JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Value of Suffering

Q1. (Hebrews 2:9) In what ways did Jesus suffer during his life and death? In what ways are we likely to suffer? Does suffering have any value? What happens when we live in such a way to avoid all suffering?

Jesus suffered during His life and death in the following ways;

1. ) He was ostracized by His own family for His desire to be 'about His father's work'

2. ) He was grief stricken at the lack of faith of the Jewish people.

3. ) He was discounted by His hometown neighbours.

4. ) He was grieved at the death of a friend, Lazarus.

5. ) He suffered physical abuse at the hands of those who claimed to know God.

6. ) He suffered deeply in His soul when separated and rejected by His heavenly father.

How are we likely to suffer?

1.) Rejection and ridicule

2. ) We may suffer physical abuse and perhaps even death for our faith in Jesus Christ in some places

Does suffering have value?

I suppose it does but I'm not really sure how. I don't really think God wants us to suffer at all. I really don't think that we can avoid suffering, if we are sick we suffer, if a loved one is sick, we suffer. I don't think that there is really any way around it.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was ridiculed by many and is rejected by many still. He had to experience humiliation and suffering of death for all people. He was ridiculed throughout His life . He sacrificed His Life for us and was made lower than the angels. We will be ridiculed and mocked for following Jesus also. By standing strong and having faith in Jesus Christ we can be strength for the weary as Jesus is for us. We will be tempted in many ways but by the blood of the Lamb we can be overcomers. Just being a human, we can not live without suffering of some kind. A good sign for us to grow stronger by calling on Jesus for strength to put it ( Satan) under our feet. Through suffering we grow spiritually.

Jesus suffered insult; slander; denial; humiliation; physical suffering and pain; emotional and spiritual suffering and pain; betrayal; loneliness; sorrow for the Jews; temptation and suffering that we might not know or understand.

We are likely to suffer sorrow for the unsaved; insult; slander; persecution for Christ's sake; bertrayal; temptation; loneliness; physical suffering and pain; humiliation; and even death.

Suffering helps to identify with Jesus. Suffering is a form of giving of one's self for something greater that our selves. Suffering humbles us and acts as a means for developing a closer relationship with God. Suffering helps us to be more merciful and empathic to others. Suffering leads to spiritual growth and a greater capacity to give love to others around us.

By avoiding all suffering we miss the opportunity for important spiritual growth and a closer relationship with God and what he purposes for us. Suffering in general is actually good for the soul - it helps fuel love for others.

Q1. (Hebrews 2:9) In what ways did Jesus suffer during his life and death? In what ways are we likely to suffer? Does suffering have any value? What happens when we live in such a way to avoid all suffering?

In what ways did Jesus suffer during his life and death?

He suffered pain, shame, loneliness, rejection, redicule, temptation, persecution to name a few

In what ways are we likely to suffer?

We are likely to suffer the same and if not more because of the nature of time. I perceive that we can even be stoned, the bible taken away from us, not to mention His name

Does suffering have any value?

Yes

What happens when we live in such a way to avoid all suffering?

We miss out on spiritual growth and closeness with God- we are pruned thru suffering to fully understand how and what He himself have suffered for us so that we can love him more. If we look at all the patriots in the bible and Jesus himself they all at one time suffer But God brought through

He suffered physical pain, loneliness (Father, why hast thou forsaken me), sadness for those lost, percecution.

We have the same feelings - such as is man (or woman).

Yes. If we were to avoid suffering, we would likely lose our appreciation for all good things.

During his life Jesus as human suffered temptation and persecution. During his death he suffered death. We are also likely to suffer temptation and persecution because of concious of God.

Yes, suffering has any value. The suffering come to us in order to prove the genuineness of our faith and make our faith perfect so that it results in praise, glory, and honor for us when Christ come back again.

When we live in such a way to avoid all suffering, we live not according to his purpose and plan, so that when his second coming happen we may get none of rewards and even we lose our salvation, our eternal life.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the ways that Jesus suffered during His life and death are:

A.) He was ostracized by His own family for His desire to be "about His father's work"

B.) The lack of faith of the Jewish people bothered HIm.

C.) His neighbours in His home town laughed at HIm and said He was "just" the son of a carpenter.

D.) He grieved over the death of one of His friends, Lazarus.

E.) He suffered downto His very soul when He was separated and rejected by His Father in heaven.

How are we likely to suffer?

a.) We can be rejected and ridiculed by people we know.

ib.) There are places in the world today that people are killed for their belief in Jesus Christ.

Does suffering have value?

this is a good question, some people say no pain, no gain, but I think that sufferig is overrated. I don't want to suffer anymore than I have too with the everyday suffering that we do as human beings. I dont know if God wants His people to suffer or not. This is a question that brings to mind the age old question about when tribulation will happen.

Q1. (Hebrews 2:9) In what ways did Jesus suffer during his life and death?

Rejection, denial, physical abuse, the death of a friend. All of these and more were suffered by Jesus, but I think he suffered more when His Father turned his back on him when He was made to be sin on the Cross.

We don

Separation from his father is a natural suffering I as a human would think of. Separation from his home in heaven. Jesus taking on the form of man went through the daily struggles of life knowing the experiences he once had as the son of God. He then suffered rejection of man, percussion, beatings, humiliation. All the while he could have call for the angels to help him, yet he chose to go through it so that we might be saved. Though he died for the world he understood that not all men would accept what he did for them. This is not an easy thing to know you are dying for some who will still reject all that you have given for them.

We also want to be in Heaven with our Father and with our Savior, rather we are here on earth. Not doing what we may like to because we understand that it may not please God. If we express our belief in God, or explain how we are saved through the blood of Jesus we may be laugh at, fired from our jobs, rejected by or friends, family, or neighbors.

Psalms 119: 67 tells how suffering teaches us to keep God

Q1. (Hebrews 2:9) In what ways did Jesus suffer during his life and death? In what ways are we likely to suffer? Does suffering have any value?

Jesus would suffer many things, would be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes, He will be killed, but priase God! He was raised from the dead, fulfilling the scriptures and bringing us salvation. Jesus came as the suffering servant; so that He can come as King of Kings, Lord of Lords in the Last days. The disciples did not understand this, they were looking for the King to rule now. It was after His resurrection and the promise of the Holy Spirit that they truly understand who Jesus is, the Christ sent from God. We also must be filled with the Holy Spirit, to be bold and strong when adversity comes our way! Jesus, filled with the Spirit, made it clear - to follow Him could also include suffering and hardship. This gift of salvation is not to be taken lightly. It is not free, for it was paid with suffering by God Himself.

God commands we Love Him first, "love" suffers long and is kind. Jesus is our example, how did He handle unjust suffering? His last words on the cross was of forgiveness. He is the light for us, He is our strength in times of need.

We are not "truly" putting our trust in Him. We as a body of believers, the church, we suffer when others suffer, we all rejoice when another is honored. We are to put our lives in Gods hand, especially in the midst of suffering, always recognizing that He is the faiathful Creator, He is in control of all things. He will not give us more than we can handle (1Cor. 10:13) Keep on our lips at all times, Praise to you Almighty God.

1Peter 4:14 If ye are reproached for the name of Christ, blessed are ye; because the Spirit of glory and the Spirit of God resteth upon you.

Jesus suffered betrayal, disbelief on the part of most of the Jewish people. He was taunted, chased, laughed at, called crazy, even by his family....Jesus suffered even unto death and a horrible one at that. As guilty, when truly innocent.

We suffer to, when others refuse to believe us, when we watch sin abound, when we see so many lost and hurting and not knowing the way out. We suffer rejection. We suffer temptation. We fight our flesh, that hurts too. Suffering however toughens us. We become stronger because of it. We learn to stand up under trial and temptation. And through it all we know we aren't alone, because Jesus went first, stood the test, bore our pain even to the death and when He ascended, He sent us help in the form of the Holy Spirit. We would not, nor couldn't appreciate what He did for us, if it came without cost to ourselves. Jesus loved me. He suffered for me. He died, for me....Thank you Jesus

He was born in a stable and laid in a drinking trough for farm animals. Then he lived in relative obscurity until it was time for his earthly ministry to begin. When it did, he was ridiculed, rejected, despised, and challenged by the heirarchy of the Jewish upper eschelon. Finally, he was torchured publically and killed in the most humiliating manner in the culture of the day. All the while knowing that he was the Son of the Creator of the Universe. He chose the nails on our behalf...it is an unspeakably precious gift!

I believe we can expect to suffer in many if not all of the same ways that our Lord suffered. In particular, rejection, ridicule, and abandonment of those whose loyalties are in the world.

It absolutely does, in fact, many times it is the very thing that causes us to seek the face of God at all. In suffering we see our need in a way that 'the good times' lends us to forget our need of a Savior. Suffering keeps us knowing that it is impossible to live the life we are called to as Christians without our Triune God. I'm learning the value of 'praising in the storm' for it causes me to focus on my Savior and not the circumstance.

Our lives become very long with very shallow roots. Much like the tumble weed that dies and gets uprooted them gets bound up in a barbed-wire fence somewhere alone and wxposed to the elements.

Jesus suffered in the following ways during His life and death.

1] His own blood family didn't believe in Him.

2] Lack of faith by the Jewish people

3] He wept over Jerusalem at their disbelief

4] Wept at Mary's disbelief when He told her He would raise Lazarus from the grave.

5] Was in great mental anguish in the Garden of Gethsemene and sweated drops of blood

6] He was betrayed by Judas

7]He had a crown of thorns forced on His head

8] He was mocked and ridiculed by the Roman guards as they slapped Him and spit in His face

9] He endured 39 lashes with a cat of nine tails

10] He was denied by Peter and the rest of the disciples deserted Him (except for John)

11] Finally, He suffered a cruel, angonizing death upon a cross.

We are likely to suffer for our faith by being ridiculed and rejected by those that are of the world.

Also many suffer physical violence, imprisonment, and even death for their faith.

Suffering has value because it causes us to grow in our faith.

Suffering causes us to become closer to our Lord.

As Christians we shouldn't avoid suffering.

If Christ was willing to suffer and die that we might obtain salvation, then it is only right that we be willing to suffer for Him.

:rolleyes: I used to think that suffering came from God punishing us for our sins, since I became a Christian I realize why God lays out all these test and trials. To prepare us for life and to strengthen our faith. So suffering does have its benefits. We learn how to go the God and to trust in him and not our own understandings of why we suffer. Jesus suffered because no one believed in him, and that must have been very hard for him to see.

• 3 weeks later...

These are really tough questions to answer and many books have been written on suffering by both Christians and non Christians, so I am sure not one of us understands the depths of suffering that our Lord went through nor what some of us go through in suffering, but I

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Persecution, antagonism, temptation (but never sin), being labeled and judged, the horrific physical suffering of the cross, and the acts surrounding the cross (as the case for Christ book entails they had to create a word “excruciating” to describe the measure of pain experienced on the cross).

Then tasting death for us, Jesus faced the pain of manifold rejection i.e. from us, and His Father, having the sin of the world thrust upon Him he became a curse (see Galatians).

In what ways are we likely to suffer? Does suffering have any value?

Our suffering varies from case to case, it is likely we will experience rejection from people at times, and the fight against sin will bring pain (Heb 12:4), relationship breakdowns, and health problems, financial strife most will face at times. Death is going to be faced by all-except if Christ returns before it comes.

Hebrews 12 makes it clear that we are to endure hardship as God’s discipline, Jesus was perfected through suffering (Heb 2:10) and God does a mighty work in us, letting us share His holiness through experiencing hardship, so yes suffering has value. And suffering gives us understanding, we can comfort those going through trials because we have been comforted by God in ours (2 Cor 1ff) Jesus’ suffering as a human gave Him understanding, and so in His high priestly role He has great sensitivity to our plight-mercy in a word.

To avoid suffering is to avoid part of God’s process of sanctification, and to avoid understanding. It would mean becoming a hermit, hiding from the church and the world- and thus fail to love and obey Christ.

Jesus suffered in every way that we could suffer. He suffered being lied on, being talked bad about, laughed at, His own friends turned against Him, His own people did not believe Him and on and on....yet He remained sinless.

In His death...what more to suffer than your Father having to turn His face from you because all of the sins of the worlds were placed on you. Yet doing it because He knew it was for the salvation of the world. That isn't even considering the physical suffering that He felt.

Does suffering have any value? Yes if you learn from it.....no if you wallow in it and make your life about the suffering.

If we avoid all suffering we avoid all growth.

• 2 months later...

Ways in which Jesus suffered during his life was him being tempted and tried again and again. He wept, he justified, he hungered and in death he suffered by being tortured, for our sakes. He wore a crown of thorns and hands of nails. We are likely to suffer in a similar fashion(if we hadn't already). We suffer in many ways: we are sometimes mistreated for our beliefs, we are tempted, and sometimes feel that things are beyond our control. That can be the frustrating part. But suffering does have value, according to the Word. Suffering means we have endured something. If we live in such a way to avoid suffering, we won't begin to understand Christ's behavior, sacrifice. We also fail to complete the mission of getting others to Christ.

• 3 weeks later...

Not only Jesus suffering was manifested during his death but also through his walk on earth. Jesus suffered by being a man and all the attributes of man's sins failed upon Jesus because he came into this world as a man (flesh). His true deity was not revealed to mankind because of his man nature. I believe if Jesus could of revealed his glorious divine nature to man then his suffering would of been in vain. Every child of God will inherit everything that the Father has bestowed upon his son Jesus. Suffering was one of Gods purpose and plan for Jesus to endure for mankind salvation. In Romans 8: 17 states, And if children, then heirs, heirs of God, and join-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. I Peter 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye shall follow his steps. Both scriptures state that children of God must suffer or we will not be partakers in Jesus Christ kingdom. Suffering allows the fruit of the spirit to be manifested which causes a child of God to become fruitful and strong in Gods word and kingdom.

• 3 weeks later...

Christ suffered much tribulation, pain, mental anguish, etc. during His time of visitation while on this earth, but the ultimate pain came in those last days. Those closest to Him deserted and denied Him while he underwent the excruciating mockery of a trial. He was falsely accused and cruelly punished because the religious leaders of that day saw their power threatened; but on that cross, our holy, loving, sinless Saviour, out of necessity and out of a love for His creation far greater than man is capable of understanding, carried in His body every dirty, filthy, vile and perverted sin of humanity. He was deserted by friends, mocked, reviled and rejected by the very people He was willfully undergoing the ultimate suffering for in laying down His life. All the while, in the time of His greatest need, He was unable to receive the love and comfort of even the touch of either His mother, who He knew was standing by helplessly watching, or His Father in heaven who had to turn His back on Him because He cannot look upon sin. Is it any wonder He cried out, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" There was no mercy on that day for the One Who was at that very hour making provision for the ultimate mercy - forgiveness of sins - even for those at whose hands he was scourged and placed upon that cruel cross,

and friends we also are guilty of putting Him there. Our sins were among those carried in His holy, sinless body. No, we are not blameless.

We in the Western Hemisphere, because of the sufferings of those who came before us, probably suffer less and profit more than any people in history. This is so because of comfort, complacency and probably cowardice. We fear men more than we fear God. We are determined not to 'rock the boat', much less step out on the water; those who do are labeled fanatics, or right wing nuts. As I recall, Jesus was accused of having a devil, also. In all but rare occasions we are unlikely to suffer more than verbal abuse or in some cases law suits to shut us up, but for the most part we aren't going to stand up or speak up; so much for our great sacrifice. Listen up

If you live in the USA or any other Christian country, take a good look around you. Look at the blessings you take for granted everyday. Do you have more than adequate shelter, food on your table, clothing? Do you have a car, do you and your children have more toys and modern gadgets than 3 quarters of the known world? Do you have the freedom to own and read a Bible, to go to church openly without fear of arrest or persecution, or for that matter, especially if you're a woman, to even step outside your home and to communicate with anyone other than family members without fear of being killed? Do you have the freedom to have as many children as you want? Do you have the freedom to keep all the children you have, or does your husband have the say so of whether or not your newborn will live or die as they did before Christianity put a stop to that common practice. Do you have the freedom to go to school, to choose your profession, to speak out against injustices? Do you have access to medical and dental care? Can you own your own property and have the right to dispose of it as you will? This is just a small sample, and granted many of these freedoms we are at risk of losing even in America today. But it's because we allow it to happen. These freedoms aren't free; they come with a price. So with an absolute YES I say suffering does have value, not only for us, but for the generations to come after us should the Lord tarry.

If we live in a way to avoid all suffering, we lose everything those who went before us fought and died to gain. God help us to understand and prevent that from happening. We need to remove the rose colored glasses and realize that what we aren't willing to fight for, the enemy will gladly take. It's our decision. God will be with us in the struggle, but He isn't going to do it for us. It is our job to do what we can do and leave the rest to Him; but in the end we must do what we can do if we want to retain our God given rights.

Jesus entered a fallen world and suffered constant scrutiny and scorn. He then was willing to die a violent death so that we could live eternally with our Father.

We may experience suffering in our lives in all kinds of ways. We live in a world full of evil. Suffering is all around us. I do believe that suffering produces grace.

We need to be living for Jesus, not living to avoid all suffering.

1) I relate the word "suffering" to "perserverence." Perserverence means to remain under God's authority in all circumstances. It means, to not sin, regardless of the cost. Because Christ never sinned, he always suffered in this world. He did not accept the comforts of this world in exchange for His godliness; for to do so, would have put a plank in His eye such that He could not lead us to God. Thus, Christ did not sell His inheritance for food or clothes or homes or even his physical life.

2) If we who have received His Spirit are to be obedient to Him, we also must suffer as He did. For instance, we cannot be obedient to His command to love one another and live luxuriously, ill-content with merely food and clothes, while those whom we are commanded to love are cold and hungry. Nor can we preach the gospel to the unsaved, as we are commanded to do, and not expect to be torn to pieces.

3) The value of suffering is the joy of our salvation, for those whom Jesus has set free from self-interest through circumcision of the Spirit, there is nothing to lose. Such a person cannot be killed twice, be he can lead those who seek to kill what cannot be killed to Him who gives life - if he does so, he has won a brother to the eternal family and covered a multitude of sins. Indeed, we can be assured of this victory because Christ Himself said to rejoice when persecuted for righteousness because great is your reward in heaven - that great reward in heaven is the very people that did the persecuting.

4) Persons who live in a manner averse to suffering are not being saved; they are sowing to please the sinful nature and are mocking God. From their sinful nature they will reap destruction.

• 2 weeks later...

1) He suffered rejection, persecution, temptation, homelessness, shame, physical agony, separation for the first time from His Father when He hung on the cross, and the guilt of the sins of the world on His sinless body. He was insulted when spat upon; great thirst; He was misunderstood; slandered, scorned and ridiculed, taunted...He suffered death alone, so we wouldn't have to suffer the second death.

2)Many of those things, but we will not ever be separated from Him again, and we have been relieved of the fear of death, because He is always with us.

3) Yes, it does. Heb. 5:8 says "Although He was s Son, He learned (active, special) obedience through what He suffered." For us suffering can make us stronger, and can be a form of discipline, and a means of His developing perserverance in our character. Patience is gained through suffering long waiting periods.

4)If we shrink from a pain free life, We're not really living, not following in His footsteps, because He said "The servant is not above his master"....we will suffer many of the things He suffered just by being in this world and following after Him.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Hebrews 2:9) In what ways did Jesus suffer during his life

and death?