JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Rejoicing in Our Sufferings

The problems that we run into will develop our perseverance which in turn will strengthen our character, deepen our trust n God and will give us greater hope and confidence about the future

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Understanding now through this Bible study that tribulations and sufferings mean pressure I was able to identify things in my own life that I would definitely call pressure but just didn't see it before. Some big things actually that are a constant in my life that have most rightly so caused me to grow in ways I believe I would have never grown otherwise. Amen to pressure!

• 2 months later...

Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage why should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations? One by one, what is the importance to our lives of perseverance, tried character, and hope?

Answer 2:

We should rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations, simply because that is God working in our lives to build and shape us into the person who is strong with hope and perseverance. One who has the ability to also reach out to others.

The importance to our lives to have perseverance, tried character, and hope, is to help us be able to overcome our trials in life. To strengthen our hearts and faith giving us the ability to lead a solid Christian life.

• 2 weeks later...

We shall have tribulation, just like everybody else in the world; saved or unsaved.  The big difference is that while in our tribulations God gives us hope, patients, experience and love by the Holy Ghost.  The unsaved who suffer along with us should see the difference in how we endure hardships, which will direct their attention to God.  Our joy during hardships brings glory to God.  The lost can see how good God is to us, which will draw them to Christ.  This gives glory to God.

• 4 weeks later...

We should rejoice in our tribulations in that they produce perseverance , character and hope. The Lord makes us more like Him. He is transforming us from our sinful ways. We are learning to keep on keeping on. Tried character displays to the world that we are different and perhaps creates a desire for Christ. We are hoping or in anticipation of glory which keeps us on course.

• 10 months later...

Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage why should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations? One by one, what is the importance to our lives of: perseverance, tried character, and hope?

We should rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations according to Rom.5:2-5 because it produces perseverance, character and hope in the Lord.

The importance of perseverance in our lives is in order to teach us to be steadfast in our endurance of faith in the Lord and promise in the promises of God.

A tried character is created by the Christian going through difficult test or tribulations. We are reinforced by Christ granting His Holy Spirit to help us standfast . In the end we endured and become witnesses for Christ as His disciples.

With all the tried character and perseverance we keep our mind focused on the lord, in hope that we will share and enjoy His promises as a Christian.   

• 6 months later...

Not rejoice in that we jump up and down because of suffering like losing a job, but rejoice knowing that God has a bigger plan and during this trial He wants to build character in us and put our trust on Him.  

Perseverance is what allows us to endure whatever sufferings/trials we’re going through.  It’s having the determination that is often called for in a Christian because it is written that we will be persecuted; it is not an easy road to travel.  Tried character is important because it shows we’ve been through the test and it shows what we’re built of when successfully getting through trials and sufferings.  The importance of hope is keeping our eyes on the prize; knowing that God will get us through everything.

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage why should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations? One by one, what is the importance to our lives of: perseverance, tried character, and hope? 

We should rejoice in our sufferings " because we know that suffering produces perseverance;  perseverance, character; and character, hope." (5:2b-4) This is what Paul speaks and we also know that " because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us" than we have the power to suffer through tribulations and thus are able  to produce perseverance, character and hope.

Perseverance or endurance helps develop our faith and allows us to be longsuffering in the Lord. The eschatological view is a long view, it will probably go after our death and our passing to Jesus in the resurrection of our bodies yet the final day seems distant. we need to honker down  and live in the Lord in the power that is given to us in the Holy spirit.

As we endure life's challenges we develop with and by the sanctifying power of the Holy Spirit christian character which is a distinguishing trait of Jesus' disciples.

It is the hope of being with Jesus that shines above all our tribulations and enables us to know why we are who we are and how  we know where we are going. The evidence for our hope is found in the experience of the Holy Spirit which is certain evidence and an absolute guarantee for God has put a stamp on us by the out pouring of the Holy Spirit, (1 Corinthians 2.21-22) and "And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." (5:5b).

• 4 months later...

Q2 Tribulations and trials bring about characteristics that are desirable as a Christian. It also strengthens our faith in Christ as we lean on Him and look to Him for strength and help.

Perseverence is something that I tend to struggle with and God works with me on regularly. However I've come to know fully all about "God's timing" and am therefore encouraged to be patient as I wait upon God to work.

Character is developed as we persist and persevere through the most difficult of times. We realize that we are dependent on God and we become more like Him as we seek His face especially in the hard times. This is the goal...to become more and more like Him.

Hope comes from realizing only God has control of any situation. Since we know God is always good we can have confidence that whatever happens is for our good and His glory. This hope is strengthened by character-building and perseverance.

We rejoice in our suffering because it produces perseverance, character and hope. All three are important because if we don't develop endurance, we can't be victorious in our trials/tests. If we don't keep our eyes on the prize/Jesus/eternity, we won't be able to endure. That's our hope. And our character needs to be strengthened through our trials or we will keep failing. We keep going around that same mountain until our character has been tried over and over again.

• 4 months later...

Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage why should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations? 

Because through each and every trial and tribulation our perseverance is proven. 

One by one, what is the importance to our lives of: perseverance, tried character, and hope?          

Perseverance is what keeps us in hope and in faith during tough times.  This will build our character so that we can be sure the next tough time that we are able to keep our joy because we know that with God we end up as the victors.  We can truly learn to count it all joy.  And our joy keeps us filled with hope and peace during tough times.  Perseverance helps us to become more like Jesus (who truly counted all His suffering as pure joy because He knew what His suffering would produce .. Christians).

• 2 weeks later...

We must rejoice in all our suffering because God has sent it for a purpose; its in our suffering that we turn to Him.

Through the various trials and tribulations we encounter we must always keep faith and learn to persevere (keep on keeping on), no matter what may come our way or we will never find the future treasures God has in store for us. 

It is through perserverance that we gradually overcome our trials and begin to draw closer to Him. As we seek His help on the way, we develop a "Christlike Character" that is guided by the " Holy spirit",  Our faith is also  strengthened as we see Him at work in our lives.

Hope is the third characteristic that all Christians must have or else they would not have the motivation to carry on and would give up

at the first barrier they encountered.

• 2 months later...

A. I are assured that suffering will not separate me from the love of God (Rom. 8:35). I understand that just because I suffer doesn't mean that I am out of fellowship with the Lord. Probably, suffering has the opportunity of bringing me closer to the Lord if only I will allow it. When I suffer, it seems that I study, read the Bible, and pray more. When I suffer, my whole life has a turn-to the right, I hope.

In this case of Scripture, suffering according to Paul brings other byproducts: perseverance, character, and hope. Therefore, I rejoice in suffering that I have the opportunity in my own life of what perseverance, character, and hope will do—for a better character.

B. For me holding on in suffering is one of the hard things to do, but it is necessary for the outcome. “As we brag on God in spite of our troubles, God produces in us the fruit of the Spirit of patience or long-suffering” (Lesson). For me, it gets down to will I hold up in a positive way under my sufferings? Will I be patience that the suffering will work a work in me as a fit follower of the Lord? Perseverance for me is holding on/up during suffering.

What is character? For me, character is hard to explain other than the influence that the Spirit has on my life in regards to the outcome or result of my suffering. “God works in us that tried character that is a distinguishing trait of Jesus' disciples” (Lesson).

My mother use to tell me when I thought my world was falling apart, “Why, there is always hope” (my mother). For me, it's just like there is this reserve that is being drawn from that is sure, solid, and can always be depended on. “We find our hope solid and we see fulfillments of his promises along the way” (Lesson).

For me, there is one verse that has been one of my favorites for a long time: it is found in Romans 4:17-21.

Romans 4:18 “Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations, according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be.”

Is this not the faith of Abraham relaying/explaining Gospel faith? Yes, Abraham just believed God!

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

As we go through suffering we allow God to shape us through these pressures to look more and more like Christ. A potter forms the clay by exerting pressure on it until it looks like he designed it to look.

• 3 weeks later...

We rejoice because of the grace that is given to us and of God's glory manifested knowing that we have Christ's life in us to be transformed into God's child inwardly.  We know that God loves us unconditionally and in abundance (this gift that He gave for our salvation - His love poured out into our hearts).  We rejoice because we already know the end result (we win) and look beyond what we see and what we feel when going through trials knowing it is temporal.  Our future is sealed, we will be with God eternally.  Therefore patience and long-suffering can be part of life knowing that our problems will cause endurance to be formed that lead to integrity and assurance of salvation (attitude and behavior aligning with God's purpose) with the end being the development of maturity of character.  Perseverance, tried character and hope all work out to that end of walking in the light.  God can trust us to depend on Him regardless of the circumstances.  We now have confident hope that we have a reward in heaven (knowing that the ancient prophets have been also gone through things).  The Holy Spirit indwells us and is our guarantee that God will fulfill His promises and be with us, never leaving us.  This means we can go to God and cry out Abba Father as His child knowing that He desires the best for us and we in term have  the goal of giving glory and honor to Him with our life. 

• 2 months later...

Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage why should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations? One by one, what is the importance to our lives of: perseverance, tried character, and hope?

We need to persevere in our times of hardship as Christians. We have faith and hope and God will reward us eventually. 
Perseverance or endurance is what God wants of us as we will have difficulties and through these we develope character. Our spirits through the Holy Spirit will be strengthened and we will be able face even greater tests. Through this we are a faith example to others.

• 4 months later...

Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage why should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations? One by one, what is the importance to our lives of perseverance, tried character, and hope? http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=793

Because of the way they strengthen us morally, and although quite the opposite, similar of the way a person becomes calloused to righteousness by constantly, (seemingly) getting away with paying no price for evil deeds.

Perseverance is important when it comes to going the distance. Jesus said that they who endure to the end shall be saved (Matthew 24:13). Like swimming across a river, just because you know the other side exists, you still have to make it there, or fail to. Of course, to swim a wide river one would need much practice and know of the weariness the preparation brings. In much the same way God strengthens us up a little at a time through trials and hard times. Such strength becomes apparent to all and is a testimony to the character of a person. To the person, however the excitement of crossing the finishing line becomes greater with every piece of hard time involved.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 8/15/2008 at 8:02 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage why should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations? One by one, what is the importance to our lives of: perseverance, tried character, and hope?

They are what will, and do, strengthen and mature our faith.  These are the times I am most dependent on God.  The times when I will either lean on him or question his existence! If I have genuine faith I will see that he is the only one I can truly count on, who desires that I grow in my faith, to depend further on him.

perseverance - am I committed to my faith, is it what I truly believe in my heart of hearts? If yes than I will overcome my circumstances through my faith. 

Character - walk the talk, does it my faith make a difference?

hope - I’m not living for today, for myself, my comfort,rather am I looking to something much greater. The long view of eternity!

• 9 months later...

Our basis for finding joy in the midst of sufferings lies in our understanding of the purpose of the process. Rather than despair that we've been abandoned or will suffer great harm, we are reassured by the knowledge that God is building His character in us. This is affirmed further in 1 Corinthians 10:13 as each trial has just the right amount of pressure for His purpose and also has an escape mechanism when He realizes we're at our limit. 

Perseverance is an essential attribute because we are at war in this world; things won't always work out exactly how we expect them to or want them to. We need to learn to keep our focus and peace through these "storms" and endure them.

Tried character is essential to our earthly journey because our enemy is always trying to ensnare us; God's preparation helps us to recognise temptation and say "No". God's preparation also helps us be good ambassadors of Christ; Jesus said "Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your father in heaven" Matt. 5:16.

Hope ensures we don't abandon our walk for ANY reason. "For surely there is an end and thine expectation shall not be cut off". Prov. 23:18. "For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry". Hab 2:3. Knowing an outcome is non-negotiable gives us the strength to "look" for it. Hoping is a learned attitude that prevents despair.

• 5 months later...

Because we know that there is something better for us in heaven. And that suffering produces perseverance, tried character and hope. That God will cause something good to come out of all the trials we are going through. That we get closer to God  and we have more joy even in our sufferings. 

Perseverance is the capacity to hold out or bear up in the face of difficulty. It is endurance and steadfastness in the face of hardships/ We hold on and and grab more firmly onto God's hand. Because we know in His strength, not ours, we will persevere and be fruitful. 

Character or experience is the trait that we acquire the longer we walk with God. The more we depend upon Him and see Him come through for us the stronger our faith becomes. Because we remember what He did for us before.

Hope allows us to look ahead to the joy set before us and not at our circumstances. We know that we are secure in Him because of what He did for us and we know that He promised us a home in heaven. 

• 1 month later...

It is because heaven is our home and we are only just passing through this world and this world is not our home. It is through our faith in God that we have the ability to rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations and still go through them without complaining like the world. For as we suffer for Christ's sake we learn patience endurance and how to be more like Christ through it. Through patient endurance we learn to have true character of Christ and be more like Christ through our trials and sufferings. Hope and confident assurance of our salvation in God's promises of salvation should cause us to remember that we will always comforted by the Lord through our sufferings.

• 2 months later...

Romans 5:2-5 teaches me that suffering in not for nothing, but rather something glorious and transforming. I can exult because of what it produces. In ease I learn nothing of endurance. When all days are sunny and bright, no real character is forged. The most beautiful reflections of Christ are seen in those purified and tried in the fire of affliction. I can rejoice in suffering because God does his best work in that place. 

I need perseverance for the journey. It’s an inner strength that comes from believing God’s promises and having my eyes on the prize. 

I need tried character because that’s the only character worth having. It shows up when my circumstances don’t give me a place to stand and when my testimony is most crucial and observed by others. 

I need hope - an unshakable confidence - that I will one day stand before Him and this battle for a sanctified heart is worth it, and He is worthy.