JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Contending for Righteousness

Q1. What is the basis of Abraham's argument that God should spare Sodom? How does it relate to God's character?

The basis of Abrahams argument was that if there were any righteous that God would spare them, and that He would not punish the righteous along with the wicked.

He knew God was a merciful God.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Q1. What is the basis of Abraham's argument that God should spare Sodom? How does it relate to God's character?

What is the basis of Abraham's argument that God should spare Sodom?

Abraham was convinced that there were righteous people in Sodom and his prayer and intercession was for those people in addition to his nephew Lot and his family. Abraham felt that the righteous people should not be treated the same as the wicked, yet his prayer was that the wicked be spared for the sake of the righteous. Abraham appealed to God's justice.

How does it relate to God's character?

God is a God of justice. He is a God of mercy.

What is the basis of Abraham's argument that God should spare Sodom?

Abraham was convinced that there were righteous people in Sodom and his prayer and intercession was for those people in addition to his nephew Lot and his family. Abraham felt that the righteous people should not be treated the same as the wicked, yet his prayer was that the wicked be spared for the sake of the righteous. Abraham appealed to God's justice.

God is a God of justice. He is a God of mercy.

That the creator and judge of all the earth must do what is right. He is a Holy God and does not evil. His character is one of righteousness and He will spare the evil because of the good. As intercessor for Lot and his family Abraham is interceeding for all of Sodum and Yashua, Jesus, will do what He knows is right and have mercy on the Good.

Abraham arugued that God should spare Sodom on the basis of the righteous people living there. He knew that God is a righteous God and would do what is right. He first asked if only 50 righteous are there would God spare the city. From there he keeps lowerering the number of righteous people knowing God is a just God.

Abraham's request relates directly to God's character as a righteous God who will do what is right. Abraham had a great love for his nephew and God knowing that he served a God of righteousness and justice. Abraham was deeply concerned and kept praying for his nephew Lot. As Christians we need to follow his example in prayer.

Abraham argued that God is a holy and righteous God- the judge of all creation and that He can only act in a way that is aligned with His true nature. Therefore, He should spare Sodom because He is right and just at all times. God never departs from His true nature- He is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow! Abraham had confidence and faith in our holy and righteous God. And prayed persistent prayers!

• 1 month later...

The basis of Abraham's argument is that there are some righteous people that live there and it relates to God's character because God blesses the righteous but will by no means spare the guilty.

Abraham was looking out for his nephew Lot. He didn't want Lot to be destroyed with the wicked people.

God was executing judgement on wicked people-He is just. We get what we ask for when we are not obedient. When we are obedient, then God is just to protect us and deliver us from His judement on the wicked.

• 4 weeks later...

Q1. What is the basis of Abraham's argument that God should spare Sodom?

I believe Abraham was concerned for Lot and his family and felt his duty to protect his nephew. He said "Far be if from You to slay the righteous with the wicked!" He wanted God to spare Sodom based on the righteous who lived there.

Abraham was appealing to God's justice and mercy to spare Sodom...concerned about God's reputation, just as Moses was when God spoke of destroying the Israelites, and he pled for a different outcome. He wanted God to judge "fairly" according to His character, and to spare the righteous from destruction.

The basis of Abraham's argument is that he already knew God's character is one of mercy and justice for righteous requirements of God to be fulfilled. In other words, Abraham implored God to have mercy on the righteous who were in the midst of the wicked...for His name's sake...because God is righteous. God is merciful. God is just. Essentially, it is the same today...we, who are believers, intercede for the unrighteous who know not God, asking Him to display His mercy on them...and receiving His mercy for ourselves. There truly isn't anything new under the sun.

Abraham appeals to God, to save his righteous nephew, Lot, from destruction along with the sinful city of Sodom. Abraham has faith that God is just, and therefore He would not harm any righteous person when he destroys the hopelessly sinful. Abraham knows that God will not destroy the righteous with the wicked "That be far from ye to do".

Abraham was strong enough in his faith-he had already been through the struggle of whose he was and his realization of what that status of being Christ-like meant for him he was able to come before God boldly "preaching" back to him his words-if there is 50 righteous people, 40, 30 20 10, 5, and 1. Sometimes it takes standing before the Lord fearless and humble for it doesn't matter what we look like we have tennacity to ignore the devil. Who are we to stand boldly before God--his child-of course.

This is an evident that God is so humble. Can I just imagine the general overseer of my church visiting me talkless of God. I will make proper use of that opportunity. It is also a reflection of the greatness of God that He can do all things, He can handle any situation. I think it is Emanuel trait of God. God with us. It is an eye opener for me as a child of God that whenever I am in the presence of God, I should boldly attain the throne of God boldly but with humility. God help me. One has to be righteous before one can do what Abraham did. The basis of his argument is that God is just. He is the judge of all the earth, He is righteous and He is a holy God.

R1. Abraham's argument appeals to God's righteousness and justice. Abraham believed that a righteous and just God will not punish the good people no matter how few they were in Sodom because of the sins of most of the population. As shown by the bargaining between an all powerful, almighty God and his humble servant, Yahweh was willing to spare Sodom for a handful of God fearing men.

God's immutable character is love and this will always play a very, very big part in His decisions to punish wrongdoers.

• 3 weeks later...

Abraham walked with God and therefore came to know Him personally, more than a lot of leaders in that time. Abraham also knew that God's character was that of a fair and righteous Judge and that God didn't want to destroy the believers for the sake of the evil doers. Therefore, he appealed to God's mercy and justice. He believed that God would honour his prayers and requests, whereas those who worshipped idols, didn't expect justice from their gods, only sacrifice and one way communication on their side.

• 4 months later...
Q4. On what ground does Abraham so boldly address God? Do you think God desires us to do the same? Why or why not? Why do you think Abraham's intercession pleased God? What will it take for us to please him in our prayers?

Abraham had a wonderful relationship with God and he knew Him intimately, so it wasn't hard for Abraham to tell God what he wanted. He trusted God would grant him an answer to his prayer for Lot. His faith in God was the result of a trusting relationship which caused such boldness to voice his need or grieveance.

God desires for us to do the same as Abraham. It is God's desire for his children to know Him intimately and spending time to fellowship with Him which build a relationship that cause us to come boldly before Him to make our requests known. After all, the veil was torn when Jesus said on the cross, "it is finished." We no longer have to go through a priest to pray for us, instead we can now go boldly before the throne of God as a child would with their earthly father.

Abraham did not beat around the bush trying to find the right word or grease around God. He just ask God what was on his mind.

Praying in faith and in boldness and telling God what's in our heart. Of course He knows everything we hold in our heart and mind but He wants us to tell Him because He's our father.

• 1 month later...

That He cannot destroy the righteous with or alongside the sicked. Abraham's nephew, Lot, was in the city and his family and Abraham felt responsible for them.

God will not tolerate sin. He is a rigteous judge and just.

• 1 month later...

Abraham's argument is based on his relationship with God. In getting to know God he became aware of what he stands for. He had developed a love that contained respect, but also telling God what was on his mind. He knew that God was compassionate, merciful and just. From this he prayed to God and stated that the innocent should not suffer with the guilty. Why punish those that have lived according to your will? At least allow them the opportunity to leave before destruction. You are known as as a just God so you must extend right justice.

• 1 month later...

(A) Abraham argued on the basis that he did not want his family to be destroyed along with the wicked but more than all i think that he was applealing to the

righteousness and justness of Almighty God. He says we should come boldly to His throne.

(B) The Bible says he's a God of Justice and he's also a fair God.

• 1 month later...

God wants to protect all of us from any kind of harm. But this story has a true meaning. We are all suppose to love one another pray for one another and I find this not so in this generation. It is true that we have become unholy, selfish, unGodly, for ourselves. Wow!! what is going on? Well now I know so when God hears our prayers and we pray for other people for the righteous people and for those who are sinning and saved we ask God to touch there hearts. Not just our hearts but everyone for different reasons. Wickedness, sinners don't know. But a lot of them can and want to be saved. God is not in the business to destroy and kill he's in the business to love. I am so grateful that I have found that Love. Even though those who hurt you pursecute you show them love. Give it to God and let God fix it. We can not fix anything without God. I walk on this earth with great sorrow for the sinner and the wicked and now I pray for them. It's only going to get worse and we have to live among it. I like to stay far away from it but what I noticed is that it's all around us. Prayer is the answer for you all of us.

The basis of Abraham's argument is the safety of his family Lot, and and his family ,and for the safety if any other righteous people. ;)

• 2 months later...

Abraham love for his nephew(Lot) was the basis of his argument that God would spare Sodom. Lot was content,a pommienent citzen, living in a sinful city. Competely oblivous to his spirtual condition and his imminent danger. Because Abraham interceded on Lot's behalf, he and his family exit the city before it was destroyed. God knew thier were no righteous people in Sodom and Abraham would be interceding on behalf of his family living there. Intercession relates to God's character because He wants us to intercede on behalfs of others in need.

Patricia