JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. God Offers His Only Son, Jesus

There are parallels in the events. There is to be a sacrifice of an innocent. One is left to wonder why Abraham is so willing to plea for the people of Sodom and Gomorrah and is not willing to make a plea for his own son. In parallel we find the crowd willing to plea for the life of a murderer and unwilling to plea for a truly innocent Jesus. There is a lesson to be learned a little bit of wisdom to be found in these events. Faith is not easy. You can flat line faith and then it looks easy, but What kind of faith is that? What is flat line faith? That is faith that is untried, unexplored, and unreasoned. It is easy faith and faith with out substance. Abraham's faith is tried through out his life. The result is this overpowering faith in God. He knew that what God had in store was for the best and everthing would work out for the best. That is the only way he could have carried this out this far. He walked and talked with his son for days on this trip to the mountain. He knew that at the end God had a plan and that plan was good. The story of Jesus is the same. God walked and talked with his son for years knowing that when they came down from the mountain the world would be a better place.

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. How does Abraham's near sacrifice of his beloved, only son Isaac help you understand better Jesus' crucifixion?

Abraham was willing to sacrifice His onlu son as the Father was willing to give His son. They gave their ALL. There was no hesitation on Aabrahams part. aThey were put put to the test, both were obedient aand obeyed without doubt or fear. Christ carried the cross like Isaac carried the wood on his back.

• 4 months later...

Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son illustrates a total commitment to God and complete faith in Him to do what he promises. God gave us His Son as a total commitment to mankind, to be our God and give us the chance to have a relationship with the Holy One. This could never happen without Jesus' selfless sacrifice.

Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son illustrates a total commitment to God and complete faith in Him to do what he promises. God gave us His Son as a total commitment to mankind, to be our God and give us the chance to have a relationship with the Holy One. This could never happen without Jesus' selfless sacrifice.

• 3 months later...

Q4. How does Abraham's near sacrifice of his beloved, only son Isaac help you understand better Jesus' crucifixion?

It is difficult to escape the conclusion that this story of Abraham is like an acted out prophecy of the unimaginable -- the Heavenly Father who offers his only Son, the Son whom he loves, on the cross, as a Lamb that only he can provide, to accomplish what only he can accomplish -- to take away the sin of the world.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

God knew how precious Isaac was to Abraham. What a sacrifice that would have been for Abraham. Isaac I would imagine was everything to Abraham. Isaac was the promise of God to Abraham in his old age and the basis of the rest of Abraham's future descendants. The bottom line is that Isaac was precious to Abraham. Jesus was and is precious to God the Father. What a sacrifice God made of His only begotten Son for the atonement of human sin.

• 2 months later...

It shows me that Abraham really, truly, believed God that He would provide the sacrifice that he needed, when he needed it. Abraham trusted God with his whole heart, no doubt or fear, and he was obedient to the Lord. He loved the Lord enough that he was willing to offer his only son as a sacrifice. God did the same for us. He offered His only Son for our sins so that we could have eternal life and relationship with Him. Our Heavenly Father loved us that much. Jesus Christ loved us that much to become that sacrifice. Praise the Lord Jesus for becoming that lamb to be sacrificed and shedding His blood on calvary. I LOVE YOU LORD JESUS.

Without the shedding of blood there is forgiveness of sin. Jesus was the perfect Lamb of God who took away our sin. Just like God provided a lamb to die instead of Isaac as Abraham trusted God I also trust that Christ to take away my sins.

• 1 year later...
How does Abraham's near sacrifice of his beloved, only son Isaac help you understand better Jesus' crucifixion? First of all, it shows Abraham being prepared to sacrifice his only son and therefore gives us an idea of what God was prepared to sacrifice for us when He gave His only son to die for us. It also, through Isaac shows us something of Jesus. It is not recorded that at any time Isaac resisted or questioned his father. He obeyed everything that Abraham told him and trusted in his father Abraham in the same way as Jesus obeyed His Father saying "not my will but yours". Second, if you take Isaac as a symbol of the whole of mankind, it demonstrates what would have happened had God not been prepared to sacrifice His only son (the lamb) for our sins. If God had not provided the lamb for sacrifice to Abraham, then Isaac himself would have been the sacrifice. In the same way, if God had not given His only son to die for us, we ourselves would be lost and would effectively be the sacrifice. Finally, and connected to the second point, we see God providing a lamb for sacrifice instead of Isaac. This clearly foreshadows the provision of Jesus to offer His life as the sacrificial lamb in our stead on the Cross.

What Abraham must have been going through and yet his obedience to God. As a parent I can fully understand just how terrible he must have felt. It is hard to put into words the heartache Abraham must have felt.

Then I think of God and His perfect son, sinless, perfect in all ways,willing to sacrifice His only son for a sinful people. We have done nothing to deserve any sacrifice for our sins. HOW GREAT IS OUR GOD. His love overwhelms me. To have so great a love is what I strive for.

What a test of faith and assurance. Abraham's faith now begins to shine, his assurance in our Father God is on test, what a visual lesson this is for all believers.

Our Father how to part with His only Son to pay the price of our sin, what an assurance, what a Saviour.

Man of sorrows

What a name

For the Son of God who came

Ruin sinners to reclaim

Hallelujah what a Saviour

• 2 weeks later...

Such love, how can we understand it, the giving of a son, to watch it that place, to be part of the death, my it moves me to tears.

For in that while we were yet sinners, Christ Jesus died for us.

Such love, pure as the whitest snow

Such love, weeps for the shame I know

Such love, paying the debt I owe

O Jesus, such love

Such love, stilling my restlessness

Such love, filling my emptiness

Such love, showing me holiness

O Jesus, such love

Such love, springs from eternity

Such love, streaming through history

Such love, fountain of life to me

O Jesus, such love

• 2 months later...

In my self I can hardly comprehend what Abraham 's obedience. In my flesh I know how much pain that would cause me to do that to one of my children. But it's not about our loss it about the mighty power of God to restore what ever is broken and lost. God gave His some because He so desired a relationship with His creation. God has given me revelation of what He has done for me, and I can't even express my love for Him in words.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We are all parents or children. It is unfathomable to think of having to sacrifice our child, our only child, our only son for the greater good. It is something that touches us all on a deep level. To think that the Almighty God of the universe would do this for us... That the Great King would lay down His life for us. It's more awesome than words can describe.

• 3 weeks later...

How does Abraham's near sacrifice of his beloved, only son Isaac help you understand better Jesus' crucifixion?

He was willing to give his child, who he loved, as a pure and obsolute act of obedience because God asked him.....to know this kind of love that we feel for our children is the one thing that shows us how God must have felt. Not that we can know the depth of love, but we sure love our little ones. God must have anguished over what had to be done to give us a reprieve from sin and eternal death.

• 2 months later...

How does Abraham's near sacrifice of his beloved, only son Isaac help you understand better Jesus' crucifixion?

It helps me to understand it better because Abraham as an eartly father due to his obedience was willing to sacrifice his son because of the love he had for our faithful Father God.

• 5 months later...

As I ponder the faith of both Abraham and Isaac I am in awe. As you read the account from the beginning and how Abraham waited for so long for the promise of his son and now the son is here and the love that Abraham must have had for the son he long waited for. Now hearing that he was to sacrifice his son as a burnt offering for him must have been the hardest test of faith that he ever experienced. If that was me I probably would have hesitated or maybe try to say the voice I am hearing is really not of God. Can you imagine the love that Abraham had for his son? However much it was his love for God was more because he did not hesitate. He believed God so strongly that even if he killed Isaac that God would raise him from the dead. What a faith that is! He believed though that God would provide a lamb. He didn't know how but God would provide.

Imagine Isaac going up the mount carry the wood on his back (just like Jesus carried his wooden cross. He was no baby and I don't believe he was just a child. I believe he was anywhere from 10-15 years of age. Old enough to know and definitely strong enough if he carried wood, to get away from Abraham when Abraham came to him to bind him. But Isaac went willingly! He was strong enough to get away from his dad but he willingly allowed Abraham to bind him. That pictures how Jesus was the willing sacrifice for us! What a beautiful picture of the Gospel.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

When reading of Abraham's' near sacrifice of Isaac I experienced a sense of sadness and anxiety combined with faith and love that what he was doing needed to be done in order to fulfill God's will. Although God never said that He experienced any negative feelings while preparing His only son for crucification I believe that despite His return, there was some discomfort.

• 7 months later...

Abraham went to sacrifice only true son out of sincere devotion, Heavenly Father sacrificied only son, both sons whom loved. Abraham said to Isaac God will provide the Lamb for burnt offering.Jesus designated the Lamb of God. Abraham anguished at his task, but God gave what he needed to follow task

.Jesus sacrifice to take a away sin of world,was costly, but essential for us to be free from satan’s grip..It took Abraham 3days to get to place of sacrifice.Passion of Christ to resurrection similar period.

We are only willing to sacrifice for another out of love for someone.

• 1 year later...

The near sacrifice of Isaac helps me to understand the crucifixion of Jesus because Isaac was the only son of Abraham and all that Abraham went through while he was going to sacrifice his son shows us the human response of the sacrifice. We can only imagine what God went through when Jesus was sacrificed for the sins of the world.

• 8 months later...

The near sacrifice of Isaac at God's required great trust, obedience, and love for God on Abraham's part.  Isaac was the only son Abraham has left and he was the child of promise and future hope. 

Likewise, Jesus was the only begotten Son of God and to sacrifice Him for human sin must have taken great love and confidence in His plan for human salvation.  Even though Jesus rose on the third day, the brutal acts of the Romans and Jews throughout the arrest, trial, punishment, and crucifixion of Jesus was not easy for a loving father.  Not easy just to stand by and allow this event to take place.  Take God for His love and mercy.  I cannot really comprehend Jesus' crucifixion on the cross completely.  But, I am thankful to God for Jesus Christ.