JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Forgetting What Lies Behind

Q1. (3:13) How can the past get in the way of our quest to know Christ, and what do you need to "forget" so that you may focus on Christ today and tomorrow?

Christ calls all believers to run a race, to work out their our own salvation, faith calls out for our obedience in order for us to be made complete in Him; the Cross cries out for a righteous people, a people who will be a light to the world, to a world who are walking in darkness; but In order for us to run the race, we have to forget, we must neglect all those areas in our past, for they are enemies of the cross, they will hold us back from reaching our goal, perfecting in us, that of holiness.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1a)Our past, resentments,failures are a barrier to know Christ, if we are still trapped by them in our mind and heart with feelings of worthlessness & pride with successes. We can daily turn to Him in humility,learn from past bad & good times, confessing our errors, change to be more as God wants each day,accept his salvation afresh,forgiveness, and hope in Christ.

B)My own set of faults,resentments. I can get distracted from moving forward by hurts of the past, need to give past to God,leave them at the cross,and “forget” them. if remember them

C)I need to forgive myself & remind self in Christ I am a new creation each day. :)

• 7 months later...

The past gets in our way of knowing Jesus and we cannot focus on what is ahead of us or even come into relationship with Him, if we keep looking at what occurred behind us – our past. We need to forget “what’s behind” us, let go of any guilty or ill feelings, and look to our relationship with Jesus.

• 1 year later...

Philippians 3:13
Q). How can the past get in the way of our quest to know Christ?
A). Focusing on the past prevents us from facing the present and moving forward toward the blessings Christ has for us.
#
Q). What do you need to "forget" so that you may focus on Christ today and tomorrow?
A). I need to forget about the mistakes I have made, accept God's forgiveness and  reaching forth unto those things which are before me, press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
#
Q). Is there forgiving you need to do so you can grow in Christ?
A). Yes. It's important that I let go of the baggage of the past so I can grow in the grace of Christ. I must be willing to forgive so that I can be set free to live in the present and move forward in my spiritual growth.

• 5 months later...

Question 7.1

The past can get in the way by disruption our focus on the Lord.  One can look to the past and either (a) in glorifying the deeds that one has already done for the Lord, or by (B) focusing on what one has not done for the Lord and blaming oneself, condemning oneself for those deeds not performed.  Paul refuses to do either.  Paul says that he forgets what is behind and struggles for what is ahead.  (Philippians 3:13) Paul just wants to strive onwards getting to know Christ better as he lives his earthly life , preaching in a congregation or lying in prison where he still teaches and preaches.  He writes, that his death will only be his gain  - one can only imagine the astatic reunion between Paul and his Lord and we can only anticipate our union with Christ as he waits for us standing at the right hand of God.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My past regrets, failures, hurts and even successes can cause me to look backwards instead of forwards.  My life then becomes a response to how I have been treated or how I have acted.  Instead, I need to look forward to follow Christ with all my being, to follow His will for my life and to know Him more intimately.  Focus on the spiritual and eternal.

• 1 year later...

(3:13) How can the past get in the way of our quest to know Christ? What do you need to "forget" so that you may focus on Christ today and tomorrow? Is there forgiving you need to do so you can grow in Christ?

The past can distract us from being effective Christians.  Dwelling on the past will keep you from moving forward and getting to know Christ better.  We must lay aside anything that is harmful.   No, I have left the past behind.          

Shalom to the Saints by FAITH in Messiah Yahshua.

GREETINGS,

1. What do you need to forget so that you may focus on Messiah today and tomorrow?

Our past can interfere with us coming to know Messiah because lack of forgiveness that is usually the reason people are always looking back. Whether it be against yourself or someone else. Unforgiveness will hold you back from knowing Messiah. When we hold ourselves or others in bondage, we live our life a curse according to what we won't forgive them for.

Testimony Example:

I had a hate toward my mother for rejecting me and abandoning me for years. Because of my Unforgiveness I lived a life of rejection.

When I would make friends and there would be strife I would be first to cut off the relationship because I was not going to be rejected first.

When I got married and had a disagreement with my husband about something, I would be the first to walk out the door because no one was going to reject me first. But because of my Unforgiveness I set up my own rejection continuously throughout my life until I forgave myself and her.

After I forgave myself and husband I did not live a life of rejection any more. "He who the Son sets free is free indeed."

2. I need to forget the past and all its garbage and leave it there. I had to forgive and love to move on and come to know Messiah.

3. Yes when you learn to forgive and love, that is the two antidotes that will help you come to know Messiah better. This will also free you from sickness and diseases. Because what you hold back in not forgiving yourself and others will eat you from the inside out. It had been proven medically and spiritually.

It happens first in the spiritual be fore it happens in the physical.

May you have a blessed week.

With much love

FAITH

Q1. (3:13) 

How can the past get in the way of our quest to know Christ? 

What do you need to "forget" so that you may focus on Christ today and tomorrow? 

Is there forgiving you need to do so you can grow in Christ?

There are many things of the past that we can dwell on, that may hinder our effort to know Christ better. 

They have the power to lock us into the past. 

We need to forget these things and hand them over to our Heavenly Father in confession and faith, knowing that He has put them away and has forgotten them.

For example, our despair over past sins, which can make us doubt if we will ever be forgiven, or they can give rise to feelings of defeatism. 

We can easily harbour a persistent bitterness about past wrongs against us. Then there is a bereavement that can sometimes make believers live in the past. 

Looking backward we can easily focus on own unfaithfulness, our disobedience, and even our past coldness, deadness, and dullness – the little zeal we had for the Lord.

However, I feel we need to put not only our sins and failures behind us, but also our attainments and successes; for pride has a way of getting in the way forward. 

Paul made a break with everything in his past, both good and bad. 

Religious achievements, virtuous deeds, great successes in ministry, as well as sins, missed opportunities, and disasters must all be forgotten. 

They do not control the present or the future, therefore we need to forget and remain focused on our Lord Jesus Christ. We have so much to look forward to – the crown of victory, our eternity with our Saviour, and the joys of heaven. 

Fortunately, I have done all the forgiving I needed to do, and it is all in the past, and I look forward to a closer relationship with my Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen. 

Looking back to the past not only sometimes is depressing, but it certainly gets our eyes off the goal.

It's not where we've been, but where we are.

Pray God will reveal those areas where we need to give forgiveness or receive forgiveness--really, anything that gets our minds off Christ.

Q1. (3:13) How can the past get in the way of our quest to know Christ? What do you need to "forget" so that you may focus on Christ today and tomorrow? Is there forgiving you need to do so you can grow in Christ?

It can distract us from forging ahead.

We need to forgive and forget our past hurts and also forget our past failures or setbacks.

I personally cannot recall any but if I do, I will forgive and move forward.

Q1. (3:13) How can the past get in the way of our quest to know Christ? What do you need to "forget" so that you may focus on Christ today and tomorrow? Is there forgiving you need to do so you can grow in Christ

It can slow us down from moving forward.

Forget our hurts and past pains. Also need to forget our past failures and disappointments.

Cannot think of any now. But if I remember, I will act appropriately.

The past is not the present. Jesus said "remain in me, and I'll remain in you..." This requires forgetting the past, it is not so easy to live in the present. Let go and let God. I strike out on this more than I get on base, still I notice God loves and forgives, if we are sincere when we go in prayer to Him. Lord please give me grace to trust and follow you more. In Jesus name, amen

The past is not the present. Jesus said "remain in me, and I'll remain in you..." This requires forgetting the past, it is not so easy to live in the present. Let go and let God. I strike out on this more than I get on base, still I notice God loves and forgives, if we are sincere when we go in prayer to Him. Lord please give me grace to trust and follow you more. In Jesus name, amen

The past can get in our way of growth in Christ. Instead we should refuse to remember our past failures and look forward to the future. We must keep our eyes on the goal. We need to forgive ourselves. In Christ we can find grace in order to forgive. I learn to forgive myself and others in order to grow in Christ.

The past can get in our way of growth in Christ. Instead we should refuse to remember our past failures and look forward to the future. We must keep our eyes on the goal. We need to forgive ourselves. In Christ we can find grace in order to forgive. I learn to forgive myself and others in order to grow in Christ.

Q1. (3:13) How can the past get in the way of our quest to know Christ? What do you need to "forget" so that you may focus on Christ today and tomorrow? Is there forgiving you need to do so you can grow in Christ?

The past can get in the way of knowing Christ because if we look back at our lives and remember all our losses and failures we will loss focus of our quest for Christ. We will loss focus of our spiritual values and growth. 

What we need to forget is our losses, mental injuries and failures in our past lives. These keep us from truly following and serving Christ.

There is probably some forgetting in my life that I may have to struggle with. However, because of childhood upbring there was much in my life to forgive, it has at one time made me very judgemental. The Lord seen to it himself that this forgiving and judgemental attitude was made right. This seemed to be a spiritual obstacle in my life I truly did not recognize.       

In my first conversion to the Christian faith, the past life and sins followed me. A simple baptism with the water and profession of the name Jesus Christ do not help me to live a new life.

It is only a true repentance by recognising my past life is sinful, that I had offended God according to His 10 commandments, and I now truly want to be cut off from that sinful life style, then I start to experience the new life and its freedom and joy.

Without abiding to the 10 commandments of God, I cannot look up to the heaven goal and fulfil God’s will for me on earth.  Once cut off from that sinful life style I don’t need to look back again.  The Word of God is the rock on which I build my house, and the 10 commandments are my compass of life.  I just live humbly and have confidence in the promise of salvation of Jesus Christ.

Just like Paul, Jesus Christ has won me, I can never win Him.  I can look up to heaven with the full hope in His promise of salvation, while living on earth and fulfil God’s will.

Once the Word of God is our base of life and His 10 commandments are our guidance, then we do not harbour hatred against anyone in our hearts.  There will have no more forgiving to do either.  One can very well hate an evil religious or political system on earth, just like sins, but that is not the same as hating someone.  One can criticise a religious system as hypocrite like Jesus Christ did, but that does not input sin into himself / herself.

Mat 6:2  Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Mat 6:5  And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Mat 6:6  But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Mat 6:7  But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Mat 6:16  Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Mat 23:13  But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

Mat 23:14  Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.

Mat 23:15  Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.

Mat 23:23  Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Mat 23:24  Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.

Mat 23:25  Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.

Mat 23:26  Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.

Mat 23:27  Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.

Mat 23:28  Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.

Mat 23:29  Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous,

Mat 23:30  And say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.

Mat 24:50  The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of,

Mat 24:51  And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

One can also express his /her anger against other’s wrong doing, but not inputting sin into himself / herself, because there is no hatred in his / her heart.  How did Jesus Christ express His anger against the wrong doing of people in the Jerusalem temple?

Joh 2:14  And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting:

Joh 2:15  And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables;

Joh 2:16  And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house an house of merchandise.

Joh 2:17  And his disciples remembered that it was written, The zeal of thine house hath eaten me up.

This is how Christians can live free of sin.  They think and act according to the impulse of the Spirit of God.  They live by the Word of God, not by the doctrines of men.  They do fear of criticism of the world that they are intolerant to other pagan belief, or wrong doing of men.

In today’s society, it has been preached that Christians must be more tolerant of pagan belief and the new trends of life.  If that is so, then there is no need to preach the Good News of Jesus Christ to the world from the beginning.

Q1. (3:13) How can the past get in the way of our 

quest to know Christ? What do you need to "forget" 

so that you may focus on Christ today and tomorrow? 

Is there forgiving you need to do so you can grow in Christ?

1. If we let our eyes slip to the temporal world, we lose 

focus on the spiritual world and lose our bearings.We 

have to press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus 

took hold of for us.The past can hinder if we look back and 

not look toward God’s calling.

2. Remember to read God’s word,pray, and fast.We have to 

press and be willing to push (push until something happens) 

Obtain and be persistent toward the goal we want to reach. We have

to look ahead and not at our loss or failures.

3. I do not think so, but I pray and purpose in my heart to 

forgive all of those who mistreat me.

When we look at our past our losses, failures, regrets and defeated lives we loose our current focus that is to live a life pleasing God.  Fear that our past may repeat or deception that we may not be completely forgiven by Jesus will make our faith waver and these doubts will stand in the way of our quest to know Christ.

I need to forget my past completely as Jesus has forgotten while he saved me and cleansed me so that I can focus on Christ today and tomorrow.  I don't think that this means our mind is wiped clean of any remembrance of past hurts and failures, but that we choose not to go there any longer. We choose not to remember. We choose instead to look forward.

Thank God for forgiveness! In Christ, we can find forgiveness for our own failings. In Christ we can find the grace to forgive even the deepest hurts.

We need to be diligent to focus on Christ. Like everyone else, many things happen in our lives that we need to forgive and I have been able to forgive. My goal is to be unoffendable, so you forgive as you go along. Not easy at times and it's only with GOd's help that we can forgive.

Q1. (3:13) How can the past get in the way of our quest to know Christ?

Answer: Our past becomes a burden and hindrance to our quest to know Christ.

What do you need to "forget" so that you may focus on Christ today and tomorrow?

Answer: Forget the past failures and shortcomings.

Is there forgiving you need to do so you can grow in Christ?

Answer: Yes.