JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. A Defeatist Attitude toward Sin

Q4. (Romans 8:12) Do we have to sin? Are we compelled to sin? Is it possible to live for two hours of wakefulness without sinning? Four hours? One day? Two days?

ANS - We do NOT have to sin. Absolutely not. We are set free in Christ; and are controlled by the Holy Spirit, as we live in Him and stay yielded to Him. Sin is no longer our task master. We are a bond servant to Jesus Christ.

Where do we Christians get such a defeatist attitude towards sin? From Scripture?

ANS - Frankly, in my many years of being a Christian, I have never run into someone who says we have to sin, as Christians. Maybe this comes from the world value system, and our carnal nature within us.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we have to sin?

No...we are now in Christ Jesus and have been set free.

Are we compelled to sin?

No....we may thrick ourselves into thinking in this way, to give us a free pass card, but it is not true.

Is it possible to live for two hours of wakefulness without sinning? Four hours? One day? Two days?

Yes...yes....yes....and yes.....

Where do we Christians get such a defeatist attitude towards sin? From Scripture?

I think we get it because we have sinned solong in our old nature that we want to hink we "just can't help it"....but we have been set free by the blood of Jesus.

• 3 weeks later...

We are not compelled to sin but is you look at the Sermon on the Mount even driving down the street and somebody cuts you off and you curse them or condemn them in you mind then you have sinned. Even looking at someone of the opposite sex wearing sexy clothes and your thought wonder, then according to the Sermon on the Mount you have sinned. So if you look at the words in the Sermon on the Mount, I can see how Christians get such a defeatist attitude toward sin. But thanks to Jesus Christ my savior, I have been saved.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Q4. (Romans 8:12) Do we have to sin? Are we compelled to sin? Is it possible to live for two hours of wakefulness without sinning? Four hours? One day? Two days? Where do we Christians get such a defeatist attitude towards sin? From Scripture?

Praise God that we are no longer compelled to sin. We are not obligated to live in sin any longer. We have a new nature directed by the Spirit of Christ. We still sin sometimes because we are physical beings in a fallen world but we can live free from sin much of the time if we submit ourselves to walk in the Spirit. "Greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world."

• 1 month later...

Q4. (Romans 8:12) Do we have to sin? Are we compelled to sin? Is it possible to live for two hours of wakefulness without sinning? Four hours? One day? Two days? Where do we Christians get such a defeatist attitude towards sin? From Scripture?

4. a & b. No, we do not have to sin, nor are we compelled to sin. God forbid, how shall we that are dead to sin live any longer therein.

c.d. Yes, it is possible to live for two hours and even four hours of wakefulness without sinning.

e.f. One & two days maybe not, when we slip back into the flesh, but, if we confess our sin, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sin and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

g. Defeatist attitude ... from our flesh.

h. Not from scripture, because the scripture states "The law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus has set me free from the law of sin and death."

• 1 month later...

As Christian we do not have to sin as stated in Romans 12 and Romans 6:14 NLT Sin is no longer your master, for you no longer live under the requirements of the law. Instead, you live under the freedom of God’s grace. Yes it is possible not to sin for that length of time asked if we continually submit to the voice and instruction of the Holy Spirit. verse 12 states we are under no obligation to do what our sinful nature urges us to do. But we will still slip up from time to time because 1 John 1:8 tells us so.

I think Christians get a defeatist attitude toward sin because we have not fully understood that by walking by the Spirit means that we do not have to sin. We think because we are still mortal and fleshly that we will sin whether we want to or not and do not put for the effort and discipline to resist temptations and submit to the Holy Spirit (be filled with the Spirit) as they come our way. It is definitely not Scriptural as the book of Romans tells us.

• 1 month later...

Q4. (Romans 8:12) Do we have to sin? Are we compelled to sin?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say yes. That is until we are totally sanctified by the Holy Spirit dwelling in us. Sin is a habit and until and unless God, by the indwelling Holy Spirit, helps us to break EVERY sinful habit I believe we have no choice BUT to sin, however occasionally. You're working on the car and your wrench slips and you skin your knuckles. I'll bet you cuss, even if it is only in your mind and you don't say it out loud. That's just one example. Life is full to the brim with temptations to sin without anyone knowing except you and God. While we still live in the tent of the flesh I believe we are always going to sin. I'll go to my grave believing that.

Is it possible to live for two hours of wakefulness without sinning?

Most probably.

Four hours?

It all depends on whether there is any stimulus (temptation)

One day?

No.

Two days?

Mother Theresa couldn't go two days without sinning. No one could.

Well, I got my attitude from life's experience. Jesus Himself said that there will always be things that lead people to sin. While we are still living in the tent of flesh we will sin. The important thing to remember is that Jesus is at the right hand of the Father interceding for us. If we confess our sins He is faithful and just and forgives us from all unrighteousness.

• 5 weeks later...

No, we do NOT have to sin

• 3 months later...

Q4. (Romans 8:12) Do we have to sin? Are we compelled to sin? Is it possible to live for two hours of wakefulness without sinning? Four hours? One day? Two days? Where do we Christians get such a defeatist attitude toward sin? From Scripture?

No, we neither have to, nor are we compelled to sin. HOWEVER, we do occasionally fall into sin.

Is it possible to go several hours or days without sinning? Although we have been set free by Christ, we are no longer slaves to sin. However, we will still find times when we fall short of the grace of god and need His forgiveness for our slip-ups.

• 3 months later...

I believe that my flesh is at war with my spirit, and as such, I am constantly being enticed or tempted to do or say various things that don't line up with the Word of God. No, I don't have to sin. It is possible to live without sinning. However, the war between good and evil rages on, and it will until such time as God sees fit to end it. Until then, I know that, when I do sin, I have an Advocate in Jesus, and He will vindicate me!

• 4 weeks later...

We do not have to sin and are not compelled to. It is possible to live for days without sinning because we have the sinless Holy Spirit living in us. Any defeatist attitude is not from scripture, but from our own misconceptions and failures, and perhaps dis-empowering teaching. We need to spend a lot of time with God and studying his word and get away from the things of the world, as they are opposed to the things of God.

• 3 months later...

(Romans 8:12) Do we have to sin? Are we compelled to sin? Is it possible to live for two hours of wakefulness without sinning? Four hours? One day? Two days? Where do we Christians get such a defeatist attitude towards sin? From Scripture?

I believe that as long as we live in this body, we will sin. There are times when we don't even know we are sinning. A wrong thought, an unkind word, or even a lustful thought can often pop into the minds of believers. Is that sinning? Yes? That is why we must confess our sins daily. Because we contend with the world, the flesh, and the devil,

I believe we don't have to be slaves to sin. By that I mean we are not compelled to walk in the flesh nor are we obligated to do so. We are human beings. We are not perfect. If we were sinless, I believe we'd be gone from this world. If we can go without sinning, why are we told to confess our sins.

Can we go a certain length of time without sinning? I'm going to go against the crowd and say "no." As stated before, there are times when we don't even know we are sinning. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying we LIVE in sin, but what I am saying is that as long as we live in these sinful bodies, we will sin. However, thank God for 1 John 1:9.

• 4 weeks later...

No we do not have to sin because the moment we accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and saviour, our sins are forgiven and a New Spirit Man is created. This new man can overcome sin through the help of the Holy Spirit and thus does not have to sin. Christ died on the cross to redeem us and to release us from the bondage of sin. We have victory over sin and so do not have to sin.

We are not compelled to sin as we already have victory over sin because of Christ's death on the cross. We sin because of the worldly pressures around us and our choice not to receive the counsel of the Holy Spirit. We are not compelled but deliberately choose to sin.

Whether it is 2 hours, 4 hours, 1 day or 2 days, it all depends on our resolve to allow the Holy Spirit to work in us. However it is just logical to conclude that the longer we live surrounded by the worldly pleasures the harder it is to keep away from sin. Spending time in prayer and reading the word of God will help us win this struggle with the desires of the flesh.

I believe this defeatist attitude towards sin is not really from the scripture. I however do agree that there have been many examples of men of God sinning in the Bible, which has led some to have this defeatist belief. This defeatist attitude can also viewed as man's justification or excuse to sin.

• 1 year later...

We dont have to sin if we have the Spirit in us. We are not compelled to sin because we have Christ and His power. Jesus was perfect. We are not. We will sin many times because of our imperfection. But we can always ask for forgiveness and repent and we will be forgiven. If we remain vigilant with our minds and our eyes on Jesus we will have victory. For those who have addictive behaviour we have to crucify the fleshly desires of our ****. We have the victory through Christ

• 1 month later...

Yes we can go without sinning if we are constantly walking and praying in the Spirit. Now will we do this? More than likely not. So if we cannot, it is only because we are not walking according to the word of God.

Galatians 5: Living by the Spirit -- 16This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the **** of the flesh. 17For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. 18But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law. 19Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. 22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. 24And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. 25If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

1 Corinthians 10:13 - There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

James 1: 13When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; 14but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. 15Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death. 16Don’t be deceived, my dear brothers and sisters. 17Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. 18He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created.

People get their defeatist attitude towards sin from this statement: You will be sinning until the day Jesus comes back. That statement right there defeated the Holy Spirit and made him powerless n your life.

We have to begin to break these bad strongholds in our lives and put on the good strongholds of God through the word of God and the power of the Holy Spirit.

• 4 months later...

We do not have to sin, nor are we compelled to sin. It is possible to live sinless lives, however we do fall into sin occasionally. we do not get a defeatest attitude toward sin from the Bible, but from satan, the father of all lies.

• 10 months later...

As the apostle Paul teaches in Romans, all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. We as Christians are not compelled to sin, we have been set free from the slavery of sin. Though we try to keep Christ in our thoughts even when rising from sleep or just from a few hours our mind seems to drift to ways of fleshly thinking, being we are living in world of sin, we get that attitude that we have sinned whether we have or not. The devil keeps bombarding us with doubts in our lives whether we are Christ or not, That is why we are to put on the armor of Christ so that we can avoid his fiery darts, he even causes us at times to doubt scripture itself. Praise to be God He helps us in hour of trails and tribulations that come our way either from Satan himself or just natural life itself. We are no different from non believers, we will have troubles, but the Lord has promised to never leave us on our own.       

• 7 months later...

Sin is inherent in our natural mortal bodies. By ourselves we are not ab le to not sin, yet with the power of the Spirit  living in us we are able to champion over sin. we know and are able, with the aid of the spirit to conquer but our natural bodies do commit sins. Paul writes in v.13 "For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live"  Here Paul is saying that by the Spirit the misdeeds of the body are mortified. It is not us that kills sin-we are unable. But by the Spirit we are able to control sin and in the end when we are completely we will have victory over death and stand covered by a cloak of righteousness provided by the Lord we stand before the judge and are lovingly accepted into the kingdom of God. Our presence life with the Holy spirit is a guarantee of the promise of God for the future of the Day of the Lord. 

Our defeatist attitude comes from not living our lives completely in the Spirit- where the in is from the Greek 'en'  which  carries the meaning "under the control of, under the influence of, in close association with. (notes)

• 3 years later...

Do we have to sin? No, we don’t have to sin. We have been set free of the law of sin. “For all have sinned?” In that verse the key is the ‘ned’ added to the word sin. That makes it a past tense meaning we have sinned, as in the past but this brings up verses that always come to mind when this subject presents itself: Matthew 5:48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. And Matthew 19:21 Jesus answered,

"If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." There are other similar verses, but these ones get the point across. Jesus is saying be perfect, like our Father is. It was in a previous Bible study that I learned that perfect, (according to Greek grammar, which by the way, is all Greek to me) means living the way we should, even though we will err from time to time.

Are we compelled to sin? No. Why do we sin then? The definition of compelled means force, pressure, press, push, urge, dragoon, browbeat, bully, intimidate, strong-arm; oblige, require, make; and regardless of which word is part of the attack by Satan against you, it is ultimately up to YOU. Satan has an endless supply of tactics to get you to deny Christ, and like the wolf, relentless work at wearing you down. Sometimes it even comes down to whether or not you are willing to give your life for your belief in Christ. The verse,  Matthew 24:24  For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect tells us that deception is the trigger behind all weapons. We get tricked into sinning. Jesus said in Mathew 5:28 “But I say unto you, that whosoever looketh on a woman to **** after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. How easy is it to get duped into thinking the wrong thing? Emotions can be fired simply by watch the news or when something happens to a loved one. Our need for Christ is bigger than we could possibly imagine. Stay in constant communication with our Father in Heaven through the name of Jesus always.

Is it possible to live for two hours of wakefulness without sinning? Four hours? One day? Two days? Although it is possible if living in the Spirit and in constant commune with God, it seems we all eventually slip in wet grass along our path. How much control of your emotions do you have? Two days? Can you stay in a constant state of prayer that long without distraction? Satan will not give up. Don’t quit.

Where do we Christians get such a defeatist attitude towards sin? From Scripture? We get this attitude from everywhere you might venture to on the earth. Out in the world you will be called a hypocrite and asked if you really think you are that perfect and pious all because you refuse to go their way and told over and over that nobody is or can be perfect. Possible later in the same day you might hear it from a brother in Christ or even a well-meaning pastor trying to comfort you when you do make a mistake. Many people twist scripture into thinking that sin is going to happen whether you like it or not, verses like “for all have sinned”, when the verse is speaking in a different tense.

I wish I could be the person I would like to be and even though I refuse to believe I can’t be perfect, even the way Jesus already claimed it for us, if that day would come I would not need Jesus and that, would be the worst sin I could do.

• 2 years later...

No we do not have to sin nor are we compelled to sin. We are free from all that because of Jesus death on the cross.

Yes it is possible to live for an hour or more and not sin.

We get bad attitudes towards sin when we rely on the flesh and not the Spirit. We are more than conquerors through Him! 

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. (Romans 8:12) Do we have to sin? Are we compelled to sin? Is it possible to live for two hours of wakefulness without sinning? Four hours? One day? Two days?

No we do not nor are we compelled to either for we are Christ's church and He gave us all we need to completely go without sinning. Yes it is.

• 4 months later...

Q4. (Romans 8:12) Do we have to sin? Are we compelled to sin? Is it possible to live for two hours of wakefulness without sinning? Four hours? One day? Two days?

Paul has labored thus far in the chapters we’ve been studying to conclusively teach that we no longer have to sin nor are we compelled to sin because “the law of sin and of death”  no longer rules in the born again believer. Rather the “law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free” (Rom.8:2). We also understand that although sin and its power have been defeated and mortally weakened for the child of God, it hasn’t been annihilated. Hence, Paul tells us “do not let sin reign…and do not go on presenting the members of your body (6:12-13). There’s still a fight to be waged. Growing in holiness is the life long business of the true believer. I understand the Bible to teach that on this side of glory we will not achieve sinlessness, but we can and should demonstrate increasing victory over sin and lives that look more and more like Christ. (2 Cor. 3:18, Phil. 1:6, 3:12-14, 1 Jn. 3:2-3, 1 Pet. 1:5-8) 

We love the idea of grace and forgiveness, and indeed we have these in Christ. But we trample upon them when we herald them as an “easy pass” for ongoing sin. Sadly also, many of our pulpits lower the bar of God’s standard and His eternal purpose for those who have been redeemed by His sacrifice. A defeatist attitude is only an excuse for staying stuck, lukewarm, and denying the power available to us. If I or anyone else finds ourselves there in that awful hamster wheel of defeat, there is a remedy. We can get back on track and there is grace and forgiveness for us. Victory will begin with repentance and then nurtured by a resolved surrendered to His Lordship, getting in the Word, fellowship, accountability, perhaps new friends/influences and forsaking of old  ones are needed. 2 Pet.1:3 boldly proclaims that “His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence.”