JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Homosexuality

Q1. (19:4-11) How can Christians keep balance on the issue of homosexuality in our day?

Christians have no need to 'balance' the homosexual issue..our blatant response is a loud and resounding NO.

it really possible to be loving and compassionate toward practicing homosexuals at the same time as you condemn the sin?

Of course, just as Jesus was towards the woman accused of adultery.

Should the church be silent about homosexuality? If not, what should we be saying? Where should we be saying it?

NO!!it need to state its position clearly that the Word of God opposes this practice totally and we should be saying it whenever the issue demands of it, without fear or favour.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (19:4-11) How can Christians keep balance on the issue of homosexuality in our day? Is it really possible to be loving and compassionate toward practicing homosexuals at the same time as you condemn the sin? Should the church be silent about homosexuality? If not, what should we be saying? Where should we be saying it? (Be gentle and loving as you discuss this subject -- please!)

This subject is particularily an issue in my life at this time. A little over a year ago myself, our priest and several others of us left our denomination and little parish over this very issue. Accepting homosexuality. We were accused of being unloving and homophobic. Nothing we could say we convice our accsuers that the real issue was obedience to God and not homosexuality. We repeatedly stated the sin of homosexuality acted upon was the same as the sin of adultery or any other sin taught against in the scripture. At the same time a young man whom I had known since babyhood and cared for very deeply was dying from a disease acquired by his homosexual life style. I love this yound man and had much compassion for him. His death broke my heart but there is still a rift between his mother and I because she cannot understand that while I love him I did not love or accept his life style. We cannot afford to be silent but we must also not scream hatred and condemnation. We need to continue to insist the issue is obedience not orientation.

Lesson 8 Q1

(a) Christians can keep balance on the issue of homosexuality by loving and being compassionate toward the person and hating the sin.

(B) Is it really possible to be loving and compassionate toward practicing homosexuals at the same time as you condemn the sin?

Yes. "For we have all sinned and come short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23). It is possible because we who have accepted Jesus, have been forgiven, therefore it is no different for the homosexual. Sin is sin, whether is is hoosexuality, prostitution, adultery, etc. We can all be forgiven and our lives transformed. Amen!

© No, the church should not be silent about homosexuality. The church should not be silent about any sin. All Scripture should be preached.

(d) If not, what should we be saying?

The church should preach the whole Gospel. Get the message out that homosexuality is sin, but there is forgiveness as with any sin. The church should be a haven of forgiveness and healing for repentant homosexuals without compromising its stance against homosexual behavior. I am a memer of a chruch who in June, 2003 commends government on same-sex civil marriages. I am having a struggle with this. It is one thing to welcome them to our church (which we should do) but it is another thing to marry them. My church is encouraging homosexuals to stay in their sin and forget Biblical teachings. I understand one of your students comments (Kelly Walrath, posted Nov. 8/04). "My heart goes out to those who have felt that they could not come into a church because the righteous Christians say they have to clean up their act before they should set foot in the door. How can they be expected to learn the Gospel if we don't allow them to come to church just as they are, if we don't show the love of Christ without judgment?" I agree, but I feel marrying them is against God's Word. Amen!

(e) We should be saying it with the life we live. In church, home , work, school, etc. Condemn the pratice, not the people. We should not fear, ridicule or hate those people but Love them, that they may see the Love of Jesus through us. Let our Light shine...Jesus Christ! We were once sinners, saved by Grace, homosexuals can be the same. Tell them our story of sin (whatever it was) and how we were transformed.

• 7 months later...

(19:4-11) How can Christians keep balance on the issue of homosexuality in our day? Is it really possible to be loving and compassionate toward practicing homosexuals at the same time as you condemn the sin? Should the church be silent about homosexuality? If not, what should we be saying? Where should we be saying it?

If we avoid being judgemental and remember all sin including ours is hated by God while he still loves us. It is not about what we personally think but about what God says. Tell people only what God's Word has to say and let him judge.

The church should not be quite but neither should it go on a bandwagon and make it a issue about other sins all sin is as filthy rags before God.

Most people living in sin know they are sinning they don't need us to tell them that they need to know our Lord and his love and power to deliver all from the bondage of sin and this is what we should be saying and saying it everywhere.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a close family member who is an alcoholic. He is an alcoholic even though he has been sober for two years now. He was clean for two previous years when he "fell off the wagon." He must battle his disease at all times. He has found that he does not have the strength to battle it alone...that he must have God's help. Doctors say that alcoholism is a disease. Would that excuse this dear man from any wrongdoing if he were to get falling-down drunk? I am a diabetic. I must control my sugar intake. This, too, is hard. I am fighting a disease. I must have God's help. Most of us do have physical battles to face of one sort or another. Doctors now say that homosexuals were "born that way." Just because they were born that way does not mean they have God's blessing to act on their tendencies--any more than an alcolholic has or any more than a diabetic has. God's Word makes it clear what He thinks about homosexuality. In our particular church, we have an ongoing debate about homosexual clergy. To me, to condone a homosexual minister would be the same as condoning a heterosexual minister committing adultery. I do not think I could accept a situation like that, and probably that would be the only way that I could ever think of leaving my church. As Dr. Wilson said, we are of an age in our society where the push is on to accept homosexuality. I have had people to argue the point WWJD? First of all, they say that Jesus did not mention homosexuality. Therefore, He must have condoned it. Then, they say that Jesus accepted all people and tell me the story of Him eating with the sinners. People who use this argument fail to tell "the rest of the story": Jesus' reply. Sure He ate with the sinners--but in the capacity of The Great Physician--to heal them. When we accept Jesus, we repent of our sins. That means that we do not willfully continue our lives as before, doing what we know to be wrong. The story of the distruction of Sodom does depress me. We, as Christians, must continue to lead lives where our light can shine and quit yielding to the pressure of a permissive and perverse society. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Every day a Christian is faced with a wide varity of sins. Just follow the news. Homosexuality is a sin, but is it the worse sin a Christian will encounter in a days time? I do not thank so myself. Homosexuality is one of the many things that I must face on a daily bases. How do I handle it? I ask myself what would Jesus do. Jesus was able to show compasion to a wide varity of sinful persons. Why should I not show simular compasion?

The Church should be the outspoken critic of homosexual practices; however, It must be careful. I see too many people willing to give up church powers to the secular realm. This is dangerous. The Church is the backbone of morality. If we allow the state to dictate morality then the Church will not be able to stand on its own, and the state will become the Church.

LOVE THE PERSON HATE THE SIN!

Mike

• 1 year later...

All sin is judged alike and while some sin may be more abhorrent than others, it is sin just the same. The point one should consider is that homosexuality is fornication, just as is sex between unmarried heterosexuals, which is a starting point in witnessing to gay people. Then one would address confusion, which God is not the author of. While the bible doesn't state who is, there are three areas to address; the world, the flesh and the devil. That comes from prayer and inner healing. All of this of course begins with the individual and that persons willingness to turn from homosexuality. That starts with abstinence. Good and faithful preaching is the catalyst.

I believe that Sodom's great sin was that hedonism had become their god. What about the world today?

• 3 months later...

How can Christians keep balance on the issue of homosexuality in our day? Is it really possible to be loving and compassionate toward practicing homosexuals at the same time as you condemn the sin? Should the church be silent about homosexuality? If not, what should we be saying? Where should we be saying it? (Be gentle and loving as you discuss this subject -- please!)

[/color][/size][/font]

This truly is a sensitive issue. We need to love every sinner just as Jesus loves us even though we are sinners. That does not mean we accept sin as being OK. We should treat this sin just as we would any other sin. Love the sinner but as we develop friendships help others know thru God's Word that practicing any sexual activity outside of marriage is sin. It may be true that one is born with this tendency just as one as born with a tendency to be self-centered. Each of us needs to ask God to help us develop the strength to stand against Satan. The church needs to speak out against homosexuality just as it speaks out against any other sin.

How can Christians keep balance on the issue of homosexuality in our day? Is it really possible to be loving and compassionate toward practicing homosexuals at the same time as you condemn the sin? Should the church be silent about homosexuality? If not, what should we be saying? Where should we be saying it? (Be gentle and loving as you discuss this subject -- please!)

[/color][/font]

This truly is a sensitive issue. We need to love every sinner just as Jesus loves us even though we are sinners. That does not mean we accept sin as being OK. We should treat this sin just as we would any other sin. Love the sinner but as we develop friendships help others know thru God's Word that practicing any sexual activity outside of marriage is sin. It may be true that one is born with this tendency just as one as born with a tendency to be self-centered. Each of us needs to ask God to help us develop the strength to stand against Satan. The church needs to speak out against homosexuality just as it speaks out against any other sin.

[/color][/font]

• 3 weeks later...

It is possible to be loving and compassionate toward practicing homosexuals and condemn the sin at the same time - it's just hard to do. We must treat this sin as any sin, rejecting the sin and not the person.

The church should speak up against homosexuality in the same manner it speaks up against any other sin. (and if it's not speaking up against other sins, shame on the church)

• 3 months later...

Q1. (19:4-11) How can Christians keep balance on the issue of homosexuality in our day?

Homosexuality is a sin and Christians should always remember that we are to love the sinner but hate the sin.

Is it really possible to be loving and compassionate toward practicing homosexuals at the same time as you condemn the sin?

Yes, it is possibile to be loving and compassionate toward practicing homosexuals at the same time as you condemn the sin. You cannot expect to be a witness of Jesus Christ without demonstrating true Christian love. It is demonstrated love that will open the door to present Christ to them. Once they have accepted Christ as Savior and Lord then it is the work of the Holy Spirit to teach the Homosexual how to apply the Word to live a righteous life.

Should the church be silent about homosexuality? If not, what should we be saying? Where should we be saying it?

The church should not be silient about homosexuality. The church is called to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ and to teach the truths of th Bible. We are to preach the unadulterated Word of God, meaning that we do not compromise, but we preach against all sin. Wherever there's a platform open and available to us, the full Word should be spoken.

• 3 weeks later...

As Christians, if we are looking for something to condemn, homosexuality is right up there with the rest of the sins. God came into my heart while I was still sick in my particular brand of sin. I didn't cleanse myself, God cleansed me. Those that are in this bondage, when they reach the bottom God will be there waiting for them.

I think that, as with any other sinner, I must be kind and compassionate as a Christian should. But also, Psalms 1:1 says, "Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers." To me that means I shouldn't have a close personal relationship with anyone who lives in this manner.

It's the duty of the men and women in the pulpit to preach the word of God. It would be a sin if they didn't. So no, the church shouldn't be silent about the subject. The bible says that homosexuality is a sin and it should be preached from the pulpit.

• 2 months later...
Q1. (19:4-11) How can Christians keep balance on the issue of homosexuality in our day? Is it really possible to be loving and compassionate toward practicing homosexuals at the same time as you condemn the sin? Should the church be silent about homosexuality? If not, what should we be saying? Where should we be saying it? (Be gentle and loving as you discuss this subject -- please!)

On this sensitive issue, i fell that the church cannot be silent or compromise on homosexuality . We cannot have a middle path .

• 3 months later...

Love the sinner hate the sin. Loving and ministering to homosexuals is no different, in my mind, than loving and ministering to any other sinner. We have sinned and come short of the glory of God. In addition to pastoring a church I am also a jail minister and minister to men who have committed murder (one even murdered his mother), deal drugs, child molesters, etc. Are homosexuals worse sinners than these men, no. Again, all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. As Christians, we must present the Gospel and minister to all men and women regardless of their sin. Remember, Jesus went to the cross for all humanity. There is no asterisk beside John 3:16 listing the behavior or sin or people that John 3:16 didn't include. Love your neighbor as yourself.

The church should not be silent about homosexuality. You treat it like other sin -- open and honest.

• 3 months later...

I don't think there is a balance to be kept. Homosexuality is a sin. We, as Christians have to call it for what it is. It is wrong. Yes, we can be loving and caring towards those who are living in this sin. If we have God's love in us, it will shine through. No, the church should not be silent. We should be reaching out to those sinners and telling them of God's love and try to get them to see the bondage the devil has them in. I think we can say it where ever it needs to be said. We can do it in a kind and gentle way, the Lord's way, because He will lead our footsteps and give us the words to say at the time they need to be said. Let the homosexual know they are loved reguardless of their lifestyle and let them know they can be delivered.

• 3 weeks later...

As Christians we should not compromise on sin,

The Bible is very clear on the issue of homosexuals, we are to love the people but hate sin,

We are to tell these people that God Loves them, and they should leave their sinful life.

• 1 year later...

I don't think that there can be any doubt from reading the Bible that homosexuality, whether in our day, or in any other day, is a sin. In Leviticus it is categorized alongside adultery, incest and the like, but however it is categorized, and however you look at it, I cannot see how you can come to the conclusion that it is anything other than a sin. Now all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, but God sent His son Jesus to die on the cross to take away our sins and all who truly repent of their sins will be forgiven. This applies to any sin be it homosexuality, adultery, theft, taking the name of God in vain etc etc etc. They are all the same, they are sins, and those who commit sins for which they do not truly repent cannot inherit the Kingdom of God. So on one side of the balance, that is the bottom line, a practicing homosexual is sinning by committing that act and the Church should never shy away from making it absolutely clear that this is the case.

Jesus though came into the World to save sinners in Mark 2, 17 He says "I have come to call not the righteous, but sinners". With this in mind, and if we are to follow the command to love our neighbor as ourselves, then as Christians, we are bound to tell homosexuals that by committing this act they are sinning. If we side step the issue, then we are failing them and effectively abandoning them to the fate that awaits all sinners. In that case we would be like the Priest or the Levite passing by on the other side of the road rather than going to the help of the man who had been robbed in the parable of the Good Samaritan. Obviously, we need to do this in a loving and compassionate way, but we should not compromise. The fact is that if this person carries on in the way they are going, they will be lost (just like I would have been lost if I had carried on in the way I was going).

So what does all of this mean from a practical point of view? From a personal point of view, a homosexual, like everyone else, is my neighbour, who I am commanded to love as myself. In my view, that means treating him like any other sinner. That doesn't mean that I run after them shouting sinner, but on the other hand, at the right time and in the right situation, I should be clear that they are sinning by doing this thing, in just the same way as I was sinning and still sin. I was and am capable of being forgiven if I truly repent and so are they. It is a simple as that. From the point of view of the Church, quite clearly it follows from all of this that the Church should not remain silent on this issue, but should make the position clear, as it does with all other sins. I do not recall any suggestion from any part of the Church that maybe adultery or incest isn't a sin. This is no different and I really cannot see how in the face of all of the evidence throughout the Bible, any part of the Church can take a different view.

One side issue on which I would appreciate the thoughts of anyone who can reply to this. It seems to me that all of this applies only to male homosexuals. I could find nothing in the Bible which specifically makes homosexual relationships between women a sin. Have I missed something here, or is it correct that a female homosexual relationship is not a sin?

Keeping balance, I don't know. I do know I wouldn't be cruel if talking to a homosexual. They are loved by God as much as anyone is. He loves the sinner, but hates the sin. I certainly couldn't agree with them that being a homosexual is ok with God. The Bible does not mix words when it comes to this discusting act. They are being sucked in by satan, believing his lies that it is their right to do as they please. I certainly don't think they should flaunt their lifestyle as they do. I have never seen a gay parade, but I've been told that they are X rated, which should be an abomination to everyone.

It probably is possible to be loving and compassionate toward them while comdemning such sinful acts. Probably just as possible for the homosexual to be compassionate toward straight people. They are very good at making fun of and comdemning too, which does not make it right .

No I don't think the church should be quiet. If preachers are afraid to speak out about all sin, they shouldn't be behind the pulpit. After all they are called to proclaim the Word boldly. After all God's views on this sin(and all sin)are quite clear.

One place we shouldn't be condoning homosexual behavior is in the schools, they are calling it an alternative life style. No, it is a sinful life style that leads to death.

• 2 weeks later...

Having read the reply from magnus I agree with him totally, homosexuality is a sin like all sins, I have worked with people who have committed murder and within prision they have repented and asked our Savior for forgivness. Unlike homesexuals, they do not continue, they leave the sin behind.

Why should the continuance of such a sin be tolerated, how can main stream churches permit active homosexuals to minister Gods word of truth.

As we walk in our Lord Jesus we leave the old amn and the habits behind us, we dont continue the practice of sin.

I am not shocked that the society we live in today has changed laws and teachings to give a normal glace to homosexuality. Sin no matter the glace or the spin is sin, homosexuality is a sin, we have a duty to preach the gospel in all its truth and stand firm for the truth, love the sinner and hate the sin, I feel strong about this because this sin is being sold to us a normal, a self pity sin, but is gross and it should not be shown as normal in any shape or form.

• 2 months later...

Love the lost, and hate the sin. Yes it is possible, we must meet the needs and show forth the love of God, feed, cloth, comfort, care for etc. No, they should speak out about all sin, lying, stealing,etc. Speak of it everywhere, go forth and minister to the lost that they may accept Christ as Savior and He will clean up the house if they truly love and accept Him as Lord.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (19:4-11)

How can Christians keep balance on the issue of homosexuality in our day?

Is it really possible to be loving and compassionate toward practicing homosexuals at the same time as you condemn the sin?

Should the church be silent about homosexuality?

If not, what should we be saying?

Where should we be saying it? (Be gentle and loving as you discuss this subject -- please!)

The Bible is our only source of absolute truth and the only natural sexual relationship the Bible recognizes is a heterosexual one within marriage (Gen 2:21-24; Mat 19:4-6). All homosexual relations constitute sexual perversion and are subject to God

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with the good Pastor that homosexuality is equal to heterosexual relations outside of marriage.Sin is sin. God's church must take a stand on all biblical sin and commit to accomplishing this goal in the most loving manner possible. Many people are offended when confronted with their own sin. There are many sins we try to justify because we don't want to change. The best thing we can do is pray for them and encourage them to read God's Word. Only God can change one's heart.

• 4 weeks later...

How can Christians keep balance on the issue of homosexuality in our day?

I think we need to remember the God we love and want to obey. We need to act in a way that is compassionate, but to know that acting out on homosexuality is a sin.....all of this must be through prayer and honesty with oneself and our Savior.

Yes, God hates the sin, as He hates any sin....but can still love the sinner. We need to practice mercy and do all of this in a prayerful attitude.

Should the church be silent about homosexuality?

No, the church needs to bot be silent about homosexuality, but handle this in a loving manner. We can not make ourselves ignorant and therefore accountable for ignoring what is before us.

If not, what should we be saying? Where should we be saying it? (Be gentle and loving as you discuss this subject -- please

We, the church, need to show mercy and kindness. Perhaps someone in your own family suffers with this kind of desire....the sin is to act on the desire, whether it be homosexuality, adultery, drug addiction, abuse. All of our actions need to be tempered with what Christ Jesus would do.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (19:4-11) How can Christians keep balance on the issue of homosexuality in our day? We keep balance with homosexuality by sticking with the truth of God's word. We do not have to balance God's word with sin. Just tell the truth.

Is it really possible to be loving and compassionate toward practicing homosexuals at the same time as you condemn the sin? It is really possible to loving because just like Jesus, we can love the sinner, but hate the sin.

Should the church be silent about homosexuality? If not, what should we be saying? Where should we be saying it? (Be gentle and loving as you discuss this subject -- please!)

No, the church should not be silent about homosexuality. We should say that it is a sin. If asked by a homosexual we should tell them the truth that it is a sin, but that we do love them, but we all have sinned and fall short, but if we confess our sins, God is faithful to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.