JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Obedience and Sin's Reign

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Romans 6:12) What does obedience have to do with the "reign" of sin?

Rom 6:12 Therefore, do not let sin rule your mortal bodies so that you obey their desires.

Obedience has to do with the "reign" of sin because you do what satan wants you to do.

Ex: If he wants you to kill a person you would do it.

This is from Karyanne not johnboy200993!

Sorry for the mix-up guys and gals!

• 1 month later...

Rom 6:12 For this cause do not let sin be ruling in your body which is under the power of death, so that you give way to its desires;

We have the choice to either obey our natural desires which are sinful or we can choose to follow the way of Christ who was perfect...it is up to us whom to obey.

• 1 month later...

Before we were saved from the penalty and power of sin we could not help but to obey it's commands. Paul personifies sin when he commands us not to let sin "reign" in our mortal bodies. Jesus rescued us from the penalty of sin which is dead but also from its grip and power. We no longer are enslaved, tied down by, or submitted to sin UNLESS we willfully gives ourselves to it and to serve it. Colossians 2:15 says that Jesus "disarmed the powers and authorities"...in other words sins reign and kingdom has been stripped of every power that they used to have over me and if I do obey it now and follow my sinful nature is by voilition and not because I cannot help it!

Slaves have no choice but to obey and when I belonged to satan and its kingdom I obeyed him and hi spurposesm for me BUT now I have been transferred to the kingdom of His beloved and I choose to obey Him.

• 4 weeks later...

:PBy obeying God's Word, you will not let sin reign in your life.When we serve Christ, our hands, our words, our heart, our smile become weapons or instruments in the cause of the Kingdom and not a cause for Satan.

• 1 month later...

If we allow sin to reign over us then we are being obedient to it. We listen to it, we let it grow in us over whelm us, lead us and this is what satan lives for, the falling away from Christ. We cannot be obedient to two masters. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Paul is using a powerful word 'reign' to show to us the power sin had over us we obeyed its every command.

But thankfully we have a new song, new desires, a new Master, one who give His life that we could walk a new walk, live a new life, serve the King of Kings.

• 2 weeks later...

Any ruling power is only in power as long as its citizens obey it. In earthly terms when coups occur it is because the citizens have chosen to obey another ruler.

In sin's terms it can only reign in my life as I choose to obey it.

When I give my allegiance to Christ, I choose to obey another ruler and sin's reign is over.

• 3 months later...

Though believers in Chri have died to sin, sin is still a problem. The sin principle is still present and can express itself through the mortal body, the body that is subject to death. The difference is that sin has no right to reign. Thus, Paul admonishes the believer not to obey it.

• 1 month later...

We need to choose if we will let sin be our master, and be obedient to our sinful desires, or if we will let God be our master. If we don't make a conscious choice to follow God, I think humans naturally choose the path of least resistance-sin.

We have been freed from the slavery of sin by being united with Christ in His death and resurrection into a new life. However, that does not mean that sin is no longer there. It is, and we can still choose to obey it and to give into it. As we do that, the old man that died with Christ, comes back and we come once again under the reign of sin by choosing to obey it. This is what Paul is warning us against in verse 12.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Dr. Ralph,

When we obey God and follow His teachings, we are turning our backs on sin. However, we must keep in mind that sin still exists, and if we begin to not follow God, then we are trapped in sin once more. Therefore, we must not choose to sin any longer.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If we are obedient to our earthly temptations then we are in effect reign by sin. We keep on listening to our temptations although we have the power not too, we still do and thus giving sin reign over us where in truth sin has no power over us but we think it does.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ANS - Whoever we choose to obey will become our master and will reign over us. If we follow Christ, give ourselves to Him, and obey him, sin no longer has control over us,and no longer reigns in our life. We are no longer subject to its evil desires.

• 2 weeks later...

What does obedience have to do with the "reign" of sin?

If we are in obedience to our call through Jesus Christ we will no longer let sin be in control of us and our life, we have been set free from it's power.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1a)Paul commands us not to listen to the old self, old master with evil inner desires, as this is incompatible with those who have been rescued. We should submit ourself to God &offer ourselves to him and resist satan. Resist the devil & he will flee. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

- We should not be obedient to a false master letting sin reign in our mortal bodies - to be slaves to sin bringing death,

- But we should in obedience present our bodies as instruments of righteousness unto God our Righteous Master to be slaves to righteousness bringing life.