JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Weariness of Spiritual Warfare

Q1. (Hebrews 12:3-4) Spiritual warfare can be lost by weariness. Why is spiritual warfare so wearying?

If we continue walking in "faith"and not walking to the desires of the flesh and the wordly desires, we should not become weary; But if we try to please the flesh while walking in "faith" it becomes wearisome, for Satan is the author of "sin" and he knows that "sin" weights us down, making us weary and opens our minds to the condemnation that Satan brings to us. This is why we are to put on the full armor of God, and not forgetting that our "faith" is in the work of the cross and the power we received from the Holy Spirit, to be strong and not weary!

Why must we continue to resist, on and on?

Our resisting is our trusting in the Lord and the work of the cross; Knowing that each step we take in our walk of "faith" is a process of growth for us. Trusting God with each step we take is not wearisome, for we know God is on our side, even when we slip-up and fall, we will not let the lies of Satan bring condemnation to us, telling us "we can't make it to the end" - for GREATER IS HE THAT IS IN ME THAN he THAT IS THE WORLD! God tells us, "we can make it to the end, for He has given us the means to do so!" So we keep on, keeping on with joy, for the reward we receive as we come to the finish line is worth it all.

• 2 weeks later...
Q1. (Hebrews 12:3-4) Spiritual warfare can be lost by weariness. Why is spiritual warfare so wearying? Why must we continue to resist, on and on? Have you ever been overcome by Satan because of weariness?

Christians would like to sometimes consider the warfare as warfare with the Christian and God on one side and the devil on the other. But in reality many times it God on one side and us on the other and the devil sitting back watching. It gets weary because we many times are struggling against God instead of just following His leading.

We need to resist the devil continuously in order that we get the blessing from God. We resist for our own good.

Yes. But I have learned that you cannot quit. We must ask God for forgiveness when we fall and continue on. Victory is ours.

• 3 months later...
Q1. (Hebrews 12:3-4) Spiritual warfare can be lost by weariness. Why is spiritual warfare so wearying? Why must we continue to resist, on and on? Have you ever been overcome by Satan because of weariness?

Spiritual Warfare is wearying because it always have an attack for you if you don't have your full/whole armor of God on at all times. These attacks are coming 24/7 to people. We must continue to resist because the battle has already been won by God, our Jehovah Nissi. No,because I keep my ful armor of God on daily.

• 2 months later...

Hebrews 12

Heb 12:3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

Heb 12:4 In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. NIV

Q1. (Hebrews 12:3-4) Spiritual warfare can be lost by weariness. Why is spiritual warfare so wearying?

In 2 Tim 2 we read

2TI 2:3 Suffer hardship with me, as a good soldier of Christ Jesus.

2TI 2:4 No soldier in active service entangles himself in the affairs of everyday life, so that he may please the one who enlisted him as a soldier. NASB

When we understand that we are in active service- against sin and Satan- we are paralleling the hardships and opposition we face to a war- war doesn

• 3 months later...

I believe spiritual warfare is weary because we are in a battle and the enemy is constantly and daily battering Christians with his wiles of destruction. That is why a Christian must put on the whole armor of God so they can stand against the wiles of the enemy.

We must resist because any foot hold the devil can get he will run with it. Making a Christian become weak and easily turning away from our Christian walk in God. Yes I've been overcome by the enemy but God said that when the enemy comes in like a flood God would set up a stander and no weapon formed against a Christian shall prosper.

• 1 month later...

It wears you down with it's constancy...the mind is attacked causing discouragement and even despair, fatigue and a turning inward. If the body is attacked too, with pain, etc. it's even more tiring. One never knows when or where the next attack will hit and that can cause worry or fear. It keeps one off balance where it's easier to take ones eyes off of the Lord.

If we don't resist, we lose ground taken in previous battles....God has promised us ultimate victory and we have to keep going to the end. It helps me to remember He's building stamina and endurance in this very passive, weak vessel. He promises in Isaiah to turn us into sharp threshing instruments, stable in all our ways.

Have you ever been overcome by Satan because of weariness?

Yes, I have. This is a silly example, but just this morning I was tired from poor sleep, from a sore neck from stress (another attack), and decided I wouldn't go to the gym...read Q 1, and realized I was being overcome today, from my desire to be more physically fit....so I went and worked out. That was a victory for me. There have been times of despair and wanting to die from such long, ongoing, severe attacks, but God has sent help and deliverance.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Hebrews 12:3-4)

Spiritual warfare can be lost by weariness. Why is spiritual warfare so wearying?

Spiritual warfare is an emotional struggle. Temptations constantly bombard us from every side and it takes lots of spiritual disciplines and much energy to constantly combat these snares of Satan.

We must continue to resist and live lives pleasing to Christ. The end rewards are great--living eternal life with God.

Yes, I have many times been overcome by Satan because of weariness. I know I must contantly be in touch with the Lord to be strong when Satan attacks. :P

• 6 months later...

Spiritual warfare is wearying because we are human and are in a constant battle with our sinful nature against our spiritual nature. It is an ongoing war with ourselves.

We must remain steadfast in our faith and endure to the end so that we may receive the prize; our reward that God has promised us if we endure.

Yes, I think we all have because we are imperfect, but God allows us to get back up when we fall. He sustains us. :D

• 2 months later...

Q1. (Hebrews 12:3-4)

Spiritual warfare can be lost by weariness. Why is spiritual warfare so wearying?

Whenever we have a tendency to grow weary and discouraged, we should think of what our Lord and Saviour Jesus went through. We will discover that our trials will seem negligible by comparison. If we continue to reflect on our trials and tribulations, we can become spiritual weary and discouraged. It is only by focusing on Jesus that we renew our strength and boost our courage. When we as Christians realize that Jesus withstood the hatred of sinful men for the sake of us, that we become encouraged; our own problems become easier to bear, and we, too, will be able to continue and eventually complete the race marked out for us. We all must have experienced a certain degree of weariness during our life

• 2 months later...

I think that it is something you can not see or feel, but it is there. In every decission we make every move the warfare is all around us. We must continue to resist because you do not want the devil to have a foot hold. Sure there has been times when I have let my guard down, and satan tries to step in, but the Lord is stronger in me and satan is not there long. :rolleyes:

• 7 months later...

Unfortunately the Church knows little of spiritual warfare...it must be done in the spirit. Only the Holy Spirit can teach our spiritual hands to fight. My 50 years of experience is the Church wants nothing of it. In general the Church has

castrated the Holy Spirit and sent him out. Israel did this with God and they died in the desert because of unbelief.

We should not think the Church won't suffer the same demise. My part in the warfare is that of an intercessor. I learned this also from the Holy Spirit! I pray the Church will turn away from the tree of knowledge and turn again to the tree of Life.

Spiritual warfare is sometimes weary because it never seems to end. . . There is very "little" time to relax and re-gather our thoughts and strengthen our minds. . . There was a situation with John the Baptist where he appeared to become weary waiting and expecting Jesus to deliver him from prison. . ..

Matthew 11:2-3 (NLT)

2 John the Baptist, who was in prison, heard about all the things the Messiah was doing. So he sent his disciples to ask Jesus,

3 Are you the Messiah we‘ve been expecting, or should we keep looking for someone else?

We must continue to resist the temptations to become weary because if satan can wear us down, then he can dominate us. . . Then also, as we resist the temptation to become weary we develop the tenacity and fortitude that is necessary to remain resistant to this temptation to give up - and more importantly, as we resist the devil - he is forced to flee from us. . .

James 4:7-8 (NLT)

7 So humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

8 Come close to God, and God will come close to you. Wash your hands, you sinners; purify your hearts, for your loyalty is divided between God and the world.

Resisting the devil also has the ability to wear the devil down - and provide strength to us. . .

Matthew 4:1-11 (NLT)

1 Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted there by the devil.

2 For forty days and forty nights he fasted and became very hungry.

3 During that time the devil came and said to him, If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become loaves of bread.

4 But Jesus told him, No! The Scriptures say, People do not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.

5 Then the devil took him to the holy city, Jerusalem, to the highest point of the Temple,

6 and said, If you are the Son of God, jump off! For the Scriptures say, He will order his angels to protect you. And they will hold you up with their hands so you won‘t even hurt your foot on a stone.

7 Jesus responded, The Scriptures also say, You must not test the Lord your God.

8 Next the devil took him to the peak of a very high mountain and showed him the kingdoms of the world and all their glory.

9 I will give it all to you, he said, if you will kneel down and worship me.

10 Get out of here, Satan, Jesus told him. For the Scriptures say, You must worship the Lord your God and serve only him.

11 Then the devil went away, and angels came and took care of Jesus.

Luke 22:39-46 (NLT)

39 Then, accompanied by the disciples, Jesus left the upstairs room and went as usual to the Mount of Olives.

40 There he told them, “Pray that you will not give in to temptation.

41 He walked away, about a stone‘s throw, and knelt down and prayed,

42 Father, if you are willing, please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine.

43 THEN AN ANGEL FROM HEAVEN APPEARED AND STRENGTHENED HIM

44 He prayed more fervently, and he was in such agony of spirit that his sweat fell to the ground like great drops of blood.

45 At last he stood up again and returned to the disciples, only to find them asleep, exhausted from grief.

46 Why are you sleeping?” he asked them. Get up and pray, so that you will not give in to temptation.

YES, but thanks be to God - I was able to recover with support and direction from His Holy Spirit and His Word - He also gave me the mind and the courage to get us and get back into the battle - wherein He gave me the victory. . .

Spiritual warfare is sometimes weary because it never seems to end. . . There is very "little" time to relax and re-gather our thoughts and strengthen our minds. . . There was a situation with John the Baptist where he appeared to become weary waiting and expecting Jesus to deliver him from prison. . ..

Matthew 11:2-3 (NLT)

2 John the Baptist, who was in prison, heard about all the things the Messiah was doing. So he sent his disciples to ask Jesus,

3 Are you the Messiah we

• 2 months later...

I can recall times of being overcome by Satan due to weariness. It seemed like no matter what I do, I couldn't get a breakthrough or to a place of peace. Living for God, for me at times, had become a burden and I wanted to give up.

The flip side of it is that God would not let me. It's as if He threw out a spiritual fish hook with the right bait and reeled me back in.

The point is that we sometimes feel we are alone in our struggles, or we are the only ones going through this or that situation. I believe this is why we become weary - we don't cast our cares on God as He commands; nor do we tell someone in the body that we trust to help us deal with our challenges.

• 3 months later...

Answer:

1.Why is spiritual warfare so wearying?

Spiritual Warfare become wearying when we take ownership of the Fight,and forget who we are in Christ.Most of the time,we become fearful because we depend on our ability,to overcome,in our own effort.Isnt God says just

• 2 months later...

People come against us, and they want to argue. They won't stop! Pretty soon, we get to the point where we just give up! If we give up, the devil has won! Now, he can move in and make things worse for us, and he will, too!

Yes, on two fronts. The first one is my husband. He is not saved, and he is constantly dogging me because of my faith. The second was, I had been trying to get Disability, and I got turned down 3 times. The devil just wouldn't shut up! "Where's your god, now? He must not love you-he didn't help you!" On and on! I will not turn away, nor will I give up! God has a plan, and I'm just waiting for Him to show me!

• 3 months later...

1) Spiritual warfare is weary because it is hard work. We face opposition, resistance and we struggle against sin. All these things causes us to get weary.

2) We must continue to resist so Satan cannot wear us down.

3) Yes, I have been overcome by Satan because of weariness.

• 4 weeks later...

Spiritual warfare is weary because you become emotionally fatigued because of the persecution we face. We must continue to resist so the devil will not take control. No. I don't think I have. I have come close to giving up, but praise God, the Holy Spirit was right there, guiding and encouraging. I know God was my only answer.

• 7 months later...

Being able to endure in any battle is tiring; especially in spiritual warfare. We’re fighting an enemy who’s been watching us since Adam and Eve. We can’t see, don’t know or learn about him until we become spiritually developed; he’s an enemy who doesn’t get tired or grow weary like humans. The more trials and tribulations, the longer the battle and the intensity of it all can be enough to make anyone want to give up. However, Christians must continue to oppose temptation and endure through trials so that Satan will not be able to dominate us. His goal is to weigh us down making us weary while waiting for God to bring us out of our struggles. Satan must be resisted so that we can overcome and gain victory in God’s name. Yes, I have been and still am tired of Satan but I refuse to be overcome by his low-down meddling. We have to remember that he is under our feet where Jesus put him. When we praise, worship, and give God glory, these are also effective weapons in spiritual warfare (along with the armor) doing these things can help us endure and overcome being weary.

• 1 year later...

I think that one of the reasons that spiritual warfare can so weary is because it is hard to point out in the physical the things that God is doing for us. We can’t see him and when someone who doesn’t believe in the Bible wants to argue with us they always point out the physical or science of things.

We must continue to resist on and on because there is the possibility that God might want to bring that person to redemption and God is always using us to do this work. I have been overcome by Satan because of weariness and when I get away from him I am always brought back to the light.

• 2 years later...

Spiritual warfare can weary us down because the devil keeps tempting us to sin or by opposing us. We must learn to resist the devil and he will flee from us, for greater is he that is in us than he that is in the world.

Satan and his schemes even today continue to oppress me by causing things to go against my belief and me not to claim the promises of God. He clutters my mind with worries that keep my mental state away from the things of God.   

• 2 years later...

Spiritual warfare is wearying because it is every present and always there to test and trap us.  It is satan trying to destroy us and find our weaknesses.  His job never stops and so ours must not stop.  We are flesh and blood but we fight not against flesh and blood! Jesus was tempted by the sinful one and proved his faithfulness, so must we.  He is our example and we also have a cloud of witnesses who were mortal that proved it can be done.  If we want the promises made to us by our heavenly father, then we must continue in our faith even through we are weary. There is a reward for those of us who run the race to the end.  Jesus promise that he will supply all our needs no matter the test. The spiritual weariness makes us stronger and makes us depend on God for strength.  We must go to him when trouble rises because he is the author of our faith and he is the one who will guide us safely through. for he says to us," my grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness".  The righteous cries out and the Lord hears them and deliveries them from all there trouble.  "fear not,  for I am with you, be not dismayed , for I am your God.  I will strengthen you, yes I will help you, I will hold you with my righteous right hand".  Every child of God, every Christian is attacked by Satan but we must not concentrate on him. We must keep our eyes of God and do what he tells us to do to overcome.  If we put as much energy and time into doing what is right as we do on worrying about our weariness and Satan, we will win the battle!!   Jesus did not focus on the sin of man, he put all his energy and time into doing the will of God, his father and prayed continually, and God strengthen him and he was able to accomplish all that was required of him; and when he finished, he was called up to sit at the right hand of the Father.  Isn't that our goal also??  To do the will of God so that we can also sit at his feet and be worthy??

• 2 years later...

It is so wearing or burdensome because we are constantly bombarded with being persecuted, attacked and even chased down by the enemy and his tactics that sometimes we want to give up. We must continue to since the Lord has already won the war for us. Yes many times because of persecution however I chose to get up and keep going.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

• 5 months later...
On 4/18/2007 at 5:36 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

It is exhausting emotionally, physically, and spiritually. Often, it persists for long periods of time.

To receive our reward.

Yes, grown tied before, when little to no evidence of fruit. And those serving with me working to  counteract how I was trying to serve God.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q1. Weariness of Spiritual Warfare