JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. The Basis of Intercession

Abraham had confidence in God as judge of the earth and his righteous judgement toward all people. He knew the mind of God from the unconditional wald with him and he felt the had the freedom to be bold in talking to God. After all God had let him know ahead of time what was to happen and he knew being God that Abraham would intercede in prayer.

God send Jesus to pay a huge price that we man come boldly to the throne so yes he expects us to be bold, he wants us to learn to have the mind of Christ so we will know how to be bold through interceding.

Abraham's first thought and desire was to the saving of his own kin as Lot was living in Sodom and unless God heard his pleading he would perish with the town when judgment came.

We need to pray as Jesus himself would have prayed with our thoughts and desires to please him which would be anything that brings praise and glory for the kingdom of God.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By this time in Abraham's life, there was not a doubt in his mind about his God. He had learned to trust God completely. He knew God to be just. In a teacher-student relationship, this was Abraham's midterm test--we know what his final was to be. The reader of 18:17 can actually hear God's thoughts: "Shall I hide from Abraham what I am about to do?". He answered His own question in v. 19. It was time to take off the training wheels. I think God was especially pleased with Abraham because Abraham was not thinking of himself, but of others. Is this the first example in the Bible of intercessory prayer? I can't think of a prior instance. :unsure: God expects us to speak up boldly. After all, we have been charged with living righteously and justly just like Abraham. God loves us as a parent and wants only good things for us, but most of all, I think, He wants to see us loving and caring for one another. We please God most with our prayers, I think, when He sees our honesty and genuine feelings. We will never be on an equal footing with God, so we can't try to boss Him around. But I think He likes for us to call things to His attention. In that way, He can record our spiritual growth, just like He did Abraham's.

• 1 year later...

To be a righteous person, a just person, is to be a friend of God and as such a qualified person is treated by Yahweh as one would treat someone to whom they are close. We were created for this purpose, to walk in the garden in the cool of the day, enjoying a refreshing conversation with our Maker. Through His blood sacrifice He has cleansed us and by the Holy Spirit we enjoy that same friendship with Adonai today. And yes, intercessory prayer is a blessing to El Shaddai, as we demonstrate our love one for another in this manner and He is love. Abraham illustrates this, as did Moses, Hezekiah and the others.

• 3 months later...

Q4. On what ground does Abraham so boldly address God? Do you think God desires us to do the same? Why or why not? Why do you think Abraham's intercession pleased God? What will it take for us to please him in our prayers?[/size]

:huh:

I think God had set Abraham up for this very act of intercession by revealing to Abraham his intentions. Abraham was under no illusions. He knew how bad Sodom really was (13:13). He knew how truly wicked the city and its leaders were, evidenced by the way he had refused to accept anything from the king of Sodom (14:21-24). He knew that when the Lord observed the sins of the city, he would destroy it. And therefore Abraham felt an obligation to protect his own family from that destruction.

I believe God will be pleased if we come to him in prayer lifting up truly what is in our hearts and wanting to glorfiy God in all we do.

Q4. On what ground does Abraham so boldly address God? Do you think God desires us to do the same? Why or why not? Why do you think Abraham's intercession pleased God? What will it take for us to please him in our prayers?[/size]

:huh:

I think God had set Abraham up for this very act of intercession by revealing to Abraham his intentions. Abraham was under no illusions. He knew how bad Sodom really was (13:13). He knew how truly wicked the city and its leaders were, evidenced by the way he had refused to accept anything from the king of Sodom (14:21-24). He knew that when the Lord observed the sins of the city, he would destroy it. And therefore Abraham felt an obligation to protect his own family from that destruction.

I believe God will be pleased if we come to him in prayer lifting up truly what is in our hearts and wanting to glorfiy God in all we do.

• 4 months later...

Q4. On what ground does Abraham so boldly address God?

Abraham was bold in addressing God on behalf of his nephew bcause he knew that God was just.

Do you think God desires us to do the same? Why or why not?

Yes, it is God's desire for us to approach Him as a just God, who can be trusted to do whats right. God wants us to come to Him in every circumstances.

Why do you think Abraham's intercession pleased God?

Abraham's intercession pleased God, firstly because Abraham showed that he knew the character of God. Secondly, Abraham approached God boldly and with persistence and thirdly, because his prayer was a plea for others.

What will it take for us to please him in our prayers?

When we approach him with trust, sincerity, persistency and boldness.

• 3 weeks later...

Abraham does this as an act of intercession for Lot and his family.

Yes, God wants us to pray for others, not to give up but pray in faith believing it is as we ask.

It pleases God when we are concerned for the lost and for the needs of others.

We are not to only pray for ourselves but for those for don't know the Lord. God doesn't want anyone to perish but to repent.

• 5 months later...

Q4. On what ground does Abraham so boldly address God? Do you think God desires us to do the same? Why or why not? Why do you think Abraham's intercession pleased God? What will it take for us to please him in our prayers?

Abraham bases his intercession on behalf of Sodom on God's own justice and righteousness. I believe that God desires us to do the same thing. Why -- because God wants people that have the same passion, care, concern, understanding of Him, and a relationship with Him that Abraham had. Genuine prayer equals understanding God.

I think Abraham's intercession pleased God because it reflected love and concern for others and an in-depth understanding of Him. The principles remain the same for us today.

• 3 months later...
Q4. On what ground does Abraham so boldly address God? Do you think God desires us to do the same? Why or why not? Why do you think Abraham's intercession pleased God? What will it take for us to please him in our prayers?

Because Abraham knew that God was a just and true God. Yes, God expects us to come boldly before His throne. He wants us to intercede for people and He can teach us by getting us to come boldy before Him praying and asking on behalf of others. Abraham's intercession pleased God because he did not give up on the behalf of the people he was praying for. To please God in our prayers, we have to be fervent in our prayers, make our request made known before the Lord, and pray the prayer of intercession and mainly believing that God is going to do what He said He will do.

He knew God was full of mercy and compassion , and He judges fairly.

Abraham was a man who walked in God's way, and he obeyed whatever God called him to do, he did without any question.

If we walk in God's way, we can be bold in asking Him, He can never be annoyed with us if He knows we humbles in His feet.

• 2 months later...

Abraham came boldly before the Lord on behalf of his family members. He wasn't afraid to seek deliverance on their behalf, and believed that God was a just God.

The Bible tells us "the effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much"...that tells me that God does desire that we intercede for our loved ones, as well as others. When we seek God on someone's behalf, we often are moved by a compassion that will touch God as no other. We are made after God's image, and His love for us knows no bounds. When we place ourselves in another's place, we pray more earnestly.

• 11 months later...

On what ground does Abraham so boldly address God? Abraham states the reason why he is addressing God in this way in verse 25 where he says "Far be it from you to do such a thing, to slay the righteous with the wicked, so the righteous fare as the wicked! Far be it from you! Shall not the judge of all the earth do what is just?" This is indeed a very bold way to address the supreme God, the creator of everything, but I think that it shows the nature of Abraham's relationship with God by this time. I don't think that the same relationship seems to exist in Chapter 12 when God first told Abraham to go to the land which God would show him or in Chapter 13 when God shows him the land which will be his and tells him to walk the length and breadth of the land. In fact, it is not until Chapter 15 that we see Abraham entering into any kind of dialogue with God. Up until then, God speaks to him and Abraham obeys. In chapter 15, we see Abraham first entering into a discussion with God, which I see as evidence of Abraham's increasing faith and deepening relationship with God. This develops further over the next few chapters so that in Chapter 17 we find Abraham falling on his face and laughing at God's suggestion that Abraham and Sarah are to have a son and then in Chapter 18 we get this discussion over the fate of the people of Sodom. This I think shows how close Abraham's relationship with God had become over the years of these chapters and God is clearly very pleased with this relationship as can be seen from what happens to Abraham and how God deals with him.

Do you think God desires us to do the same? Yes, but at all times, we should remember who it is we are talking to. This is the almighty creator of everything and so, although He wants us to have a close relationship with Him, like Abraham's, and to talk openly with Him, in addressing God, we are addressing our creator and must treat Him with the respect and majesty which that deserves. Look at the way in which Abraham deals with the three men at the beginning of Chapter 18, which gives some idea of the kind of reverence which we should display in our relationship with God.

Why or why not? God loves us and cares for us and He wants to have a close relationship with us, like He had with Abraham.

Why do you think Abraham's intercession pleased God? It must have pleased God because God responds to the intercession. I think that the reason it pleased God was that it showed Abraham's absolute faith, trust and confidence in God.

What will it take for us to please him in our prayers? I think that we need to be bold and confident in our relationship with and prayers to God, but at the same time reverent, as Abraham was. We also need to have faith, and I think that means absolute 100% faith, that God will answer our prayers. Finally, I think that we need to be sure that as well as asking in our prayers, we also give thanks and praise to God for the things He is doing and has done

• 2 weeks later...

Abrahan knows that God is a righteous God and He will do what is right. He said, " Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?" Abraham went boldly before the LORD and spoke.

I believe He desires us to do the same. He is our Father and even though He knows what we are going to ask He still wants us to come before Him and ask.

Abraham pleased God because of his boldness and honesty . He was talking to his Father in a straightforward way not in a disrespectful way but honestly. God wants us confide in Him with our deepest feelings.

I think to please Him in our prayers would be as Abraham did, to come boldly before Him and pour out our hearts to Him.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a new confidence with our God, throught faith in His Son Jesus we can call Him Abba Father, Oh! what boldness, Oh! what closeness, we who where afar off, strangers and haters of God, have been brought into the family by the blood of Jesus.

Does it not just make you feel good, does it not make you feel so warm and secure.

Abraham he had this closeness with God, this gracious assurance that it is going to be well.

We can as believers stand on Holy ground thanks to the love of God that works in us. I find it so amazing that thou my God should die for me.

When I walk through the doors I sensed His presence

And I knew this was a place where love abounds

For this is a temple the God we love abides here

Oh we are standing in His presence on holy ground

We are standing on holy ground

For I know that there are angels all around

Let us praise Jesus now

For we are standing in Hos presence on holy ground

In His presence I know there is joy beyond all measure

And at His feet sweet peace of mind can still be found

For when we have a need He is still the answer

Reach out and claim it for we are standing on holy ground

We are standing on holy ground

For I know that there are angels all around

Let us praise Jesus now

For we are standing in His presence on holy ground

Let us praise Jesus now

For we are standing in hHis presence on holy ground

• 2 months later...

Because Abraham knows God's Character, also he was concerned for the safety of Lot and his family. He knew that God desires truth and justice from him so how could God act any differently. Yes God wants us to come boldly into his presents and make are request known. to stand on His word and proclaim it, maybe even to remind Him of what it says, to depend and rely on His promises. God is pleased when we come to Him as our Father, when we trust and believe wholly in Him. The Bible takes about those who indure till the end.

• 1 month later...

Q4.

On what ground does Abraham so boldly address God?

Do you think God desires us to do the same?

Why or why not?

Abraham wanted to save his nephew Lot who was in Sodom. Yes, I think God desires that we be bold and persistent in our prayers. We are to mirror God

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that God wants to train us to pray for others. It is spoken that we should pray for those that hurt and spitefully use us. It is told that the prayers of a righteous man avails much. There is also a passage that is paraphrased that prayer covers a multitude of sin. It is a task that God has trusted with us for His name's sake. When we seek to pray in accordance to the spirit, we are given His heart and can pray for those that our own flesh could not.

• 1 month later...

On what ground does Abraham so boldly address God?

I think Abraham approaced God as he did because he knew the character of God was one of fairness and of a righteous nature. He went with boldness because he had faith.

Do you think God desires us to do the same? Why or why not?

Yes, I think that the heart of God wants us to come with our wishes and to show that wehave a heart for others. We need to keep in mind how we pray and intercede for others.

I think God was using this as a lesson to see that Abraham indeed had a heart for the right things and would be a good leader of God's choice.

I think we have to stay in His will, pray constantly, not fake or haughty prayers, but form the deepest part of our being. He wants to know that we are becoming more like Him......

• 1 month later...

Q4. On what ground does Abraham so boldly address God?

He boldly addresses God this way because he has a relationship with God and because of His belief in God.Afterall Abraham is God's friend.

Do you think God desires us to do the same?

Yes, because God likes us interceding for our sisters and brothers in Christ and God likes Abraham's persistance.

To be bold and persistance and to ask for those things that are in His will. We will find His will in His Word.

• 5 months later...

I believe Abraham boldly addressed God because of his relationship to Him. What made him to go to God in intercession was to rescue his nephew and family once again.

God desires us to do the same - to come boldly but only as we are in right relationship to Him.

I believe Abraham's intercession pleased God because God will do nothing except by the prayers of his saints. God wanted the righteous delivered from the city and Abraham's request delighted God because He wanted to do that anyway. When we pray according to God's will He hears us. Although God did not spare the city, He did deliver the righteous.

For us to please God we need to know the will of God and pray accordingly. In this example God was going to destroy Sodom because of its immorality. He left Abraham know His will so Abraham could intercede for those righteous in the city. As a result Lot and his daughters were saved. Would they have been saved if Abraham did not intercede? We will never know for sure but one thing we do know - Abraham interceded for the righteous and they were saved.

• 3 months later...

Q4. On what ground does Abraham so boldly address God? ON the ground of God

• 2 months later...

Abraham boldly addresses God to please consider refraining from destroying Sodom if He can find at least ten righteous individuals.

I believe that God expects us to have some degree of confidence...NOT ARROGANCE...when we come to Him in prayer.

I believe that God was pleased by Abraham's' compassion and his desire to save Sodom if at least ten-righteous individuals can be found.

Humility, faith, love, compassion, perseverance.

• 7 months later...

4a)Abraham has a covenant agreement with God,&he has seen God's power, enabling 318 men to defeat army of Kedorlaomer,rescuing Lot & stolen posessions,& seen God provide for his needs, protect Sarah &himself when taken captive by Egyptians etc.His has faith in a just God, trusts in him and this encourages him,to speak out in boldness to plead for 10 righteous people that would prevent God from destroying Sodom.

B)God desires us to pray for the needs of others,we can influence God by being bold, confident before God,using Jesus character and the Word as basis for prayer, and be persistent in prayer until need is resolved.

c)God wants us to speak boldly of our faith,&in protection of those vulnerable & oppressed. He wants us to not do anything that would become an obstacle for others in receiving Jesus for themselves.i.e. portraying wrong message about Jesus, putting others down rather than showing others the love of Jesus by our words/actions.

D)Being bold in asking God requests, be caring,fair, humble,&just in dealings with others, thinking how Jesus would think & allowing this to form our actions/ prayers for them &be persistant in this.

• 9 months later...

Q4. On what ground does Abraham so boldly address God? Do you think God desires us to do the same? Why or why not? Why do you think Abraham's intercession pleased God?

Jesus told us to love all and put ourselves last as a servant to be first in heaven. Well from my way of reacting badly to 'difficult people' I know that I'm not a candidate for being a saint. Still, as a work in progress, I am evolving and praying more than ever before.

This lesson is an excellent model of how to help others rather than just thinking about ourselves and survival in the fallen world. Praying for others that need help is certainly not self-centered or selfish; how deeply do we need to care about them? There are so many people who are comfortable in their lives and won't let God in for a minute. I met one 2 days ago who was cleaning my teeth; these people are all over the place. But who is the one the most sick? Unless we have compassion for all God's children, are we not indeed sick also? So YES, clearly God desires that we do intercession prayer regularly, every day, several times a day

As we draw closer to being like Jesus, our father in heaven will be pleased. In patience and in prayer, He will give us work to do for His Kingdom. We just need to ask for more work.

We need to boldly declare the victory in His name and to make this an ingrained habit of leanign on our Savior to show us what to do and when to do it.

• 3 months later...