JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. The Indwelling and Fullness of the Spirit

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3a)It is not possible to be a Christian without HS. When a person believes in their heart &says that Jesus is the resurrected Lord, Father God sends the Holy Spirit as a gift to seal the adoption, guarantee spiritual inheritance &develop our character. :) B)We receive all the Spirit when it comes, but being filled to the full requires our cooperation, as it comes & goes if we quench the Spirit by choosing to live disobedient,ungrateful lives.1Thes5:19 B) c)We remain full if we chose to include the Spirit & die to self daily.He gives us the responsibility to seek his power &direction in our lives,studying his Word &listening to his voice each day. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Q3. (Romans 8:9) Is it possible to be a Christian without the Holy Spirit residing in us? What is the difference (if any) between the indwelling of the Spirit and the fullness of the Spirit? How do we remain "full" of the Spirit?

Answer:

1. Is it possible to be a Christian without the Holy Spirit residing in us

No.,.the Word clearly speaks,and interpret itself:

Romans 8:9- But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

1 Corinthians 3:16- Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you

We don

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (Romans 8:9) Is it possible to be a Christian without the Holy Spirit residing in us? What is the difference (if any) between the <i>indwelling</i> of the Spirit and the <i>fullness</i> of the Spirit? How do we remain "full" of the Spirit?

No, I do not believe it is possible to be a Christian without the Holy Spirit's indwelling; however, it is possible to live in defeat rather than alive in the Spirit. We remain "full" of the Spirit by sacrificing our lives to Him every single day and giving up our worldly desires for the things of Christ.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Romans 8:9) Is it possible to be a Christian without the Holy Spirit residing in us? What is the difference (if any) between the <i>indwelling</i> of the Spirit and the <i>fullness</i> of the Spirit? How do we remain "full" of the Spirit?

3. a. No, we cannot be a true Christian unless the Holy Spirit lives in us. When I surrendered my life to Christ, He sent His Holy Spirit to reside in me and I felt his glorious presence.

b. Upon salvation the Holy Spirit comes to indwell in us. The fullness is when we receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit with evidence of speaking in tongues (our heavenly language).

c. We remain full of the spirit by walking in the spirit not in the flesh and if we do sin, confess, repent of our sin, immediately putting it under the blood.

• 2 months later...

Q3. (Romans 8:9) Is it possible to be a Christian without the Holy Spirit residing in us?

Not really. We can be God fearing and believe God exists. We can be nominal Christians or simply belong to a Church, but without the Holy Spirit residing in us we aren't born again Christians. Without wanting to cause any dissension, one of the largest so called Christian denominations, which ironically considers itself the guardian and bastion of Christianity, is so far from being a Christian denomination and it's millions of members are living under a false premise.

What is the difference (if any) between the indwelling of the Spirit and the fullness of the Spirit? How do we remain "full" of the Spirit?

That's the eternal conundrum. Some denominations believe that there is no difference, while others believe there's a world of difference. Some believe that the Gifts of the Spirit are not in evidence today and have been withdrawn, while others go after them with a passion. I've personally seen churches split apart by arguments over whether to become a "Pentecostal" style church or remain a "reformed" style church. This typically happens when a new pastor is called who has not been totally up front regarding his stance on the gifts of the Spirit and once he's safely in, he springs it on his flock.

From a Pentecostal viewpoint, the difference between the indwelling of the Spirit and the fullness of the Spirit is in the manifestation of the Gifts of the Spirit, particularly the gift of tongues. I've gone forward at the invitation of the pastor at a new church in my neighborhood for the laying on of hands and to receive the "fullness of the Holy Spirit" as well as for healing of the physical pain I have to live with daily and the tongues didn't happen. That completely stumped the pastor and his assistant. I've never fallen over under the Power of the Spirit either. NEVER. They've dropped like flies to the right and the left of me but I've never gone down. Don't know why.

I don't have a clue how to remain "full" of the Spirit, whatever that means. Are we ever not full? I suppose it's like the seed that fell among the thorns sometimes. We do tend to crowd God out at times with the things of this life that threaten to overwhelm us. That I suppose could cause us to be "less full" that we could be when we've come under conviction from the Holy Spirit to let everything go and allow God to handle it. Sometimes however God seems to do absolutely nothing and it seems up to me to do the worrying and I seem to have no choice but to strive in my own strength to handle day to day problems and decisions.

I read the Bible every day and pray often. As far as I'm concerned it's up to God. Same with the gifts. He'd give them to me if He thought it was to my benefit I suppose. Tongues is the least of the gifts anyway. Why go after it when the others are more important? As far as I know God understands English.

• 5 weeks later...

The word Christian as an adjective means: of, pertaining to, believing in, or belonging to the religion based on the teachings of Jesus Christ: As a noun it means: a person who believes in Jesus Christ; adherent of Christianity. In this case, yes, I am a christian because I follow and uphold the teachings of Jesus Christ / God the Father and the Holy Spirit. I personally do not like the word religion because it makes me sound like I am religious, which I am not because I do not belong to any type of religion. However, I daily build on a relationship with Jesus Christ as my foundation.

The word Christian is only found three times in the King James Bible.

Acts 11:26

Acts 26:28

1 Peter 4:16

I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, and I pray that my life as lived, glorifies God. Without His Holy Spirit inside of me, I could not make it one more day. I accepted Jesus as my Savior, I believe that He died for my sins and that He rose again on the third day and now sits at the right hand of the throne and is interceding on our behalf. I did not ask for a fish to live inside of me, I asked for Jesus and His spirit dwells inside of me. I believe that Jesus Christ is God

• 2 months later...

Jesus mad it clear to all of us, he said "remain in me...." Almost a mission impossible for a person working and living in the world. But if we ask for help, and focus on the moment, God is with us. When we are "full" with the Spirit we are in eternity and working God's kingdom work only. I was told, "..be awake, aware prayerful and loving for all that is needed."

Jesus said, "remain in me" and his truth and love is only a good focused breath away. His love has no comparison.

• 4 months later...

Q3. (Romans 8:9) Is it possible to be a Christian without the Holy Spirit residing in us? What is the difference (if any) between the indwelling of the Spirit and the fullness of the Spirit? How do we remain "full" of the Spirit?

No.

We receive the Holy Spirit when we are saved, and we have evidence of the indwelling Spirit of God when we receive the gifts of the Spirit.

To remain full of the Spirit, I must remain IN the Spirit. This includes, prayer, praise, worship, and obedience.

No.

We receive the Holy Spirit when we are saved, and we have evidence of the indwelling Spirit of God when we receive the gifts of the Spirit.

To remain full of the Spirit, I must remain IN the Spirit. This includes, prayer, praise, worship, and obedience.

• 4 weeks later...

It is not possible to be a Christian without the Holy Spirit residing in us. I believe all Christians have the indwelling of the Spirit, but not all have the fullness. We can remain full of the Spirit by surrendering to him, by reading, meditating and declaring the scriptures, singing and praising God and being ever thirsty for more of him.

• 3 months later...

(Romans 8:9) Is it possible to be a Christian without the Holy Spirit residing in us? What is the difference (if any) between the indwelling of the Spirit and the fullness of the Spirit? How do we remain "full" of the Spirit?

Well, we can accept Jesus Christ as our Savior and trust in Him for salvation, but LIVING the Christian life is impossible without the Holy Spirit. The Spirit lives in us (indwelling), but to me, the fullness of the Spirit is when I allow Him to lead me and I listen to Him. We remain "full" of the Spirit by obeying the Spirit, not quenching the Spirit, and allowing Him to control our lives.

• 4 weeks later...

It is definitely NOT possible to be a Christian without the Holy Spirit residing in us. In fact Christians means little Christs, which implies Christ (Holy Spirit) residing in them.

The indwelling of the Spirit refers to the experience of inviting and receiving the Holy Spirit to dwell in our bodies. This takes place when we are born-again with the new Spirit Man, after accepting Jesus Christ as our Lord and saviour. The Holy Spirit is present to help us lead righteous and holy lives. It always present to advise us, to comfort us, to gives us strength, to nudge us into doing something or not to do something etc.

The fullness of the Spirit can be seen from the manifestations of Its work in our lives. Just having the Spirit residing in us may not show through our actions and thoughts. It is allowing the Spirit to govern our thoughts and actions that manifests the fullness of the Spirit. As Paul has said that we can quench the Holy Spirit, or stop the working of the Holy Spirit in our lives. So we may have the indwelling of the Spirit and yet show not evidence of the fullness of the Spirit if we do not allow the Holy Spirit to work in us.

We can remain "full" of the Spirit if we continue to allow the Holy Spirit to control all our thoughts and actions. In everything that we do we put Christ first and seek the Holy Spirit's counsel. The Holy Spirit also speaks to us through the Word of God. So we also need to regularly read and meditate on the Word to allow the Holy Spirit full access to our lives.

• 1 year later...

When we receive Christ we receive the Holy Spirit so He has to reside in us. I dont think there is any difference. By abiding in Christ, reading the Bible and praying

• 1 month later...

Romans 8:9. But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

1 Corinthian 6: 18Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body. 19What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

Ephesians 4: And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption

1 Corinthians 12: 1Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant. 2Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led. 3Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost. 4Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. 6And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. 7But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 11But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

A1. You cannot operate in Christ without the Spirit of God. You cannot even say he is Lord without the Spirit. Every man receives the Spirit of God when he is born again as a seal, as a gift, as the main operating component of his godliness through his faith in Christ. This is a given. Can you grieve him? sure you can. Will he depart? I don't have sound doctrine on this but if you grieve me, I would depart for a season until you repent. But Im not God.

A2. There is no difference in the spirit. One Spirit operates in us all but with diversity of gifts as we see in 1 Corinthians 12.

A3. I guess the ultimate question is "Are you dwelling with Christ fully?" Some people want to believe they can have one foot out and one foot in but you cannot be lukewarm with Christ.

Jude. 17But, dear friends, remember what the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ foretold. 18They said to you, “In the last times there will be scoffers who will follow their own ungodly desires.” 19These are the people who divide you, who follow mere natural instincts and do not have the Spirit. 20But you, dear friends, by building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, 21keep yourselves in God’s love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life.

You have the gift of the spirit if you speak in tongues an evidence that the Holy Spirit dwells in you, but you have the fullness of the spirit when you have the love of God shred abroad within your heart for all God's creation and any man that does not have this love has not he spirit of God and is not his AMEN

• 4 months later...

It is impossible to be a Christian without the resident Holy Spirit. I'm not quite sure about the difference between the indwelling of and the fullness of the Spirit is. I think that the indwelling happens at the moment we accept Jesus as our Savior and Lord and the fullness is when we are endued with Spiritual gifts. The Bible promised that God will never leave us or forsake us, therefore we are eternally indwelled by the Holy Spirit. But we should have our minds ever set on God's Word.

• 10 months later...

If a person has belief in and faith in Christ he is indwelt with the Holy Spirit, it would be impossible for a non believer to be indwelt or posses the spirit of Christ. A person who has the fullness of the Spirit of Christ is living his live in full for Christ, and indeed is most likely using the gifts the Spirit has given him. Though God does does not give the gifts in measure to believers, but the person living in the fullness of the Spirit recognizes these gifts and uses them for the edification of the church. To keep or remain in this fullness we must live our totally for Christ and the furtherance of his gospel.   

• 7 months later...

Q3. (Romans 8:9) Is it possible to be a Christian without the Holy Spirit residing in us? What is the difference (if any) between the indwelling of the Spirit and the fullness of the Spirit? How do we remain "full" of the Spirit?

No, according to Paul "...there is no such thing as a believer without the Spirit dwelling in his or her life."(Ben Witherington III,  Paul's Letter to the Romans (Erdmans:Grand Rapids, 2004,)217)  The Spirit indwells in all believers. The fullness of the Spirit seems to apply to one who has a degree of the Spirit where that one has the fruits of the Spirit in an abundance.

We can remind full in the Spirit by allowing the spirit full control of our lives. 

• 3 years later...

According to the verse, one would have to say no. The KJV is, perhaps a little more direct: Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. 

Not trying to be a wise guy but typo found:

"... Guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives (enoikeō) in us." (1 Timothy 1:14), is actually 2 Timothy 1:14

If there is a difference between the indwelling of the Spirit and the fullness of the Spirit, I would almost have to say that it would be a sort of terminology to describe the difference between one who has received the Spirit by accepting the gospel of Christ and confessing it, etc., and living a life where there is no outward appearance of salvation and one who is zealous for Christ(I don’t mean someone simply trying to push their own agenda).

• 2 years later...

You cannot be a Christian if you do not have the Holy Spirit dwelling inside of you.

You can be indwelt by the Spirit but not filled to overflowing. In order to be filled you have to ask for it and seek to be used by Him. You have to pray and continually ask God to fill you up. Singing hymns and songs and praying is one way to be filled all the time.

• 3 weeks later...

No because without the Holy Spirit there are no fruits of the Spirit to prove that the person is a believer. The  indwelling of the Spirit is when you are first born again and  baptized and confessed that you believe in Jesus Christ. The fullness is when you are  producing the fruits of the Spirit and everyone can see it. By constantly being in the word.

• 3 months later...

Q3. (Romans 8:9) Is it possible to be a Christian without the Holy Spirit residing in us?

The Scriptures are quite clear here in Rom. 8:9 and in other passages like Eph. 1:13-14 that the in dwelling of the Spirit is given by God in response to genuine faith at the moment of salvation. “In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation~having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is given as a pledge of our inheritance…” Jesus, in explaining to Nicodemus how a person could be brought into the kingdom of God, said, “unless one is born again” (Jn. 3:3) or is “born of the Spirit” (3:8) he can’t enter. 

What is the difference (if any) between the indwelling of the Spirit and the fullness of the Spirit?

So many admonitions   of Paul in various epistles indicate that believers who possess the indwelling of the Spirit are not necessarily living in the fullness of the Spirit. [1 Thess. 5:19, Eph. 4:30-31] It is entirely possible for believers to hinder, neglect, grieve and quench the Spirit by allowing sin to remain unaddressed in our lives. The Spirit may dwell in our house but He’s sequestered to a closet and not given free range of the entire place. We can be complacent Christians who live defeated, ineffective lives that lack the fullness of joy, victory over sin, and fruit bearing that is possible when the Spirit reigns without limits.

How do we remain "full" of the Spirit?

~Daily surrendering to the Lordship of Christ, nourishing our souls with the Word, repenting of known sin, fellowshipping with the body of Christ, seeking and praising Him in prayer, committing to obey Him in action. I’ve learned through experience that my relationship with Christ must be fresh, intentional and in the present-tense to be viable. My walk will become stale and lifeless without my active pursuit and daily surrender/dependence on the person of the Holy Spirit. His  controlling presence must be welcomed and yielded to in love and glad allegiance.

• 2 months later...

Put briefly, Acts 2:38, says:

Repent

Accept the will of God

Be baptized 

Receive the gift if the Holy Spirit

Thus answer to the possibility of being a Christian w/o the Holy Spirit dwelling in us, is 'no'. 

So once we accept Christ as Lord and Saviour we are being indwelt by the Holy Spirit. We allow Him to take control of our lives. As we daily feed on the Word and live 'the Word' and allow Him more and more access to take complete control we experience more and more the fullness of the Spirit. The fruit of the Spirit will be seen in our lives, as we will no longer be controlled by the flesh. 

Should we give in to the desires of the flesh and take over control of our lives, we grieve the Spirit, the Fruit is no longer visible, the 'being full of the Spirit' is no longer true because "self" will have taken over the controlls. 

• 2 years later...

The Bible states that all believers in Christ have the Spirit living IN them. I don't know of any competing verses that would suggest that some Christians do not have His indwelling Spirit.

BUt ... to what degree does the Spirit live in us? It seems to be our responsibility to push out competing ideas and interests so the Spirit can take up more of our mental "real estate." Free will means we can not only reject the Spirit actively, but reject Him passively by not giving Him notice, attention or time.

Letting the Spirit indwell us is and act of submission. When we submit to God and die to ourselves, we make space for God to dwell. As we continually die to the fleshly things that occupy our minds and the earthly habits and concerns that take up so much time, we give God more space to dwell in us. Our mental houses become more "full" of Him. We can never be "fully full" but in our earthly lives only partly full for there will be always more of us that needs to be forcibly pushed aside, submitted, as it were, to God. Then, that empty space can be filled by the Spirit.

There is a concept in charismatic churches of the second baptism and a fullness of the Spirit but it seems to me that any Christian could have more and more of Him if they submitted to His cleansing. Having said this, clearly some people display more of the spiritual gifts in their lives than others. 

One thing I do not understand is the Spirit's role in pushing out competing thoughts. Is this wholly on us? Are we responsible for cleaning out our minds so the Spirit can more fully indwell us, or, does the Spirit Himself clean us from within, or enable/strengthen/help us in this regard?