JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Redeemed from Slavery

Q1. (Ephesians 1:7) In what sense have you been "redeemed" from slavery? What do you think your life up to now would have been like if you hadn't been redeemed? What would your future be like without redemption, do you think?

My redemption comes from the fact that I am no longer held down by the yoke of sin. God has shown me the futility of living a life that is of the world, and how that life(style) leads only to an eternity of despair, and of not being able to enter into the heavenly places. The sacrifice paid by His only son, Jesus was a gift that can never be repaid by this mortal being. A future without redemption is like falling into a black hole, accompanied by panic and despair.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Ephesians 1:7) In what sense have you been "redeemed" from slavery? What do you think your life up to now would have been like if you hadn't been redeemed? What would your future be like without redemption, do you think?

A) I have been freed from the expectations and culture of our current "civilization". Previously, I had accepted the status-quo of my sinful nature/inherited nature. Human sinful nature joined with current world view sinful nurture equalled slavery. I am now have "the mind of Christ" and am thus accountable in my freedom for my thoughts and actions.

B)Most definitely a hard, calculating, demanding, ungracious, abortion activist, euthanasia activist, feminist. Unhappy and making every body else's life misery.

C)It would be more difficult for those around me than myself as I would have a character that would demand of others in a Cruella-Deville way. My future would be filled with bitterness.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Q1. (Ephesians 1:7) In what sense have you been "redeemed" from

slavery? What do you think your life up to now would have been

like, if you hadn't been redeemed? What would your future be like

without redemption, do you think?

We have been redeemed in the sense that we are no longer a slave to sin! We are redeemed in Jesus Christ, we as saved and washed clean by His blood which He shed on the Cross.

I KNOW, I don't THINK what my life up to now would have been like because I was not redeemed until age 54.I would have continued in my destructive lifestyle. Destructive to myself and others around me! I would have continued to have a hard,unforgiving heart, and be full of anger and hate!

Being redeemed has completely and utterly changed my heart and life! Words alone cannot express how much being redeemed by the Blood of Christ has changed my life!

This is amazing. This reply has shown me that whatever age we are we all have the same sin nature and fall to the same hatred and despair. I was only 17 when Christ pursued me and your life was me at 17; when I have not been "in Christ" this nature wants to raise it's ugly head. I need to walk in His redemption, purposefully, daily. Your reply has really challenged me to go and witness Christ to all.

• 3 months later...

I have been released from the captivity of my own mental slavery of sin and death. My redemption is made complete when Jesus paid it all with his precious blood.

My life would have been in a mess had I not been redeemed through the blood of Jesus.

Without redemption my future will be futile.

We were once under the bondage of sin and slavery but God's grace through the precious blood of his son Jesus he has "redeemed" us from the slavery of sin and division and we become the righteousness of God through Jesus.

My life would have a wretched misery had it not been the blood of Jesus who "redeemed" me from my blindness.

I would have no future without redemption. My future will be a total wretch.

Glory to God!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I no longer need to be a slave to sin like I was before Christ came into my life. I was a slave to sin in that I was controlled by what the world thougt was important instead of what God thought was important.

I most likely would have been an alcholic like a great deal of my family is. I would have missed out on blessings that God has showered on me because I hadn't received his grace. I don't know how I would have survived the tragedies of my life so far without Him being there.

It would be in a word hopeless with my savior Jesus Christ.

• 3 weeks later...

1. In what sense have you been redeemed from slavery? Before Christ came into my life I was a slave to stress, depression, and so many other problems. When He came into my heart, I felt as if a heavy load had been lifted from my shoulders. I had a sense of "lightness". I felt as if I could cope with all the problems of my life, which I couldn't do before.

2. What do you think your life would have been like up to now, if your life had not been redeemed? I know what my life was before I was redeemed. I could not function without my Valium (which was the Prozac of those days). I felt my life was a living hell on earth. My life would have probably been a thousand times worse without Christ, as I spiraled downhill.

3. What would your future be like without redemption, do you think? I don't even want to think what my future would have been like. I would not have a future without redemption. I can now spend eternity in Heaven. I have a hope in tomorrow that I never had before.

• 6 months later...

Q1. (Ephesians 1:7) In what sense have you been "redeemed" from slavery? What do you think your life up to now would have been like, if you hadn't been redeemed? What would your future be like without redemption, do you think?

So many of the previous answers reflect my situation. I became aware of the love of Jesus when I was about seven, however, John 3:16 didn't make sense to me and my family members could not explain to me the purpose of Christ's death on the cross. I could say the verse but didn't realize the spiritual depth of the verse. From the time of seven, I considered myself a Christian and attended church services regularly with my family, my spiritual knowledge was lacking for too many years. Later I was baptized and still could not answer the important question. Subsequently, during my early teens I drifted from the Church and remained distanced until I enlisted in the Air Force and took Roman Catholic Instruction and was later baptized. Drifted into serious sin again while serving overseas. When I returned to the U.S., I was chastised severely following confession and again drifted from the Church. For several years I wallowed in sensuality and alcohol. However, the desperateness of my situation came home to me during the viewing of a secular movie, "The Color Purple", when the wayward daughter of a pastor, after spending

Saturday night in a saloon, while walking past her father's church on Sunday morning, heard the choir singing, "God is trying to tell you something." I was immediately convicted by the Holy Spirit and realized that God had also been trying to tell me something over the years. Subsequently, I joined the Salvation Army and during the instruction, my mentor explained that the Person, Jesus Christ, God in the flesh and equal to the Father, was the only One with the credentials to right the wrong I and all mankind had committed against Holy God. Only the sacrifice of God in the Flesh could pay the debt of humankind's sin. Through the sacrifice of my Savior, Jesus Christ, has released me from the bondage of sin, slavery and death. Hallelujah. What a wonderful God we have. Without Jesus Christ, my life would be pointless.

c

• 5 months later...

The sense that I have been “redeemed” from slavery is that I know that I don’t have Satan pointing at my history and saying that I can’t talk about this or that because I also had done that sin. Now I am free to tell other about my past sins.

I think my life up to now would be a lot worse off than it is now. I would be guilt ridden and probably depressed because there would be no future for me.

Without redemption all I would be facing is the fire of hell.

• 3 months later...

1. a. The day I committed my life to Christ he forgave my sins and delivered me from a life of sin.

b. Not redeemed - It would have been a life of sin and without hope.

c. Without Christ my future would be a downward spiral and I would be forever lost eternally.

• 1 month later...

Redemption is paying a ransom price to release someone from a captive condition. Formerly, I had a sinful nature which was under the controlling power of sin; sin was my master. Christ's death on the cross was the ransom price that freed me from sin, death and hell. Sin's control over me was destroyed by God's accepting Christ substitutionary death on the cross.

Life without redemption would be just what it was before accepting Christ into my life, that is, a life constantly seeking to satisfy the desires of the flesh. A life without moral direction, such as being tossed to and from as a rudderless ship on the high seas.

A future without redemption would the same as above.

• 1 year later...

We have been purchased with a price from the slavery of sin. With out being redeemed we would be lost in our sins with no hope of being forgiven. Being in doubt of our acceptance to God. 

• 2 months later...

In what sense have you been "redeemed" from slavery?In what sense have you been "redeemed" from slavery?--I was redeemed from the bondage of my sinful nature,slave to sin due to what the first adam has done (Romans 5:19-For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.)

What do you think your life up to now would have been like if you hadn't been redeemed?--I am still be a slave to my sinful nature, a sinner not because I sinned,but because it is my nature..

And without Jesus redeeming me,I will be in constant perpetual strucggle trying to please God,and trying to save myself which eventually will not happen.

• 10 months later...

I was a slave to worldly values. I felt that I had no value if I did not have the best of everything. I placed all my importance into what others thought of me, what I got paid at work, how I dressed and what presents I gave to my kids.

Without redemption, my life would have been meaningless. MY future would hve no value. I would find no comfort in anything. I would have worked myself to death for no reason. I would have seen myself as a failure when I was not able to buy my kids the newest games or the best clothes or put them into the biggest and best college.

I no longer have that low self esteem. I see that I have value as a person. I find that I am joyous if I put a smile on anther person's face just by doing a simple little task. I no longer care that my kids do not keep up with their friends. I am hoping that they understand the importance of love and time spent together instead of playing on the latest electronic device.

• 2 years later...
On 7/18/2006 at 1:49 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

I have been set free,I am no longer a slave to sin.

I don't know if I would be here, the weight of my sin.

What future, without Jesus there is no future. My children would not know how much God loves them.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q5. Redeemed from Slavery
  • 1 month later...

Q5. (Ephesians 1:7) In what sense have you been "redeemed" from slavery? What do you think your life up to now would have been like, if you hadn't been redeemed? What would your future be like without redemption, do you think?
http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/topic/497-q5-redeemed-from-slavery/

I was formerly a slave to sin and Satan but Jesus bought and paid for my release and presented me to God as his redeemed child.

Without redemption I would have been walloping in sinful living! I can’t really imagine this.

On 7/18/2006 at 1:49 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q5. (Ephesians 1:7) In what sense have you been "redeemed" from slavery? What do you think your life up to now would have been like if you hadn't been redeemed? What would your future be like without redemption, do you think?

I have been redeemed from the world and its pleasures. God showed me His love by drawing me to Himself and letting me know he was real and alive, sending His Holy Spirit to live in me. Before I was religious and tried to look holy by outward appearances but His living in me has made me holy and by His Holy Spirit leads me and guides me and delivers me from things I need to be delivered from, freeing me from sin and slavery to it.

I would be in the world, doing the things of the world. Not knowing truth or the real wisdom God gives.  No peace, worry, fear, making wrong decisions, living a life of sin. 

My future would be one of unhappiness.  Not knowing the one who created me, who loves me and who had a purpose for my life.

Q1. (Ephesians 1:7) In what sense have you been "redeemed" from slavery?  i am redeemed from slavery of sin by The LORD Jesus Christ death. AMEN!.   What do you think your life up to now would have been like if you hadn't been redeemed? I am dead in sin without the Sacrifice of our LORD Jesus Christ.  I have no Hope of Eternal Life.  What would your future be like without redemption, do you think? I have no future beyond the time i have left in life on this earth.

Q5. (Ephesians 1:7) In what sense have you been "redeemed" from slavery? What do you think your life up to now would have been like, if you hadn't been redeemed? What would your future be like without redemption, do you think? 
It is through our Lord Jesus Christ that I have been redeemed, set free from the slavery to sin (Romans 6:6-7). He is the Redeemer; “in Him we have redemption” (1:7). It involves the purchase of a slave from their former master (sin) so that they are free to serve God (Romans 6:22). This Jesus did on the cross, it is through His shed blood that He paid the ransom price (Matthew 20:28). Not only has my penalty been paid, but sin's stranglehold on my life has been broken, I’m no longer a helpless captive of sin. If I hadn’t been redeemed, I can only imagine living a life in the grip of sin, bound to the power of Satan, and the world (Col 1:13-14). It would all end up with me suffering the wrath of God and not spending eternity with Him. I realise that I’ve been bought at such a tremendous cost, and that I no longer belong to myself, and can therefore no longer live my life the way I choose. I now live in obedience to my Lord. 

It gives me great joy to know that I have been redeemed by Christ.  I am no longer bonded to sin.  Jesus' redemptive powers He has worked in my life constitute a long list of indulging and presumptuous sins.  The phrase, "I should have been dead and gone" clearly illustrates what life for me would have been like had I not been redeemed.  I was trailing hard on the path to destruction.  I strongly believe that I would have died in my sins because of the hopelessness I felt during that time and the dark place I was in.  Honestly, there would have been no future for me.  

• 2 weeks later...

God cannot declare any man righteous or remit one sin without faith in the atonement (Hebrews 9:22; Ephesians 1:7).  We now have the righteousness of God without the Law (Roman's 3:21).  All the rites of the Law and the Prophets pointed and testified to Christ's Redemption that would justify men apart from both the LAW and the Prophets (Colossians 2:14-17; Hebrews 8:1 --10:23).

Without knowing about the Redemption,  I could have been a Stoic or just a good moral person like Seneca or Cicero.  Not knowing about Christ nor being born again...still entrenched in sin.   Actually still being in the grip of the m

My future without Christ would have been bleak.   As an Ephesian, the Main pagan temple would not provide spiritual solace.   It was a place of superstition and idol.worship.  The Ephesians thought that the wooden idol of Diana was from heaven.   This thinking was entrenched in their thinking for centuries.  These people sincerely thought that their religion would some how get them to some place...but it all ended up in more spiritual slavery.

1. In what sense have you been "redeemed" from slavery?

I have been redeemed from slavery in the sense that I have been freed from sin. Yes, I still sin and will still sin for the rest of my life, but I am no longer under the punishment for sin, which is eternal life in hell. My life here on earth and life after physical death are no longer subject to sin and its punishment but I have overcome sin only by the death of Jesus Christ and His blood which was shed for me.

2. What do you think your life up to now would have been like if you hadn't been redeemed?

Honestly, I believe that my life without redemption would be more more enjoyable in fleshly standards, because I would almost certainly be indulging in *********** daily, and potentially drinking and doing drugs, but spiritually, I would be empty. I would feel empty and suffer from depression, loneliness, and anxiety, as a result of habitual sin and the absence of God.

3. What would your future be like without redemption, do you think?

If I kept on living in sin for the rest of my life, I would certainly have a more and more enjoyable life in fleshly terms, but my mental and spiritual health would be absolutely horrible. I would suffer from anxiety, depression, loneliness, probably drug and alcohol abuse, and maybe even suicidal thoughts, all because of the presence of sin and satan, and the absence of God. Ultimately, if my whole life I went unredeemed, I would suffer eternity in hell, lacking fully the presence of God forever!

THANK YOU JESUS!!!!!!!