JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Doublemindedness

Oh, I forgot to mention that I am always reminded of the refinement that God has for me as I remember James 1:2-3, as well as Romans 5:1-5. I don't believe all trials are resultant of sin or even anything that we have done ourselves. I mean, look at Job. ;)

I believe how we come out of those trials is almost more important than the trials themselves.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doublemindedness is also as a result of confusion.When we are deaf to the voice of God , and choose to work by what we see or feel. Trials do not cure us of doublemindedness per say, but causes us to think and submit to God's will when we can obviously do nothing about the situation. Invariable, When we relax and choose to focus on God, we will see His hand in the situation and this causes us to grow in faith when God sees us through after all the failed personal self-help attempts.

Q3. (1:5-8) How do trials help cure us of "doublemindedness"?

Trials teach us to keep our focus on Him and to trust Him.

How do trials help us grow in faith?

When we face trials in our life, God is there to strengthen us. We grow in our faith as we praise and thank Him for always being there for us. :rolleyes:

By not doubting!! If God said it believe it!! If He leads you to it , He will lead you through it. There will never be placed on you more than you can handle with God's help. Lean on Him and let Him guide you. Ask for wisdom and then believe that God will give you that wisdom and not doubt it. We grow in faith by learning from our mistakes and not repeating them. We make new commitments and go in new directions, so new trials come into focus.

Trials in my life have shown me that if I give them to God as He instructs us to do in His word, then truly I am free and my burdens become very light and easy. When I don't turn to God then doublemindedness can slip in. He has all the answers to all the trials, it is our job to just simply trust Him with them. It sounds so easy and as I grow, it becomes easier, but their are times when I want to try and tackle a trial without waiting on Him and sure disaster follows. I am growing. Thank You Jesus for being patient with me.

These trials break the hold sin have in our lives, and by achieving this we learn to be loyal to Christ. By being loyal to Christ and going through trials our faith grows to the point that we know in our hearts their is no one not even ourselves that we can trust to help us, except the Lord.

How can you know that you have faith until your faith is exercised? God often sends us trials so that our graces may be discovered and that we may be convinced of their existence.

When trials push us to the breaking point, and we realize that we alone are unable to overcome our predicament, the truth of God

How do trials help cure us of "doublemindedness"? How do trials help us grow in faith?

Trials make us face our sins, make us own up to them. If we don't see them, don't realize them, we can't repent. So, when we face trials and repent, we see God's hand in the ongoing sanctification process as the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit washes the sin from us. When we find this happening, our faith is stronger because we know it will continue to happen. As long as trials happen, we know God is working for our good which brings joy.

How do trials help cure us of "doublemindedness"?

By forcing us to concentrate upon essentials, be they health, wealth or spiritual. :unsure::o If we submit to the Lord's promptings He will guide and guard us in all things, the trick is to trust in the Lord without reserve!

May you all know the peace of our Lord within your hearts.

JohnK

Trials are Gods way of waking us up, most if not all of the trials that I have been through I wound up on my knees asking God to deliver me from the pain. When I was confused the only choice I had was to go to God because it was the only true answer. Going through trials help me to see that the only way to get answers is through the Lord Jesus Christ. The only time there was peace was when I went to the Lord with the problem, opened my heart, mind and soul and allowed him to take full control of what I was feeling, hearing and speaking. My faith through time and trials grew and continues to grow everyday.

trials cure us of double mindedness as we learn the power of the word and the blood. We need to talk back to the enemy when we get weary, when we are in the wilderness and feel abandonded by God. We need to learn to be on the offenense instead of so focused on the defense. Singing praises, speaking the word out loud to the devil, that is the way it has helped me. if we don't do that we do become doubleminded because the devil will have us doubting God.

Hi Yall,

1.-steadfastness is a product of trials.

2.-I need wisdom to face the trials.

3.-I need faith to recieve wisdom from God.

Don't see here how the trials bring me to faith, only that faith gets me through trials and I end up a more mature christian!!

Is this what you are sayin here?

When one goes through trials you end up thinking a lot of things therefore becoming doubleminded but when your trust and faith is in God you are cured of doublemindedness because you know that God will handle the trial for you.

At the same time you grow in Faith because you are trusting God for a breakthrough in you trial

Trials force us question our own faith -- our relaibility as a Christian. It gives us a chance to make more reliable choices -- to test ourselves-- and to know that God is close to us when we are enduring hardships. Trials give us the ability to relent of our wrongdoings and try to lose the lure of Satan. it is not always easy, BUT truth can overcome deceit.

How do trials help cure us of doublemindedness ?

By realizing the total dependence we need in God totally, not just now or then, or at a sign of trouble.

How do trials help us grow in faith ?

They can actually be allowed by God, to help us grow in our faith toward God. Building our faith , Knowing God has everything in his hand's. and truely standing on the promises and the word of God.

Richard S.

Pastor Ralph hit the nail on the head about trials "pushing the issue" and bringing hidden areas (sometimes not so hidden) to the surface, so we can work on them (with God's help). The double-minded part is real accurate. Until a person is willing to really be rid of a sin, through and through, there is no real power to overcome it. It's like God provides this awesome power to kill the sin, every sin in our life, but we're secretly saying, "Oh, but I'm not gonna really touch this one, I like it too much." So it's impossible to kill the sin because it is we--us--that don't direct the power against it even when it's provided. Not that we'd openly admit that as even beinjg a thought in our Christians heads, but that's what our actions are saying, and this is what is meant by "dipsychos". The struggle Paul described is in Romans 7. Romans 8 describes the Spirit led life, when this "double-mindedness" has been conquered.

I can see now that when this statement by James about "double-mindedness" is properly applied to the main topic of the lead paragraph of his letter (which it actually is a part of)--the subject, trials--it makes sense. Most people stumble over the "double-minded" verse, not really knowing what to make of it--"wisdom, what do I need that for in a trial?"--"why do I care about being double-minded, if I'm not interested in wisdom--I've got this trial to get out of!" That's how most must view this, not understanding the process, and thus never really growing. Not to say all trials may end when you become single-minded of purpose and have set new spiritual priorities (although they may for awhile), but you do find God's blessings flowing and open lines of communication between God and you once these things are straightened out. I think Romans 8 describes what happens when this "double-mindedness" is dealt with, whereas Romans 7 describes the actual battle we encounter when trying to deal with it. It's like, I think, you can decide to conquer this "enemy", but the actual conquering is something else, he's not gonna go quietly or easily. I am beginning to wonder if this isn't a lifelong struggle, this purification process. I don't know, I'm not there yet... <_< Pete

Trials help me not be doubleminded in that I have to exercise faith to go through these trials. I see the trials as some huge mountain and in order to get over that mountain, I know that of myself I cannot make it but with God I can do all things. Therefore I do not even try. Now I was never always like this. It has taken maturity to bring me to this place. Guess what has made me so mature - you are right - trials.

Q3. (1:5-8) How do trials help cure us of "doublemindedness"? How do trials help us grow in faith

We as humans grew up in societies where we learn to believe what we see and to be opportune and doubleminded in all our dealings. But when a trial comes and the trial corners us to a point where by we have no choice but to ask God for deliverance it also cleanses us from doublemindedness and from the attitude of leaning to ones capability. Trials like this help us to grow in faith and lean on God.

Q3. (1:5-8) How do trials help cure us of "doublemindedness"? How do trials help us grow in faith?

So often we try to go about solving things on our own instead of calling on God to begin with as He wants us to. He allows us to stumble and fall as we weakly try to solve things "our way". When we finally reach the point of turning to Him for help, therefore seeing what wonderous things He will do when asked, only then do we completely trust Him. Again, it is only through trials that we see how God will work in our lives if we will only surrender to Him.

Q3. (1:5-8) How do trials help cure us of "doublemindedness"? How do trials help us grow in faith?

If we are in doubt we should keep asking God for help. Every trial we go through we are not alone. We continue to ask for help and when we find that we can go through trials and not faulter we become stronger in faith and gain more knowledge and wisdom.

• 2 weeks later...

For a God who sees every conrner of our our heart, were probably worse than double minded - many sins on one hand, yet cleansed by the blood of the Lord.

Trials are the master work of the potter - giving us trials we can bear..so as to remove our double mindedness) over a period of time. A continuous task for the master craftsman, which he lovingly does through his Holy Spirit. Its up to us to learn faster!

• 2 weeks later...

When we go through trials and pray that God will give us the wisdom needed to overcome our trial we then see How the Lord answered our prayers. We then have a stronger faith in our prayers and know that the Lord will help us.

Our trials bring us closer to God. We spend more time praying for guidance and help and in turn spend more time focused on the Lord. Our faith becomes stronger through these close times and more reliance on the Lord.