JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Universal Atonement

( Isaiah 52:15 ) I shall sprinkle many Nations.

( Isaiah 53:12 ) Therefore I will divide Him a portionwith the great,

And He Shall divide the spoil with the strong,

Because He poured out His sile unto death,

And He was numbered with the transgressors,

And He bore the sin of many,

And made intercession for the transgessors. ( THANK YOU JESUS YOU LOVE US ALL SO VERY MUCH )

:wub:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From how large a group of people does God remove sins in Isaiah 52:13 - 53:12? In what sense is this a universal sacrifice of salvation? In what sense is Jesus' sacrifice wasted on some people

As a ransom "for many" Isaish 53.12; To redeem "all people" from the bondage of sin. Matt. 20.28; His death released "all of us" from our slavery to sin. Mark 10:45

Some are so hardened that they prefer to reject Go'd son rather than believe

• 7 months later...

How large a group? - for everyone of all nations of the whole earth

How universal of a sacrifice? - Jesus' life was given for every human ever conceived...even those who weren't born

How much of a waste? - I don't believe from His perspective there was one iota of waste, however we can waste our lives by not accepting His sacrifice for our lives. I believe that even if NO ONE accepted His sacrifice, He still would have given it to show us His love for us. I think Jesus would still have gone to the cross and paid the price of sin in obedience to His Father.

Jesus died for all mankind on earth, every human being--for us--for me.

It was a waste only for those who made the decision to not receive His wonderful Gift! Yet, not a waste--they are forever lost--they chose not to grab the life-line that would have saved them.

• 3 months later...

The "Servant " , The Messiah , Our Lord Jesus Christ , was "disfigured "; but through His suffering , He Cleansed the sins of all people in the World.

The Messiah suffered for our sake , bearing our sins to make us acceptable to God .

Whoever believes in Jesus , he/she is never forsaken , but is made right with God , not by their own works , but by the Messiah's great work on the Cross. They are justified because they have claimed Christ , the righteous Servant , as their savior and Lord . THE NAME OF GOD BE PRAISED .AMEN .

• 6 months later...

Q1. From how large a group of people does God remove sins in Isaiah 52:13 - 53:12?

According to Isaiah 53:12 He "bare the sin of many." This may seem exclusive since we are so used to saying that "the whole world," but only those who accepts the atoning work at the cross can be counted in the many."

In what sense is this a universal sacrifice of salvation?

This is a universal sacrifice of salvation as the opportunity to accept is given to every person in the world. No one is excluded.

In what sense is Jesus' sacrifice wasted on some people?

Some people refuse to accept Jesus' sacrifice. Even though our sin has been atoned for, we must confess our sins, repent and accept Jesus' sacrifice. If we don't then we'd die in our sins.

• 7 months later...

Q1. From how large a group of people does God remove sins in Isaiah 52:13 - 53:12? In what sense is this a universal sacrifice of salvation? In what sense is Jesus' sacrifice wasted on some people?

Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God, went to the cross for the atonement of sin for all nations and ethnic groups. Jesus' sacrifice is salvation universally for those who accept it and it is wasted on those who reject it.

• 3 months later...

Q1. From how large a group of people does God remove sins in Isaiah 52:13 - 53:12? In what sense is this a universal sacrifice of salvation? In what sense is Jesus' sacrifice wasted on some people?

God wants to remove sins from all people. Jesus was sacrificed for everyone. Joh 3:16

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
However, there are those who refuse to accept Jesus as the only way, believe that 'if they're a good person' or just plain don't want anything to do with God who this sacrifice will be wasted on.

• 1 month later...

"bore the sin of many" and "the iniquity of us all" indicate that the group of people extends well past the Jews to include all people. Jesus' sacrifice is wasted when a person does not accept Him as their savior....his sacrifice was for all, but each must choose to accept it.

• 4 weeks later...

There are a lot of plurals in these scriptures--many, us all, my people. I can easily see these passages being the foundation for John's assertion that Jesus is the Lamb who takes away the sins of the world.

But I wonder. His sacrifice is universal to all who believe--no question about that. But what about those who don't? I'd say it's available to all, but that it isn't accepted by all. If true, His atonement is not universal as some don't accept it. But it's universally available.

On the other hand, His atonement is perfect for God, the Father. In that sense, His atonement is universal as the Father's holy character is infinitely satisfied by the sacrifice. This allows all who accept it to find peace with the Father; the relationship is reestablished for all who believe. It's in this sense that His sacrifice is universal.

I can't say his work is wasted on some people. It's not wasted on anyone who believes, or who will believe. For those who won't, well...God help them. God has done everything His holy character can do to enable His creatures to have as close a relationship with Him as possible in this world. His holy nature will not force His creatures to love Him, even though He sacrificed in an enormous way for them to come into His presence. I'd say it's very sad, yes. But not wasted.

I am a sinner like anyone who reads this. I wandered far from Him in my past. I kept good company with the prodigal. During that time, others could easily have said Jesus' sacrifice was wasted on the likes of me. Actually, they still could--all fall short.

But thank God He doesn't think this way. There is no waste in what Jesus accomplished. There is only sadness that "all" don't see what He did...but the day is coming when we/they will see clearly. There will be no confusion on that day.

. From how large a group of people does God remove sins in Isaiah 52:13 - 53:12? In what sense is this a universal sacrifice of salvation? In what sense is Jesus' sacrifice wasted on some people?

For he bore the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors(Isaiah 53:12), here the word "transgressors" has no attributive adjective referring one or some nations, no restriction , whatever the background of the transgressor, He made intercession for him/ her.

Some people please in thinking they have a merciful God, and keep on doing the same sin several times. they don t realize that every sin can only be atoned by the blood of Jesus, Then been recidivist sinner is like wasting the blood of the Lord Jesus.

In Isaiah we can read - he would remove the sin of many people or nations. Jesus' sacrificed himself for 'the world' for 'everyone'. But not everyone will accept what He did for them. Some will turn away and will not have their names written in the book of life.

• 1 year later...

Isaiah says that the salvation is for "many'. This includes ANY that God chooses to save ... because God is omniscient, he knows that many will reject his perfect sacrifice, and will try to work their way into heaven. Nothing ever suprises God! He already knows who in the next 100 or 1000 or 1 million years will hear HIS voice and accept the free gift He has given. What an awesome thought!!!

Jesus sacrifice is "wasted" on some people only in the sense that they will never allow themselves to be covered with the blood of the lamb ... they are too worldly, modern, etc, to need a sacrifice for them. But only by being covered by His Blood are we a pleasing and acceptable sacrifice to Him.

• 1 month later...

Q1. From how large a group of people does God remove sins in Isaiah 52:13 - 53:12? In what sense is this a universal sacrifice of salvation?

The World, the Gentiles, would also be included in the covenant with God; through the Servant of God, the anointed Messiah of Israel.

If we Gentiles, who in the past did not believe in the God of Israel, and now can obtain mercy through the unbelief of the Jews, who God predestined them blindness to Christ, so that the world may be grafted in, adopted into the family of God, do not except this gift of mercy and grace, do not come to understand we are to present our bodies as a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is our reasonable service; only then can I see a wasted life, not that of the Messiah, but that of a life, of

• 1 month later...

Q1. From how large a group of people does God remove sins in Isaiah 52:13 - 53:12? In what sense is this a universal sacrifice of salvation?

The Son of God, our Jesus Christ, is the perfect lamb in exchange for our freedom. He is the perfect sacrifice that is worthy as an sin atonement for all nations, till the ends of the earth.

For those who have ears, let them hear, and those who have eyes , let them see. The Son of God offers salvation to all who accept Him as their personal savior and offer up their lives to Him. Seek not our Kingdom but His Kingdom, and in everything, put God before us, until we unite with Him in Heaven. God's salvation plan is to provide a way for us as sheep to unite with the Shepherd. Jesus finished work is a testimony of forgiven sins and the fulfillment of God's will. He trump over sins and sit at the right hand of the Father's throne. He has become our intercessor until today, and until the end of the earth.

Those who rejected Jesus, rejected their own lives. jesus is the bread, the life and the way. Without Him, we will not be able to enter our Father's kingdom. Jesus work is never wasted because His victory is forever.

• 2 months later...

1. He removed the sin of all.

2. he bore the sin of the univers and finaly was

killed for there sins. by doing this he was able to extablish the law. God

looks at blood of Jesus that was sacrifced on the cross for our salvation.

3. those who are still slave to satan, who cannot use the keys or extablish the law that our Lord Jesus

has accomplished

• 2 months later...

well to me god gave his only begotten son to die for our sins on the cross.and we are all sinners and we believe in the lord jess christ for he is the anointed one.

it says we love the lord our god with all nthy heart,and behold he sent his son to us to forgive us in our sins.in genesis it told the forth coming of jesus also in isaeh and in kings.we know this cause e are his children who will walk with him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

1) from how large a group does God remove sins in this passage? Hm. I see the word "many" quite a few times, but that is not the word "all" There is one phrase that states "the LORD has laid on Him the iniquity of us all." So, I guess it could be said from that one phrase, that the sacrifice of the Lamb of God covers ALL sins for ALL people of the world. But universal atonement isn't the theme of this passage, IMO. It is about the Suffering Servant, how He kept silent before His accusers and attackers, how He was led like a sheep to the slaughter: without making a sound. This question doesn't seem to fit this passage. Universal atonement is to be seen in other parts of the Bible (and the Calvinists can make a case from Scripture about Limited Atonement, too) but I think it isn't that big a part of this passage.

2) in what sense is Jesus' sacrifice wasted on some people? Note from the passage, how He had no form nor majesty that we should desires Him. He was despised and rejected by human beings. To this day, the Lord Jesus is despised and rejected, as made clear by how severely the Church is persecuted in the world. "He was despised and we esteemed Him not." :( "Surely He has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows YET WE ESTEEMED HIM STRICKEN..." People laugh at Jesus. Turn away from Him. It does go against human nature for weakness to be the foundation for all good, yet clearly in this passage, the Servant is portrayed as negligible, not worth noticing, undesirable to human beings. In God's economy, the weakness of the Suffering Servant brings about the removal of many iniquities and the transgressions of many people. In God's economy, a kernel of wheat does not bear fruit unless it first dies. Death and life go together. There is no life for us, if we do not die to ourselves, go against our own nature and see the beauty and wonder of Jesus, the undesirable one, the one who we esteemed NOT. It isn't something we in ourselves can do, to go toward the One who is despised and rejected.

many people reject Him because He "had no form or majesty...and no beauty that we should desire him". That is, just looking at Him with a heart that is unchanged, we ALL reject Him. When He suffered for us, we said "God has stricken Him!" not considering that it is OUR SINS that took Him to that place. Because great good came out of extreme weakness, His ministry is difficult or impossible for the human mind to grasp,and therefore many people reject Him.

Some people go to their graves, rejecting the Savior. this doesn't change the fact that He died for them and wants them with Him. But i also think God does a heart change in people, to bring them to a place of accepting Him. Parallel truths: the will of man, to reject Him or receive Him; the will of the Father to work in people's hearts as He will, so that it is His will and not by the will of any man, that we are saved. From this passage, I think Jesus is not attractive nor desirable for us to naturally go to Him. I think it requires a work in our hearts, and I think only God can do that. Why else would we cease to hide our faces from Him and turn to Him and hear about His dying for us? If He is not beautiful to look at, humanly speaking, and has nothing about Him physically to make Him appealing, and we despise and reject Him because He is a man of sorrows and grief, then the question is "Why do some people turn to Him? Why do some people go from rejecting and despising, to receiving and loving Him?" It isn't that the sacrifice is wasted on some people. It is that the sacrifice works redemption and salvation in any who DO turn to Him.

I think this has given me plenty to ponder for the day! whew!

"52:13 See, my servant will act wisely;

he will be raised and lifted up and highly exalted.

53:12 Therefore I will give him a portion among the great,

and he will divide the spoils with the strong,

because he poured out his life unto death,

and was numbered with the transgressors.

For he bore the sin of many,

and made intercession for the transgressors."

To me these verses mention many and all so this must mean an unlimited number of people. Since God said that He sent His Son into the world to save the world, that means that everyone that is ever to be born will have a chance to receive Jesus as Lord and Savior. Jesus gave His life for everyone even those who decide to never give their hearts to Christ. He would have died even if only one person had received Him because of God's love for His people.

The iniquity of us all was upon Him, therefore, He died to remove sins for the whold world. It's a universal sacrifice because he stood in the place of each one of us,(in the entire world).

It's wasted not by Him , but by indiviuals who do not accept the free gift of salvation and accept what He did for each of us.

The group is "all", verse 6 of chapter 53 verifies that. Verse 8 specifically names "His people" as for who He is stricken. Jesus gave His life as a universal sacrifice for our sins, but 53:3 tells us that "He is despised and rejected by men". All do not recieve, for some His sacrifice is wasted.

Jesus was sacrificed for the present day people he walked among and for all the future people to walk the earth. The scripture talks about his sacrifice was for the nations, the world. I don't think his sacrificed was wasted on anyone. Even if they reject him or have never heard of him, he still didn't waste anything. I think God is big enough to know what he was doing and I think to suggest Jesus (in turn God) wasted something as precious as his own blood is judgmental of the Creator.

Q1 In the Old Testament, the Jews has the concept that they are the chosen ones and God

only come to save them from slavery to the Promised Land. In John 3:16-17: "For God

so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him

should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send the Son into the world

to judge the world; but that the world should be saved through him." The word

"world" here indicates all mankind irrespective of color, creed or race. In Romans

10:12-13 Scripture says: 'For there is no distinction between Jews and Greek, for

the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call upon Him; for

Whoever will call upon the name of the Lord will be saved."

Before His ascension, Jesus has instructed his Apostles to go out to the world to

preach the good news to all nations and baptize them so that they can be saved.

He came upon His own and His own know Him not. The Jews, particularly the Pharisees,

the Sadducees and Scribes were waiting for a Messiah but they could not see Jesus

whom God has sent to them. They being the learned could not accept Jesus, a

carpenter to be the Messiah.

"For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish , but have everlasting life." John 3:16 I think that sums it up. Jesus' sacrifice is wasted on those who don't believe.