JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q8. True Religion

Your words reveal the way you are inside, we cannot be loving toward God and not fellow men. Love is not limited by social class or race.

For we need to be doers and not just listeners, For the way a person thinks about God and others will become clear by the way he acts. This reflects the condition of his heart.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. The tongue can no man tame. Job prayed that God would keep the door of his lips and put a guard on his mouth. He obviously knew the

damage that his tongue could bring to him and others. Ecclesiastes

says , "keep thy foot when thou enterest into the house of God, and

be more ready to hear than to give the sacrifice of fools" . WE want to

bring justification to our selfish acts, and defend our actions, but instead we end up making a fool of ourselves. God hates gossip and

the tongue produces this type of poison.

To care for the poor is an act of unselfishness, where you give out

of your heart expecting nothing in return- but seen by God.

2. Our quiet time and worship are important, but they are actions that are personal and intimate between us and God. They do not have

an external impact upon the world .

Q4. (1:26-27) Why does James make taming the tongue and caring for the poor the prime tests of pure religion? Why not the quality of our quiet time or worship?

Religion is about doing: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you-- it is an active expression of an inward change--

James is concerned that we understand that pure religion is sensitive to others: visit the widow/orphan--which implies not just socializing but caring for them-- taming the tongue so as not to speak ill of others--

Relationship with God and Christ involves: worship and quiet time--very important--but very personal!!

Worship: is surrendering to Christ--allowing Him to live through us--it involves getting quiet before the Lord--listening to His voice--reading His word.

The evidence of God within is how we act/react to our brothers and sisters in Christ and the world around us.

The bible says the issues of life and death are in the tongue.

Imagine the power of a pastor to create a home by saying a few words over the heads of the intending couple. And imagine the destruction of that marriage over a few words said without discretion.

Imagine the gift of salvation upon confession using the tongue.

Quiet time or a lack of it has consequences for that soul only that elects to do so. But theinability to briddle the tonguecan have consequences for a whole nation

Q4. (1:26-27) Why does James make taming the tongue and caring for the poor the prime tests of pure religion? Why not the quality of our quiet time or worship?

Taming the tongue and caring for the poor reveal the love of Jesus in us and will glorify the Lord. We are to show our love by edifying others with uplifting words and doing unselfish acts. We are not to gossip as that is a sin. The quality of our quiet time and worship is very important between us and God, however we are to be salt and light for the world to see and by taming the tongue and caring for the poor the world can see we are indeed salt and light all for the glory of God.

The tongue can be a powerful instrument for either love or evil (sin).

We can either bless others with our words or curse others with our words.

Words do have meaning and consequences. Taming of the tonque is an exercise of faith and growth for a person who is trying to work out his/her faith in the area of human relationships where God in Christ has told us to love our neighbor as ourselves and do no harm to our neighbor. The tonque can be used for making a person feel valued or not valued. People have feelings and we can either build them up by our words or break them down by our words.

Many of us would never think of murdering our neighbor, friend, coworker, husband, wife etc. but we can, so to speak, murder them with words of distain, meaness, disrespect or even curse words. The tongue CAN KILL and all of us have a tongue.

When one is not walking in the Spirit, we can easily let our guard down and allow our selfish old man take over with our tongue and cause us to be unkind with our words and in effect murder someone with our words.

As Christians we are called to bless others, in the sense of seeking the best for them, no matter how we may be treated.

Romans 12:14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep. Be of the same mind toward one

another. Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Do not be wise in your own opinion.

1 Corinthians 4: 12b Being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we endure; being defamed, we entreat.

So, therefore, even if people use their tongue against us, we are still told to bless and this does take Christian maturity. We must constantly seek the Lord's face about this and seek His grace to be able to tame our tongue and I believe this is a life long challenge. We must walk in the Spirit so that we do not do the deeds of the flesh!

As for caring for the poor, this is a normal progression for one who is born of the Spirit as God loves the poor because they need His care and we who name the Name of Christ and who have been blessed by the Lord should share our time and wealth with those who are in need. I really think that this is common sense as well as a command!

Our quiet time and worship is not unimportant as it can help us very much so to be able to tame the tonque and reach out to the poor. But James seems to be saying that these two things, taming the tongue and giving to the poor, are out growths of our relationship to God and they are a good witness to our growth and maturity in the Lord and shows that we are doers of the Word and not just hearers.

Just my thoughts,

SB8 for Jesus!

Why does James make taming the tongue and caring for the poor the prime tests of pure religion? Why not the quality of our quiet time or worship?

Because if my religious practice does not result in doing the things my religion teaches, the perfect law, then I have not been changed by the religion, and I do not carry that religion in my heart. Religion is worthless if it does not work its way in us. And our worship becomes hypocritical and distateful to God.

To keep one from being polluted by the world on e can occupy their time by looking after orphans and widows. This showing perfect , liberating love in Christianity today. If we love God, we will love those in need that can not benefit us in any way. We are showing the love of Christ when we give to the needs of others rather than in our quiet time and worship. Someone else benefits rather than ourselves.

Taming the tongue is a true test of religion for me because sometimes it's difficult to do. It takes real trust in the Lord to be able to hold my tongue because I want validation of what's on my mind. I don't need validation from anyone other than God. He knows what's in my heart. He hears my plea. He hears my defense. Not taming the tongue can lead to all sorts of problems. Once we say something it can never be unsaid. This is especially true of gossip. Gossip is hurting to all involved. Not only to the person we are talking about but also to ourselves. I know that when I gossip, I harbor all sorts of feelings along with the gossip--most likely anger, and sometimes envy, jealousy, or bitterness creep in. When I'm acting like that I am truly not in the image of God.

Caring for the poor is doing something and expecting nothing in return. If we are fortunate enough to have an abundance we should always share it with those less fortunate. It's also a wonderful opportunity to witness.

While the quality of our quiet time and worship is important to our spiritual growth, it is known only to the Lord as it should be. A "test" means something is to be measured. In the case of taming our tongue, non-Christians are always watching us. If I am to be walking with the Lord, I must act accordingly-not in a show-off manner, but in a sincere "this is how I live for Christ" manner.

It must be natural because Christ lives within me and everything I say or do should be done knowing that I am in His presence.

Why does James make the taming of the tongue and caring for the poor the prime tests of pure religion? Why not the quality of our quiet time or worship?

Both J. Vernon McGee and Matthew Henry call a religion without a tight rein on the tongue a vain religion. Its easy to put on good speech and parade about when things are going well and when it will make us look good. Matthew Henry says "In a worthless religion there is much show. When men are more concerned to seem religious than really to be so, it is a sign that their religion is worthless. In a worthless religion there is much censuring of others."

The tongue can destroy life and God would give life. Is it not more important that we control our tongues and ask God for that precious wisdom that He so generously gives and thereby glorify Him and lead others to Him. Who am I to criticize others when "He picked me up out of the miry clay and set my feet upon a rock and established my goings."

My quiet times and worship are important but they are important in my private life. However I also believe the more time we spend in quiet with Him the more we gain control over our tongues so the quality time is very important and the taming of the tongue is the result. If we would spend our private time thinking about God and who He I don't think we would have near the problem with the tongue.

God loves the poor and if we love truly Him it will show by how much we care for the poor. Besides He cares for us and sometimes I think I am very poor in love and kindness and I need Him to care for me even though I am so poor in those areas where He is so rich and good.

As always I have a lot of work to do.

I remember once reading J. Vernon McGee say "I only know the thoughts of a righteous man and those are scary enough." I can relate. Can you?

God Bless,

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

TO THE QUESTION: GOD MADE US TEETH, SO TO HARDNESS OUR TONGUE! THE TONGUE CAN SPEAK FALSE. WHEN THE HEART IS WALKING WITH JESUS, IT SPEAKS THE TRUTH, AS THE TONGUE WILL.

GOD ASKS US TO BE SILENT, SO WE MAY HEAR HIS WISDOM. THEN SHARE THIS WISDOM WITH OTHER HUMANS THAT HAVE NOT YET COME TO BE SAVED. IT IS HARD FOR ME TO REMEMBER THIS WHEN I'M NOT WALKING IN LIGHT.

THANK YOU,

DEBORA

Jesus said that the tongue is sharper than any two edged sword. Words can be and often are some of the most painful things one person can inflict on another.

Many times when we care for the poor, we have to get our hands dirty...so to speak. This shows humility, which is what Jesus showed when He came and died for us.

WHY DOES JAMES MAKE TAMING THE TONGUE...?

THIS IS A GREAT LESSON AND I AM THANKFUL

TO BE PARTICIPANT.

STARTING WITH THE SMALLEST MUSCLE, THE TONGUE

STIRS GREAT EMOTIONS OF LOVE

AS GREAT EPICS OF WAR

CAN PREACH GOD'S WORD

CAN DESTROY A VIRGINS WORLD

CAN PRONOUNCE THE WORD "MOM"

CAN PRONOUNCE THE WORD "HATE"

ALL IN ONE MOTION OF THE TONGUE

WE MUST BE AWARE OF OUR TONGUE

WE NEED LOTS OF HELP HERE

AND THIS LESSON HAS HELPED ME A LOT.

CARING FOR OTHERS HEPS ME A LOT

SINCE PRAYING AND MEDITATING

INDICATES THE ACTION THAT I MUST

TAKE TO GLORIFY OUR FATHER..

MAY GOD RICHLY BLESS YOU.

from out of the mouth the heart speaks. You can worship with your mouth and not your heart. You can have quiet time and not press into God for deeper understanding. You can never control what is in you from coming out of your mouth.

It is very easy to 'look down' or 'put down' on someone who has less than us. Learning to share and accept those who need care warms the soul. and makes one feel so much better. I thasnk God for all the goodness I have received in my lifetime, and hopefully , I do not shun those who have less. The more active I become in society helping others --- will account for more than quiet time or worship. Action speaks louder than words. Be a doer and not a listener.

It is easy to criticize or speak unkindly. However, once said it can;t be taken back.

Our tongue is one of the most dangerous parts of our body if not tamed properly; it is compared to forest fire that can devastate thousand square miles of forest in a matter of minutes. It is an instrument to serve both satan and God; we praise God through our tongue and we did also gossip people and even lie and dessive people through the same tongue. The bible talks about the words that come through our mouth as being an overflow of what the heart is filled with. If it is filled with evil that will spell over through the tongue and if it is filled with kindness, love, happiness, and the rest of the fruits of the Spirit that will be what will spill over. And the thus one can say that what comes out of your mouth is the true test of what you believe in. We are to only speak that which edifies and blesses the hearer.

We are ambasadors of Christ and others will judge us based on our words and actions. If what is filled in your heart is love and kindness not only did your tongue bring it out , but you also express it by caring for others in loving kindness and that is the true test of a faith. Worshipping and quiet time are necessary but you only talk to God during these times; and the ultimate test comes when you have to get away from the quite time and practise the will of God for your life.

It is so easy for a Christian to become like a Pharisee. I've seen this only too often, a person that claims to be a Christian points their finger and flops their tongue to some one that is not dressed like, talks like, acts like, or the person is living in some gross sin.

James tells us a person is deceived in his own heart and his religion is in vain if he acts as what was said in the paragraph above.

"Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father" are powerful words. We must visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction in order to keep ourselves "unspotted from the world". Otherwise, we would be as the Pharisee.

James, following the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, tells us to be "doers of the word, not hearers only. Quite time is our time with the Lord.

The tongue may be a small member, but can cause so much destruction. By watching what we say and helping others with the love of Jesus shows others the love in us.

Our quiet time and worship, is to build us up so that we can give others the love they need to see Jesus. :D

Why does James make taming the tongue and caring for the poor the prime tests of pure religion?

That is one of our true priorty as being a christian, and our walk with Christ.

Why not the quality of our quiet time or worship?

Because having pure (christinity) religion brings quality to our quiet time or worship.

Richard S.

• 3 weeks later...

The tongue being a small member of the body is still the hardest thing to tame. We can curse God and bless God with the same tongue. We know it is hard to control every word that comes out of our mouths and it is hard to care for the poor. That mean self denial and we don't want to do that. Human nature tells us to take care of ourselves and we know the word says to take care of the poor the widows and orphans. When we can do all this we will have pure religion without fault and we will be living in the word of God not in self.

Our quite time and worship time is for us to be built up and for us to get closer to Jesus. We need to do this as much as possible but first we put the word of God into action and help others and do Gods work.