JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Laughter at Isaac's Birth

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sarah first laughs for disbelief and then joy. Abraham laughs in skepticism. It just goes to show you that we are God's creation and a part of His emotional expression. Sandy Patty once sang a song about seeing God dance and hearing God sing. To hear Him laugh with joy and express Fatherly humor to His children...wow!

• 3 months later...

Q1. (21:5-7) The name Isaac means "he laughs." What is Sarah's laughter like now compared to her laughter in 18:12-15 and Abraham's laughter in 17:17? What does this tell you about God's sense of humor?

Sarah

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Q1. (21:5-7) The name Isaac means "he laughs." What is Sarah's laughter like now compared to her laughter in 18:12-15 and Abraham's laughter in 17:17?

Back in 17:17 both their laughter was one of "can't wait to see that happen," and in 18:12-15 their laughter is that of joy of finally having a son.

What does this tell you about God's sense of humor?

God is a God of impossibilities and was probably amused at their laughter earlier and after the birth join in with their joy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Q1. (21:5-7) The name Isaac means "he laughs." What is Sarah's laughter like now compared to her laughter in 18:12-15 and Abraham's laughter in 17:17? What does this tell you about God's sense of humor?

Sarah 's laughter is a mixture of heavy emotions , possibiliy of unbelief mixed with hope - in any case, the news is so astounding that it does provoke a response

God laughs at us - seeing our lives because we cannot possibiliy fully trust him at all times , as we are in the flesh !!!!!

• 3 months later...

Sarah's earlier laughter and Abraham's laughter were the laughter of disbelief. This laughter is the laughter of joy, delight and amazement.

All timing is God's timing. God must enjoy amazing human-beings.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

At first she laughed because she did not belief, and after she laughed because of joy.

God's timing is the best, and whatever he as promised, it does not matter how long it takes, it will be fulfilled.

• 1 year later...

The name Isaac means "he laughs." What is Sarah's laughter like now compared to her laughter in 18:12-15 and Abraham's laughter in 17:17? What does this tell you about God's sense of humor?

On the two previous occasions, the laughter had been laughter at the absurdity of what was being promised... incredulous laughter. You can almost here then saying you cannot be serious!! Now though Sarah's laughter is one of pure joy and happiness.

I am not sure what it says about God's sense of humour, but it does show that God always follows through with His plans and with His promises even in the face of incredulous laughter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The name Isaac means "he laughs." What is Sarah's laughter like now compared to her laughter in 18:12-15 and Abraham's laughter in 17:17?

I think her first laughter was of total shock, that kind where our nerves get the best of us....this seemed too far fetched for her to believe , even of her God.....and I think Abraham fell down n the ground in laughter. Now...a son was hers to hold, to love, to cherish and she felt the pure laughter of joy. God's promise...she held in her arms.

What does this tell you about God's sense of humor?

God loves to get the last laugh....and make things turn out for His glory.

• 1 month later...

Sarah's laughter is one of joy with belief. Before her laughter was laughter that doubted that this could happen to her. I think this really lets us know that God probably laughed because of Sarah's unbelief and all he wanted to do was put a little more joy in Sarah and Abraham's life by blessing them with a son. God's thoughts and ways are much higher than ours. We must believe Him and only Him!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

In verse 18:12-15, Sarah's laugh was one of contempt and disbelief. At the birth of of Isaac her laughter became a giddy sense as she realized that God can do what He promises.

I believe that Abraham's laughter was partially at Sarah and partially at the fact that he now had an heir to his wealth. Someone with whom he could raise without Sarah's negative input.

Does God have a sense of humor? Look at the platypus!

• 7 months later...

1a)Sarah’s laughter is now joy and how God has been faithful and provided a son as he promised her. Her laughter earlier was in mocking amusement that God would promise a child to one so old &barren.

b)God is not joking when he makes promises and he gave the name as a constant reminder to Abraham &Sarah. God is full of love, patience, kindness, mercy,He is faithful to his promises.His humour is controlled. He waits for us to realise sometimes that what his Word says is best for us really!

• 9 months later...

Q1. (21:5-7) The name Isaac means "he laughs." What is Sarah's laughter like now compared to her laughter in 18:12-15 and Abraham's laughter in 17:17? What does this tell you about God's sense of humor

Such an interesting consideration. I recall how Jesus said to take the plank out of one's own eye before trying to take the splinter of wood from one other's eye. I saw this done in a movie of th ebook of Matthew and it was done with great humor.

It make me feel God is telling me to lighten up and enjoy life because he hs got it all under his control, and it will end up being good for me; I just need to trust him better and listen closely to all that is happening; i.e. to "remain in Jesus, and ..." let Him do it for me.