JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. A Defeatist Attitude toward Sin

No, we do not have to sin because Christ has set us free.

We are not compelled to sin because we are not addicted to sin. Christ's death has set us free from sins power.

Christians get a defeatist attitude toward sin not from Scripture, but from pursueing the works of the flesh.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, we do not have to sin. We are not compelled to sin. It is possible to live hours of wakefulness without sinning. I don't think the defeatist attitude comes from Scripture - I think it comes from an emphasis on some parts of scripture. We are told over and over that all are sinners and fall short of the glory of God, when the emphasis and repetitiveness should be on living a life that glorifies God, one that reaps the fruit of the Spirit.

• 3 weeks later...

We aren't compelled nor do we have to sin. We can live without sinning as long as we are seeking God's face, keeping our focus on him. I think it's the world that discourages us and causes us to doubt. When we start looking at the physical instead of the spiritual we start to doubt.

• 4 weeks later...

Q4. (Romans 8:12) Do we have to sin? Are we compelled to sin? Is it possible to live for two hours of wakefulness without sinning? Four hours? One day? Two days? Where do we Christians get such a defeatist attitude towards sin? From Scripture?

I can't speak for anyone but me, and I was taught that man will sin-it's the natire of the beast. Because we have an Advocate-Jesus-we can ask to be forgiven, and will be. I think sometimes I sin without knowing, and sometimes I sin without thinking about it. When I'm around younger people and they cuss, or tell a dirty joke, I sometimes snicker or smile, and then I have to correct myself, cause I know it's wrong to participate in these kinds of behavior. This includes asking God to forgive me, in Jesus' name.

We should always be like the Bereans-search the Scriptures to see if we're being taught right.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Q4. (Romans 8:12) Do we have to sin? Are we compelled to sin? Is it possible to live for two hours of wakefulness without sinning? Four hours? One day? Two days? Where do we Christians get such a defeatist attitude towards sin? From Scripture?

if we can stay out of the world we are not compelled to sin. But sin is anything that you think do or say that breaks Gods laws. And it is impossible in this world to not come in contact with sin. And there fore we sin also by wrong thoughts. We can live without sin if we stay in the Scriptures and around Christians who are also trying not to sin. All have sinned and come short of the glory of God. We get such a deafestest attitutude because the world brings bad thoughts into our lives. Like Lot we are vexed by an unholy world.

• 3 weeks later...

If not for the grace of God. I don't think we have to sin but are compelled to do so. Is it possible to go hours or even days without sinning? I think we can. It all depends if we allow ourselves to be led by the Spirit. Unfortunately we are in a life where we are bent a certain way. We are so easily influenced by external forces; like sheep to the slaughter we follow our emotions of anger, ****, revenge. God knows our nature; that's why He sent us a Savior. The good thing is He is greater than our sin. We are convicted but not defeated by sin. We can always get back on the path the Spirit will lead us down.

• 4 months later...

No, we do not have to sin. No we are not compelled or addicted to sin. There is no designated time frame for sin. "Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation---but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it." We no longer have to sin; we have been set free by Christ from slavery to sin.

The cry of the "wretched man" is usurped by the rescuer or the law of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus.

Q4. (Romans 8:12)

• Do we have to sin? We do not have to sin as the death of Christ has set us free from the power of sin.
  • Are we compelled to sin?We don't have to live according to the flesh. We no longer have to sin. We have been set free by Christ from slavery to sin, or the compulsion of sin.
  • Is it possible to live for two hours of wakefulness without sinning? Four hours? One day? Two days? Yes, this is possible because we have been set free by Christ from slavery to sin.
  • Where do we Christians get such a defeatist attitude towards sin? From Scripture? I believe this defeatist attitude comes from a misunderstanding of Scripture.Paul concludes this section with a bold statement:

"Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation -- but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it." (8:12)icon1.gif

• 1 month later...

[ No we do not have to sin. No we are not compelled or forced to sin. I beleive it is possible not to sin for a few hours if one really works hard at it, but Jesus said even if we think it then it is a sin. I think we would have to be perfect not to sin, I am not saying we intentionally sin, but we do fall short of Christ. I get my strength and attitude from the scriptures. DEFEATIST means : one who too readily accepts defeat.: So no, if one is giving in to sin so soon it does not come from scripture, it is because one is weak and is not totally walking with Christ. 1st John 4 vs 4 " You are of God, little children, and have over com them, because He who is in you is greater then he who is in the world." Because of Jesus we can over come sin, it is not easy but we can do it with Christ. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I dont want to sin but I do , I work against sinning but I cant say that I have a spotless sinless life.

My waking hours are aware hours that sin abounds, I walk in a newness of life I am no longer a slave to sin, thankfully through the working of the Holy Spirit I dont have a sin habit that I must satisty.

Jesus my Lord has removed the need from within me to sin because of my old nature.

• 1 month later...

We do not have to sin...before we accepted Christ as our Lord and Saviour we were slaves to sin...but with Christ defeating death we no longer are slaves to sin ...rather we are slaves to righteousness.

It is not so much we are compelled to sin but rather we because of our fall are in the habit of sinning. We listen to our flesh rather than to the Holy Spirit who resides in us. If we could take capture of every thought that we have and made the right decisions we could live a sinless life. We have the defeatist attitude because we listen to the lies of the enemy. He does not want us to know the power that we have through Christ. He wants to keep us tied down and defeated. The Scripture tells us we no longer slaves to sin but rather live with the power of the Holy Spirit ..that is the same power that raised Christ from the dead...that is the power of our Lord God Almighty.

Q4. (Romans 8:12)

1.Do we have to sin?

2.Are we compelled to sin?

3.Is it possible to live for two hours of wakefulness without sinning? Four hours? One day? Two days?

4.Where do we Christians get such a defeatist attitude towards sin? From Scripture?

A4.

1.No we don't have to sin.

2.No we don't force ourselves to sin

3.yes we can do that without sinning for four hours,one day,and two days.

4.sometimes for ourselves we have the Holy Ghost to help us been good.We're not slaves to sin, we are the slaves to God is because God forgives our sins so that's why we are the slaves the God.

Q4. (Romans 8:12) Do we have to sin? Are we compelled to sin? Is it possible to live for two hours of wakefulness without sinning? Four hours? One day? Two days? Where do we Christians get such a defeatist attitude towards sin? From Scripture

no we do not have to sin. no we are not. you do not have to sin so you can go for your whole life with out sin. we get it from people not the scripture.

Rom 8:12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh.

No we who have accepted Jesus Christ don't have to sin .Nobody has to sin ,but yet we still do it.Yes it is possible to go along time with out sinning.

• 3 months later...

I love that this idea is being taught because it is often neglected. It is incorrect for a Christian to called herself a "sinner." Even if you sin sometimes, your identity is not one of a sinner. There is a big difference. If you tell your child, "You told a lie," that is much different from, "You are a liar!" The latter implies that the child's whole identity is that of a liar, not that he committed a bad action. The latter is defeatist and degrading. Constantly Christians are using Scripture (mostly the Romans verse--"for all have fallen short. . .") to justify the label of "sinner" while ignoring Paul's thorough and logical theology outlined in Romans. I don't blame the world for this. I also think Christians worry about looking judgmental and pious in front of others, so they self-identify themselves as "sinners" to soften their approach when evangelizing. While I understand the intention behind this, I don't believe it is accurate. Yes, we sin, but we are not compelled to. We should not call ourselves "sinners" but "children of God."

• 1 month later...

Wow, this study is turning into a real revelation for me. This is amazing stuff (and I have to say, when I first read this whole passage, I thought what on earth does that mean!!) The short answer to this question is an emphatic NO. We are not compelled to sin. Our flesh has a habit of sinning, but with the spirit dwelling in us, we do not have to sin. Where do we get our defeatist attitude from? Satan, but Christ has already won the victory over Satan and sharing in that victory is ours for the taking!

No, we are not compelled to sin, but we do because we are weak sometimes. This topic has been of discussion at my home as my husband is frustrated with hearing in church every week what horrible sinners we are. I never paid much attention to that, because I know Jesus forgives me when I mess up, but now when I listen, I hear how many times I am called a miserable sinner! Not sure where that will lead us, but I keep knowing that I am saved by Christ.

• 1 month later...

Romans 8:12 Do we have to sin? No. Are we compelled to sin? No. When we have the Spirit of God living within us, we will not want to sin. Is it possible to live for two hours of wakefulness without sinning? Yes, it is. It is possible to live our lives without sinning. Where do we Christians get such a defeatist attitude toward sin? From the Holy Spirit living within us, which is varified through the scripture. Anyone who has the Holy Spirit living within them will not want to sin. Sinning is a choice that people make.

• 1 month later...

We don't have to sin nor are we compelled to sin if we really have the Spirit of Christ within us and if we focus our mind on the Spirit. The Bible says that "we have an obligation - but not to the sinful nature". We have been delivered from the law of sin and of death by the sacrifice of Christ. If we continue to live in sin, then Christ died in vain! The Scripture never tells us that we cannot break free from sin; on the contrary, it gives us so much hope and strength in our victory over it. The battle has already been won, by Christ. As long as we keep our mind in Him and pray constantly in faith, He will not deliver us into temptation, but keep us from the evil one.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=818

Rom 8:12 So then, my friends, we have an obligation, but it is not to live as our human nature wants us to.

No we don't have to sin and no we are not compelled to sin, it is just our weak human nature (flesh) that lets us down. No I don't think so, we even sin in our sleep, lustful dreams etc. We have a choice.

The defeatist attitude comes from Satan, the father of all liars and the biggest deciever. He wants nothing more than to see us fall. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Q4. (Romans 8:12) Do we have to sin? Are we compelled to sin?

We do not have to sin. We are not compelled to sin. We no longer have to sin. We have been set free by Christ from slavery to sin, or the compulsion of sin. Jesus came to show us the way to eternal life and the road is not a roar where sin abides.

Is it possible to live for two hours of wakefulness without sinning? Four hours? One day? Two days?

It is possible for us to live for two hours and more of wakefulness without sinning. Paul reminds us,"For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death." (Rom. 8:2)

Where do we Christians get such a defeatist attitude towards sin? From Scripture?

We get this defeatist attitude toward sin fron the influences of the enemy, he would like for us to believe that it is not possible to live without sinning so that when we fall to sin we feel that we've only done what was inevitable. We have been set free from sin. Let's live that way!

• 2 weeks later...

We can't help being sinners.

We can't avoid to sin every now and then.

This doesn't mean that we have to sin.

If I feel like doing something bad, I don't have to give in.

If you think the enemy is stronger, you don't fight him with all power.

Satan is just one of those enemies.

If we believe Jesus will beat him, we don't have to be afraid.

Then we don't have to give in.