JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Miracles and Faith

By my very existance, I am here by God's grace and love. The salvation of Christ has changed my life so much that words can't begin to express. I believe the signs and wonders of toda are the conditions of this world, all that was foretold in the Bible is or has come to pass. The distruction of this world, but in the mist of all that I see I do see healing, releashing of chains on the lives of so many people. There is still those things that hinder, like the lives of those that profess to be Christians that surcome to the enemies devises. I believe the book that brought forth signs and wonders is the Book of Acts.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Hebrews 2:3b-4) In what way has the truth of salvation been confirmed to you? Would signs and wonders help or hinder establishing the truth of Christ's ministry today? From which portion of the Bible have you formed your opinion of the value of signs and wonders today?

The truth of salvation has been confirmed to me by reading, and learning the Bibical truths form the Gospels. The Gift of te Holy Spirit has helped me. Everything that I read and has studied in the Old and New Testament has me beleiving in signs and wonders today. The Bible is fulfilling to me. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

The truth of my salvation has been confirmed by Christ dying and being crucified and raising on the 3rd day and now setting on the right hand of God on high.....His blood confirms my salvation. The Disciples walked with Christ and saw all kinds of wonders and miracles and still yet they didn't truly get it until after Christ was gone....so i don't think signs and wonders would establish anything; only faith alone can bring about what Christ came to earth to do. Don't get me wrong I believe in them all and there is a time and place for them...Christ tells us that we would do the same things He did and even greater......I have seen miracles myself in the miraclous healing of my daughter......so why is it if Christ tells us that we will do as He has done.....why aren't we seeing healings, lame walking, blind seeing, deaf hearing......etc.?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There was a time in my life when my husband and I were about to lose everything, house, car, etc. It was at my lowest moment, when I fell to my knees and just prayed for some sort of help. Just a few days later a very good friend gave us the money we needed to help save everything. Some will ask "If God exists why doesn't he perform miracles." I think he does, we just have to believe to see them. There was definately a miracle in my life. There is not just one portion of the Bible which has helped me to form my opinion. The Bible as a whole has done that.

• 2 months later...
Q4. (Hebrews 2:3b-4) In what way has the truth of salvation been confirmed to you? Would signs and wonders help or hinder establishing the truth of Christ's ministry today? From which portion of the Bible have you formed your opinion of the value of signs and wonders today?

In what way has the truth of salvation been confirmed to you?

The truth of salvation has been confirmed to me, in my own life, by immediate changes in myself--attitude and behavior both--at the time of my own salvation, as well as by changes brought about by God's grace over time. One immediate change was deliverance from smoking. Another was deliverance from a constant state of depression. A slower change was more tolerance for those of other cultures and beliefs, and another was having more patience with other people.

Would signs and wonders help or hinder establishing the truth of Christ's ministry today?

I believe signs and wonders always help to establish the truth of God's power, and help to activate and/or strengthen faith. As physical beings in a physical realm, we look for outward signs of everything, in order to confirm our feelings or tendencies to believe in something. It is natural for us to do this as humans. This is particularly true for those who are of the world, who have not yet come to a saving knowledge of Christ. Seasoned Christians, who are more accustomed to believing and acting on faith, do not generally require as much physical evidence of God's power, however, (although in times of great trial we might).

From which portion of the Bible have you formed your opinion of the value of signs and wonders?

I have fomed my opinion about the value of signs and wonders from parts of the New Testament in which Jesus and also his disciples performed miracles. Examples are healing, multiplying the loaves and fishes, the raising of Lazarus from the dead (to name just a few). I believe Jesus and his disciples performed these wonders and signs to draw people to them and to activate their faith.

There was a time in my life when my husband and I were about to lose everything, house, car, etc. It was at my lowest moment, when I fell to my knees and just prayed for some sort of help. Just a few days later a very good friend gave us the money we needed to help save everything. Some will ask "If God exists why doesn't he perform miracles." I think he does, we just have to believe to see them. There was definately a miracle in my life. There is not just one portion of the Bible which has helped me to form my opinion. The Bible as a whole has done that.

You make a good point. Miracles are all around us, if we just look for them. Another point I would like to make is that I believe God is always working in our lives, but many times in ways we do not recognize, because we are looking for something else. An example of this might be a woman praying for a husband, and not seeing the one God has for her right in front of her because in her mind he looks like something or someone else. We want what we want, as children, when God--our all-seeing parent--has something better for us, many times.

The truth of my salvation has been confirmed by Christ dying and being crucified and raising on the 3rd day and now setting on the right hand of God on high.....His blood confirms my salvation. The Disciples walked with Christ and saw all kinds of wonders and miracles and still yet they didn't truly get it until after Christ was gone....so i don't think signs and wonders would establish anything; only faith alone can bring about what Christ came to earth to do. Don't get me wrong I believe in them all and there is a time and place for them...Christ tells us that we would do the same things He did and even greater......I have seen miracles myself in the miraclous healing of my daughter......so why is it if Christ tells us that we will do as He has done.....why aren't we seeing healings, lame walking, blind seeing, deaf hearing......etc.?

You ask a good question: Why dont we see the miracles Christ said would happen? I think it is because we do not truly believe him, that they will happen. Jesus tells us, in Matt 17:20, "If you have faith as a grain of mustard seed you shall say unto this mountain, remove hence to yonder place and it shall be removed, and nothing shall be impossible unto you." So if we believe that, we will act on it and see the powerful results. There are some who do believe, but they are few. I attended (and had the privilege to participate in) a church, in Cincinnati, OH, in which such miracles took place. Even so, when they did, many skeptics arose who said they were faked and refused to believe them. So some will refuse to believe, thought miracles take place right in front of them. But for those who do not, these miracles attest to the present power of God, still active and alive in the world today.

The truth of salvation has been confirmed to me over and over in my life. I could have died when I was a baby, having been diagnosed with cancer, and coming down with that viral infection that damaged my brain stem and left me physically handicapped. But I lived. I see his mercy in every moment that I breathe, and I want to give back to him what he has given me. The truth of salvation has also been confirmed to me when I was a junior in high school. I was close to my English teacher - we were friends, and she is a strong Christian, lovely in every way, and her youngest brother drowned that summer in a rafting accident. It could have destroyed her and her family, but what saved them was that the young man had accepted Jesus as his personal Savior not too long before the accident that took his life. So my dear friend has the reassurance that she will see her brother again someday in heaven. That was the summer that I fully accepted Jesus and what he did for me and all of humanity.

I have scoliosis, and I saw God's mercy at work when I had my first spinal fusion when I was 14. I contracted a bad case of pneumonia, and could hardly breathe, but God breathed for me and I lived... I saw it again a few years ago when I was suffering from back pain and had another spinal fusion and afterwards when I was in a huge amount of pain because I had a pinched nerve. I screamed and cried everyday for 4 weeks straight, but at the same time I clung to God, believing that he will rescue me. And he did.

He has always rescued me, and I believe he always will...

• 2 weeks later...

When I take communion it gives me the assurance about my salvation, knowing that Jesus die on the cross for me and gave his body as a living sacrifice for me through the shedding of his blood for my sins. I think that signs and wonders helps established the truth of Christ's Ministry today. In the book of Joel, the prophet prophesied, AND IT SHALL COME TO PASS IN THE LAST DAYS, SAITH GOD. I WILL POUR OUT OF MY SPIRIT UPON ALL FLESH: AND YOUR SONS AND YOUR DAUGHTERS SHALL PROPHESY, AND YOUR YOUNG MEN SHALL SEE VISIONS, AND YOUR OLD MEN SHALL DREAM DREAMS. AND ON MY SERVANTS AND ON MY HANDMAIDENS I WILL POUR OUT IN THOSE DAYS OF MY SPIRIT, AND THEY SHALL PROPHESY. AND I WILL SHEW WONDERS IN HEAVEN ABOVE AND SIGNS IN THE EARTH BENEATH; BLOOD, AND FIRE, AND VAPOR OF SMOKE: THE SUN SHALL BE TURNED INTO DARKNESS, AND THE MOON INTO BLOOD BEFORE THAT GREAT AND NOTABLE DAY OF THE LORD COME: AND IT SHALL COME TO PASS THAT WHOSOEVER SHALL CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD SHALL BE SAVED JOEL 2:28-21. This passages of scriptures validate the truth of God showing through his sons and daughters that he will have it come to pass through prophesy and dreams of his glorious salvation towards all mankind through his signs and wonders.

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. (Hebrews 2:3b-4) In what way has the truth of salvation been confirmed to you?

The truth of salvation has been confirmed to me in so many ways, but here are some of them:

Firstly, the radical and instantaneous change in thinking in my own personal conversion; my desire to know the true and living God, to study His Word and be in His presence which was not present before. Watching as the Lord changed the lives of friends and family that also were born again. Then later in studying the lives of the precious saints who went before us, their courage and convictions even unto death, that could make sense only if they KNEW what they were dying for to be true, helped to solidify what I already knew in my heart. The history of nations who served the Lord verses those who were/are ruled by tyrants with false gods and the differences in peace, prosperity, freedom, respect for life and love for our fellow man, the rule of law and in education whether one is free to follow every avenue of discovery or restricted by a regime with an agenda as represented by those who serve/served God and those who didn't/don't.

Would signs and wonders help or hinder establishing the truth of Christ's ministry today?

I would simply ask, "did signs and wonders help or hinder establishing the truth of Christ's ministry in the day of the apostles"? It would certainly help now, just as it did then. The time of signs and wonders has not ceased as some claim. Why would we be less in need than those who physically walked with the Lord? Is there no further need of healing? Of course there is. Nobody will need healing in heaven. We are a continuation of the book of Acts. Jesus has not yet returned. He still desires that our faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

Co 2:4

"And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:"

ICo 2:5

"That your faith should stand in the demonstration of the Spirit and of power and not in the wisdom of men."

From which portion of the Bible have you formed your opinion of the value of signs and wonders today?

The two mentioned above, Joel 2, Ps. 103, Isaiah 53, Acts 10:38 and many, many more. The bible is replete with healing scriptures and coupled with the fact that God is no respecter of persons, it's an obvious conclusion.

• 2 weeks later...

The truth of salvation has been confirmed to me by reading God's word.

I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies." John 11:25

Seeing a miraculous sign or would definitely help establish the truth of Christ's ministry. Look at all the example in the Bible of Kings and others who didn't believe going out and proclaiming the Word of God after experiencing a miracle. Daniel's king, Shadrack, Meeshack, and Abendigo's king, Paul, Daniel's king, there are so many instances.

I've formed my opinion of the value of signs from the entire Bible. I lean towards the New Testament because of the manner of the miracles. But I believe and trust in the entire Word of God.

The truth of salvation has been confirmed to me by my own changed life. I have witnessed first hand Christ in me doing the good things I wanted to do before sanctification but was never able to do, and I have seen that the sins I was addicted to thinking and doing all the time, rarely occur. It is true that I am lead into sin still, but I no longer burn inwardly and even though these sins reveal the fact that I am weak, I do not feel weak. I believe this is the testemony of those in verse 3b the writer speaks of.

I believe signs and wonders would and do help establish the truth of Christ's ministry today.

Concerning the value of signs and wonders, I form my opinion from the gospels. More specifically, I noted that signs and wonders accompanied then and do today the preaching of the true gospel which is encapsulated in this title: "The kingdom of God is near. Repent and believe the good news." I believe God performs these signs and wonders in order to help listeners achieve repentance regarding the facts that a Christ was promised by God, that God does not lie, that Jesus is the Christ, and that God has the power to fulfill His promises. By achieving this repentance, listeners gain access to God's kingdom and are given rebirth and gifted repentance unto salvation.

• 2 weeks later...

1)The Holy Spirit has witnessed to my spirit that I'm a child of God...born again, as it says in Romans 8:16 Also by my changed life...I've been brought out of darkness into light, from death to life, with new desires, a renewed mind. He's given me gifts to minister to the Body of Christ and the gift of evangelism to share His love with those who don't yet know Him and haven't yet experienced His love.

2)Signs and Wonders are evident today, and I believe they do help establish the truth of Christ's ministry...signs and wonders follow the preaching of the gospel. Physical healing of my injured back and a diagnosis of cancer, which was found to be benign, followed my salvation experience. And actually, the miracle I experienced of the birth of our first baby, nearly 9 lbs. with no pain and who was born in less than an hour with no labor, prepared my heart to recieve Christ when I did hear the gospel later on.

3)From the entire Bible...All scripture is God breathed, and "what was written in former days was written for our instruction, that by our steadfast and patient endurance and the encouragement drawn from the Scriptures we might hold fast to and cherish hope"..Rom 15:4

• 1 month later...

The truth of salvation has been confirmed to me through God's Word, through the teaching and actions and others as the Holy Spirit has worked through them. The more I practice spiritual disciplines the more the truth of salvation is real to me.

I believe we have signs and wonders every day if we really stay tuned to God and His word.

I believe all of the Bible leads to forming my opinion relative to the truth of salvation. :P

because I have not been justly punished for my transgressions and disobedience

Maybe both, it would help by allowing people to see how miraculous God is, but it hinders to because you are supposed to have faith

Furthermore it seems to me like when signs and wonders were performed before Jesus was born if you didn't follow the Law you died very soon

And there are signs and wonders that happen at various times, places, and to various people

• 4 weeks later...

The truth of salvation has been confirmed to me through God's Holy Word, through the testimony of others and through the peace and joy that I experience in my walk with God.

Have signs and wonders ceased? I know that there are those who believe they have. I don't believe that. There are still signs and wonders but you have to be careful not to be deceived by the enemy. I also think you have to be careful because our tendency might be to worship the signs and wonders and not Jesus Christ.

From which portion of the Bible have you formed your opinion of the value of signs and wonders today?

When I read the book of Acts, it thrills my heart to read of the early church living in harmony, filled with awe with the wondrous and miraculous signs, sharing all they had, daily worshiping together and sharing meals with thankful hearts. The Message says that people in general liked what the saw and everyday their numbers grew. I can't help thinking how it has changed. It is the church that has changed, not God. I think that the church in general today is hindered by a lack of belief and faith.

• 2 weeks later...

By the holy sprit coming upon me when I was saved and I began to speak in another tongue. For me it was a help because I was able to feel his presence take over me. I was not in control. Regarding the signs I just think about prayer and how I will ask for something and he blesses me with it.

Sharon

• 3 weeks later...

In Gods Word it has very apparent to me that there is a very distint difference between head and heart knowledge. A verse in scripture states that even satan and the demons know that Christ is the Son of God and tremble. This is that they had head knowledge and still choose to not acted on Gods word so they are lost, they know the truth yet turn away and choose not to accept Christ and do what God wants. I had thought that I was saved about 25 years ago I have come to the realization that all I had was a head knowledge. I have recieved the Glorious Salvation That God has given me thru our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Eveyone who has known me for agood period of time see's if thier words a complete difference in me, that I have totally changed. It is only thru God the Father And our Lord Jesus Christ that I have become a new person. As scriptue saysafter we have been saved we put off the old and everything becomes as new.

I believe that if you look at scripture and see whats going on today and the prophetic statments that have been fullfilled you can easily see that it is written and coming true before us, and yet alot of family ,friends and people I know are perishing and I fell that I'm falling very short of what I should be doing as far as witnessing to them and sharing the Gospel with them.

I have formed my opions from both the old and new testaments, especially the day of penticost and the book of Acts and Revelation

• 3 months later...

19 years back when I was a 24 year old youth a person told me about Jesus Christ and about his plan of Salvation and on that day it self I accepted Jesus as mu Lord and Saviour .When I did this an emptiness which was in me moved away and the peace of God which surpasses all understanding came into my heart.

Especially in a Country like India I live among people who serve 3000 crores of Gods,to attest to the truth of the Gospel miracles are needed. I formed my opinion abut the value of signs and wonders from Mark 16:19-20,Works of Jesus and Apostles

• 2 months later...

The truth of salvation has been cofirmed to me through supernatural miracles that in no way could have come from anywhere but from God himself. He has shown to me many times and in undeniable ways time and time again that He is real and so is His salvation.

What greater signs are there in establishing God's truth in the ministry of Christ as Savior than when you see people who were far away from God, didn't care anything about pleasing God, and then to find salvation in God and to testify without shame but with great excitement and passion to anyone who dare to listen about God's love and mercy. I say again, what greater sign is there than these.

I would have to say what convinced me was Exodus 14, the parting of the Red Sea, when the Israelites were being pursued by the Egyptian army.

• 2 weeks later...

We cannot afford to be indifferent to Jesus' teachings, what has been passed on to us by the bible, with signs and wonders and miracles, also the gifts of the holy spirit given to those who believe - how wonderful, it is, to have a triune God, Father, Son and Holy spirit. You wouldn't want anything else but salvation to be able to see God's face, and a new Heaven, and earth, we keep partaking of communion until the day he comes, remembering of his sacrifice for us. To be on guard and not stray in these current times.

• 2 months later...

Q4. (Hebrews 2:3b-4)

It was only when I read about the supremacy of Christ; the fact that our salvation comes only through our Lord Jesus; and that salvation is about Jesus rescuing us from the wrath to come; had the truth about salvation sunk in. In the light of eternity, things that seem important now, will shrink into oblivion. Every one of us is in imminent danger of facing that wrath, and therefore salvation is our greatest need.

God used signs and wonders in the past to confirm the gospel. I

• 1 month later...

By what way has the truth of salvation been confirmed to me?

I just finished a study on the life of Moses. In it we covered much of Exodus through Deuteronomy. My take away was that God performed miracles and gave many signs to the Hebrews. He didn't stop there. He told them He did this, reminded them He did this and then reminded them some more. Often the Lord's words the accompany such reminder go something like this: "I did this so you might know I am the LORD your God." Deut 29:6b although it could have come from a number of passages.

So my most recent take on being shown truth was through an in depth study of the life of Moses. In it God showed me just how big He really is in creating a nation yet He has the omnipresence to care about my salvation.