JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. The Law Reveals and Provokes Sin

Q2. (Romans 7:7-8) The law reveals sin for what it is. Why wouldn't we be better off just not knowing that we should not covet, for example? Why does the flesh respond to being told "Do not covet" by coveting all the more?

Unless we know specifically that sin is wrong eg do not lie, do not steal, do not covet, then we live in ignorance.

We would also have anarchy and no moral code.

Maybe it is inbred in us to want to do what we shouldn't do and go where we shouldn't go.

WOULD ADAM AND EVE HAVE BEEN INTERESTED IN THE APPLE IF THEY HADN'T BEEN TOLD NOT TO EAT IT!!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could be better off not knowing what to covet,but I believe my desires causes covetness.Then I also have desires to please God.If I did know what not to covet,the list would be so long, fear would take over to a point I would be very unhappy with life.So I would say knowing what not to covet leads you into another choise for life.We do have a choise :blink: We are told not to covet ,but we covet more.In this material man made world there are a lot of things we see,hear about,and can even touch.My thoughts are ,its a part of my sinful nature to wrongfully desire what belongs to another,in which by the help of my heavenly Father I will overcome these desires,seek his help and forgiveness.Amen.

The law reveals sin in its true ugly nature. Knowing this takes us closer to the truth, and we know that truth sets us free as the Bible said ' we shall know the truth and the truth shall set us free'. Ignorance leads to death as it is also written that my people perish for lack of knowledge. Thus the Law that reveals sin, leads us to the truth is good. This leads us to life.

As the law reveals sin the more, the flesh fights against the Spirit so as to make us sin. When we yield to the flesh, we end up committing the very sin the law has clearly shown as bad and dangerous.

Q2. (Romans 7:7-8) The law reveals sin for what it is. Why wouldn't we be better off just not knowing that we should not covet, for example? Why does the flesh respond to being told "Do not covet" by coveting all the more?

The flesh is in itself evil and by having the law and knowing what is wrong we can see that it is not in our ability to

fight our sinfull nature. that only by dying to sin thru Christ's death can we be sure of success in our christian life

We cannot couquer sin even when we know it is wrong because we are fleshly weak and only God is good enough

to attone for sin . We are basically evil inside and will sin over and over again knowing it is wrong. because we

cannot controll our self /flesh.

We wouldn't be better off just not knowing that we should not covet because being blissfully ignorant of our sins doesn't keep them from being wrong. I believe the flesh responds to being told "Do not covet" by coveting all the more because of rebellion against God. There is just something in human nature that resists and rebells being told what to do.

For example, if someone sees a "keep off the grass" sign, their first reaction is to walk across the lawn.

I'm not sure that it's "not knowing" but maybe more analogous to the big picture and the specifics. "Be nice" covers a lot of ground and can mean something totally different to different people, but the law sets down specifics that put a definition to what was previously basically understood in general but not defined.

Again, I'm not sure that knowing the law creates more sin but that we now recognize it as sin. Kinda like buying a new car that you hadn't seen much of, but now that you have one, it seems like they're all over the place.

If I want to know how to have a relationship with God; eliminate from my life those things that displease God; and implement into my life those things that please God, I need to be informed -- whether it is painful or not.

The flesh responds by coveting more because natural man is in rebellion against God.

• 3 weeks later...

We are better off understanding what coveting does to our system and avoiding it like the plague because it destroys our relationships, not only with God, but with men also. We cannot build relationships - so important tro God - on covetousness and greed. God wants us building relationships with Him and with our fellow man, and we need to know what to build and what not to build.Covetousness needs to be left right out of the picture. If we didn't know we should not covet, then our relationships would all sufer. God gives us this law so that we learn the important thing is building relationship, not museums of goods.

When we speak of coveting, all the things we covet come immediately to mind, reminding us of them again. When Jesus came He taught us to love our enemies and do good to those who steal from us, to be generous and to love one another, preferring one another - and preferring that they have beautiful things to enjoy, rather than self. We should rejoice for them in the things they have in order to make them comfortable. We need to direct our love away from ourselves and towards others.

• 3 weeks later...

I want to know what it is I'm doing wrong-I am in Christ. Before I got saved, I had man-made laws to tell me that I was doing wrong. If I broke a man-made law, I would be in trouble with the law. But now, I want to obey God, and when I don't, I can go to God through Jesus and be forgiven! Gloray!

The flesh wants what the flesh wants. It doesn't like being told no. If someone says no you can't have that, well you want to prove that you can have that, and you set out to get it. Thus the phrase, "Everyone has a price".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think that God gave us the Law to reaveal His true righteous character. Without it we would be lost and not able to even strive for the prefection that was Jesus. Jesus is the only one who came in the flesh and understood the true rightousness of God and could keep all the law. Without Jesus we wouldn't be able to walk upright. We are truly an fallen creation. We covet and have unforgiveness in our hearts. And truly are underserving of forgivness but in God's graciousness He forgives us. We shold be truly grateful that we live in the time after Jesus went to the cross for our sins. We are in a battle with our very own flesh it is our worst enemy.

• 4 weeks later...

The law was so important because we needed to know our expectations; we needed to know what we were doing wrong. Because our 'flesh' is in direct opposition to the spirit, we are convicted of our wrong doing and the flsh begins it's fight for control. We war within our own minds until, by the grace of God, we can begin to bring our sinful nature to submission.

• 2 months later...

Rom 7:7 What then is to be said? is the law sin? in no way. But I would not have had knowledge of sin but for the law: for I would not have been conscious of desire if the law had not said, You may not have a desire for what is another's.

Rom 7:8 But sin, taking its chance through that which was ordered by the law, was working in me every form of desire: because without the law sin is dead.

We need to know the law to see where we are making our mistakes but once we see where these mistakes are being made we make excuses for them and try to make up reasons why it does not belong to our circumstances. Also with the human nature those things which are forbidden always seem more desirable

• 2 months later...

The Law reveals sin, provokes sin and yet condemns sin. Ignorance is not bliss, because sin is still wrong in that it is rebellion against God and God's holiness.

Man's fallen nature is inherently rebellious against God. Being told "do not covet" puts a spotlight on the sin or reveals it. The sin is named and therefore, it is noticed.

• 1 month later...

We need to know the law so that we can correct our ways, if not we would still be coveting certainly not following Christ. The flesh would respond just the opposite for it is living in a sinful way, the evil that would be in one would be directing them to sin more, making their desire even stronger. One does not like to be told what to do, one wants to be in control of oneself not submitting to the law, but that person does not realise that they HAVE submitted to satan, that he is directing them, Jesus asks us to submit to Him and He will look after us guide us teach us, He is up front with us, where as satan lies to us letting us think we are in control but when we are in a sinful nature he is in control of us. We need to be alert and continually seeking the Lord. :rolleyes:

Sin could never be hidden or excused, the law put a spotlight on sin. We could no longer hide behind ignorance of sin, but now that sin has been made manifest, we have been held accountable.

But for a Man called Jesus, who has shown us a pathway from darkness into His wonderful light eternal.

Fairest of all the earth beside,

Chiefest of all unto Thy bride,

Fullness divine in Thee I see,

Beautiful Man of Calvary!

Refrain

That Man of Calvary

Has won my heart from me,

And died to set me free,

Blest Man of Calvary!

Granting the sinner life and peace,

Granting the captive sweet release,

Shedding His blood to make us free,

Merciful Man of Calvary!

Refrain

Giving the gifts obtained for men,

Pouring out love beyond our ken,

Giving us spotless purity,

Bountiful Man of Calvary!

Refrain

Comfort of all my earthly way,

Jesus I

• 1 month later...

I am inherently sinful and rebellious towards God. By being told no, whether not to covert or not to swear, I instinctively want to do it. However I need the Law to show me just what sin is. Without the Law and knowledge of sin, there can be no relationship with God. By the Law I can learn to live a God-honouring life by the Power of the Spirit.

• 1 month later...

I honestly don't know if learning about a law makes me want to commit the sin more. I do know that it magnifies the sin, thus bringing it to my attention. That magnification of sin undoubtedly makes me more aware of it and makes me believe I am doing the sin more. The standards change. For example, when I learned about Matthew 18's call to try to work things out with someone rather than talk behind their backs, it seemed I was gossiping constantly. I didn't want to behave that way, but suddenly I realized it was very natural for me to do so. Until we learn about the state of the poor in the world and God's incessant call to help them, we don't notice how much money we waste on ourselves on stupid things. Our perspectives change when we come face-to-face with the law!

• 2 months later...

The thing is that we don't want to do what others tell us to - even if that person is God Himself.

So if God says "don't pick that fruit" we immediately run for it.

God has to tell us what is a sin and what is not because otherwise we don't know.

When I was a child, my mother warned me for things I better didn't discover myself.

• 3 weeks later...

Ignorance of the law is no excuse! So, not knowing doesn't mean we get a pass. Knowing the law allows us to choose which path we will take. As far as wanting what we are not supposed to have, I think that's "human nature"!

Q2. (Romans 7:7-8) The law reveals sin for what it is. Why wouldn't we be better off just not knowing that we should not covet, for example? Because sin is separate from the law. Sin still exists outside of the law and if we sin, we cannot be righteous and reconciled to God.

Why does the flesh respond to being told "Do not covet" by coveting all the more? I think that this comes back to man's seemingly natural propensity to sin. It is our default setting, and only through Jesus can we begin, through God's grace, to overcome that default setting to a setting of righteousness.

• 4 weeks later...

Since God loved (and still loves us)us, He gave us the law to have a code to live by that was pleasing to Him. The law was the law in the OT, and it did not matter that if they knew it all or not, people in the OT were responsible for obeying it or not obeying it. Christians today are still responsible for obeying God's word, and we need to know what it is so that sin can be revealed to us, and we can ask God for forgiveness and help in obeying Him. Unfortunately, although we know what sin to avoid, the devil wants to seduce us to "Go ahead, engage in whatever you want. It won't hurt you." This is his job, and he knows how to do it. Christians have to be stronger than the devil, and with God's help through the Holy Spirit, we can be! We can be victorious over the enemy of our souls. We must want to "Resist the wiles of the devil, and he will flee from us." James 4:7 It takes resolve and the help of the Holy Spirit to withstand temptation.