JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Prophetic Insight

On 2/9/2003 at 3:20 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. How do you know that John the Baptist's statement about the Lamb of God refers to sacrifice? (John 1:29). How was the comprehensiveness of "sins of the world" so radical a concept?

Because lambs were sacrificed by people to God for different things.  Lambs are gentle animals and are led by a shepherd.  Therefore John called Jesus Christ the Lamb of God, since He was going to go gently instead of making war which He certainly could, but He said I’m not of this world therefore my servants will not fight.  Because it is so vast that He takes away all of the sin of the world.  Man has sinned since the beginning of creation and Jesus Christ took away all of that sin by dying on the cross.

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings, 

John the Baptist knew who Jesus was.  In  previous verses he was asked by priests and Levites if he was the Christ, or was he Elijah or was he a prophet.  He answered no. John references Isaiah, " I am the voice of one calling in the desert, Make straight the way of the Lord"  John further states that he baptizes with water, but Jesus would baptize with the Holy Spirit.  The people were not ready for what John was preparing them for.  John felt unworthy to even baptize Jesus.  What I find interesting is priest knew the prophecy of the coming of Lord, but still played games with Jesus and John.  If they knew of the teachings of Elijah the prophet, were they afraid to admit this prophecy was true.  Pat

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
On 2/10/2003 at 12:20 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. How do you know that John the Baptist's statement about the Lamb of God refers to sacrifice? (John 1:29). How was the comprehensiveness of "sins of the world" so radical a concept?

as has been stated in the text, the Jews used lambs for sacrifices to God to take away their sins so that they could be in right standing with God. But to me "Lamb" seems to also convey the idea of meekness, unassuming behaviour, innocence since these creatures tend to exhibit these traits.

the Jews might have believed that the sacrificial arrangements given by God were unique to them. Now John was saying that the gentiles were being invited to be part of the sacrificial system which Jesus was heralding. How could this be?11

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q1. Prophetic Insight
  • 4 months later...

The Jews used animals for sacirfices to appease the anger of the gods. “To be called a Lamb of God means that God gave Jesus to be killed like a lamb for our sins so we could live forever.” The majority of Old Testament passages that mention “lamb” refer to a sacrifice. 
Jesus died for us and took our sins. One sacrifice for all. Everyone must repent for their sins.

• 4 weeks later...