JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Now that you're finished with the Faith of Abraham, what did you get out of this study of Abraham's life? How would you evaluate the study? What can be improved?

I learned a lot about the times and culture Abraham lived in. It even inspired me to look some information up, such as the Hammurabi Code. It brought out so well the human-ness of Abraham and I appreciated him and his example even more than I had before.

I thoroughly enjoyed the study and look forward to continue with other studies with Joyful Heart.

I am sure everything can be improved but at this point I like the way it was presented and greatly value the teaching, especially the way Pastor Ralph always brings the point of the lesson into present time and teaches us how to apply the lesson to our lives today.

Many, many thanks.

Lesson 11 Q 5

(a) What I got out of this story of Abraham's life is it encourages me to have a closer relationship with my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. I want to come to know Jesus more and more having Abraham as my example. The story of Abraham challenges me. Amen!

(B) I would evaluate the study on a scale of 1 -10, as a 9. I like the way you look at each chapter and verse, breaking it down to give us more understanding of what the portion of scripture is saying. Thank you.

© I do not know how to bring about more improvement but it would be great if we could get graded on our answers. This is not possible I know, with all of the students you have. Not humanly possible - with God everything is possible. Amen? Not being graded do not affect what I have learned. This is my first study with you and I am becoming richer because of it and I know God will pull out what I've learned when He needs to use it. Once again, a big Thank you.

• 1 month later...
Q5. Now that you're finished with the Faith of Abraham, what did you get out of this study of Abraham's life? How would you evaluate the study? What can be improved?

Thank you for this great opprotunity to study. The audio was especially beneficial for me. I am duly trying to learn all I can and I am enrolled in EFM (Education for Ministry) as a first year student, studying the Old Testament. Your lessons help me to things into perspective. A great service for all.

• 6 months later...

I learned through faith all things are possible if we open our hearts to accept the answer God sends, it doesn't waver just because it doesn't come in our time.

The studies are very complete and historical as well as biblical I like that. There is nothing new the bible repeats itself from historical stand point. We just need to discern the old when put beside the now.

I'm not sure how or if it could be improved since you have people at different levels of understanding God's Word. I myself like to cross reference the scriptures I'm studying as far as they can be searched, the studies offer the chance to go deeper or just do the studies and questions. Great studies.

I really enjoyed this study. What struck me the most about Abraham's life was how he obeyed God without question, especially when asked to sacrifice his son, Isaac. I can only pray that I do the same thing just as well as he did. I thought it was great the similarities between the sacifice Jesus gave to us and the sacrifice Abraham was willing to do with his son Isaac. Thanks for all your insights. I hope there will be more studies on heroes of our faith.

• 4 weeks later...

This is the first on-line Bible study I've ever done, and I was hesitant to enroll in it at first. After all, I have my church activities three days (or nights) a week, my Emmaus community in which I am involved, plus daily devotionals and Bible readings here at home. However, I've been preparing a study on Genesis which I'm to teach. I had already worked up material for the first 11 chapters when I began searching for resources for the rest of the book. When I took the plunge and signed on to the Abraham study, I have never been so awed. The questions inspired in-depth thinking. I could hardly wait to get a question so I could get in here and answer it. But, more often than not, I would not leave the question at my desk. I'd think on it all during the day. I'd discuss it with my husband. Then, I'd discuss it with my friends. I knew my friend Mike loved Genesis, so I told him about it. He is now coming up just behind me on the study. So, Pastor Ralph, if your plan is evangelism, it is really working in this part of southwest Arkansas. I thank you so much for this gift, and I thank God for blessing me through your study. We Christians tend to think of the Pentecost, the coming of the Holy Spirit, as the core beginning of our church. From what I know about my Jewish friends, they seem to count from Moses and their deliverance from Egypt as a beginning. But since this study of Abraham, I am ever mindful that God put His plan into action long years before either event with a pagan tribesman who had the faith to be led by the One God, a god that he could not see, but who spoke to him and made promises to him--promises He's still keeping to this day.

• 4 weeks later...

It is good to find a bible study that treates the participants as adults. The confidence that Dr Wilson showed us was unique. Too often you engage in a Bible study and everything is either "multiple Choice"or "Good /Evil. Here we were encourged to explore the Bible and other sources. I will be back for more. I am just sorry that other things have kept me from particpating as fully as I would have liked. God bless you.

Mike

• 1 year later...

My answer to question 4 is the answer to your first part.

I always enjoy your studies and finish with greater knowledge and understanding than I began with. I pray the Lord give me the wisdom to use what I have received. On to the next one.

• 7 months later...

Q5. Now that you're finished with the Faith of Abraham, what did you get out of this study of Abraham's life?

Looking at the life of Abraham I am encouraged to exercise my faith, to trust God and allow His will to be worked in and through me. This study has also showed me the rewards of intercession. My job is to intercede for my brothers and sisters, turn it over to God and wait for the answer; which ever way God chooses to answer is good for all involved.

How would you evaluate the study?

This is an excellent study and I would recommend it to anyone.

What can be improved?

I do not have any offering to improve this study.

• 5 weeks later...

I see the example of Abraham when he didn't rely on God, as compared to when he did. It makes me see that in myself. I want to make God the complete center of my life and to trust and rely on him through the bad times and the good. Sometimes I let fear sneak in and I want the faith of Abraham to keep God in the center of my life.

I enjoyed this study very much. Thank God and thank you.

• 6 months later...

Abraham's faith walk with God is an inspiration and an encouragement to me in my faith walk with God. I apply his approach to God to my approach to God.

This study provided a great in-depth look at the process Abraham went through in developing an intimate relationship with God and how he responded and followed God's call in his life. The same principles and dynamics that worked in Abraham's life work in our lives today in 2008.

This study was outstanding as it stands.

• 2 months later...

I got out of this study that Abraham had the faith that I want also. To believe and trust the Lord completely, without asking why or doubting, taking the Lord at His word knowing that He will never fail or leave me, it doesn't matter what trial or test I go through, God is always right there with me, to lead and guide me, to encourage me, and to show me that He does love me unconditionally. This study is excellent. I don't think you can improve on it. It teaches how we can have a close relationship with our Lord Jesus Christ.

The experiences of Abraham are much more significant to us than merely providing an insight into the love of God. The promises to Abraham are the very kernel of the real Christian hope. The Apostle Paul wrote to the Galatians:

`And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.' [Galatians 3.8]

The promises to Abraham are the true Christian gospel. They speak of a time of blessing for all nations to be achieved through the seed or descendant of Abraham. In Galatians chapter 3 Paul is at pains to stress that this reference to a seed did not refer to many descendants, but rather to one specific descendant, Jesus Christ (see Galatians 3.16). Through Christ, all nations can receive a wonderful blessing which will be fully realised when the promise to Abraham is fulfilled. He was promised the land of Canaan for an everlasting possession. Abraham never received it in his lifetime

• 1 year later...

There are many things I walked away with in this study. I believe that Abraham is an example of what faith looks like and is known as the father of faith. There are many things in the bible about Abraham and his life that were confusing - Sarah's abductions, sending away Ishmael. I couldn't understand. This study has been so well researched and has really 'shed light' on areas that I needed further explanations. I was able to read posts of other brothers and sisters that even allowed me to see more perspectives than just my own. The study is a true blessing; I wouldn't change a thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that you're finished with the Faith of Abraham, what did you get out of this study of Abraham's life? How would you evaluate the study? What can be improved?

I loved the study of Abraham and his life, his ups and downs, his wife Sarah....and oh, yes, her sometimes meddling that God used for glory. It was inspirational because Abraham believed that Yahweh is the one true God and was obedient to Him. It made me realize that as humans we can take that step that allows us to follow, to trust and be obedient to our God. Abraham seemed real....

I got a lot out of the study by really focusing on Abraham and seeing the Hand of God moving , even in circumstances that seemd forced by another. It shows that God uses ALL circumstance and gives me comfort to go on with belief and joy.

• 2 months later...

This study gave me more insight about Abraham's life. I had no idea that Abraham and Sarah were brother and sister. Abraham was also concerned about Ishmael's future and God assured him that Ishmael would be blessed also. I did not know that he had other sons and he gave them gifts and sent them away because Issac is the true heir of Abraham, (his only son). The study was great especially since I love learning about Old Testament people.

• 1 year later...

5A)That faith &trust matters most. He achieved much even by a simple trust in God’s provision,our IQ wealth,social status mattering least.

B)though study thank you

• 7 years later...

Abraham’s life inspires me to walk in obedience with the Lord and in the process to develop in faith. For it is the lingua franca of heaven. Hebrews 11:6 says that without faith it is impossible to please God. Those who comes to Him must believe that He is and He is the rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

Thoroughly enjoyed this study.

• 3 months later...

That a life of faith is truly rewarded by God when you choose to believe in Him. That it was informative and helpful. Can't think of anything.

• 1 year later...

It was good to be reminded once again that Abraham, this man I look up to, was human. In his humaness we find faith, success, obedience, even failure is not overlooked. In it all God could use him. My God is still the same. Even as Abraham believed,...  Oh my God, help me believe......    

The study was great. Thank you. 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

This study has help me to increase my faith walk even more. I love to study the lives of people who had faith in God to accomplish the impossible. 

The study was a very good study on the life of Abraham. It was very detailed and I don't see any room for any improvements. The study was very detailed about all the main people that were involved. It really examine the people's attitudes and how life was back then. Examining their lives show you what to do and what not to do with your walk with God.