JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Prayer and Determinism

God made man to be free. God can influence or suggest options for man, but God does not determine man’s decisions. God can arrange for the best possible options to occur for man, given his circumstances, but God does not control people. God gives less grace to those who resist the grace He offers more grace to those who accept.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we feel that our prayers can not change anything, we pray very weak prayers. We only seek God's help as a last resort. We do not firmly believe or have true faith in what we are praying for or really asking for. We sometimes as for impossible things that God can not grant us. God will give us what we really need. He is not a heartless jerk that wants us to suffer for no reason. But at times, I feel that we really need to know what to ask for. We can not make promises that we can not keep. We need to pray with honesty, love and true faith.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

If God has predetermined the happenings in the world and in our lives, then our prayers to God is futile.

The truth is God's word promises "ask it shall be given". "Whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer in my name you will receive"

Ex. "Jonah prayed to the Lord God from the belly of the fish, God answered the prayer"

Church was earnestly praying to God for Peter who was put in prison by Herod. God answered the

Prayers, Peter was brought out of the prison".

Bible is full of examples of people who prayed in faith and received the answers. We need to remember that prayer changes things because prayer releases God's power. God's prevailing power is released in the lives of people who pray. Prayer changes things. Our prayers makes difference.

We understand from the word of God and believe in His promises that He is a prayer answering God.

That confidence makes us to come into His presence boldly to pray and appeal to God with determination.

It is lack of faith to think prayers make no difference to God's response.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Christ has made it possible for us to go directly to God for forgiveness. But confessing our sins to each other still has an important place in the life of the church. (1) If we have sinned against an individual, we must ask him or her to forgive us. (2) If our sin has affected the church, we must confess it publicly. (3) If we need loving support as we struggle with a sin, we should confess that sin to those who are able to provide that support. (4) If we doubt God’s forgiveness, after confessing a sin to him, we may wish to confess that sin to a fellow believer for assurance of God’s pardon. In Christ’s Kingdom, every believer is a priest to other believers

God uses activities of wicked people for his good purposes. God is infinite, and we are finite. No matter how great our intellects, we will never be able to understand him completely. But we can accept by faith that he is all-powerful, all-loving, and perfectly good. We can believe that he is not the cause of evil and we can trust that there are no loose ends in his system of judgment. Evil is a temporary condition in the universe. One day God will destroy it.

• 3 months later...
On 9/5/2005 at 5:18 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. How can a wrong understanding of determinism and predestination keep us from the kind of gutsy prayer that Moses prayed? What do you call a belief that our prayers make no difference to God's response?

A wrong understanding of determinism and predestination keeps us from gutsy prayer because it makes us think that our prayers won't accomplish anything because everything is set in stone. I believe in the immutability of God but I think maybe God has conditions attached to His plans and the outcome depends on our response.  Like when God was going to destroy Nineveh and sent Jonah and the people repented and they were saved. Also, God said, "If My people who are called by My Name will humble themselves and pray, then I will hear from Heaven and heal their land."  This seems to indicate that His healing our land is dependant on our actions.

I think you would call a belief that our prayers make no difference fatalism.

• 3 months later...

How can a wrong understanding of determinism and predestination keep us from the kind of gutsy prayer that Moses prayed?

If we believe that we cannot change God’s mind, what is the purpose of intercession and petition? Wrong understanding of this will result in rote prayers and lack of prayer, other than “if it is Your Will prayers.” We have no true understanding of the meaning behind the parts of the Bible that discuss predestination. It doesn’t mean we can’t change God’s mind.

What do you call a belief that our prayers make no difference to God's response?

I call it a belief that does not take into account all of God’s Word. 

• 5 months later...

Q3a. There are somethings in God grand design that are predestined and determined.  He is reconciling to everything to Him. There is a second coming of Christ. 

But if we believe that God has predestined the world and all of mankind fate already fixed /determined ....like buildings built from stones..God's eternity is just frozen cold in time..then.. God then can't  be a living God is who is Omnipresent in the personal life of His people..who each minute is rejecting the world for the cross...nor can God has and give His people his attributes of grace and mercy his peace and love..redemption and hope...

Q3b.That belief would be an antithesis to Christianity as the dynamic relationship of the Triune with man is a belief anchored in faith , obedience and trust..in the sacrifice on Calvary's Cross.. Man  accesses these spiritual blessings and virtues through prayer. Prayer is the key that opens heaven's vault James 4:6-8-20. The prayers of man is the music through which God responds Proverbs 3 :5-6

• 1 year later...
On 9/5/2005 at 8:18 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. How can a wrong understanding of determinism and predestination keep us from the kind of gutsy prayer that Moses prayed? What do you call a belief that our prayers make no difference to God's response?

Having the wrong the wrong understanding can keep us from praying a prayer like Moses, by not knowing who God is. As Pastor Ralph mentioned, we must know the scripture in order to appeal to God. We must pray His word back to Him. The Bible states that God's word doesn't return to Him void. If we want to move God, we must know His word. 

To believe and think that prayer doesn't make a difference is lack of faith in our Savior. Having that mindset we don't believe that He is all powerful, but yet gentle and compassionate. We also can go as far as saying He doesn't love or value us. I refuse to believe that. I believe that when the Bible says that prayer is powerful and a necessity to a Christian, that tells me I need to know all I know about prayer, so that I can pray like Moses prayed. 

Having the wrong the wrong understanding can keep us from praying a prayer like Moses, by not knowing who God is. As Pastor Ralph mentioned, we must know the scripture in order to appeal to God. We must pray His word back to Him. The Bible states that God's word doesn't return to Him void. If we want to move God, we must know His word. 

To believe and think that prayer doesn't make a difference is lack of faith in our Savior. Having that mindset we don't believe that He is all powerful, but yet gentle and compassionate. We also can go as far as saying He doesn't love or value us. I refuse to believe that. I believe that when the Bible says that prayer is powerful and a necessity to a Christian, that tells me I need to know all I know about prayer, so that I can pray like Moses prayed. 

• 1 year later...
On 9/6/2005 at 10:18 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. By believing that nothing you say or do can change the circumstances because you think God’s not going to listen or care about how you feel about the situation, that He’s going to do what He wants because He’s already determined my fate so I may as well just accept it! And this is so wrong, because God absolutely loves to hear us His children’s voices speaking to Him. Prayer is simply talking to our Abba dearest about any topic, deep concerns or even just to say good morning. O how precious is that!

2. Deterministic - Que sera, sera, what will be will be and there is no changing it. To me this seems like a defeatist attitude before you even started to pray.

If we believe that God has predetermined every action thought and happening, it leaves us with a rather fatalistic approach to faith.  Why bother to know God?  He is not in a dynamic relationship with us in this viewpoint...He does whatever he wants and we are nothing.

In spite of the fact that He DID make man from the dust (nothing?)He pursues relationship with us.  He wants us to want to be in love with Him.  He wants relationship with us at our very best and our very worst and everything in between.  While we were sinners Christ died for us. Rom 5:8  and yet He prepares incredible things for us, What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him, 1 Cor. 2: 9  Further, He charges us with work in Matt. 28:19:  Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them... 

He plans relationship with us and prayer is part of that relationship.

• 1 year later...

if you pray and think that God has the answer already why pray?  I pray and believe it is God's will it will be done i also have faith that God answers prayers. prayer i feel can be a test from God on our faith.  if i have faith like a mustard seed i will move mountains.  Jesus showed us that pray is needed for faith trust hope strength courage also it keeps our heart and mind focusing on the things of God