JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Potter and Clay

Pastor Ralph

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is ridiculous for the pot to second-guess the Potter, because the pot has no control over how it was made. The pot cannot go back and remake itself. It does not have the capabilities or knowledge like the Potter.

Christians second guess God during trials, times of doubt, when we feel inadequate, lose confidence, or feel like God has abandoned us.

A better attitude and behavior Christians (the pot), should have before the Creator (Potter), is one of hope, faith, trust in His power and might that God, as Creator knows what is best for us. He is in control, and is working out His plan and purpose in each of our lives.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Isaiah 45:9-12)

Why is it ridiculous for a pot to second-guess the Potter?

How do we Christians do this?

What is a better attitude and behavior before our Creator?

God is the Creator of everything, and we are His creatures. We have no right to doubt or question our Heavenly Father. Our minds are finite against His infinite wisdom. Instead of complaining and challenging God about things we are not happy with, we should fully trust Him; He knows what is best for each one of His children.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Windy

Q1. (Isaiah 45:9-12) Why is it ridiculous for a pot to second-guess the Potter? How do we Christians do this? What is a better attitude and behavior before our Creator?

When we stop to think, how complex we are, and God created us. Why would you question the Creator? We need to be content in where God has placed us. We should learn from our trials. You give your earthly father respect, because he is your father. How much more respect should we give to our Heavenly Father? His has given us a promise Jere 29: 11. For I know the plans I have for you, said the LORD. They are plans for good and not for disaster,to give you a future and a hope.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Isaiah 45:9-12) Why is it ridiculous for a pot to second-guess the Potter? How do we Christians do this? What is a better attitude and behavior before our Creator?

He is our creator, he created us for his purpose,, yet I have found myself asking him what my purpose is? I see now a better question is what does he want me to do to achieve his purpose, not my own. to walk by faith, to trust he has it all worked out. So from this day forward, my only question will be Master, Father, God, Creator, what is your will for me this day? :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

I think the reason it appears to be ridiculous is because, the potter already has a design in mind and knows what he wants to make. He has the skills to shape and make it according to his vision not the vision of the item being made. We as Chrisitans tend to question why we have some of the facial or bodily characteristics or features we have but, in reality scripture tells us that "we are fearfully and wonderfully made." Therefore we shouldn't question how God made us we should be grateful and give thanks.

• 1 month later...

When the potter takes a lump of clay, he usually have something in mind. It may be a useful item like a jug or just something that is beautiful to look at like an ornament. Its his decision and the clay have no say in it. Often we look at ourselves or our lives and are unhappy because we are not as beautiful or successful or useful as someone else and then we complain to God about it instead of just accept who we are. We are fearfully and wonderfully made and instead of comparing ourselves to other people, rather ask God to fulfill His purpose for our lives in and through us.

It is ridiculous for anything created to second guess the Creator! The Potter or Creator is always and forever over and above His creation in every way imaginable. The Creator has complete control over his creation which makes Him sovereign and omnipotent. A creator would not and could not create something higher than himself.

As a young Christian and at times even now, I catch myself disregarding God's way or questioning His method or why something had to happen a certain way. A better way that I am learning is to accept that God knows the way better than I - He knows how to mold me and shape me so that I can be useful for His purpose no matter what the capacity. I have learned that I would rather be a plain and well used vessel than something beautiful but worthless sitting upon a shelf. Allowing myself to be molded is not easy but so much better as I get to know the Potter and understand that He is remaking me with love and purpose.

• 4 weeks later...

It is ridiculous for a pot to second-guess a potter because each individual way of molding or understanding the universal scheme is unique.....Christians do this by doubting their ability to give and create patterns of Love, Compassion and Eternal Wisdom as innate as well as unique...and therefore the Promise has difficulty in completing its task as these doubts remain obstacles to human evolution.....A better attitude and behavior before our Creator is to accept our small but ever relevant importance in manifesting these understandings of God's Being Eternal....

1.a. Because the Potter is the creator of the pot and he knows exactly what he wants to make of the pot and what use he has for the pot. Who are we to tell the Potter how to make the pot. He knows what is in His minds eye and how he wants to form it and what purpose he has for it.

b. Sometimes we are unhappy how he made us and we wish we had someonelse's ministry, looks or personality. He formed us just the way he wanted us and knows exactly what is right for us.

c. We are to know that His ways and plans are perfect. We are to trust in the Lord with all our heart and lean not to our own understanding and in all our ways acknowledge Him and He will direct our path. In everything, give thanks for this is the will of God. We are to spend time in His presence and encourage ourselves in the Lord and hear from Him and when we do this we will find contentment, peace and joy.

• 2 months later...

This is ridiculous because the pot has no idea at all when and why its maker made it It is a raw material turned finished product for a purpose designed by its creator. As Christians we tend to second - guess God as things go wrong around us we ask God why things are the way they are instead of learning from what we see happening. Most times we want God to fix into our plans rather than fixing into His plan for us, forgetting that He is our Creator. Even when things are okay with us, it is not because we are perfect He made them happen. He decide what to do with us, He has a purpose for making us. What we need do is learn to know about our Creator and His purpose for creating us, know what He want from us, submit to Him, say yes to His will at all times so we can fulfill purpose in life. In Him alone we live , move and take our being.

• 1 month later...

Isaiah 45:9-12: "Woe to him who strives with him who formed him, a pot among earthen pots! Does the clay say to him who forms it, 'What are you making?' or 'Your work has no handles'?Woe to him who says to a father, 'What are you begetting?' or to a woman, 'With what are you in labor?'"Thus says the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, and the one who formed him: "Ask me of things to come; will you command me concerning my children and the work of my hands?I made the earth and created man on it; it was my hands that stretched out the heavens, and I commanded all their host."

It's very ridiculous for a pot to second-guess the potter that even God created everybody that's different or ugly, He always say that we're beautiful. We Christians do this because deep down our feelings that God created us that even our personality went wrong, he still loves you more. The better way of attitude and behavior before our Creator is to show kindness and show some respect.

It is ridiculous because it doesn't have a mind of it's own, much less a voice. WE do this by saying: " ugh god how come you made me this way?" A better attitude we should use is a happy one.

Why is it ridiculous for a pot to second-guess the Potter? How do we Christians do this? What is a better attitude and behavior before our Creator?

it is ridiculous for the pot to second guess the potter because pots don't have brains. Christians do this with how we look. think him for everything.

Isa 45:9 "Woe to him who strives with him who formed him, a pot among earthen pots! Does the clay say to him who forms it, 'What are you making?' or 'Your work has no handles'?

Isa 45:10 Woe to him who says to a father, 'What are you begetting?' or to a woman, 'With what are you in labor?'"

Isa 45:11 Thus says the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, and the one who formed him: "Ask me of things to come; will you command me concerning my children and the work of my hands?

Isa 45:12 I made the earth and created man on it; it was my hands that stretched out the heavens, and I commanded all their host.

For the created thing to question the creator of it is silly. The pot has no brain...has no emotions..has no idea of what life is. We as Christians at time feel we know more that our own Creator does. We feel that what we what or feel is the best for us. What we need to do is Worship and Praise and Honour our Creator at all times. We need to thank him for ever situation and the very air we breath. We need to learn from everything that God lets us walk through with faith that the Lord knows what is best for us.

• 1 month later...

In Isaiah 45:9-12, the analogy is made to our being created by the Almighty God with a with a clay pot being fashioned by a potter. The awesome nature of God allowed Him to create the universe in its entirety, including the physical laws under which it operates as well as us. This positions us a being intellectually far inferior to God. We simply have no way of being able to fully understand Him or His decisions. Just as a lump of clay doesn

• 2 months later...

The Potter can do whatever He wants with whatever He makes because evertyhing belongs to Him. Christians attempt to second guess the Potter by doing what we want to do instead of what God wants us to do. Ignoring His Word, not spending time with Him so we can learn how to live a spirit filled life. We go off on our own and question spiritual things that even if the Potter did tell us, we still couldn’t comprehend it in the simplest terms (Job for example). We are temporary and He is eternal, here long before we were. We’re made in His image, not our own. Man can’t make man, only the Creator can make a man. Therefore, we should be humble and appreciative of our Creator; giving Him honor, adoration, and thanks always.

• 4 weeks later...

Second guessing the Potter is rediculous or a waste of energy. Can we create anything or run our lives? I think not without the Potter we wouldn't exist. I think we allow the enemy to trick them taking their minds off the real thing worshiping God

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Because the Potter is the Maker/The Creator of the pot.

We wonder why God is not doing something that we think that we should do.

The better attitude is to wait expectantly on Him and to honor Him in all that we do.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Isaiah 45:9-12) Why is it ridiculous for a pot to second-guess the Potter?

We as human beings have been given intelligence and reasoning ability that animals don't have. We let our intellect go to our heads (pun intended) sometimes and try to reason with God in an attempt to get Him to make us something different to what we are. The old: God give me a million dollars type of thing. God has made us who and what we are. Now some people have been earmarked for special service. If that's you, then great. If you are not destined to become an evangelist, teacher, exceedingly rich, or the president or whatever, don't rail at God about it. We can't all be the leader. We can't all be rich. We can't all be the outstanding one. Bloom where you're planted.

I think everyone wants more out of life than they're getting. It's human nature. Just because we become Christians doesn't mean our basic outlook will change overnight. Sometimes it takes a lifetime to learn to be, as Paul wrote, content in any and all circumstances.

To be at peace with our fellow man and to walk humbly before our God.

• 2 months later...

Q1. (Isaiah 45:9-12) Why is it ridiculous for a pot to second-guess the Potter?

Even if the pot was granted sentience and could question the potter, it has no right to do that. What the potter makes is his business and the pot is just the result.

We do this in so many ways it beggars the imagination. Too often we regard God as a genie who will do for us what we want if we ask it in Jesus' name. We also try to tell God how we want our prayers answered. We complain bitterly to God whenever things don't go our way.

We need to keep in mind that we're here to do God's will and not the other way around.

• 1 year later...

Q1. (Isaiah 45:9-12) Why is it rediculous for the pot to second guess the potter.

Second guessing what should have been or would have been is simply being ungrateful and a waste of time and energy. The potter has much thought and creativity to produce the work of art. He knows how he wants the end product to look like. The pot would not have existed without the handiwork of the potter.

How do we Christians do this? We christians are never content. We allow evil to take over our lives causing us to express ingratitude.We are never happy with how we are and wish to be like someone else.

What is a better attitude and behaviour before our God? To humble ourselves and praise God for our mercies and blessings.Thanking him for the way we are created.

• 1 year later...

The Names of God. Lesson 4

Q1 (Isaiah 45:9-12) Why is it ridiculous for a pot to second-guess the Potter?

The pot was fashioned at the whim and creativity of the Potter for a specific purpose and function. The Pot is no more than a shaped lump of clay and is clueless as to its' purpose. It's as foolish as reading horoscopes to find out who we are or what we're to do, ignoring the only One Who does know.

We get high minded and proud, unhappy about how we look, or what talents we have been given as we compare ourselves with other "pots" that we deem more attractive, or more special than we seem. We may be angry at our Potter, for making what we think is an inferior vessel. We may question and ask Why about anything we don't like or understand. Many try to remake themselves into a different image...we see that in magazines and papers everyday, where someone we used to recognize has changed genders, or had their face reworked so they are no longer the beauty that God had in mind. We may wear colored contact lenses because we don't like the color of our eyes. We change our hair color because ours might be deemed "mousy" by the fashion magazines, or not up to the current trend. We may put on airs to trick people into not seeing how ordinary we think we are. We may ignore what we sense the Potter has in mind, and turn away to do our own thing, and delay the plan He has for our lives.

TRUST is what comes to mind. Recognize that He is the Creator with magnificent intelligence, and REST in what He sees as perfection in each of us. He knit us together in our Mothers womb, and "didn't drop any stitches", as someone has said. It's wise to seek and ask what He has planned and dreamed and envisioned for each of us and to surrender and remain pliable in His Hands as He continues to mold and shape us. His eyes saw our unformed substance and wrote all the days of each life in His book BEFORE He created us....our role is to fulfill His purpose by holding His hand as we walk with Him each day wherever He leads.