JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. The Angel Tells Hagar to Return

God wanted Hagar to reflect upon her actions...running away from obligation. She was with Abraham's seed but she ran away..it must be a huge leap coz being pregnant was her duty in the 1st place.

Also, He wants to teach her abt humility..submiting the Sarah...maybe so that she might teach Ishmael abt it one day.

I have indeed be like Hagar...running away from my walk with Him..i thank God that He does not abandon me and is patient..rebellious though am i

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I often wondered why would the Lord ask such questions when He already knows the answer. I believe it is to snap us out of our mentality to have us focus and rethink what we are about to do or what we have done. In doing so, we have a chance to repent and make things right. I sure hope that Sarai did not continue to treat Hagar bad. For she was told to return and to submit herself to her mistress which she did.

• 1 month later...

Lesson 5 Q 2:

(a) The angel ask Hagar something that the angel already knows because this is to make Hagar realize her quick decision to run away because of Sarah's mistreatment. It is to bring Hagar to her senses, letting her know this is not the right thing to do because it is a long way back to Egypt, being pregnant and also a different way of worshiping back there.

(B) The angel sends her back to Sarah because it is God's plan. Perhaps Abraham's faith in Yahweh needs a chance to rub off on Hagar and Ishmael for a while longer until they are finally sent away.

© I am just about sure I have reacted the same as Hagar, out of human response.

• 7 months later...

Q2. (16:7-9) Why does the angel ask Hagar something that the angel already knows? ("Where have you come from, and where are you going?") Why does she send her back to Sarah? Have you ever reacted and got yourself out of the place God wanted you?

The question brought Hagar out of her self pity mode and let her know she was not just a servant but a person that God knew personally and loved. God let her know he knew who she was, why she was there and that he would bless her and the child as he had promised Abram. He told Abram he would bless his seed and even though this was not the child of promise it was his seed.

Hagar learned more about true love, faith and being totally obedient to God.

God sent her back to teach her more about His kind of love, about living by faith, and serving those over you even in difficult times

• 5 weeks later...

My youngest son, in his mid-thirties, tells the rest of us that he once ran away from home when he was little. He didn't get very far, evidently--just next door to his grandfather's where I found him sitting down to milk and cookies. The point he tries to get across now is that the rest of us were unaware of his anger and so inattentive, we didn't even know he had run away--that "Mom found me down at Pa-Pa's just by accident, and I got in trouble for being there without permission!" He goes over that story with his siblings anytime they mention his position of relative luxury (baby in a large family). Actually, I knew that he had run away, but preferred not to let him know that. Hagar had to have been in a very emotional state. She had gone from being a favored concubine to being beaten by her jealous mistress. And Abraham had condoned it all. I'm sure she felt totally alone and totally unloved. The angel asks the question to give Hagar the understanding that God loved and cared for her, even though her life was going to rack and ruin all around her. She was sent back because that was God's will--rather than having her die alone in the desert which is probably what would have happened. We can't run away from our troubles--even if we think at the time that it's the easy way out. What we have to do is to face them. With God's love and help.

• 9 months later...

Q2. (16:7-9) Why does the angel ask Hagar something that the angel already knows? ("Where have you come from, and where are you going?") Why does she send her back to Sarah? Have you ever reacted and got yourself out of the place God wanted you?

Hagar was out of reality and needed to be brought to it at the moment.Sarah had to make the iniative to go back to Sarai with a humble spirit, but knowing that her son would be provided to her and also his future.

• 3 months later...

The Lord, through His angel, was giving Hagar a chance to review and meditate on her erroneous decision. All too often we make hasty decisions as a result of fleshly motivations that take us out of God's will. Thanks be to God that He is merciful and will lead us back if we listen to the promptings of His Holy Spirit. As in Hagar's case, Yahweh had a plan for her and Ishmael which required her to be in Abraham's household. She needed to go through the fire. I have had many instances where I ran from God's purpose for me. Fortutunately, the same God who was merciful toward Hagar is equally merciful toward me and brings me back, and walks with me through the fire as He did with Hagar and Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, and you too as well.

• 3 months later...

God uses various ways to lead us to reflect on the actions we are taking. Asking these questions to Hagar causes her to think closely about her actions.

Sending her back to Sarah gav Hage ar an opportunity to grow in faith and obedience through trials and hardship. So often in life, we grow the most when we undergo trials and difficulties in life.

Yes, there have been many times when I have tried to go the way of least hardship and as I reflect, I see that my choices were not the best according to God's will. God in his mercy forgives and my desire is to learn from these mistakes. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

To lead her into reflection of her actions. She sends her back because God has not finished with the situation/relationship. Every time I over-react I take myself away from the place God wants me - and I know it as I'm doing it. It's one of the clay parts of me that is being molded (and re-molded). We'll get it right eventually.

• 4 months later...

Q2. (16:7-9) Why does the angel ask Hagar something that the angel already knows? ("Where have you come from, and where are you going?")

Perhaps, the Angel of the Lord is asking Hagar the question to engender an atmosphere of trust and relaxation. In getting her to talk about her situation it gives her an opportunity to reharsh the events that took place and see the error of her disposition towards her mistress. God sometimes calls us to account in our wanderings from his perfect will and He does it gently.

Why does the Angel of the Lord send her back to Sarah?

In order for God's will to be successfully accomplished in a person's life they have to walk in obedience. Hagar is sent back to Sarah to complete God's purpose for her, at this point she is being asked to go back and submit to her mistress. God is a just God and does not condone disrespect in the order of authority. Even though God has a plan for Hagar and her offspring, God requires her to make things right with her mistress by submitting to her and if it means that she endures abuse, so be it; God will protect her.

Have you ever reacted and got yourself out of the place God wanted you?

I'm sure I have, as so many of us, but God is faithful and with the Holy Spirit to instruct us we can realign and get back to where God called us to be.

The angel asks these questions to remind her of what she had left behind and what the future facing her looked like. She should go back because she would be better off there. She would be able to worship God with Abraham and Sarah but not in Egypt. Yes I've been guilty of this. When the emotions get out of controll and we don't turn to God it's an accident waiting to happen.

• 2 months later...

The angel was telling Hagar that God has not forgotten her - even though Abraham and sarah disowned her, God did not - in fact the so called slave or female servant was actually called by her name by God

God sends back Hagar to sarah in order to teach her to be humble - since she became proud after she conceived - Gods gifts to us are for his glory - not for us to blow our trumpet about !!!!!

• 3 months later...

The angel is asking Hagar to account for herself. The angel tells her to go back and submit herself to Sarah her mistress. Yes I have reacted and took myself out of the place that God wanted me. It was due to spiritual immaturity.

• 2 months later...

(1) She tells the truth and a fair confession. (2) The angel sends her back because she is running from her duty and she was out of place. The angel sent her back with suitable and compassionate counsel. He is saying go home, humble yourself, beg pardon, and act better in the future, and she would be welcomed. Yes, I have reacted and got myself out of God's will all because I did not trust God completely and wait on Him.

The angel what to hear a confession from Hagar.

She was send back to her mistress because, you can not run away from a problem without solving it.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (16:7-9) Why does the angel ask Hagar something that the angel already knows? ("Where have you come from, and where are you going?")

I believe the angel asked Hagar these questions to make her acknowledge her plight. It was important to realize from where she came from, and what she might be facing going forward.

Why does she send her back to Sarah?

Maybe to make her realize that she can't just run away from difficult situations. Things may be quite difficult, but if God is with you, He can make even your enemies to be at peace with you. Things you think you can't do you can, with God's help. Having to go back would be a true act of humility, with her having to bite her tongue more than ever. Yet God had a purpose in this, and I have to believe it was to teach her more of Himself.

Oh yes. Due to wrong choices and decisions, I have lost out in so many things. Yet God in His divine mercy forgave me, and brought me back to a deeper walk in Him. Though some of the former things still bring pain, God is so merciful, and is teaching me daily that I must not look back anymore but keep my eyes focused on Him, and Him alone. He will meet my every need, and be my daily strength and companion.

• 4 months later...

Q2. (16:7-9) Why does the angel ask Hagar something that the angel already knows? ("Where have you come from, and where are you going?") Possibly to test her heart... making her accountable for a truthful response

Why does she send her back to Sarah? Hagar's decision to run was not part of God's plan, just an easy out for Hagar in a time of pain and anger.

Have you ever reacted and got yourself out of the place God wanted you? I'm sure I have due to my impulsive human reaction to unpleasant situations.

• 8 months later...

Why does the angel ask Hagar something that the angel already knows? ("Where have you come from, and where are you going?") He is calling Hagar to account. She has wandered from God's will for her. It is a bit like when a parent sees a child wandering off - the parent might say "Where do you think you are going? " before sweeping the child up and pointing him or her back in the right direction. I think that this is what God is doing to Hagar here.

Why does she send her back to Sarah? It is clearly God's will that Hagar, and Ishmael should be with Abraham and Sarah at this point. He therefore points Hagar back in the direction of Abraham and Sarah, and for good measure teaches Hagar a lesson on humility.

Have you ever reacted and got yourself out of the place God wanted you? All to frequently in my life I have been out of the place where God has wanted me. The time which I have spent outside of where God wanted me has always proved to be deeply unsatisfying and ultimately unfruitful. The great thing is though that when I turn back to God's way He is always there just where I left Him when I wandered off the path. Oh that I would never wander off the path again!!

I think He wants her to acknowledge where she is going and what actions that brought her to this point. We sometimes forget that our actions sometimes bring out the worst in us.

Maybe Hagar was sent back to Sarah to face the situation head on. She needed to humble herself. She wasn't treating Sarah very nice. We sometimes react to things in a hurtful wey when we are upset. She wanted to give Abraham his heir but she just got ahead of God. She was also taught a vauable lesson, that trusting in God is worht the wait.

Yes I have reacted too quickly and got myself out of step with God. It's sad when we can't wait on God, or trust Him enough to let Him take care of everything because He is always right. Never late or never early.

• 3 weeks later...

The angel askes Hagar the question so that she could look at where she was at that time and what she had left. We sometimes look at where we are in life and can be unhappy with our lot, maybe we expected more, Hagar maybe thought that by this time after bearing Abrahams son that she may have had more, more respect, better position within the group.

She was given the opportunity to search herself and the angel sent her back because she could not improve on what she already had.

Maybe we are looking for greater things in our life at this time and maybe we think that moving on will bring the answers we need, I have tried those things and the Lord open my eyes to the fact that what He had already provided was all I ever needed.

Thank you Lord for saving me.

• 2 months later...

God's angel asks Hagar who she is and where she is going to find out how accountable Hagar is. The angel sends Hagar back to Sarah so that Hagar can humble herself to God's will, and Sarah can as well.

I knew of a man who cheated on his wife and had children with his mistress, only to return to his wife several years later. He abandoned his children borne of his mistress, at his wife's request. I'm not sure how this story ties into that of Hagar's, but somehow it does.

I have reacted as Hagar did many times. I think our first impulse to avoid pain is to run for the hills, or for the desert and God's angel. I am learning to stay and wait on the Lord, because the Lord will bring me back to the place I was running from anyway.

Usually when God asks us a question He already knows the answer to it is for our benefit. To see if we will tell the truth about our situation. Hagar is sent back because the plan or purpose is not completed yet. She needs to submit to the authority over her. I am sure I have on many times, but thank God for his mercy and grace.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (16:7-9)

Why does the angel ask Hagar something that the angel already knows? ("Where have you come from, and where are you going?")

The angel knew from where Hagar had come and where was she going, but asked the question so that she would think again and consider what she had left behind and the dangers of the journey ahead. He told her to return and face Sarah, and submit to her. Most probably she was to curb her pride as well. She had to change her attitude and act as she should. Yes, sometimes because of our pride we react hastily and flee from our problems, thinking this will solve the situation. I have found that running away from my problems hardly ever solves them. It normally is better to return to the problem ,face up to it and ask God for help.

• 4 weeks later...

When I see the angel asking where she is going, I think the angel wants Hagar to reflect on her actions and the reasons behind them. It is God's plan for her to stay with Sarai so she is told to go back. I am sure I've reacted emotionally about situations, just like Hagar. God allowed me to wander through the desrt place so I could realize that it is only His plan for my life that will be fulfilling.

• 4 weeks later...

Why does the angel ask Hagar something that the angel already knows? ("Where have you come from, and where are you going?")

Perhaps it is the way of giving humanity to her plight, to ask of her as a person, as a woman, a mother-to-be. She has been seen only as an object and she is now spoken to as a person.

I think it is to give she and her baby time to grow, to come to the full term of her pregnancy. Sarai has asked Abram to sleep with Hagar, she conceived and now just to toss her aside seems not to be in the will of God. God has promised an heir but to throw away this baby because of jealousy does not seem a right foundation for the promise to Abram to begin.

Yes, and so many times it takes a long time to get back in the will of God after stepping out on my own accord.