JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Promise of Romans 8:28

Q1. (Romans 8:28) What is the actual promise contained in verse 28? What does this promise mean? Put it in your own words.

ANS - As we live as believers, and love Him, we know that He has a design and purpose in our life. This being the case we have the promise that whatever happens to us, happens for a purpose, and he will take that circumstance or situation, if it is bad, depressing, or discouraging, and turn it into good to fulfill his overall purpose for our life. And this may not even happen in our own lifetime, but in the eternity of God's bigger plan. I think of the many martyrs for Christ. I think of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, the German minister, who stood for Christ in Hitler's Germany and gave up his life in prison.

What are the two qualifications to the recipients of this promise? How does verse 28 give you hope?

ANS - We must love Him and have accepted His call upon our life. Yes, this gives GREAT hope! What an encouragement!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the actual promise contained in verse 28?

The promise that God works ALL things for good for those who love Him....

What does this promise mean? Put it in your own words.

This promise means that because I have chosen to love and serve Christ Jesus that any circumstance....good, bad, unfair, wrong....that my God can change it for my good because I love Him.

What are the two qualifications to the recipients of this promise?

To have been called and taken the step to believe.

How does verse 28 give you hope?

It gives me hope in a world of despair that my Abba Father is always looking out for my good.

• 2 weeks later...

The actual promise contained in verse 28 is that God works for the good of those who love him.

This promise means that if we do the things that God has called us to do then what happens will be for the good of the Kingdom and things will work together to accomplish this.

The two qualifications to the recipients of this promise is that you Love God and that they have been called for his purpose.

Yes, verse 28 does give me hope knowing that even in bad times things will be worked out for the glory of the Kingdom.

8a) In all things God works for the good of those who love him. :) B)For those who have responded positively to his invitation to follow him, God works in them & where they are for his purposes & their good.It should therefore mean in every situation I am faced with I know that God is actively working in a variety of different ways to bring that which is beneficial for me. B) c)2 qualifications for the recipients to receive this promise &it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Q1. (Romans 8:28) What is the actual promise contained in verse 28? What does this promise mean? Put it in your own words. What are the two qualifications to the recipients of this promise? How does verse 28 give you hope?

Answer:

Romans 8:28And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

The actual promise from this verse is that God will sustain His elect.Those who beleive in His Son.This verse is an anticipation for the troubles,and persecution that beleivers will suffer,giving the beleivers confidence that He will never leave nor forsake Him,that in the end,everything will turn out to be good for those who hold on to their faith.

The two qualifications I can think of are:FAITH and HOPE.

Faith in God and Jesus Christ whom He has send to save mankind.

Hope is my positive response to that Faith that it will come to pass.IT WILL HAPPEN.All of God's promises are yes and Amen.

Corinthians 1:20-For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us.

Q1. (Romans 8:28) What is the actual promise contained in verse 28? What does this promise mean? Put it in your own words. What are the two qualifications to the recipients of this promise? How does verse 28 give you hope?

God promises successful lives for His followers. I believe that this means that He will bless us with everything we need. The promise if for those who love God and have been called by Him. It gives us hope that our lives of service will not be in vain.

• 3 weeks later...

The actual promise that God made in this verse is that all good things will work together for those who love him.

This means that for all who love God, if you have hopes & dreams and you wish to pursue it then God will make it happen, but only if it is in conjunction with his purpose. If your calling is to start a children

• 4 weeks later...

1. a. God causes all things to work together for good to them that love him, to them that are called according to His purpose.

b. That if I love God and I am going through difficult circumstances is serving the Lord, not to be alarmed, to be patient in suffering because He will bring me out, bringing glory to Him.

c. To those who love God, To those who are called according to His purpose.

d. No matter what circumstance we are in when serving God, He will deliver us.

• 1 month later...

The actual promise in verse 28 is that God will cause whatever happens in one who loves Him life to work together for that person's good. It means that come what may, that God will cause the good and the bad to work together. He will take every piece and put them together and make things work out for those who love Him, true believers, obedient servants. This especially points to building the character and the image of Jesus Christ that trials involve. The two qualifications for the recipeints are that they love God and are called (and responded positively) according to His purpose. This verse gives a person hope in knowing that whatever is going on in their lives, whatever the suffering, and pain and crisis that we are going through that we can have confidence that God knows and that He will make things right for us in the end. That He will cause something good to come out of the situation.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Romans 8:28) What is the actual promise contained in verse 28? What does this promise mean? Put it in your own words.

No matter what circumstances we may find ourselves in, God is working to make things work for our eventual good . . . if we love Him and are called by Him.

Those who love God and are called according to His purpose

Well, to be honest, there are times when it doesn't give me all that much hope, except to perhaps cause me to believe in the Calvinistic viewpoint that God chooses who is going to be saved and who isn't and that many of us are trying our best (including praying to God and reading the Bible till we're blue in the face) to be Christians and failing every test! "Many are called but few are chosen" rings in my ears whenever my prayers go unanswered or seemingly completely ignored. I've accepted Christ as my Savior and really desire to serve Him and I can't even save my own family. My daughter went from being a Godly child to being a drug addict!

When I feel led by God through circumstances such as a door being opened and an opportunity to perhaps serve God presents and I prepare to go through that door in faith . . then a personal catastrophe happens like losing my job or smashing my car or someone badmouthing me badly enough so that I have no credibility and I'm unable to do that service, I often wonder if I simply haven't been chosen, or predestined.

When I prayed to God hundreds of times to help heal my marriage years ago, yet here I sit divorced, and I know God didn't want me to get divorced but to live with my wife till death us do part, I wonder if I'm simply not one of God's chosen or elected people. Many people tell me that it's just Satan filling my mind with doubt, but the evidence is there. Then I go to the Bible and sure enough there'll be a passage right in front of my eyes that reinforces the Calvinistic doctrine.

When I read how "My God will supply all your needs" and I lose so much work that I have to drain my meager savings account to keep on living, I have to wonder just when God is actually going to start working things out for my eventual good.

I've known a couple for 40 years now. The guy was my best man. They were very committed Christians. Their oldest son has been to jail numerous times for car theft and drug offenses, their daughter had her kids out of wedlock. They no longer even go to Church and I don't blame them. They MUST have prayed for God's protection and care over their children for many years and look at the result!

If anyone is reading this please get back to me and let's examine what the problem could be, apart from my faltering explanation!

• 1 month later...

The promise in this verse is that God/Christ will be with those who work for Him. If we strive to do God

• 3 months later...

The exact promises of Vs. 28: God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to his purpose.

The promise means that God is working on the behalf of us who love Him and are devoted; those of us who accepted His invitation when called.

The two qualifications to the recipients of this promise are those who love God and those who are called according to his purpose.

How does vs. 28 give me hope? I know that God is always working on my behalf. Giving me what I need in the way of spiritual growth, protection, love and His grace.

• 4 months later...

The promise is that all things will work together for our good. It means that God will work every circumstance, every situation and every detail in our lives to our good. The two qualifications are that we love God and are in God's calling; that is his will and plans for our lives. Verse 28 gives me hope because as verse 31 puts it "If God be for us, who can be against us?"

• 2 months later...

(Romans 8:28) What is the actual promise contained in verse 28? "All things work together for good to them that love God, to are the called according to His purpose."

What does this promise mean? Put it in your own words. It means that whatever happens in my life, the event will work together for my good (in accordance with God's plan) and God's glory. It doesn't mean that all things are good, they just work together for good.

What are the two qualifications to the recipients of this promise? This promise is to: 1) Those who love Him, and 2) Called according to His purpose.

How does verse 28 give you hope? It gives me hope by showing me that no matter what comes my way, God is in control. He can take any situation or circumstance and turn it around for my good and His glory! Nothing happens by accident. Nothing gets by the eyes of God, even if the cause is by my own doing.

• 1 year later...

God's promise is the assurance that all things in a Christian's life are working together for the ultimate good. The recipients of this promise are those wo have responded to the gospel message and have clearly understood the sacrifice of Christ of love for our sakes, It means I think that however viewed by ourselves as anything less than ideal, in God's own time we will see the utter perfection of His workings in and around us. The promise is given only to those who have accepted Jesus as Lord along with the need for His sacrificial death uniting us with the Father. The hope for me is that every apparent adverse circumstance in my life is known by the Father, who "will not allow me to be tested above that whuch I am able to bear"

• 5 weeks later...

That all things which happen in our life whether they be good or bad will work together for our own and for His glory. It means that anything that happens to us is in alignment with His will because He knows best. It gives me hope because He is my Heavenly Father, He loves me and wants the best for me. The 2 qualifications are we love Him and we are called according to His purpose

• 6 months later...

1. (Romans 8:28) What is the actual promise contained in verse 28? What does this promise mean? Put it in your own words. What are the two qualifications to the recipients of this promise? How does verse 28 give you hope?

All things work together for good for those that love The Lord and are called according to His purpose. If with love God and have answered His call (responded to Him), god can choreograph all things to work out for our good. We must love The Lord and answer His call. No matter what I go through , God can work it to benefit me.

• 10 months later...

Rom:8:28 The actual promise the Lord has made to us believers is that all things work for the good of all those who love Him.

The promise actually means that what ever comes our way in trails and tribulations, the Lord orchestrates things to work to the good for us who trust, love and are confident in His word.

The two qualifications for the Lords promise are, that they are for the called of the Lords elect, the Church. And for them that have a deep heart felt affection and love for the Lord.

This verse gives me the hope of God's promise to those that love Him and answer His call to live do His will. We know that God's word does not return to Him void.     

• 7 months later...

God promises here that He will work for the good of those who love him.  This seems to mean that God will work for ones good despite the evil of the forces of the devil. God is able to do good out of the evil that happens to us. For example 25 years ago a man I know had a serious heart attack. The heart had stopped and he had to be medically revived. This was hard on the family and for the victim. However, out of the situation the family pulled together and a greater degree of spirituality developed  in the family. The man studied theology and has earned the Master of arts degree in  in theology. Often God steps in and turns evil to good happenings. Also, in the long term God's gift of grace is our wildcard. We are  promised that because o0f the grace of God in the Gift of Jesus we are able to stand before God in righteousness provided for us by the messiah's gift that all who believed in him shall have eternal life.  

The qualifications for this promise are 1) one must love him, and 2) one must have been called according to his purpose. When Jesus calls we are to respond in a positivefashion.

• 3 years later...

The promise is that everything is working for good for those who love God. After seeing the example used about Joseph and the problem his brothers had with him, and how Joseph talked of how God used the whole situation for his own glory, I would say that simply by looking back at one’s life, a Christian should have no problem seeing how some things were denied, which would have ruined the person’s odds of gaining salvation. One could look at their past as a sort of puzzle and how the pieces were being fitted together to form the current state of things and how everything takes on the value of a learning experience to be placed in the “wisdom chest”.

Qualifications for this are:

1.      You must love God. The most important of all the commandments.

2.      You must be called according to His purpose doing God’s work through you. I admit we could never do God’s job, but He does give us work to accomplish. I don’t mean that everybody needs to become a missionary (although there is much mission work to be done in our own back yards) but sometimes something as simple as just being a good example goes a long way. There is a never-ending list of things we need to be praying for, we are called to pray without ceasing (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18).

Verse 28 gives me much hope in that the biblical meaning of hope being what it is, I know that even when things are not going as planned (a sweet way of saying things are lousy), I accept it for what it is because that “what it is” means that even though I may not be around to see it come to pass, God will make good come of it. This can be a hard concept to grasp, even for a person familiar with the verse. I still remember the first time I was presented with the verse I had just entered a dark time in life, or, should I say I thought I did and it things worked out for better and the fix, which was temporary turned into something that has really showed me the glory of God at work. The verse came true. I’m going to call that person and tell him how I was able to use what he presented to me in answering this question. We are now separated thousands of miles apart but it is something that often comes to mind.

• 2 years later...

The promise is that God will make even the bad things that happen to us; work out for our good and for His glory, That like Joseph we can trust that God is working behind the scenes. It means that we do not need to worry if bad things happen to us; He has a plan.

The promise is for those who are called out or are saved. It is not for those who have never accepted Jesus as their Savior. For those who are4 saved He promises that He will make things turn out for good.

I know for a fact that God being all sovereign will cause all things that happen to me work out for my good and His glory. Because I am one who loves Him and I have chosen to accept His Son as my Savior.

Number one we have to love Him. Number two we have to be called out or saved in order to be a part of it.

It gives me hope because I know everything; even my sufferings will work out for my good if I trust in Him.

• 1 month later...

God promises to work out everything for our good. It means that no matter what it is good or bad He will use it for our benefit.  Two of them are we love God and we are chosen by Him. It gives me hope knowing that I have been called by Him and I also am to daily love Him. I also know that because I'm His I will be in heaven with the Lord.

• 5 months later...

(Romans 8:28) What is the actual promise contained in verse 28?

For me the promise is that GOD IS THERE AT WORK, using all circumstances /all things, putting them together and ultimately working them that it will be for our good. 

What does this promise mean? Put it in your own words.

It means that no matter what, we are never alone. God is there at work using the bad and the not so good, the good and the very good things and somehow intertwining them all and ultimately at the very end it will be seen to have worked for our good. (eg. Joseph's life, Moses' lifestyle or experience, Paul's background, the fisherman Peter, ...   so we can go on. What they knew or had experienced helped them in the work destined for them) 

To love God and to have been called and responded positively to the call to live according to His design and purpose. 

This verse has been a verse I have clung to for the past almost 50yrs. When our family was killed and family life as I was accustomed to was gone forever I clung to this promise that somehow GOD could take the experience of that happening and use it for good in some way. That was the hope I clung to. That it was not for nothing. God could use that experience we went through and allows us to be of help to others experiencing a bad patch in their lives.