JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Rejoicing in Our Sufferings

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage why should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations? One by one, what is the importance to our lives of: perseverance, tried character, and hope?

As Christians we should rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations as they make us stronger as Christians. Perseverence is testimony to faith. If we have faith in God through Christ, then our perseverence will reap reward in all things, but especially spiritual things.

I think of Matthew 10, when Jesus assembles his twelve apostles and bestows on them power and instructions to spread the gospel.

I was struck by Jesus' words of instruction to his followers about the trials and danger they might encounter among "wolves," and also His words instructing them not to be afraid, and to take no provision, neither food nor money, with them, nor even to think of what to say should they be delivered up to defend themselves and their actions against said wolves. All will be provided for them by the Father, as reward for their faith and perseverance. Fear not, Jesus repeatedly tells them, and in verse 28, "...and fear not them that kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul:but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."

We let fear and doubt (O ye of little faith, as Jesus constantly, sometimes irritated, tells his apostles, who are in a type of apostolic kindergarten with Him) keep us from perseverence in walking the path of Christ and spreading the Word through thought, word and deed.

If we persevere, we gain in experience and we develop tried character as the apostles did, when they witnessed over and over again the reality and the truth of Christ.

Since Christ walks within us now, as Spirit, we rely on Spirit within us, and outward manifestation of Spirit, to try our characters, believing as Jesus instructs us in Matthew 21:21, "If ye have faith, and doubt not...ye shall say unto this mountain Be thou removed, and be cast into the sea, it shall be done."

Experience of the glory of God in times of tribulation, whereby He provides for us just as He did the apostles according to the Word of the Christ, will bring us hope, which is a deepening of faith. We learn to wait on the Lord with ultimate trust.

To "rejoice" in our sufferings is almost opposite of what the world believes and so hard for a non-Christian to understand! I think that people who know you are a Christian watch to see how you handle life circumstances, good or bad and inadvertly make a judgement thereof. I don't know if I could actually "rejoice" while suffering, but I can keep my mouth shut and not complain, knowing that God will get me through it and in that belief, find some peace of mind. Perserverence is a strong witness to those around you, that you don't give up is so important. That thru your trials, your character is built, and your ability to understand those around you and give them hope is the most important thing in the world. I sometimes think God uses us as his hands and/or shoulder and the only way we can be there and truly understand someone who is gong thru a difficulty is to have been there our selves.

I know from personal experience it is hard to rejoice during our sufferings and tribulations. We have to be a believer to understand this when we are going through. The majority of the time we are not looking at the end results or the growth. We just want this to be over and done with.

We as believers can rejoice and glory in our sufferings and tribulation becasue they produce endurance. This only happens when we exercise faith during the hardship. Such faith produce its own reward. Preserverance produces character, the quality of being approved. God works in us to develop certain qualities and virtures that willl strengthen us and draw us closer to Him. The results is fortified hope in God and His promises.

Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage why should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations? One by one, what is the importance to our lives of: perseverance, tried character, and hope?
YES WE SHOULD BECAUSE AFTER THAT AND ONLY THAT COMES THE VICTORY WITH THE LORD JESUS CHRIST AND HIS WORDS DON'T COME BACK VOID!!!HE TELLS YOU ..YOU HAVE TO GO THROUGH ..OF WAITING AND EVERYTHING ELSE TO GROW STRONG IN HIM!!!

WE SHOULD REJOICE IN OUR SUFFERING AND TRIBULATIONS BECAUSE WE HAVE A VERY SURE FUTURE THAT WE WILL BE WITH CHRIST SOME DAY. THE IMPORTANCE TO OUR LIVES OF ; PERSEVERANCE BEING ABLE TO ENDURE HARDSHIPS, FACING SOME REAL DIFFICULT TIMES, YET INSPITE OF ALL THESE TO BE ABLE TO HOLD ON TO YOUR FAITH TRUSTING GOD IN EVERTHING. TRIED CHARACTER THIS IS WHEN YOU ARE GOING THROUGH A TESTING PERIOD IN ONE LIFE, THE EXPERIENCE OF GOING THROUGH THESE TOUGH TIMES WHERE YOUR INTEGRITY IS BEING TESTED, BUT THROUGH IT YOU ARE ABLE TO STAND. HOPE-----THIS IS WHEN DESPITE WHAT ANYONE SAY. YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING,YOU KNOW WHY WE ARE HOLDING ON THERE IS THIS DETERMINATION TO GO ON , NO TRIBULATION WILL ALTER THAT BECAUSE OF SOMETHING CALLED HOPE.

Peter thought he loved Jesus enough to not deny him. In reality, he did love him but was not strong enough(at that time) to face the Jesus' executioners... The Lord know where we'll fail, He also always give us enough grace not to fail. He let us face trials not to let us fail, but to gradually and steadfastly built our characters. So every trial is an opportunity to get equipped by the Father. (ex: it becomes difficult to forget a formula you knew but fail to apply it well in a exam, next time you find it, perhaps in a more import exam or just giving an explanation to some friends, you'll boldly figure it out). We always need to feel the comforter hands of our God, not only for ourselves but also for our fellows. And Paul also explain pretty well one aspect it in 2Co1:3-4

Actually I don't really know how to explain it, but I personally understand that trials, in my Christian race, reveal me somewhere the divine nature of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Perseverance make us discover the secret of all victory.

Tried characters are often the strongest, they become like part of our nature and are contagious(attractive).

Hope strengthen us for the next step when we have no more reason to keep going on.

JAMES 1:2-4 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

I have been pondering "rejoicing in our sufferings" and was looking at posts in a similar discussion. (James: Practical Christianity - Experiencing Joy in Trials)

This is from a post by Angus, aka apratt, which I think bears repeating here:

Louis L'Amour said that "Adventure is a romantic word for trouble." We often say that life is full of troubles. Well in the church we often call them trials or the really bad ones get called tribulations. Perhaps it is a matter of perspective. Maybe life is full of adventure!

Paul (in Romans 5) and James agree that trouble leads to one thing and that is the Greek words, upomonen katergaqetai is variously translated "the ablity to endure" or "have patience". Maybe to put it really crassly, "put up with".

And that "putting up with" leads to character, what we in the church call faith or trust.

So what troubles lead to is this idea of character. And here Paul and James diverge, not disagreeing but they describe the character differently. Paul suggests that it leads to hope. James points out that it leads to maturity.

As Christians we should rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations because God uses hard times in our life in order to develop His character in us.

Perserverence-God wants us to be able to hold out or hold fast in the face of diffuculty. As we stay close to God in spite of our problems, God produces in us the spiritual fruit of patience or long suffering.

Character-God wants to work in us the tried character that was the distinquishing trait of Jesus' disciples. The longer we walk in the spirit, in the midst of difficult circusmstances, the stronger our character becomes.

Hope-This enables us to know why we are and where we are going. The tribulations we experience disillusion us with this present world, causing us to look forward to God's promise of a new earth and heaven.

IF OUR NATURE IS SUCH THAT WE ARE PERFECT IN GOD'S EYES, WE WILL NOT SUFFER OR WE DON'T NEED SUFFERING TO BRING US CLOSE TO GOD. OUR SINFUL NATURE IS SUCH THAT OURSELF IS BIGGER THAN GOD AND AS SUCH WE WILL NOT WILLINGLY GET CLOSE OR CLOSER TO GOD OR AT LEAST NOT FOR TOO LONG OR NOT CLOSE ENOUGH. HOW MANY VERY VERY SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE WHO REALLY GET CLOSE TO GOD? MORE OFTEN THEY WILL SAY OR THINK 'I AM GOOD AND I DON'T NEED GOD!" THYE MAY STILL GO THE CHURCH THOUGH BUT WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? ONLY GOING THROUGH SUFFERINGS AND TRIBULATIONS WILL PROVIDE US A PLATFORM OR NEED OR OPPORTUNITY TO STRIVE TO GET CLOSER TO GOD(SEE OUR NATURE IS SUCH THAT WE ARE MORE INCLINED TO GO TO GOD FOR HELP RATHER THAN GOING TO HIM TO THANK HIM!). AND, ONLY BY GETTING CLOSE TO GOD CAN WE GROW SPIRITUALLY AND BE ABLE TO PERSEVERE AND GET EVEN CLOSER TO GOD AND THAT'S WHERE OUR HOPE IS!

Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage why should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations? One by one, what is the importance to our lives of perseverance, tried character, and hope?

1. James 1:2-5 states:

2 My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, 3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. 4 But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.

NKJV

2. Just as the scripture states above, patiences produces perseverance.

Perseverance produces character.

Character produces hope.

We all are to tranform into His likeness and so what Paul is saying is; we must be proven just as He was proven. The rejoicing we produce comes from seeing as we grow in Him that how we once handled a trial is so different than the way we now handle it. We can rejoice in seeing how we have changed ourselves by changing the way we think and act. The word of God is in fallible and it does change our thinking and our ways. God's plan from the right way of living does work. Rejoice, I say rejoice for His has done great things and He is teaching us great things.

IF WE ARE NOT CHANGING, THEN WE ARE NOT GROWING! APPLY THE WORD OF GOD TO EVERY DAY LIVING AND WATCH OURSELF GROW!

We rejoice in times of sufferings because we know that Jesus is with us even through our trials. That knowledge alls us to give total Praise and thanksgiving. As illustrated in Psalm 84 vs 6&7 the one who passes through the Valley of Baca goes from strength to strength. Our time of trial teaches us how to lean on Jesus more seeking his strength and wisdom in our daily walk. As we persevere in our walk our character grows and begins to reflect more of God's goodness and grace. We begin to live a life that is Christ centred and thus establish the foundation of our hope which is in Christ. ;)

We must have difficulties, for these shape our ability to stand and be firm in our belief. You have to stand for something, or you'll fall for anything. The trials and tribulations of this earthly life will prepareus and strengthen us for the life to come.

It is not easy to rejoice during suffering, but when we do it, we are lifted above the suffering. We still have to go through whatever it is that troubles us, but the Lord gives us a special 'peace' about it. If we can think, "God will use this to teach me something and to make me a better person for His Glory", then we can think of the trauma as a 'lesson to be learned' rather than 'a deep pit to try and get out of'.

Perseverance will enable us to become patient - and also to learn to lean upon God more.

Tried Character - At first I thought that this meant our own characters being cleaned up with new learnings, but I have just realised that it could well be 'the character of Jesus' being formed in us as we give ourselves more to Him.

Hope - One of the three treasures we are to take with us into eternity, Faith, Love and Hope. Hope, I think, is what keeps us going. What we aim towards and is always in front of us. 'Without vision, the people perish' the bible tells us, and I think that without hope, the people also perish.

Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage why should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations? One by one, what is the importance to our lives of perseverance, tried character, and hope?

We should rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations because through them we will develop endurance and character. Additionally, despite all things, we have hope in the knowledge that Jesus Christ gives us eternal life with Him in Heaven.

Perservering through problems will help the Christian grow. Problems we face will help develop our patience, which will strengthen our character, deepen our trust in God, and give us greater confidence about the future. It is all about our growth.

We should rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations because through them we will develop endurance and character. Additionally, despite all things, we have hope in the knowledge that Jesus Christ gives us eternal life with Him in Heaven.

Perservering through problems will help the Christian grow. Problems we face will help develop our patience, which will strengthen our character, deepen our trust in God, and give us greater confidence about the future. It is all about our growth.

Q1 - According to this passage, we should rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations because our suffering produces endurance which brings God's approval, which in turn creates hope. We hope to be in the presence of God in all his glory in heaven and we have expectations in God's promises for eternal life.

Q2 - Perseverance - Endurance or patience in the face of adversity. We persevere in our trials and frustrations and this makes us stronger.

- Character - This comes as a result of our patience. With our character we are able deal better with our Christian trials and we are also able to help other Christians through our experiences.

- Hope - Hope keeps us focused on Jesus and of eternal life God has promised us.

When I read this I think of Job. I have a Awesome God who willingly gave his life for me. Just for me. He took MYplace. I should of been put to death with a trial and everything. When I have a hard time and start complaining, I remember what my savior did for me. My faith has become stronger and I have been able to help others when they are going through something they feel they can't deal with. I have a card on my refrigarator that says,"GOD IS GREATER THAN ANY PROBLEM I HAVE". That is so true!

I can rejoice in all circumstances because it is a direct command of God. See Phil 4. It was actually my bible reading for the day I was informed that a brain tumour I had removed in 2001 has regrown and I need surgery within the next couple of weeks.

See I don't need to worry about me, or the future. God is already there and if I immerse myself in Him, He will carry me through this and teach me about using it as a stepping stone to grow more like Him.

Perseverance means I stick the course and don't lose my inheritance in God

Tried character means I have come through the fire as pure gold.

Hope means I know who I am, why I was created and where I am going. It holds me up and makes sense of the senseless.

Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage why should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations?

Bad times lead us to reach out to The Lord for help, and the Strength we experience gives good cause for Hope.

One by one, what is the importance to our lives of perseverance, tried character, and hope?

Perseverance - the first few steps of leading a spiritual life are vital, but with every additional step there is a fire that builds, this fire is an energy to fuel further healthy activity. To break from perseverance is like throwing a bucket of water on the fire. Perseverance is therefore good.

Tried Character - A strong character is formed from perseverance in the face of trials and tribulations.

Hope - because we experience the Strength of our Lord helping us in times of trouble, we develop a strong Faith, and live in genuine Hope.

Through believing in the Love that is Jesus Christ, there can be hope in the darkest of times. It is the mark of a deeply spiritual person that they can welcome both good and bad times with a sense of gratitude and secruity, and this is a wonderful state of mind to aim for.

We should rejoice in suffering and tribulation because it refines us as fire refines gold to make it more precious. God uses suffering to produce in us perseverance, character and hope.

Perseverance is the holding on despite the bad situation. It helps build our faith as we hang on trusting that God will see us through the difficult situation stronger and more victorious.

Tried character is similar to perseverance in my understanding. It refers to the ability to go through hardship and coming out victoriously because one'e trust in the Lord.

Hope is the positve expectation of actaulisation of your future desires.

Perserverance produces what I will label staying power. It is only through trials that we become strong. Character is developed in each Christian so that we can be the light which Jesus asked us to be. Many unbelievers look at believers lives and oftentimes this is the first bible they have ever looked. Often when you try to minister to someone not in Christ, the first thing they tell you is about someone claiming to be a Christian who lives far worst than they do. This is an indication that the person referred to has not developed his or her character. Character is developed often through trials and tribulations. Hope is that nugget which all of us cling to. Faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evdence of things not seen. We have the faith as Christians that we will be counted righteous in the day of judgement.

For me knowing that my trials are not random or arbitrary but a tool to strengthen me and continuously prepare me for the work that God has called me to do helps me to endure and persevere. Knowing that regardless of what is said or done to me my experiences are mine and the fact that God has delivered me through them all is fact. If He was able to bring me through yesterday, I must know that He will do the same today because He is not fickle and He is not a liar. Some days hope is "all we have" and many days it may be hard to remember that that is more than enough!

• 2 weeks later...

We can rejoice in our sufferings because we have hope. We know that if we continue to seek God's face that we have a future home with Him. Perseverance builds patience, character is what we are made of and hope is the knowledge of our future home with Jesus.