's pride interferes with the latter. She takes her anger out on Hagar because Hagar escapes her control of the situation.

Abraham could have quieted both women by being firm with them as leader of the house. He could have reminded Hagar of her surrogate mother position, which, although an honor, does not give her right to be disrespectful to Sarah. He could have rebuked Sarah for mistreating Hagar, and arranged his house if necessary, so that such mistreatment did not happen.

We have had leadership issues in my family as well. We have solved these issues, more or less, by first talking them over, and then seeking wisdom from the Bible and from our pastor.

Partially because He did what she asked him to do, and the resulting pregnancy increased her anxiety about her place in the relationship. She resented Hagar because she easily did that which was so difficult for Sarah to accomplish. What I think really doesn't matter, maybe she just wanted to get rid of everything that reminded her of her failures. Abraham is the head of that family, and he did not keep his responsibility to keep and protect the proper relationships in the family, he did not seek guidance from the Lord before he gave in to Sarah and her whims . He also did not defend Hagar after he had taken her has his wife. In my own life maybe lack of protection and guidance from a parent who did not do these things because of fear of conflict with and abuser.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (16:1-6)

Why does Sarah take her anger out on Abraham?

When Hagar became pregnant and was flaunting her pregnancy, Sarah blames Abraham and becomes angry with him. She demands Abraham to do something

• 1 month later...

She feels angry that Hagar has become pregant so easily and wants to make this Abraham's fault.

She feels slighted and that she was not a wife in the real sense of the word by not being able to produce and heir. When Hagar takes pride in her state of pregnancy the tmeper of Sarah rages.

Perhaps her intent was to humilate Hagar into submission but I think her jealously took over, by ridding herslef of Hagar she also got rid of the baby. What hse thought she wanted turned out to be a mess for her.

Abraham turned all of this over to Sarah to handle, he slept with Hagar at his wifes request and she concevied but when this became problematic he was out. Perhaps a word form Abraham would have stopped the bad feelings but he chose to turn the other way.

He did not speak up even to Sarah and tell her to trust in God for His promises. So he just follwed into the bed of Hagar and made his lfe a turmoil in the process.

I have close family who are unbelievers and it is always so trempting to take things into ones own hand...but daily I have to remember that God is sovereign and in control of all of this.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (16:1-6)

Sarah takes her anger out on Abraham because Hagar became pregnant, and rather than face truth, until we reach a level of maturity in our walk with God, we tend to blame others for our mistakes.

I belive that Sarah is jealous of Hagar because she conceived without any trouble. Hagar was prideful about herpregnancy and began to despise Sarai.

I think that Sarah now wants Hagar out of her sight because she realizes that Hagar hates her.

I believe that this is Abraham's fault in that he did not try to correct Hagar.

Abraham took a passive attitude and did not try to stand up to Sarai.

I tried to fix many situations before I fully understood about trusting God. To say the least, they all flopped.