JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Universal Atonement

Q1. From how large a group of people does God remove sins in Isaiah 52:13 - 53:12?

The whole world

In what sense is this a universal sacrifice of salvation?

Jesus died once for all....whosoever will come....

In what sense is Jesus' sacrifice wasted on some people?

It's in the "whosoever WILL" come. It's wasted on anyone who refuses to receive the free gift of eternal life. So difficult to understand why anyone would not open their arms to Jesus, but choose eternal damnation, apart from God, instead. I'm thankful He gave us free will, and leaves the decision to us, and also that somehow I was drawn to Him, for which I'll praise Him throughout eternity!

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Universal: All pervading, relating to the whole world, entire, total.

Jesus came and died as the perfect sacrifice for everyone. No one excluded, to offer salvation to the entire world. For all. Not one person left out. Ever.

How is this gift wasted? Many ways I think. Some receive the good news, but fall away for one reason or other. Some receive but don't really believe in salvation. They turn to salvation plus works and eventually loose sight of Jesus. One woman I witnessed to, knew her Bible from a literal point of view yet said to me, "I don't need your Jesus." My heart grieves still because she heard, she knew, yet she openly rejected. Some hear, but don't abide to be fed every day and slowly slide back into worldly living and thinking. Some just can't grasp that salvation is a gift. They think they "earn" it. Some can't admit to being a sinner....and eventually lose sight that they NEED a Savior. Accepting the gift, being humble in receiving unmerited favor and mercy and abiding in Him are the foundations for growing in Him. Seek first the Kingdom of God and all other things will be added to you. Jesus. The foundation and corner stone. All we need.

• 5 weeks later...

Q1. From how large a group of people does God remove sins in Isaiah 52:13 - 53:12?

-the whole world-

-since it is for the whole world, that makes it universal salvation (whether you choose to want it or not)-

-Some people despite hearing about the gospel, still strongly reject it.

But, there was a discussion going on in my bible study group about that God has already "pre-planned" who is to

be saved and who will never be saved. In such case, could it still be counted as "wasted" on such people?-

• 6 months later...

Q1. From how large a group of people does God remove sins in Isaiah 52:13 - 53:12?"He will sprinkle many nations" (52:15)"Laid on him the iniquity of us all." (53:6) These two phrases indicate a very broad scope. "Many nations" would reach out beyond the the Jewish nation. "All" is all inclusive indicating to me that no human is excluded.

In what sense is this a universal sacrifice of salvation? This sacrifice is so complete and "perfect" that any person in the universe can benefit or be covered by it.

In what sense is Jesus' sacrifice wasted on some people? This universal sacrifice is available for all, but not all receive it for themselves. It is not automatic for one has to believe it, receive it and live it. Many reject His great sacrifice made in their behalf for many reasons.

• 1 month later...

Q1. From how large a group of people does God remove sins in Isaiah 52:13 - 53:12? In what sense is this a universal sacrifice of salvation? In what sense is Jesus' sacrifice wasted on some people?

The terms "many" and " many nations" are used, but in 53:6 it says: "and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all." That means conceivably what is almost an infinite number to our human minds -- every person who ever has been or will be born.

In the sense that every sin committed by every person was laid on Jesus at the cross. The sacrifice was made for everyone. Every person who claims it by faith will receive salvation through the sacrifice that Jesus made on the cross. Not everyone WILL, but everyone CAN.

I don't know if can be said, exactly, to have ever been wasted, because everyone has the opportunity to take advantage of it. However, many will acknowledge that there is indeed a God, but refuse to accept Him on His terms. They know there is a God, but they never admit that they need saving, or they won't believe that a God who is love can judge and condemn people to hell. If you know that Jesus died on the cross but you won't follow Him you have, in a sense, willfully rendered His sacrifice a waste in your case.

Q1. From how large a group of people does God remove sins in Isaiah 52:13 - 53:12? In what sense is this a universal sacrifice of salvation? In what sense is Jesus' sacrifice wasted on some people?

The large group of people referred to as God removes sins in Isaiah 52:13 - 53:12 is referring to all the nations of the world.

This is a universal sacrifice of salvation in the sense that Jesus' sacrifice takes away the sins of the whole human race.

Jesus' sacrifice may be wasted on some people because they never accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

Q1. From how large a group of people does God remove sins in Isaiah 52:13 - 53:12? It is ALL inclusive, if they follow the path of Salvation.

In what sense is this a universal sacrifice of salvation? The Servant, depicted as a lamb in 53:7, actually "takes away the sin of the world" (John 1:29).

In what sense is Jesus' sacrifice wasted on some people? Unbelievers need not apply.

God's provision is for removal of sin for all the world. Any one who accepts the provision and recieves the Lord Jesus Christ as his/ her saviour will be saved. It means that if every one in the world receive Jesus as his/ her sacrificial lamb, he/ she will be saved. However, although Jesus died for all the people of the world, many have rejected the offer and therefore wasted the sacrifice.

The large group of people being referred to in Isaiah 52:13 - 53:12 is the whole human race.

This is a universal sacrifice of salvation because Jesus takes away the sins of the world, and that is inclusive.

Jesus' sacrifice was wasted on some people because it is not every body who heeds the call to repentance.

God removes the sins of ALL people - even unto the ends of the Earth.

Jesus blood saves and cleanses us; His stripes (wounds and whip cuts) are for our healing. But we must acknowledge Him as the Son of God and receive Him as Lord and believe with all our hearts that He is able to Save and Heal us.

Jesus sacrifice would be wasted on some people when they do not believe and receive His wonderful gifts.

:wub:

From how large a group of people does God remove sins in Isaiah 52:13 - 53:12? In what sense is this a universal sacrifice of salvation? In what sense is Jesus' sacrifice wasted on some people?

The sacrifice of this Lamb of God is for all of the world....for every nation......I have to admit that sometimes being raised in a strict church we felt like God did this for us...the elect....and it has taken much prayer and study to know with the heart that Jesus loves us all. He paid the rpice with His blood sacrifice.....it is only that we must acept Him and believe. In this way it would be a waste....IF one choooses to not trust in Him and accept the gift He freely gave.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

From how large a group of people does God remove sins in Isaiah 52:13 - 53:12?

There is a large amount of individual who sins will be removed but from the context of one scripture, it is not all. Isaiah 53:11b-12d) by his knowledge my righteous servant will justify many, and he will bear their iniquities. For he bore the sin of many,

The statement from John the Baptist let us know that Jesus is the Lamb to take away the sin of the world. 1 John 2 He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world. Therefore His sacrifice is Universal for Salvation, making it available for all but only to those who come to Jesus Christ and receive him; is it effective. Even the Old Testament saints. People of true Genuine Faith in God

It

• 1 year later...

Isaiah 53:1 Who has believed our message, and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed? I believe the answer lies within this verse; the ones who believed the message and to whom Christ (the arm of the Lord) has been revealed.

Because it is for anyone and everyone who believes in Christ as the Son of God and the Savior of the world.

Because they didn't believe, for whatever reason, they could not or would not accept Christ.

• 1 year later...

God removes sins from many nations, which means all peoples. Jesus' sacrifice was for all who believed and repented of their sins.  Sadly however, many do not repent.  They say they will when they are ready.  For some their time comes before they repent.  Jesus died for the forgiveness of sins for all of us.  Many just do not believe.

• 10 months later...

In Isaiah 52:15 it specifically states many nations and kings. So I feel that not only the Jewish nations are to be forgiven but for others as well.

I feel that we are to believe that this is a prophecy of Christ. I feel that these words were to be a vison of what was to take place at the crucifiction of Christ. I feel that it states very plainly that all nations were to be saved by the sacrifice of one.

In this age and time, I feel that there is more evil running wild then there are people who understand about the savation for our sin. I believe that the teachings of Christ are being forgotten by the masses. We are losing the battle of human rights in many ways. People are becoming much more self-centered and will not thing twice about the other guy. Life does not hold the same meaning as it once did. At one time life was considered a gift and today it is taken too easily.

• 3 weeks later...

In the passage of Isaiah 52:13 - 53:12, God removes not only the sins of the nation Israel but also takes away the sins of the world.

This universal sacrifice of salvation for all nations is seen in Isaiah 53:12, Jesus bore the sins of many, the entire world. He bore our infirmities and carried our sorrows, he was crushed and pierced for our iniquities. God's punishment that brought peace to us upon him.

God's punishment for our sins was upon Jesus. He suffered and died for our transgressions, he was glorified on the third day by raising from the dead. Those who do not come to Christ or refuse to acknowledge his accomplishment for our sins have wasted all that Christ has done for us. His ministry, preaching of the good news of the Kingdom of God, his death and resurrection are all wasted. They will see eternal disbandment from God and suffer eternal punishment in the lake of fire.       

• 5 months later...

Jesus bore the sins of many and God removed the sins of many nations.

Jesus removed the sins of the whole world.

We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us turned to his own way. (53:6)

• 3 months later...

All who believe in Him.  He will sprinkle many nations (Isaiah 52:15), will justify many (Is. 53:11), He bore the sin of many (Is 53:12)

Everyone  ​He laid on Him the iniquity of us all. (53:16), He takes away the sins of the world (John1:29)

His sacrifice made salvation possible for all however many will tragically  not choose Him.

God bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

• 2 months later...

Jesus came to remove sin from all nations ie people.

His is a universal sacrifice as absolutely nobody is excluded from it.

I would not say that He wasted His sacrifice on some people because He loves us all. Unfortunately due to the power of choice people do condemn themselves by not accepting the greatest love sacrifice of all time.

• 1 year later...

God removes the sins of the Gentiles as well as the Jews when He says, “many nations.  “Our transgressions” not only means ours now, but from the beginning of time until the end of the age, for those who belong to Him.  I don’t think it is wasted on people, for God knew His people in advance and He died to wash repentant sinner’s sins away.  His call is open for everyone but in His Sovereignty, He knew and knows who belong to Him. Only their sin is wiped away.

• 1 year later...
On 2/14/2003 at 12:12 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

It is written that many nations shall have their sins removed.  For as many as believe in Him and do His commandments they shall be saved.  It’s wasted on the unbelievers and the evil lest they shall be converted.  For they don’t believe on the only begotten Son of God, therefore they shall be damned.

• 10 months later...

The group of people does God remove sins in Isaiah 52:13 - 53:12 will be large upto "many nations" 52:15

Surely it is a universal sacrifice of salvation if we read Isaiah  53:12 "...… he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors."

Jesus' sacrifice wasted on some people as per Bible 

2 Corinthians - 4:
4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them. 
5 For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.

• 4 years later...

God remove sins from all people in this world who comes to Him. 2. This is a universal sacrifice of salvation in a sense JESUS suffered and died for all mankind. 3. JESUS sacrifice is wasted on people who do not acknowledge Him and continue doing things their way and sinning against Him.