JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Miracles and Faith

Q4. (Hebrews 2:3b-4) In what way has the truth of salvation been confirmed to you? Would signs and wonders help or hinder establishing the truth of Christ's ministry today? From which portion of the Bible have you formed your opinion of the value of signs and wonders today?

When I can look back over my life and see where I have come from and how the Lord Jesus has brought me some rough times. I know that my salvation is confirmed. I should be dead without hope of eternal life. But God patiently waited on me to turn to Him and asked to be saved. Some people still would not believe signs and wonders. They have to look at it scientifically, but I know for a fact that signs and wonders are still being done today. I saw an angel sent by God to help me. Matter fact it was more than one time one was sent. Psalm 91 was introduced to me when I was 19 years old and I have lived by it ever since. I am now 47 and no one can tell me different. I have raised my children on Psalm 91.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Hebrews 2:3b-4) In what way has the truth of salvation been confirmed to you? Would signs and wonders help or hinder establishing the truth of Christ's ministry today? From which portion of the Bible have you formed your opinion of the value of signs and wonders today?

My salvation has been confirmed by Gods`word thru the Lord Jesus Christ.Signs and wonders have been used to help build faith, I believed without seeing signs or wonders but God has revealed to me signs and wonders thru out my life. I feel most humble and excited too when they happen. I believe that is given too assure me or to strengthen my faith. I do not think that an all out showing of a wonder or sign would help establish Christs ministry but I do believe that seekers of Christ do receive signs and or wonders. In John 20 vs 29 Jesus says"Thomas, because you have seen Me you believed, Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." Signs and wonders have been given from the beginning of time. From creation, Genesis 1 vs 14 and all the signs and wonders that came with Moses right up to Jesus and all the wonders and signs He did, even till the end of time God tells us there will be signs. For myself each sign and wonder I have read about has value, all are important. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

John 20:29 Jesus encourages those who believe in Him without ever having seen Him. We believe other historic figures were alive because there were people who saw them and wrote about them. Same thing for Jesus. He was with certain groups of people and His stories have been told over and over again throughout generations. I believe the Bible and I know without a doubt that Jesus is who He says He is.

Jesus would not just ask for me to believe in Him by those words. He wanted to be in my heart as well, so I allowed Him in. If I weren't absolutely certain before I let Him in, I was absolutely certain after Jesus came to live in my heart. Because Jesus is VERY REAL, I see things in my life differently, I handle pain and suffering differently, I am more compassionate to others, I can "see" things more clearly for myself and others. I discern things because Jesus wisdom helps me. How can I have the wisdom of Jesus? Read His word, Pray, Listen for His voice, Keep a clear conscience, do unto others........

• 1 month later...

The truth of salvation has been confirmed to me by hearing God's word, reading God's word, knowing that the words were spoken by Jesus himself, and the Holy Spirit dwelling in me as witness. Signs and wonders will help the true believer. For those that are luke warm and unbelief, I don't think it would help. For some it might.I have formed my opinion on the whole Bible. Through out the Bible there are signs and wonders for today.

• 2 weeks later...

He can do wonders whenever He wants but He does not like us to aks for them.

Once, He told that the people have had wonders enough but that they just did not wanted to see them.

There is a song. "Jesus love me, for the Bible tells me so".

Those apostels lived and died for Him.

Their testimony must be true.

Nobody lets himself being crucified or burned or stoned for a lie.

2:3 says that we have the testimony of eye witnesses that the gospel is true.

2:4 says that Hashem proved those witnesses it is true by signs and wonders and mighty doings and giving the talents of the spirit.

Jesus tells us not to ask for miracles.

"38 Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee. 39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas" (Matthew 12:38-39).

• 1 month later...

Tough question. The Revelation of God's Word. The presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives. God's existence shown through the created order. We need more signs and wonders in this world today. Jude stated that we should content for the faith once delivered to the saints.. That active faith would bring signs and wonders.

• 4 months later...

In addition to the record left us in the Word of God confirming the truth of salvation - there have been major changes and improvement in my personal life that are a definate indication to me of these truths.

Signs and wonders are yet a great help to establishing the truth of Christ's ministry today - because as in the past when these signs and wonders were manifested it resulted in the people turning their attention to God and on many cases surrendering to and accepting God's plan of salvation.

My opinion has been formed and reinforce through the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John) and the Book of Acts.

B)

For me, the Holy Spirit keeps me digging in God's word. The Holy Spirit causes me to want to not sin. The Holy Spirit teaches me. The Holy Spirit convicts me when I do sin. I dont think signs and wonders would help establish the truth today. God draws me to Him by the Holy Spirit.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Answer-The truth of Salvation was confirmed to me by the WORD of GOD.The Word says,if I put my Faith and confess that God has sent His Son to become man,was crucified and died,resurrected and ascended in heaven,and believe on Christ Lordship,then I am save:

Romans 10:9(Amplified)- Because if you acknowledge and confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and in your heart believe (adhere to, trust in, and rely on the truth) that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

Acts 16:31(Amplified)- And they answered, Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ [[a]give yourself up to Him, take yourself out of your own keeping and entrust yourself into His keeping] and you will be saved, [and this applies both to] you and your household as well.

Signs and Wonders,could definitely help Christ

My life experience is that we do not recognize signs and wonders when we see them. A church leader was diagnosed with a kind of cancer; 6 months to live. He was a youth leader and it was youth night when he found this out. many people in the church came together and cried and prayed and gnashed their teeth and wept and called out to the Lord. Two days later, more specific diagnostic tests were run and the cancer was found to be dormant. Everyone was relieved that the first diagnosis had been wrong. No one wondered in awe at the power of God answering prayers of the faithful.

in the Bible, the children of God are delivered from Pharaoh. They witness the Red Sea part for them and swallow up their enemy. Yet a week later, they grumble and believe that God had abandoned them in the wilderness. What lasting spiritual value was the miracle?

The pharisees do not doubt Jesus signs and wonders; they argue that he is possessed by evil spirits.

For me, the Holy Spirit keeps me digging in God's word. The Holy Spirit causes me to want to not sin. The Holy Spirit teaches me. The Holy Spirit convicts me when I do sin. I dont think signs and wonders would help establish the truth today. God draws me to Him by the Holy Spirit.

I agree. In this age we expect science to explain how a thing happened and if it fails, we have faith that science will someday give the answer. It is the Holy Spirit that helps us break thru the fog of cultural, natural world presuppositions and gives us the eyes to see the spirit reality

• 1 month later...

I have the Comforter with me, and He teaches me, and lets me know when I mess up.

Signs and wonders would only serve to entertain the masses. Humanity would want more signs and wonders, and less of Jesus.

In the gospels, where Jesus is healing, and driving out demons, there are more and more people following Him. Some want their share, some want to criticize(sp), and some are just observing. And, of course, some are receiving salvation.

• 2 weeks later...

I grew up up from a child with speaking in tongues, miracles, people being healed--including myself, people being set free and made whole. Truly amazing So I have never doubted my salvation and have always been in awe of what God can do and what and awesome God He is. Signs and wonders are a normal part of our Christian walk and we should expect no less from our God who is so lovely and awesome. I realize we must be aware of the counterfeit that comes along but not get to hung up on that. Joh 4:48--there are seasons when we may not see or witness signs and wonders but we still believe

Heb 2:4

Rom 15:19

Act 14:3

• 2 months later...

Truth of salvation has been confirmed by the eyewitness of Jesus ministry. It was past down and recorded in the Bible. I believe in the scriptures, so that is confirmation for me. Also, truth of salvation was confirmed by the miracles of God.

I think signs and wonders will do both. a)Hinder because signs and wonders were used for the unbeliever. We believers know and believe God's word and do not need signs and wonders. b)Help for the unbeliever. Sometimes it takes a sign to prove to them God is real. Problem I have with this is that there are so many pretenders in the world today. Those that say they have healing power etc but don't. One life could be ruined if you don't know the word

Several scriptures speaks of signs and wonders-Ex:7:3; Acts 5:12, Jn 4:48

• 3 months later...

The truth of our salvation should be confirmed first by the truth of God's word and then by the indwelling Holy Spirit. Relying on these dual confirmations keeps me from basing the assurance of salvation on how I "feel" or whether the circumstances in my life are as I wish or something less than that. Signs and wonders are real and, to me, are the extra confirmations that God so graciously chooses at times to reveal.

• 1 month later...

It may be a bit cliche' but: God said it, I believe it and that settles it. Before salvation the weight of the world was so much more than was bearable. Now I have a Savior who carries by burdens with me....we are yoked together.

Signs and wonders were seen in Jesus' day by some, including the religious leaders of the day, as being works of the Devil. There will always be skeptical people just as there will be people who believe heart and soul that Jesus is Lord. As mankind continues to grow intellectually, man will more and more ignore the miracles, signs, and wonders. In OT times when superstition was more prevelant, signs, wonders, and miracles were more easily accepted. Maybe that is why they are not as recognizable today. I believe that every day holds God's miracles but few see them.

• 4 months later...

4. The truth of salvation has been confirmed to me by the word of God and the things that He is doing and has done in my life; along with the eyewitness accounts recorded throughout the Bible.

Signs and wonders make a major difference in the ministry of Christ. Believers know that God does the same signs and wonders He did during the Biblical times. In fact believers can do even greater works under the guidance of His Holy Spirit. Non-believers don’t have the same truth and revelation that believers have because of their disbelief. In this sense, signs and wonders can change them to believers, or they could refuse to believe. We must believe that He is and we must repent from sin.

For me, the four gospels and the Book of Hebrews clearly tell of the life of Christ and the things He did. The entire Bible is about Him and God’s plan of salvation for sinful man. I believe the signs and wonders of Jesus being a virgin birth; that He lived, died, and rose from the grave on the third day; He is the Son of the one and only true living God the Father, Creator of heaven and earth.

• 5 months later...

I was saved in a miracle crusade where signs and miracles happened before my very eyes, being a muslim, that was the only way I could believe in the Son of God as the only Saviour.

And as it is revealed in the gospels, signs and the conviction of the Holy Spirit in the heart of the sinner are means that convince people to acept the gospel. Acts 15:12.

• 11 months later...

The truth of salvation has been confirmed to me. God touch my heart to receive God's promises, truth and faithfulness.

It is salvation, so great that no other can compare with it; so great that none can fully express, nor yet conceive, how great it is. It is a great salvation that the gospel discovers, for it discovers a great Saviour who give his life for me, one who has manifested God to be reconciled to my nature, and reconcilable to me; it shows how I may be saved from sin and misery, and be restored to holiness and happiness. The gospel discovers to me a great sanctifier, to qualify me for salvation and to bring me to the Saviour. The gospel unfolds a great and excellent dispensation of grace, a new covenant; the great charter-deed and instrument is settled and secured to all those who come into the bond of the covenant, that is, the Lord Jesus Christ, who is Jehovah, the Lord of Life and glory, Lord of all, and possessed of unerring and infallible wisdom, infinite and inexhaustible goodness, unquestionable and unchangeable veracity and faithfulness, absolute sovereignty and authority, and irresistible power. This great Lord of all was the first who began to speak it plainly and clearly, without types and shadows as it was before he came in my life. Now surely it may be expected that all will reverence this Lord, and take heed to a gospel that began to be spoken by one who spoke so as never man spoke.

God is good Ps. 145.9, as are His purposes and everything He does. God is sovereign Ps. 103.19, so there's nothing that is outside of his control., God promises believers that he will work all things together for their good Rom.8:28., God keeps his promises 2 Cor.1:20,These facts form a framework that can help us as we seek to understand the Lors's presence in every situation.

• 2 months later...

The way that the truth of salvation has been confirmed to me is through the Bible and by the word that has been brought to me by the preaching of the word. I have seen the miracles of God and have read about them. The same signs and wonders that have always been in this world help establish the truth of Christ’s ministry today.

If I need to pick a portion of the Bible that have formed my opinion of the value of signs and wonders today it would be the New Testament and especially the four Gospels.

• 2 years later...

The truth of  salvation has been confirmed to me by the gospel, Christ death and resurrection, his miracles and most of all the fulfillment of the promise of the Holy Spirit, in my life, at my conversion, a baptism of the Spirit.

Signs and wonders would help Christ ministry rather than hindering it. By these signs, wonders and miracles Christ has demonstrated that he had the power to heal and forgive sins on earth. God the Father also confirmed these signs and wonders by speaking from heaven at Jesus baptism, by the transfiguration of Jesus on the mountain with Peter, James and John presence, most of all Christ ascended into heaven after his resurrection from the dead. In the world of today signs and wonders done by some still prove that the Lord is still working among us.

The portion of the bible that has formed my opinion of the value of signs and wonders today is in John 14:12-14. Jesus says "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father. And what ever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything in My name, I will do it". Not all denominations believe in signs and wonders, but these things show the power and authority of the Lord Jesus Christ and his works through his disciples, yes, even today.         

• 2 years later...

Answer: (4a.)   God has testified to it through signs, wonders and various miracles and gifts of the Holy Spirit. (4b.)  I would like to believe that signs and wonders would help towards the establishment of Jesus's truthful ministry, however I see no difference in the hearts of many today than during the Exodus out of Egypt.  Peoples hearts are as hardened as they were back then as they are now. Their faith and beliefs must be strengthened through God's truth and word in order for them to believe in the signs and wonders of Christ.  (4c.)  I particulary like the Book of Exodus as my opinion of the value and signs and wonders of today.  Even though they are there for them to take heed to, the need for more signs from God to increase their belief and faith still go unnoticed and has fallen on deaf ears   

• 9 months later...

Signs and wonders, as performed in the New Testament were done so that people would see and believe in Jesus the Christ.  It was a time when the church was being established and to show man that God is real and that they should believe and repent of their sins and turn to Him. The 12 disciples were told by Christ, upon his assent back to heaven , to go to Jerusalem and wait and the Holy spirit would fall on them there to confirm this. Acts 2 is where the church begin by people witnessing the disciples tell of the gospel of Christ and believing in the signs and wonders performed by them, then confessing and repenting and being baptized and everyone who believed confess repented was baptized, was added to the church by God.  We have the written word now, given to  inspired men by the Holy Spirit, which is God's word, therefor signs and wonders are no longer needed.  God never intended for them to last forever... God performs miracles and wonders in the lives of his people who worship him and keep his commandments and walk in his word and do his will!!! Everyday the sun comes up is a miracle and the earth is full of signs and wonders for us to see his gory and believe!!