JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Prophetic Insight

Through out the Scriptures (OT) the promise was of a messiah. Also, the sacrificies that the Hebrews were required to do in order to receive atonement for their sins were symbolic of the final atonement that the Messiah would do for once for all. We now, looking back can see and know that when John said Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world, that he was talking about the Messiah who would be put to death and that death would be the atonement for the sins of man. How did he know? I know that wasn't the question, but he grew up with Jesus, or at least visited, and, he studied the scriptures, and most impotantly, he was led by the Holy Spirit.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

The answer to question one is, the Israelites were instructed to offer a lamb without blemish for their sin offering. All of those offerings were looking toward Cavalry where the Lamb of GOD would die in our place. Revelation 13:8 tells us that Christ was the Lamb that was slain before the foundation of the earth.

In Genesis 22:8 Abraham answered, "GOD Himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering" NIV. And He did provide the only One Who could be the offering for our sin, once for all. Praise His holy Name!

• 3 weeks later...

How do you know that John the Baptist's statement about the Lamb of God refers to sacrifice?

John the Baptist was a prophet. He lived an ascetic life and God could speak to him. As a prophet God had told him that Jesus was the only one God had chosen as a sacrifice.

B) Christ died once and for all. His sacrifice was enough and it indcluded everyone.

John pointed to Jesus and said"Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world."(John 1:29) In this verse John acknowledges Jesus as the ultimate sacrifice for the sins of all people.

In the Old Testament the priest laid his hands on a lamb brought by the people and symbolicly transfered the sins of the people of Israel on to this lamb. which was then set free in the wilderness. However, this ritual had to be done repeatedly. But Jesus paid the price once and for all when He took our sins upon Himself to Calvary. He has paid for our sins and this is a one time sacrifice.

:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I know that John the Baptist's statement about the Lamb of God refers to sacrfice by the knowledge that lambs were commonly used for sacrifices all throughout the Old Testament. The comprehensiveness of "sins of the world" was so radical a concept in that one lamb was for one person's sin, so one man for the whole world from there to eternity was (and still is) mind boggling.

• 1 month later...

The practice of atonement was well understood in the Jewish culture and the use animal sacrifices was part of their custom. From that point of view, it is reasonable to think that the statement John made about the Lamb of God refers to sacrifice. However, this was rather radical because this sacrifice was to atone for the whole world.

Hi everyone,

Newbie here. Nice to study with all of you, so hang with me here, as I learn this forum way of conversation.

How do you know that John the Baptist's statement about the Lamb of God refers to sacrifice?

I know that because Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior and He died on the cross for ME, You and Everyone. He sacrificed Himself for Us so that we may live in Him and Him in us.

In Christ,

twotots

• 1 month later...

when John said "Behold the lamb of God who taketh away the sin of the world" his reference to redemption was made. That redemption could only come in one way, "without the shedding of blood there is no remission for sin", thus the need for a sacrifice. The sacrifice typified was offered daily, continually in the old, but Christ having suffered once has made an atonement for sin, yet continually in the lifes of men and woman, boys and girls, that are lost and come to accept him as their Lord and Saviour, each and every day. Many christians suffer , and ask why is this happening to me! Know that Christ saved the soul and not the body, the flesh lusteth against the spirir and the spirit against the flesh so that you cannot do the things that ye would. Paul said in Romans 7 for the good that i would i do not, but the evil which i would not, that i do, it is no more i that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. Oh wretced man that i am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? there was a custom, that when a man murdered another, the end of a rope was tied around his waist, and the other around the man he had murdered, and everywhere he went he dragged the body with him, a constant reminder of what he had done, and also to those around him that saw him. To us as christians today, the bible says, behold old things are passed away, behold, all things have become new, but many are still dragging the old man in their lives, not wanting to let go of that which held them bound, destroying their testimony before a lost and a dying world. Who shall deliver me from the body of this death? Only Christ can, Ye did run well, who did hinder you that you should not obey the truth!!! Let us follow the spirit and we would not fulfill the **** of the flesh, and bring his Loving sacrifice to an open shame, seeing we crucfy to ouselves the Son of God afresh. Behold, the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world. Let us therefor fear, lest a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should come short of it. This is my concivtion to myself with no intention of harm to another, but a reminder for me to remember daily, what the Saviour has done for me....

• 2 weeks later...

John the Baptist stated that the Lamb of God takes away the sin of the world. Lambs were always the sacrifice for sin (even though inadequate to remove sin!) "The sins of the world" was a radical idea because prior to this, the ony thought was to remove the sins of the Jews. The world was a big place!

• 1 month later...

How do you know that John the Baptist's statement about the Lamb of God refers to sacrifice? (John 1:29). How was the comprehensiveness of "sins of the world" so radical a concept?

Jesus comes to the world, from the high to become like us. Just to bear our sins. you know, just for us, not only the people Father has chosen, for all of us. That's why we are saved.

In His sacrifice, only Lamb of God, Jesus is referred to. nobody else.

Thanks The Lord! Thanks for His love!

"How do you know that John the Baptist's statement about the Lamb of God refers to sacrifice?"

John the Baptist always preached and called people to repentence for the remission of their sins. In this verse, John calls attention to Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God, who would take away the sins of the world through his death and the shedding of his blood. John knew that this was Jesus' undertaking, to put away our sin by sacrificing himself.

• 2 months later...

I believe that John the baptist was refering to the sacrifice because it was a jewish tradition to sacrifice a lamb for the coverage of sin, and In This passage He was saying, "Look, the lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world".

The concept was radical because now it was saying that He was the sacrifice for the whole world, not only the jewish people.

It really touched my heart the fact that God the father was himself offering the sacrifice (giving a solution) to help solve this terrible problem in humantiy (sin). It was not the man who invented the concept of doing it right, but God himself because He was looking to end the abyssm of separation between Holiness and sinfulness.

He is a problem solver, not a problem seeker!!!

Thank you Lord for your merciful Love.

:D

• 1 month later...

I apologize for being so late with this post.....but I look forward to catching up and to reading and pondering others' responses.

Q1. How do you know that John the Baptist's statement about the Lamb of God refers to sacrifice? (John 1:29). How was the comprehensiveness of "sins of the world" so radical a concept?

John had already received revelation from God about what Jesus would come to do - take away the sin of the world. He knew that he would be giving his life for all. He wouldn't have been able to say this without hearing from the Lord...that's why John preached with such passion that the people repent so their hears would be prepared for the Lamb. So - when he saw Jesus he was confirming aloud what he already knew. It also seems that anytime an animal was mentioned in relationship to God meant that there was a sacrifice involved.

The comprehensiveness of 'sins of the world' is so radical because our sins are great. The ultimate sin is rebellion against God....that's where all sin started.....so it lets us know that the Lamb who God would give would eradicate the very nature of sin - for once - for all.

• 2 months later...

Hi

Q1: How do you know that John the Baptist's statement about the Lamb of God refers to sacrifice? (John 1:29)

In the Old Testament, the people made sacrifices to God for forgiveness of their sins. I think the lamb was the common animal

sacrifice.

Just my thoughts.

Blessings and peace,

marie

When we understand the the background of the Jewish people, that of slaughteringa a lamb for the atonement of sin it is easy to understand. They had to present a lamb without blemish and lay hands on it and kill it for the cleansing of their sins. When we understand this fact we understand that Lamb of God refers to sacrifice.

• 3 weeks later...

Jesus was God's son. He was sent to sacrifice himself for us and our sins. At the time John the Baptist was baptising the believers, but he also asked Jesus, the Great One, to baptize him. He was the healer, to those who believed.

There were so many who didn't believe Jesus was who he said he was until they witnessed the unordinary and special things he was able to do. To a country of Jews, who did not believe that he was capable of the things he was preaching to them, who thought he was a fake, it was radical of Jesus to continue to try to get people to believe he was who he said he was. The people weren't believing him, they were shunning him even more.

• 1 month later...

JOHN'S STATEMENT REFERRED TO A SACRIFICE BECAUSE SINS WERE ATONED FOR IN THE OLD TESTAMENT BY A LAMB WITHOUT BLEMISH.I THINK JOHN WAS SAYING HERE COMES THE ULTIMATE LAMB FROM GOD, WHO WAS GOING TO REPLACE THE ANIMAL LAMB FOR YOUR SINS. A HUMAN LAMB IS GOING TO SACRICE HIMSELF FOR YOUR SINS ONCE AND FOR ALL.ALSO, HIS STATEMENT REFERS TO SACRIFICE BECAUSE OF THE WORD- SIN.BACK THEN, SIN AND SACRIFICE SEEMED TO GO TOGETHER.

I THINK IT WAS DIFFICULT FOR THE PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT OF ONE PERSON DYING FOR ALL.I DONT THINK THEY HAD ANY IDEA WHAT THE SINS OF THE WORLD ENTAILED.I DONT THINK THEY TRULY UNDERSTOOD JESUS CAME TO DO AWAY WITH SIN ONCE AND FOR ALL....GOD BLESS.

• 2 months later...

Q1. How do you know that John the Baptist's statement about the Lamb of God refers to sacrifice? (John 1:29). How was the comprehensiveness of "sins of the world" so radical a concept?

We know it referred to sacrifice because the lamb was commonly used in sacrifice by the Jewish people. It was radical because it encompassed the whole of mankind and not just the Jewish people.

• 2 weeks later...
Q1. How do you know that John the Baptist's statement about the Lamb of God refers to sacrifice? (John 1:29). How was the comprehensiveness of "sins of the world" so radical a concept? Exposition

We know that the statement "Lamb of God" refers to sacrifice because john also said that the lamb of God takes away the sins of the world and the only thing that can remove sin is the shedding of blood.

It is a radical concept It was done once and for all because Jesus was the pefect sacrifice and this was unheard of.

i think... XD

The comprehensiveness of sin would be bordering on the outrageous to the hebrew people...they had been raised on the concept of being a seperated people. They were to be different and distinct as the chosen people, unique among the peoples of the world. Certainly not coming before God alongside of their neighboring nations!

They would have also recognized that atoning for sin was an "ongoing" problem...meaning that they had to come before the Lord with sacrifices over and over and over again because sin was always there. The idea that One could die for the sins of the whole world, and that the blood of that One would be ENOUGH and acceptable for all of time and that all who accepted this Perfect One as their substitute could be free...Yes, indeed, it is radical. I wish I could wrap my brain around it.

1 / How do you know that John the Baptist's statment about the Lamb of God refers to sacrifice? ( John 1:29)

Jesus is God's Son he was sent as a sacrifice for our sins and the sins of the world, also John the Baptist's statment in ( John 1:29) said ( LOOK THE LAMB OF GOD,WHO TAKES AWAY THE SIN'S OF THE WORLD!) ( The Word of God is Truth. )

Q1. How do you know that John the Baptist's statement about the Lamb of God refers to sacrifice? (John 1:29). How was the comprehensiveness of "sins of the world" so radical a concept? Exposition

John saw Jesus coming to him, and pointed him out as the lamb of God. The paschal lamb, in the shedding and the sprinkling of its blood, the roasting and eating of its flesh, and all the other ordinance, represented the salvation of sinners by faith in Christ. And the lambs sacrificed every morning and evening, can only refer to Christ slain as a sacrifice to redeem us to God by his blood.( WHAT SUCH LOVE GOD HAS FOR US.) :wub: