JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Animal Sacrifice

Q3. Why is animal sacrifice repulsive to modern people? How much of this has to do with a city vs. a farming way of life?

Because we have been alienated from the relaities of slaughter.

We buy meat in a supermarket or butchery already "wrapped". We don't have anything to do with the actual killing, or draining of the blood.

;);)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel that a lot of people today think that any kind of ritual that involes blood is linked to satanic activities. Also, I thing people are repulsed by the killing of a living creature.

People in farming industry raise animals for the sole purpose of slaughtering them for means of a food supply. They were most likly raised in that enviroment and there for it is common place for them. Folks in the city are not subjected to having to see, hear or think about the fact.

May God Bless You All!!

Beverly

We are quite distanced from all the slaughtering that is needed to place meat on our tables, and yes, this is the result of people being out of touch with the farming way of life. Most of us find the thought of blood repulsive. I think that since we don't see any slaughtering, we don't really internalise what an animal sacrifice is.

I have been mulling over the "Lamb"- though, I've read it several hundred times, and have even taught that Jesus was the sacrificial Lamb, but now, as I REALLY pondered, I felt my heart breaking for the innocent lamb that had to be made sin, for sinful man. I am fallen, and I feel sorry for a lamb which had to die for no fault - what about God the Father, whose very essence is love - He made His beloved Son a Lamb for my sake.

As I look at just this one verse, all I can see is God's deep passion for humans, His unbelievable love, the immense price He paid to give me life.

Why is animal sacrifice repulsive to modern people? How much of this has to do with a city vs. a farming way of life?

It is repulsive because most modern people do not see the slaughter of animals. There food is prepackaged and prepared so they think of slaughtered animals as a steak or hamburger or pork chop. Might be interesting to ask how repulsive this is to a butcher. :)

I would say this compares greatly with city vs. farm life. Most who are raised on a farm or work the farm see animals slaughtered. City people do not.

• 2 weeks later...

3. Why is animal sacrifice repulsive to modern people? How much of this has to do with a city vs. a farming way of life? I can only guess that it is because most modern people view it as an old superstitious, and barbaric way to appease some angry god. I know that most people today have never even seen meat being dressed out from a dead animal, all they see is the clean, end result at the meat section of their grocery stores. I

• 4 months later...

Animal sacrifice is repulsive to modern society because it is something that is hidden from us. There are many people think it is barbaric and there is no use for it in our society. We sacrifice animals every day, but not God. Us city folk really don't take too much time to think about what is involved in the killing of the meat that we eat. I personall don't want to know how they kill the animals that I eat or I may not eat it. In generall I think us city folk avoid thinking about animals being killed for our benefit. That way we don't have to feel bad.

• 5 weeks later...

Q3. Why is animal sacrifice repulsive to modern people? How much of this has to do with a city vs. a farming way of life?

Because they dont have to even prepare their own meat, some have no idea how their food gets to the store. City its more because on the farm you know where your animals are going and whats going to happen when they are sold.

Alicia

Thinking for myself and not other people, for I can not honestly tell you what other people think about animal sacrafice, because I have never asked anyone that question.

I never thought about sacraficing an animal for forgiveness of my sins or anything else for that matter, and killing animals for food does not bother me for God gave us permission to do that. Killing an animal for sacrafice is rediculous being I know the truth in that this is why Jesus laid his life down and spilled His blood out; putting an end to animal sacrafice.

Your exposition sounds like a very good explanation. I don't know what else could be said. Is there some deeper truth that I should be investigating within myself, because I'm not getting it if there is. I apologize that I am unable to answer these questions ( Q3. Why is animal sacrifice repulsive to modern people? How much of this has to do with a city vs. a farming way of life?)

• 2 months later...

Taking of any life is a hard idea for me to swallow. I am an RN who deals with illness and death daily. I know that any life is a gift and when it is taken away prematurely it is very sad to me. If I were exposed to this by living on a farm or being raised by a butcher...whatever the case may be, that exposure would certainly change my view.

Why is animal sacrifice repulsive to modern people?

I have never had to live in the country where animals were fattened up to be killed. (ex. pig, turkey, chicken, cow) I feel that the Israelites had to sacrifice animals because God said to. If Jesus had not been born, or died on the cross; I believe that in today's society we would be sacrificing animals for our sin offerings as well.

How much of this has to do with a city vs. a farming way of life?

City life deals with grocery stores, farming life is in the country, they may have a grocery store but there may not be meats. City people have to depend on the farmers for our meats and fruits.

The idea of animal sacrifice being repulsive to modern man/people, has to do with the way in which a society is cultured. I believe that it is against man's basic nature to kill when not defending his/her own life. Even in the military it takes some training and "motivation" to et a person to become a fighting machine. That aside, the killing of animal in a ritualistic manner is viewed as unatural, today we think of it as macabre, it is used by those that practice Santeria, Voodoo, etc. For those not knowing the reasons for the sacrificies of the Isrealites they would wonder why God would require such a bloody ritual to "apease" Him. They would probably put those animal sacrificies as the same as those practiced by pagans.

As far as a city or farmining way of life having to do with how one may look at an animal sacrificie, I donnot think there would be much difference. It would be the same as with a hunter and a none hunter. Though one kills for sport and then to eat the game, to kill and butcher in a ritual would still not be viewed as "normal".

• 2 months later...

It may seem repulsive to many because it is something innocent being sacrificed...Many don't understand how sinful we are and it would seem cruel if you don't understand that...But to be spared from death an innocent life had to be sacrificed...We had to be shown in order to fully understand the ultimate sacrifice to follow............Thanks to all of you for your insight ....I am learning so much...May God bless us all thru this study... :)

I believe some people categorize humans and animals in the same set. God made us in His likeness and we are to rule over animals and such. But that's difficult for some to understand.

I don't agree with crulty towards animals, but back in the day that this study refers to, sacrifice wasn't done in a cruel manner and this was what God REQUIRED for forgiveness. Plain and simple.

Because Jesus Christ made the ultimate sacriface on the cross, sacrificing animals is no longer necessary.

Farmers kill animals everyday so we'll have meat to eat. I've never seen an animal killed and wouldn't want to witness it, but if were required of me for God's forgiveness of sins, I would do it in a heart beat.

I think if those repulsed by bible day animal sacrifice would just consider Jesus, the Lamb of God, giving His innocent life so we might have a chance to eternity, they would understand a bit more.

Q3. Why is animal sacrifice repulsive to modern people?

Since the sacrificing of animals for the forgiveness of sins is no longer required by God, our society is just not conditioned to accept the killing of animals, for any reason. Even though we all know the meat that we purchase comes from an animal that someone had to kill, we don

• 3 weeks later...

Animal sacrifice to modern people is repulsive because its widely known and used in the cult sector and used for evil and plus many don't have the understanding of the true sacrifice.

City people have a habit of looking down on farm people. Truly, farm people live off the land and are just common folks who don't need luxurious things to live. City people tend to think they are more superior because of all the luxuries that are available. But to me farm people are more down to earth and have alot of faith more than most city people. They live the way people lived in the biblical times.

Why is animal sacrifice repulsive to modern people?

I think alot of people might view it as something primative, barbaric and cruel.

How much of this has to do with a city vs. a farming way of life?

People in cities aren't accustomed to seeing animals butchered on a daily basis as a way of life. People on animal farms look at butchering animals as a necessity and as a way of life and making a living.

Animal sacrifice is repulsive to modern mankind because they do not want to admit that they are sinners and in need of salvation. Many people today believe that Heaven can be attained by their own good works instead of the shedding of the blood of our Savior. If they would only read GOD's Word they would understand that "without the shedding of blood there is no remission." Praise GOD for the shed blood of Jesus Christ our Lord!

• 4 weeks later...

Animal sacrifice is repulsive to modern people because we see animals as cute and cuddly, defenseless and needing our protection. This has a lot to do with a city vs. a farming way of life since we don't have to think about where our meals actually came from and how they got to be that way.

:( Let me address the second part of the question first. The reason the blood is so repulsive is we are not use to having to slaughter our meat or chicken therefore the only blood that is seen is in the styrofoam tray. Blood is repulsive because it is mostly related to grizzly murders or horrible episodes of brutality. Think about it though, how much more brutal could the beating Jesus took for you and I be so we could be healed by those stripes.The shed blood of the Lamb was necessary orginally for the covering of sin. The farmers and herdsman were accustom to butchering their meat and farmers in later years were also use to it since it was the only means of obtaining food for the table.I think we need to be horrified by the sightr since we have become desensitized by all the brutality we see on TV or in the movies so we just dont think much about it any more.

The Passion of the Christ is the best thing to come to the movies in years for more reasons than one. Not only did it show the brutel beating Jesus took but it also showed the evil in the world then and now.

• 1 month later...

Animal sacrifice is repulsive to modern people partly because we are not used to seening animals being slaughtered and also partly because animals sacrifices are attributed to worship of heathen gods. Whether one lives in the city or at a farm will have different responses to seening an animal being slaughtered. Slaughtering animals in part of farm life and seening blood may not raise any blood pressure!

• 6 months later...

Because we typically don't go through the process of killing/butchering animals. We don't have to deal with the 'blood and guts' of the matter. We see the end product....either in the market or presented beautifully rare, medium or well-done, amidst a variety of steamed veggies and some type of starch. :D We are insulated from all of that.

It has everything to do with the different ways of life of those who live in the city and those who have a farming way of life. Animal farmers see this 'everyday' and know all that's involved in preparing the animals for human consumption. I guess we city-dwellers may tend to take this all too lightly.

• 2 months later...

At the very idea of killing an animal. The everyday person will eat meat, but doesn't necessarily think of what had to happen to the animal in which that meat came from. It's not the way we acquire food as they had to back them, nor are we accustomed to that of a herdsman or farmer, as suggested in the Exposition.

Cityfolk don't buthcher their animals, drain their blood, and cut up the meat. We buy the meat already processed, sometimes even already cooked, such as a restaurant or deli counter, grocery store, etc..

I guess we as humans, in this day and age, don't even think twice that there was a sacrifice for us to eat that type of food. If given a choice to eat a steak or something from the land - how many of us would hesitate to turn down that steak?

• 2 months later...

BEING ORIGINALLY FROM THE CARIBBEAN, I'VE HAD TO KILL CHICKENS ON MANY SUNDAY MORNINGS AND CLEAN IT IN ORDER FOR US TO HAVE LUNCH, SO TO ME IT IS NOT REPULSIVE.HOWEVER I CAN UNDERSTAND IF ALL YOUR LIFE YOU'VE GROWN UP IN THE CITY, IT MAY BE A BIT DISTASTEFUL OR REPULSIVE TO SOME.ALSO, IT'S DIFFICULT SOMETIMES FOR US TO UNDERSTAND KILLING AN ANIMAL JUST FOR SACRIFICE; IT SEEMS TO US LIKE WASTING FOOD; YET ACCORDING TO HEBREW LAWS THAT'S EXACTLY HOW GOD ORDAINED IT. GOD BLESS.

• 2 months later...
Q3. Why is animal sacrifice repulsive to modern people? How much of this has to do with a city vs. a farming way of life? Exposition

Q3 ) Why is animal sacrifice repulsive to modern people?How much of this has to do with a city vs. a farming way of life?

We don't sacrifice animals just for the sake of it, it is used for food and if it wasn't for the farmers we wouldn't have meat. It is a totally concept today. PRAISE THE LORD. :P

• 2 weeks later...

When I was little I remember my parents having to raise and slaughter our own meat. Today we don't think much about it as everything is so conveniently laid out in nice packages at the supermarket. Butchering animals today is not part of most of our everyday routine so it seems rather repulsive to most. I am glad that today we don't need to sacrifice animals for the forgiveness of our sins.

My life as a "city person" is totally different from a farming family. I have too many pets now - I don't think I could kill an animal, especially one that I have named.