JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. The Rights of the Maker

Pastor Ralph

God, our creator, has the supreme and ultimate authority over all His creation. In a sense, He has the copyright to each of us. We are all His original ideas. I like to write songs, poems, and occosionally short stories, plays, etc. I also like to draw/paint. When I think about some of the things I've created, I know that after I've worked on them and put alot of thought/effort into them, it gives me joy to see (or hear) what I've made. I'm sure this is something like how God must feel about each of us.

But consider this, God made us and loved us so much, that He wanted us to experience love as well, so He gave us the freedom to choose, which made this possible. Satan took advantage of this, and stole God's creation. (Keep in mind that God was not helpless to take back His creation, but loved us so much that He refused to take back the freedom of choice that makes love so much more beautiful.) Then The Creator gave His life as an act of love and justice, to demonstrate His great longing for His lost creation, and to call us back to him self.

1Co 6:20 for you are bought with a price. Therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's.

Wow. There have been things I have created and been very pleased with, but to the extent of dying to regain a stolen creation? This is such an amazingly strong love. Completely overwhelming when you put it this way. When we stop and really think about how valuable we are to our Creator, it should be a great encouragement to us, as well as instill in us a great sense of humilty and responsibility. Also, when we realize our value, it should give us an undebateable, undeniable reason to entrust ourself to our Creator's care and guidance, and therefore be able to receive the full measure of His love for us, that we can not comprehend if we remain stolen works of art. Our Creator is always adding to His creations, and He cannot add to us if we are not in His possesion.

Mat 6:26,33,34 Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?...But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

Php 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. What inherent rights does a Potter, Creator, or Maker have over what he has created? How should that effect our lives, our self-image, our sense of purpose?

a)

- The potter, Creator, or Maker can make what he wants to make.

- He can make what he makes, how he wants to make it.

- He can do what he wants with what he has made, even to the point of breaking or destroying it again.

B)

Knowing the answers of (a), this should humble me, and it does.

The above tells me that God can really do whatever He wants to do with me. And I do not have a say in it. I have no choice, but to trust God.

The above also tells methat God knows where and how I function best. He has made me in a certain way. And He has made me who He wants me to be.

I guess this should cause me to maybe grumble and complain less to God. Accept who I am and why I was made the way I was made.

But there is more, :). God has not only (just) made me. He also loves me and wants the best for me. And because He is my Maker, He knows what is best for me. This makes accepting trusting God and accepting who I am and why I was made so much easier. Going the way of accepting this, makes that I will live the best life I could ever imagine to live, :).

Q2. What inherent rights does a Potter, Creator, or Maker have over what he has created? How should that effect our lives, our self-image, our sense of purpose?

He has complete control. He can do what He wants.

We should let him do what He wants with us. Everything He makes he does good. He takes care of what He makes. We need to be proud what He does with us, knowing that we were dust before He did anything with us. We need to keep in mind that if we follow the Creator

• 2 weeks later...
Q2. What inherent rights does a Potter, Creator, or Maker have over what he has created? How should that affect our lives, our self-image, our sense of purpose?

The Creator has every right to shape, form, and fashion his creation as He sees fit. However, our Creator has given us the freedom to choose whether or not we will accept His loving guidance and leading, or whether we will choose our own way and disregard His vision for our life.

Knowing that we have been created for a purpose should give our lives meaning. We should know that our Creator has something very specific in mind for us if we will obey Him and trust Him to guide us. Our lives should reflect that knowledge as we try to be obedient and understand that by following the Creator's plan for our life, we will find true contentment and happiness.

He owns the creation. without his design it would not even be made. The creator made us for a purpose and everyday we should strive to walk in the purpose he has designed each of us for.

• 1 month later...

Inherent rights include:

1. total ownership of the objected created

2. maintaining the proper condition of the object

3. designating the intended use of the object

4. decorating the object as He desires

5. making repairs and putting through the fire again, if necessary, to strengthen the piece.

6. the Creator embedding parts of his traits, styles, personality, etc. in the object. In other words, the object will reflect its creator in the way it is made.

As a person made directly by the Creator, I am an instrument of His Grace. Fashioned by His hands, He has made be holy, and my life must reflect that state. A Potter, Creator, or Maker, utilizes His creation in the purpose and work for which it was made. Likewise, my Lord has made ME and designated me to do His will and the work He intended for me!! Each person or "pot" is different from the other. There should be no comparison.

In addition, the Maker's image is stamped throughout my very being, so my self-image should be positive and strong! I can't count the times I've had a poor self-image of myself. Why? As I write, I'm becoming aware of the self-image I must have! A daughter of God! A princess!! A priestess!

• 4 months later...

The Creator has the right to set the standards over His creation. If we are interested in having a relationship with our Creator then we will find out His standards and procedures for doing so and then implement them into our lives.

• 1 month later...

He has the right to make His creation into whatever He wants it to be, whether chamber pot or flower vase. He has the right to break it down and start over. He has the right to put it through fire to set the shape or leave it on the wheel and keep refining it that way. I think that Jer. 29:11 tells us how we should be affected by all of this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It is the right of the Maker/Creator not to be questioned over what He has decided to create. We need to be agreeing with all that He has created on us and have reverence to Him irrespective of our situations.

• 4 weeks later...

If I were an artist, I would have unlimited rights as far as my art is concerned. First, I have royalty rights, which means that my work belongs to me and no one else can use my work for their own purposes without my consent.

Second, I determine the value of my work. I could sell my work to the highest bidder or set a price on it myself and charge the price I want for it. Finally, the art would be a reflection of me. Great artists are identified by their masterpieces. It's like a reading passage I read in my class called, "What Makes a Rembrandt a Rembrandt?" The gist of that is that you can rec oignize an artist's work by the lines, colors, styles, and nuances he or she uses.

In drawing the analogy to God, He is our Maker, and therefore we belong to Him. He also gives us our value and worth. Finally, since we are made in His image, we reflect what God is like. WE can reflectt His might, His goodness, His love, etc.

• 1 month later...

Q2. What inherent rights does a Potter, Creator, or Maker have over what he has created?

As I think of my Creator, I have to go back to the beginning, God created Adam, mankind, in His image.

God gave to mankind a "choice,"

choose today whom you will serve.

Adam chose not to serve God and allowed sin to come to mankind, so mankind was no longer created

in the image of God, but is now created in the image of man, born in sin.

But because of the mercy of the Potter and His love for His creation, mankind;

He sent His son to the world, to reconcile us to Him.

We who are in Chirst are now able to grow into the image of God Almighty, that gives to us a great

purpose for living, the reason being, so the world would know there is One God, who sits on the

throne, a God that the world should fear, fear Him by loving Him.

Israel was created by the Almighty God, a people unto His own, His first born, with the purpose that the

world would know, there is but One God, God Almighty.

How should that effect our lives, our self-image, our sense of purpose?

Jesus said it well in (Mar 12:28 ) A teacher of the Law was there who heard the discussion.

He saw that Jesus had given the Sadducees a good answer, so he came to him with a question:

"Which commandment is the most important of all?"

Mar 12:29 Jesus replied, "The most important one is this: 'Listen, Israel! The Lord our God is the only Lord.

Mar 12:30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind,

and with all your strength.

Mar 12:31 The second most important commandment is this: 'Love your neighbor as you love yourself.' There is no other commandment more important than these two."

This isn't just for Israel, it is for all of God's family. And who are God's family? They are are those who hear the word of God and do them, (Luke 8:21) that should be our purpose!

Do them on the foundation of our love, obedience, thankfullness to God our creator; Why? because He sent His Son,

who made it possible for us to do so, to serve God with praise in our mouth, There is no God like our God. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

The creation will never be greater or smarter than the Creator, He will always be our ruler because He is our Maker. This should effect our lives in a sense that we realize how much God loves us, that He wants us to be in His image, to realize that He wants the best for us and He knows what is best for us in our lives. We should be willing to let God control and handle everything in our lives so that we willl be like Him. To realize that He has given us a purpose in life, to love and praise and worship Him for who He is.

The potter can do as he desires with the pottery. He may cut off some excess, or sand some rough edges. He may paint it or write on it. Most likely his signature will be on the pottery.

Our maker often desires to makes some changes in us. His changes are all for the better, even though they may hurt a little as He is sanding. What makes it all worthwhile is the beauty of the finished product with HIS signature on our lives.

Reva

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. What inherent rights does a Potter, Creator, or Maker have over what he has created?

He has total ownership and rights over His creation.

It certainly puts everything in perspective! My life is His to do with as He wishes. My self-image is shaped and has great value because I am His creation and child. My sense of purpose is one of desiring to follow Him to fulfill the destiny He has planned for me.

As I was typing my answer, I felt a great relief....which indicates I've been feeling responsible on some level for those things...Whew....He's in charge, I'm off duty....can just relax and be a pliable, available lump of clay!

• 2 weeks later...

A Potter, etc., has every right over what he has made because he made it. Therefore, my life should be one of dedication to Him in every way. Even when times are troubled, He, my Potter, is still in charge and things are in his "permissive will". So, I trust Him in those times also....always!! I have found that some people question God as to "why" or "why not". They don't have faith in Him for all things.

My self-image is fairly strong because I know Whose I am (truly).

My sense of purpose is strong because I believe Eph 2:8-10. Verse 10 really showed me how God has a purpose for me.

The potter can make; destroy and recreate or reform at His discretionany time any way he so desires.

this effects my life by reminding me that I was created by all mighty GOD! He designed me with purpose and destiny according to His word. My self image is only as good as my knowledge of who I am in Christ Jesus and as I line up with scripture.

my sense of purpose is also defined in GOD's word. The more I study and ask GOD to open my eyes so I can see myself with His eyes the more self esteme obtain and purpose is revealed.

The great news is that as The potter GOd is when I screw up my life and the plans He has for me then He is more than capable to reform me where I am when I remember to call upon, and follow Him.

• 4 months later...

What inherent rights does a Potter, Creator, or Maker have over what he has created?

He has the right to do with His creation anything He wants - anything.

Perhaps I do not understand, but to be honest, it makes me feel a little sad. My Creator gets to choose whatever He decides for me, even if His purpose for me is of little importance in the Kingdom. It also makes me question if God really does create people meant for destruction to fulfill His will. It fits with being Creator - He really can do anything He wants, but it rubs against my understanding of God as being a God of love. It scares me a little bit.

• 3 weeks later...

The inherent rights are those of ownership. God created us for Himself, He didn't have to but He wanted to. Because He is holy and we are not, He has every right to mould, fashion and shape us into His image. We should be willing and obedient to our Maker because we will understand the reason for His acts of moulding us. We should appreciate the love and care and tenderness that goes into God's work to shape us for future glory and get us out of the evil ways we walk in. We should value His discipline because that comes into the remoulding of our characters as well. We should be happy that we are so loved and cared for. God continually leads us along the path He has chosen for us and we should be excited to be doing His will even as He continues to remakes us

• 7 months later...

What inherent rights does a Potter, Creator, or Maker have over what he has created? How should that effect our lives, our self-image, our sense of purpose?

In the United States, creations are copyrighted meaning no one else can take the credit for the creation or use it to their advantage. The maker has sole rights to change it in any way and those who attempt to make exact copies can be fined, arrested, or imprisoned. The first thing that jumped to mind on this topic were copywrited ideas like books or songs. People take great pains in bringing these things to life. When you talk to writers, they often speak of their work as their baby. I imagine that they want to make every work as perfect as they possibly can, their best ever yet. They sit for hours and hours, carefully linking words together to evoke tender feelings or intelligent ideas. If we think of ourselves like that work; God spent precious thought on how we would be formed, each of us. And then the effort to make Himself so available to us, how can we say that what He's done just isn't good enough? That if only our circumstances were different, then we could be happy and grateful, when He has already provided all that's necessary for our life. What plans God has for us!! What could be a more glorious way of living than to understand that every single day, we have the opportunity to place our lives in the hands of the One whose motives are pure, loving, and unselfish. His only desire is for our souls to experience more and more communion with Him. How can we not praise Him?!?

• 1 month later...

A potter has the right to make the pot like he wants it to be and after that, to do with it as he likes.

The Great Potter has given his 'pots' (we) a free will.

Even though, He gave us a manual.

If we follow the manual, everything is okay.

If we don't follow the manual, we end up broken.

• 1 month later...

The potter has the right to place what he has created where he wants and to give or use it for any purpose. He can place it in a prominent place or a more hidden place. Generally the potter has a sort of pride, attachment, care for, or connection to what he has made. It is like a footprint- an imprinting of himself. That makes me want to maintain that connection and attachment to God as my Maker, to do the best I can in what I do. It makes me want to have a sense of peace about where God has placed me- geographically, work-wise, family-wise, position-wise, etc.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Potter, Creator, or Maker has every right to power or rights over what he created, because he brought it into existence. For example, if you bought or built a house then you have every right to make it to your specifications or designs. This is your house, and you have every right to do what you want to do with it.

Knowing that God has made me according to His specifications and design, and that He took the time to fashion and form me, helps me to understand how much He loves and cares for me.

• 1 month later...

Q2.

What inherent rights does a Potter, Creator, or Maker have over what he has created?

In this case, all the Creator makes He owns. In other words we belong to Him. What a comforting thought He owns us; a loving and caring God. The reality of this should make us want to serve and honour Him more and more.