JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

What is faith? Believing and trusting in something that you cannot see. Like gravity. Cant see it, feel it. But it is there and very real. Can we take credit for having faith. No. Faith is also a gift from God. When the man with the sick daughter came to Jesus and asked him to heal his sick daughter, Jesus said: "Do you believe I can do this?" The man replied: "Lord I believe help my unbelief." Jesus admonished his own diciples time and time again about their lack of faith. We are granted a measure of faith by God. Then God through the Holy Spirit "tests" us and helps to grow our faith. Can we be condemed for lacking faith. Condemed I dont believe so. Admonished or punished, yes. We have been given the mind of God though his written word, through his living word (himself/Jesus) and through his Holy Spirit. So not having faith, after learning who Jesus is, then accepting him as Lord and Savior then we through our actions tell God we dont believe him. We must be very careful with our faith. We must ask for growth and strengthening of our faith. To explain faith to a 10 year old: Again faith is believing in something that cannot be seen. I'd explain to the child Gravity. this is the example that I'd use. It is real, you can not ignore it, you cannot challenge it, you will get hurt if you ignore it. You cannot climb a tree and shimmy out on limb, hang from the limb and let go and expect to stay in the same place. You can have faith that gravity will work and you will be pulled down to the ground-quickly. If you throw a ball in the air it too will come back down. You cannot step off a roof and not expect to hit the ground. What goes up must come down. You can have "faith" that it will come back down. You can test it and see the results for your self. Same with God.

FAITH=Fantastic Adventure In Trusting Him.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Faith....for me personally, faith is a process that takes nurturing-tending to, if you will.... i began this journey, with the hope that faith would be a true "something".....to find out-as the seed took root, that it is a "big" something, today, after the planting of faith, the nurturing of faith, the pruning of faith, the result of all that to faith, I "DO" believe faith is connected tot the spirit inside of me, and when I "feed" my self the Word, my faith grows....similiar to what "miracle grow" does to plants...... Faith .... Thank GOD for teaching us about faith!

Faith....for me personally, faith is a process that takes nurturing-tending to, if you will.... i began this journey, with the hope that faith would be a true "something".....to find out-as the seed took root, that it is a "big" something, today, after the planting of faith, the nurturing of faith, the pruning of faith, the results of faith, I "DO" believe faith is connected to the spirit inside of me, and when I "feed" my self the Word, my faith grows....similiar to what "miracle grow" does to plants...... Faith .... Thank GOD for teaching us about faith!

• 1 month later...
Q4. What exactly is faith? Can we take credit for having it? Can we be condemned for lacking it? Define "faith" in terms a 10-year-old could understand.

Faith is a process that involves both the mind and the will. faith mean to believe with the mind that this gift of life is available through Chris .It a free will decision to say yes or no.All three are graciour gifts from God for which we can take no credit. Faith is the gift of God love for us.

• 4 weeks later...

Most simply put, faith is the evidence of things unseen, it is believing in something without physical proof. I don't think we can take full credit for having it, because all that we are comes from God, but we do have a choice in the matter. We can certainly be condemned for lacking it when God has shown us in so many ways every day of our lives that He provides all we need yet we still doubt Him. Putting faith into terms a 10-year-old could understand would probably be most easily illustrated by "have you seen the wind?"; no, obviously you can't see it, but you can see its' effects, you can feel it, you can hear it etc. You can't see air, but you have faith that it's there because you breathe it.

• 1 month later...

Q4. What exactly is faith?

Faith is believing God...His Word...and taking Him at His Word then acting upon it, which is almost always at odds with what we see, hear, and experience in our circumstances in this world.

Can we take credit for having it?

God gives to every man/woman a measure of faith. It's like a muscle..we all have a faith "muscle", but in order to grow, we must exercise it, through daily trust in God through trials and testing's. Unbelief causes it to shrivel.

Can we be condemned for lacking it?

Jesus rebuked disciples in scripture for their unbelief, and praised a Centurion and a Samaritan woman who had no knowledge of Scripture, yet who believed Jesus and took him at His Word. He marveled at their faith! Paul said "The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself in love"...and ..." whatever does not originate and proceed from faith is sin".Rom. 14:23b

Define "faith" in terms a 10-year-old could understand.

I would show the child a seed, then explain that God plants a seed of faith in each of us, and as we turn to Him and trust that He loves us when we go through hard things, the seed grows. We can't see it, but we know it's there by how much we love and trust Jesus. He can see how it's growing and waters it as we pray and ask for His help every day. He loves to see our faith grow, just as we love to see the green sprouts come out of the ground, then grow into beautiful flowers. Our "flowers" are the trust we have in Him, and the kindness and love we show to others and forgiveness for those who don't treat us well.

• 1 month later...

Q4.

What exactly is faith? Can we take credit for having it?

Faith is essentially believing and receiving the Word of God, and what God has revealed; it is a trust in God and in His Son, Jesus Christ. Faith is the exact opposite of trusting in ourselves, we start believing in the Lord Jesus Christ. We come to Jesus and tell Him that we no longer depend on ourselves or our own good works any longer, and that we can never make ourselves righteous before God. It is an attitude of the heart that depends not at all on our own merit but entirely on God

• 8 months later...

Q4. What exactly is faith? Faith is having the courage and stregth of conviction to place trust and reliance in something we cannot see. It is very difficult to take the first step, but as we step out the faith becomes easier and easier as we realise that God will not let us go.

Can we take credit for having it? No. Without God we would not have the ability to take that first step. Taking the example of a child leaping into his or her father's arms and trusting that the father will catch them, the child will not make the leap if the father isn't standing there beneath them. So with God, although we can't see Him, He is there and it is that which inspires our leap of faith

Can we be condemned for lacking it? Yes. We have to make the leap.

Define "faith" in terms a 10-year-old could understand. Faith is like pushing off from the side of a swimming pool for the first time wearing arm bands. You know that without the arm bands you will sink, but can you put your trust in the arm bands to keep you afloat.

• 1 month later...

Q4. What exactly is faith? Can we take credit for having it? Can we be condemned for lacking it? Define "faith" in terms a 10-year-old could understand.

Faith is believing and trusting in the unseen. We cannot take credit for it because it is the Holy spirit inside us and that is not possible without Christ. We can be condemned for it because we are given many signs and choices from God to trust and follow Him. Faith is believing in something you have not seen. Like its your b day you know you are getting presents even though you havent seen them you kno there coming.

4a)We are saved not by our own goodness,the holy spirit convicts us that we have fallen short, and that we are sinful,we have all had wrong thoughts and actions and no amount of our goodness will pay for that. God has given us the gift of grace through faith, but it is upto us whether we chose to accept he died for us. Faith is our response to his gentle drawing. b)If I lack faith I am not trusting but trying to be in control, rather than letting God lead by responding to the Spirits prompts for me to be or do as God instructed. c)Faith is accepting God

• 4 months later...

What exactly is faith?

Hebrews 11:1

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. I also translate that in to Fatih is not believing that God Can; it is believing that God Will.

In a way we can take credit for having it becasue God did give everyone a measure of faith. Yes, we can be condemned for lacking it becasue this means to me that you do not know God, believe or trust in him. What are you believing or have faith in. To a 10 year old child, I would explain it as when you get home from school you have faith that your Mom will have food for you to eat. When you have a birthday or a special day, you have faith that your parents will make it special for you with things you have been asking for.

• 5 months later...

Faith is an undoubted trust in the truth of God's Word, both written and spoke.

We cannot take credit for possessing faith as we are each given a measure of faith. In Romans 12:2 we are told that God has given to every man "the" measure of faith.

Jesus condemned the disciples when they were afraid and so lacked faith, "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?" Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm." Matthew 8:26

Faith is knowing that you have always been heard by your Father and that He is to always be trusted. Trusting God, having faith, makes Him happy. Even when we don't see things turning out as we think they should, by knowing that God has heard you, and will work everything out for the best, is faith.

We cannot take credit for possessing faith as we are each given a measure of faith. In Romans 12:2 we are told that God has given to every man "the" measure of faith.

Jesus condemned the disciples when they were afraid and so lacked faith, "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?" Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm." Matthew 8:26

Faith is knowing that you have always been heard by your Father and that He is to always be trusted. Trusting God, having faith, makes Him happy. Even when we don't see things turning out as we think they should, by knowing that God has heard you, and will work everything out for the best, is faith.

• 1 month later...

Faith is believing in the Word of God and trusting that he will do what he says he will do without wavering.

We can take credit for having it hundred percent.

We can be condemned for lacking faith because we all are given a measure of faith.

This is how I will define "faith" in terms a 10-year-old could understand. You and your family lives on the twelve floor of a high-rise building. The building catches fire. Your family managed to escape from the fire and went outside. They realized their 10-year-old is still in the building and your father started yelling out your name instructing you to jump through the window regardless of the blazing fire. Even though you do not know whether you can make it or not you trusted in your father's words and jump through the twelve floor window and landed safely in your father's open arms outside the building. That is faith in action. God may be calling you to do something in order to fulfill his plans and purposes for your life even though we do not know how we still have his Word. If Abraham (Genesis 12:1) could do it so can we.

Faith is believing in the Word of God and trusting that he will do what he says he will do without wavering (Hebrews 11:1)

Yes, we can take credit for having faith.

Yes, we can be condemned for lacking faith because we all are given the measure of faith.

This is how I will define "faith" in terms a 10-year-old could understand. You and your family lives on the twelfth floor of a high-rise and the building catches fire. Your family managed to escape from the fire and went outside. They realized their 10-year-old is still in the building and your father started yelling out your name instructing you to jump through the window regardless of the blazing fire. Even though you do not know how you can make it or not you trusted in your father's words and jump through the twelfth floor window and landed safely in your father's open arms outside the building.

That is faith in action. God may have a calling on your life in order to fulfill his plans and purposes in your life. In the natural it is impossible to fulfill God's calling on your life but in the spiritual God knows how to bring to pass his plans and purposes in your life. If Abraham could walk in faith so can we. He is the father of faith.

• 2 weeks later...

Faith is the believing in God when all else has fallen apart. We can't take credit for something that is a gift from God. He will give what is needed daily. Sometimes the only thing we can do is tie a knot at the end of our rope & hang on till God sends the help needed to be done. Therefore I don't think we can be condemmed for what human's think is a lack of faith. Faith is the defined by knowing something that will work even though it seems like it won't work.

Faith is the believing in God when all else has fallen apart. We can't take credit for something that is a gift from God. He will give what is needed daily. Sometimes the only thing we can do is tie a knot at the end of our rope & hang on till God sends the help needed to be done. Therefore I don't think we can be condemmed for what human's think is a lack of faith. Faith is the defined by knowing something that will work even though it seems like it won't work.

• 1 year later...

Faith is believing in something that you cannot see. We cannot take credit for having faith.

I have never thought about being condemned for lacking faith. I think that we can be condemned for lacking it because I think that we are all given the opportunity to have faith and some people just turn it down.

Faith is trusting in something that has not happened.

• 1 year later...

If I may quote a little from the amplified bible, Hebr. 11:1 "Faith is the assurance (the confirmation, the title deed) of things we hope for being the proof of things we do not see and the conviction of their [faith perceived as real fact what is not to the senses]" or perhaps it could be easier to say that faith is the leaning of the whole personality on God in complete trust and confidence.

I believe the next two questions can be answered at one time. The Holy Spirit convicts everyone at some time or another. Realizing wrongs in our life we accept the faith God gives us to believe. If we resist this conviction from God and His faith, then we will undoubtedly be condemned.

Defining faith to a ten year old - A child loves his or her parents, whom give them guidance in child hood. Told that their father is taking them to Disney Land for vacation. The child believes in their parent, that this will happen even though they have no proof it will happen.    

• 2 months later...

Faith is recognizing,our dependence our nothingness wihout Jesus.Faith is trusting and believing that Jesus Christ is our Lord and our Savior.

Faih is something that God has given to all of us.The Bible says in Romans 12:3 that God has alloted to ua a measure of faith.

I would define faith to a 10 year old as..TRUST and BELIEVE.

• 10 months later...

Faith is believing in something that we can not see, touch or hear in traditional senses. It is grasping a concept of the intangible and holding it very close to our hearts. I believe that each one of us has to develope our own faith. I believe that faith is a seed that is planted into the hearts of all of those that have been saved by God with grace. However, it is up to us to fertilize the seed and to water it regularly so that it grows into a beautiful plant. Not all the plants blosom the same way.

Faith reminds me of a poem by Emily Dickinson: I never saw a moor. This poem brought me to the understanding of faith when I was in Jr. High.

I never saw a moor,

I never saw the sea;

yet know I how the heather looks,

and what a wave must be.

I never spoke with God,

nor visited in heaven;

yet certain am I of the spot

as if the chart were given.

• 2 years later...
On 7/29/2006 at 6:43 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Seeing with our heart and not with our eye's.

No, "Faith comes from hearing and hearing from the word of God"

No, we cannot be condemned but it is up to us to draw closer to God so he can draw closer to us.

Faith is like sitting down in a chair....you have enough faith to know that when you sit down (with out thinking about it)that chair is going to hold you..that's Faith knowing with out thinking about it, that GOD IS ALWAYS THERE, just have faith.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q21. Faith
  • 2 months later...

Q21. (Ephesians 2:8-9) What exactly is faith?

Trust/ dependable in/ total belief in God/ Jesus

Can we take credit for having it?

Cannot take credit but our will must be involved, it is initiated by the Father/ Son and the Holy Spirit.

Yes. We are called to believe and I think we can be condemned for rejection.

Faith is just like trust in a dad’s ability to protect and proved the needs of the child.

What exactly is faith? Can we take credit for having it? Can we be condemned for lacking it? Define "faith" in terms a 10-year-old could understand.

We cannot take credit for anything. God is good and I'm alive to have faith because of Him. Everything is a gift!

Praise The Lord!

Condemned? Yes. He's giving us the opportunity to be saved. But even if He’s incredibly gracious, we can be incredibly proud and refuse to accept His gift. 

Faith: Knowing Jesus personally. As a friend. Letting Him change our lives.