JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Redeemed from Slavery

Q1. (Ephesians 1:7) In what sense have you been "redeemed" from slavery? What do you think your life up to now would have been like if you hadn't been redeemed? What would your future be like without redemption, do you think?

I have been redeemed, saved, brought out of slavery of the bondage of my own thinking. I no longer must rely on my feelings or intellect to work through my feelings of hopelessness or even inferiority. I only have to look to Christ and realize who I really am in Him...the daughter of a king, holy in His sight. My life would have been more messy and the tragedy is there would have been more fall out, more strife with other people. I would have had a hard heart and not been able to see my part in hurting relationships. I believe I would have been constantly striving to fill the space where the Holy Spirit now dwells in me with tangible things linked to power, greed and ****. A future without redemption would be like living in a holocaust forever. :o

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. In what sense have you been "redeemed" from slavery?

A. I have been redeemed in the sense that God has taken all my sins and has blotted them out so he does not

remember them anymore. I no longer have to worry about the things I did in my past that were wrong. In

addition, every time I do something wrong I simply can go to God and ask him to forgive me for them. He then

erases them so the board is wiped clean every time.

2. What do you think your life up to now would have been like, if you hadn't been redeemed?

I know that my life would still be in bondage to the guilt of past and present sins. I would not have a life that

has eternal purpose, and direction. Before I became a Christian I believed that there was no meaning or

purpose; that everything that happens is random. In addition to this, I would not have been able to quite

smoking nor would I have been able to face my own mortality, putting my trust and confidence in God,

especially since I have asthma and have nearly died twice from asthma attacks. But when I was in critical

condition twice, not knowing if I would live or die, I was able to accept the situation and put my complete

trust in God. "If you want me to live God, then let me live, but if you want to die to be with you, then let me

die" Amen!

3. What would your future be like without redemption?

I would have no future. I would be eternally separated from God.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been redeemed from my sins. Been purchased with the precious blood of Jesus Chirst. His sacrafice on the cross taking on all of my sins so that I may be forgiven is a wonder!!! What would my life be like without being redeemed? I would have continued obliviously sinning. I would still be an enemy of God and acting out my rebellion as I saw fit. Living for self. What would my future have been like without redemption? I would die in my sins. I would then have to face God at the great white thorne of judgement and would have been condemed to the lake of fire. But now, by his grace and mercy, by his longsuffering towards me, by never letting me go I have surrendered to Chirst, I have accepted his work on the cross for my salvation, my reedeemer purchased my back from my own destructive ways. For wht time I have left on this planet I will serve the Lord, praise his name now and forever!!! AMEN.

• 2 months later...
Q1. (Ephesians 1:7) In what sense have you been "redeemed" from slavery? What do you think your life up to now would have been like if you hadn't been redeemed? What would your future be like without redemption, do you think?
My sin was dismissed with i give my life to Jesus who bought me on the slave market of sin and he set me free. Because i have redemption through his blood. and if i hadn't been redeemed. i would be dead ,with no future, with out Jesus.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been "redeemed" from slavery in that while I still sin and am still tempted, I can rely on the Holy Spirit in me to help me overcome temptation and when I do sin, I can go straight to God and ask forgiveness. I heard a poem/story once in a Beth Moore Bible study where she is talking about being freed from repetitive sin patterns and what it says is this-

There

• 1 month later...

This is a very difficult question for me because my inclination is to give the sunday school answer. I still struggle with the yoke of slavery. Slavery of materialism, self-centeredness, sloth.....I could of course go on and on. I realize that there are so many things that I carry with me that I don't need to, but I haven't yet let them go. I will say that God brought a wonderful Christlike man into my life that has lived with me through some terrible times. I know that the depression I feel sometimes would be terrible if I had no hope of a time and place where these trials would be gone. I have a tendenancy toward alcohol and I know that my future would probably hold mindless days and hopeless nights with a bottle and my own thoughts. I am not sure I would have made it this far in life without Christ holding me when I wanted to give up on life.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Ephesians 1:7) In what sense have you been "redeemed" from slavery?

I have been bought back from the control of Satan, sin, my flesh, the world, into newness of life and freedom, a new birth and eternal life with my Lord and Savior, as a result of His precious shed blood to atone for me.

What do you think your life up to now would have been like if you hadn't been redeemed?

The Lord only knows! I was sexually, physically, verbally, emotionally abused as a child. I marvel that He protected me from a life of trying to kill the pain in alcohol, drugs etc. I was offered a job as a dancer at the Tropicana in Las Vegas when I was 17, while there on a trip I won on the radio, and took my Mom as my guest. That may have led to a life of prostitution or sexual enslavement....instead I married and had a family, was born again, and have served the Lord. My life has been painful, but it's been in the sense of becoming whole and free from the past, as I've faced all of it with loving support through 12 step work, therapy, prayer, deliverance, journaling....the Great Physician at work, instead of Satan at the controls.

What would your future be like without redemption, do you think?

I can only imagine it would be an endless stretch of meaningless days, fearing old age and death. No joy, no hope, nothing but a self centered existence going nowhere but to hell and eternal separation from God.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Ephesians 1:7)

In what sense have you been "redeemed" from slavery?

What do you think your life up to now would have been like, if you hadn't been redeemed?

What would your future be like without redemption, do you think?

We were slaves to sin, and now that we have been redeemed, we have forgiveness of sins. We are seen as holy and blameless, and living as adopted children of God. As to our future, we would not have had one; we would have been condemned to spend eternity in hell.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been redeemed from slavery in the sense that through the blood of Jesus Christ I have been given liberty from the bondage of sin. I no longer have to submit myself to destructive thoughts or actions - but am fully aware of the power of the Blood of Jesus Christ in my life.

Had I not been redeemed I think that by now I would have been suicidal and that I would not have hope for bigger and greater things in God on a daily basis.

Redemption puts a new lease on life and allows me to understand that nothing in my past can hold me, as long as I continue to accept and live in the gift of redemption.

• 3 months later...

I am no longer tied to sin, I am free to live my life as a child of God, because of the blood of Jesus shed on the cross in payment for my sins. Jesus Christ who was without sin by the grace of God paid the price for my sin with his blood. This means I am redeemed from the power of the enemy and am free to do God's will by the power of the Holy Spirit

Because of my redemption, I can be free from the power of Satan. If I ask Jesus for His help and put my trust in Him, I can resist his power and not yield and do the things he would have me do. I can say no to sin. If I hadn't been redeemed, I probably would not be in church and probably would have committed sins (more and worse) than I do now. Life could well have been aimless.

The future would be eternity in hell-separation from my beloved Jesus forever. And who can guess what sins and depravity I might take part in while still on this earth. There probably would be great unhappiness in my life.

• 2 months later...

Without redemption, I would be a slave to sin. While I still sin now, I don't have to answer to it or live under sin's control. The Holy Spirit lives in me and makes me a slave to righteousness, however difficult that may feel sometimes. If I were not redeemed, I would very much be controlled by my natural tendencies toward fear and anxiety. Each day would be filled with dread, not hope.

• 1 month later...

I was purchased at a young age. I was 8 years old when I accepted Christ. I like the idea of being redeemed as a purchase, because it implies permanence. God isn't going to return me for a refund. The reason the idea of being Jesus' property is so important to me is because I had a time in my life when I had no relationship with God. I didn't even know if I believed in God, and I certainly didn't read the Bible or talk to Him. But God had purchased me already, and He wasn't going to let me go. One night, when I was in the 8th grade, I had a dream. It was absolutely terrifying; Jesus was fighting Satan for my soul. God defended me just like I would defend my property if someone were trying to steal it from me. I know in my heart that what happened that night was real. Satan was trying to steal me from God, and Jesus fought to keep me. JESUS fought for ME. Isn't that amazing? He won, and I woke the next morning knowing that God was real, Jesus was His Son, and I was loved. I have since had times in my life when I didn't live my life quite the way I should, and didn't spend much time talking with God. But since that night, I have never again fully lost touch with God.

I wasn't re-redeemed. This is the way I see it: God purchased me from Sin. In my stupidity, I ran back to Sin to serve him again. But I was already free, and nothing could undo that. God just chased after me, and led me away from Sin again.

I don't have to think very hard to know what my life would be like if I had not been redeemed, and it is not a pretty picture. I doubt that I would ever have done drugs or drank, because it was counter to how I was raised. But I most certainly would have entered into relationships with men that would have been harmful, and I'm pretty sure that I would have had children for the sake of having children, outside of the way that God wants me to raise a family. But more than anything, and the truly frightening idea, is that I would have been empty. I would have been living for nothing, with no joy and no peace. I remember how I felt those years when I walked away from God. It was dark and lonely, and I never want to go back. Thank God, I never have to.

A future without Redemption is no future, as far as I'm concerned. I mean that both literally and figuratively. I think that without God, I would have probably committed suicide by now, or would at some point, so there is the literal part of it. If by some miracle I did not take that step, my future would still have been empty. Life without God is death. If Jesus had not redeemed me, I would have a future as a walking, talking corpse. I am very thankful that that is not my future.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Ephesians 1:7) In what sense have you been "redeemed" from slavery?

I have been bought out of my slavery to sin. I was on a sort of treadmill of sin. I knew it was bad, I knew it was unfulfilling, but I couldn't get off that treadmill on my own. Someone had to intervene and pay to release me. That is what Christ did.

What do you think your life up to now would have been like if you hadn't been redeemed?

Not what it would have been like, what was it like, and I can remember it oh too well. It was unfulfilling, meaningless and hopeless. I was forever striving to reach new goals acquire new things and new experiences only to find each as unsatisfying as everything which had gone before. It was a hopeless and deeply dissatisfying existence....

What would your future be like without redemption, do you think? ....and it would have continued as such until death which would have been the "icing on the cake" of this life were it not for Christ coming in and revolutionising everything!!!

I have been redeemed from slavery in at least two different aspects. First, my slave debt has been paid to the Master by the sacrafice of Christ and I am now free. Second, I have been redeemed from the slavery of sin which now holds no power over me other than what I chose to give it. I wish I truly could give up sin but then I wouldn't need Christ so it is a bitter-sweet balance. When I try to share Christ with people who do not believe I sense they simply do not realize they are missing anything and that their life would not be any different if they become "redeemed". What they miss is a sense of peace, love, joy, and the other six fruits of the spirit. I believe as a person matures they begin to question their spiritual life and often realize they have made a mistake in rejecting Christ.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Without Christ I was living in sin doing things that were'nt of God and by saving me he redeemed me or claimed me back as His child and is teaching me life lessons daily. Not sure I would even be alive if Christ had not of intervened. I was addicted to drugs and eventually got put in prison and Christ showed me how I should live through that situation and it is always a learning process. If Christ had not have redeemed me my life would be pointless and I would be living for satan headed straight to the fiery furnace and I thank Christ for that!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

dusty trails here, I believe my life here on earth has been redeemed through Christ because Iam learning to love and appreciate all the things that god has blessed me with.I enjoy a greater peace of mind and satisfaction in my daily living.I even experience joy at times.Now I have gratitude where before it was dissatisfaction.I spent a lot of time dealing with long bouts of depression,medication and therapy.Through Gods words I feel like a shell of a man has now grown into something a little more significant and the more I pray and study the more beautiful it gets! I guess my mistake has always been I try to put myself in Gods place and think,How could God love a person like me? let alone give his only son up for me! How arrogant and stupid is that!But I have asked for forgiveness and I will have faith and pray for understanding.

• 2 weeks later...

1a) I have been released from the grip/hold of wrong thinking and actions in my life & the power of guilt that came from being aware of sin-ful thoughts -anger, resentment, frustration. B) without the freedom of redemption, I would have continued to carry sinful thought & they would continue to affect my life. :)

• 4 weeks later...

To have not been redeemed, I would have been a very sad and lonely person.....I suffered a bad back injury, and now I'm out of work. I purchased a very old BIBLE, and I began reading it....

I've been divorced twice, and I haven't been to confession in 40 years. That will change, because I'm going to try to go this week... I pray to PAUL every day... If I receive a settlement from my injury, I'm going to visit Israel.....

• 3 weeks later...

In what sense have you been redeemed from slavery?

Redemption refers to God purchasing us through Jesus

oh dear...I already know what life is like without redemption. I was a slave to sin and all impurity before Jesus saved me. Alcohol, drugs, nicotine, sex, occult, "big" career woman, always seeking love and never finding it, utter selfishness - I had no clue how to love or be a mother. I was a slave to the flesh in a most literal sense of the word. I've been set free from these things - but the best thing is that I know the love of Jesus. He truly is my Lord, King, and husband, I am happily waiting for the wedding feast. He is most gracious and kind. I have mended the relationship with my son, and he is also slowly coming to Christ. Amen! Future life would probably be more of the same except you could add "and then it got worse". If I were not in Jesus Christ, I would probably die from some disease or kill myself or others driving drunk or be in jail. Just writing this makes me love Him all the more. Thank you dear Jesus, and loving Father. Thank you.

I have been redeemed by Christ's willingness to put himself on the cross and die for all of my sins!!!! I was once a slave to bondage unable to set my own self free from my lying fornication and all else but God gave me a way out and his name is Wonderful Counselor Prince of Peace, Jesus Christ my saviour!!!! I would have been a total mess up unable to get my self right without Gods loving concern for my life and what it would be like without him in my life To be born and then die in utter hell is what my life would have been and would be without Christ redeeming grace in my life!!

• 3 months later...

When Christ paid the price for my freedom from the slavery of my old life, from the only kind of life I knew, I was "free" to live a new life. Before Christ paid that price I did not know I had an option for a better life. Now that I know the kind of life God wants for me, predestined for me to have, a whole new world of opportunities are there for me. Without my redemption I would be living as I did before, for myself and for what I thought could make me happy. Like the rest of the world, fearful and just waiting to die.

• 1 month later...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Q1. (Ephesians 1:7) In what sense have you been "redeemed" from

slavery? What do you think your life up to now would have been

like, if you hadn't been redeemed? What would your future be like

without redemption, do you think?

We have been redeemed in the sense that we are no longer a slave to sin! We are redeemed in Jesus Christ, we as saved and washed clean by His blood which He shed on the Cross.

I KNOW, I don't THINK what my life up to now would have been like because I was not redeemed until age 54.I would have continued in my destructive lifestyle. Destructive to myself and others around me! I would have continued to have a hard,unforgiving heart, and be full of anger and hate!

Being redeemed has completely and utterly changed my heart and life! Words alone cannot express how much being redeemed by the Blood of Christ has changed my life!