JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Woman, Behold Your Son (John 19:26-27)

Q3. (John 19:26-27) Why does Jesus make St. John responsible for his mother Mary? What does this tell us about Jesus? How should we apply this in our own lives?

1. He knew that John would take care of His mother. He loved John and knew that He could trust him to take his mother into his home and care for her like his own.

2. This tells us that He loved His mother and since He was the oldest child, He felt responsible for her well-being. Even though He was dying He was thinking about others.

3. We should apply this in our lives, by showing love and responsibility to others and especially our parents.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (John 19:26-27) Why does Jesus make St. John responsible for His mother Mary? What does this tell us about Jesus? How should we apply this in our own lives?

From all the other disciples of Jesus, He loved St. John most. We see in the Cenaculum or the Upper Room during the most sacred supper ever served, Jesus' beloved disciple was seated close to Him. Once when His mother and brothers came looking for Him, He asked the people gathered "who is my mother and who are my brothers? All this shows that there was no other person Jesus had utmost confidence to care for His mother than St. John. This clearly tells us that Jesus loved and cared for His mother with great concern for her welfare.

It is said in the ten commandments to "honour your father and your mother ", so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you." First we should love the Lord and then love our parents, brothers and sisters. Our love must be true and genuine because God loved us first.

Praise and glory to God forever.

Indrajith

Q3. (John 19:26-27) Why does Jesus make St. John responsible for his mother Mary? What does this tell us about Jesus? How should we apply this in our own lives?

i'm not so sure that john is this mysterious disciple whom jesus loved. all the disciples ran for their lives when all this started. but what i do see is family there at the cross. and who i believe this disciple to be is his half brother james, who according to jewish ways and customs, was the next in line for kinsman redeemer. thus jesus is passing the responsibility over to james, and jesus continues to honor his mother as his word says too. mary was a widow by now, the family is all grown up, and about their own buisness, and he is making sure she will be taken care of. sometimes it is difficult to love the ones closest to you, but we must continue in his love or we can easily be snared and try to justify our wrongs. people know the difference of gods love and our own, his love is genuine-comforting warm and bold,while ours is shallow, empty, and reserved. love is an action choice, it is either growing or dying, it can never remain the same.and for me. i know i need to let go of the disappointments and just let gods love pour through me for others.

Of course, the most obvious reason is that John, His beloved disciple, was standing

right there at the foot of the cross and was available (unlike any of the other disciples)

to be responsible to do the job he was given to do; but also because the Lord knew

all of His disciples

Jesus was making sure his mother was taken care of when he was gone. Why John I am not sure. This tell us that Jesus even when he was dying he was thinking of others and at this time it was his mom. Some of the hardest to please and live with is our family this teaches us to make sure we love them and when we are interacting with them we do so with the love of Jesus

• 2 weeks later...

The beautiful heart of Jesus is displayed here as He assures Mary of the care she deserves for her remaining widowed years. I never thought about the extent of family connections here; this makes perfect sense that Jesus would ask his beloved cousin to provide for Mary as he would his own mother. He showed the loving respect and honor that God's people are commanded to demonstrate towards our parents. His compassion in this tender moment is very moving.

In all things, we must seek to show such honor to our parents. No parent, self included, is ever perfect. In the power of Christ, we must rise above years of hurts, misunderstandings, or disappointments to maintain a decision to show love.

• 4 months later...

Greetings,

This lesson really got me to pondering about my parents in more specific ways. I believe John got a grasp on --walking in love--that Jesus was teaching His disciples. He even wrote about it all through his gospel account and in 1 John. Jesus needed to know that His Mother would be taken care of proplerly. He is still teaching us His ways even in this difficult time. And John was the one who stood by Him to the very end.

Jesus was resonsable for Mary because He was her oldest son.

Now He was dying, He needed somebody else to take care for her.

Mary's other sons were not yet believers at that time.

Therefore, He appointed John to take care for her.

This shows that He loved her and that He was concerned with her welbeing.

Not only for the food, then the other sons could have taken care for her.

Also emotionally because He ordered a believer to take care for her as some kind of consolidation.

We can learn from this that we must love our parents and that we have to take care for our family.

• 2 weeks later...

jesus made john responible for taking care of his mother,whom jesus love the most.

john knew how hard it would be for mary,so i think that the love of jesus and his discipled taught us how to love one another.

also the love we have for our mother and father are so greatly desrve we our bound by the law to obey the commandment that was given to us

love thy mother and father?

that the love i have for jesus he gave to us.this tells us that jesus trusted his disciple john from the begenning of his ministry.

we need to apply this kind of love that jesus had for everyone.we can become better christians by following in his steps.

the lord hath shown the light and the love.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Jesus wanted to leave his mother in the care of someone who would be good to her, and treat her kindly.

Jesus loved His mother, and had respect for her. Also, He was a responsible family man.

We need to be respectful of our own parents, and look out for them when they become elderly. I know for me that was hard, because my mom and I were not close. I have had to confess my unwillingness to be respectful to her, and now she is gone hometo be with the Lord. But, I have reconciled with her, and God has forgiven me for my lack of forgiveness toward her. They are our parents, no matter what.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus loved His mother and wanted to make sure that she was taken care of properly in His absence. Despite being God incarnate, Jesus took His human responsibilities seriously. Mary did nuture Him and bring Him up and she deserved being taken care of the right way. Jesus provides another example of personal responsibility and conduct in that we should take care of our family.

Jesus makes St. John responsible for his mother Mary because as Mary's firstborn, Jesus is legally responsible for her welfare, to ensure that she has a place to live and food to eat during her widowhood.

This tell us that Jesus was concerned that His mother's earthly needs were going to be taken care of in His absence.

In our own lives we should love our parents and make provisions for their well-being.

• 2 weeks later...

John 19:26-27 -When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, "Dear woman, here is your son," and to the disciple, "Here is your mother." From that time on, this disciple took her into his home.

Why does Jesus make St. John responsible for his mother Mary? Jesus, as the eldest son, had the responsibility of caring for his mother. Since his brothers still did not believe in Him as stated in John 7:5, "For even his own brothers did not believe in him", Jesus needed to decide whom could care for His mother. Since John was one of the three closest disciples to Him and the only one to have the courage to be there, He choose John to care for His mother.

What does this tell us about Jesus? Even though He was the Son of God, He knew that His earthly duties was to honor His mother and protect her.

How should we apply this in our own lives? Pastor Ralph expressed it very clearly in his commentary. He wrote as follows: "How do we reconcile our primary commitment to Jesus with responsibility for our families? Sometimes with great difficulty. But to put Christ first doesn't mean that we are free to neglect our other priorities -- it means only that we get our priorities in proper relation to each other. God will give us wisdom to work this out." As Christians, we can not neglect our families. God does not want us to forgo our moral responsibilities.

Q3. (John 19:26-27) Why does Jesus make St. John responsible for his mother Mary?

Jesus loved John, John was more than a relative or a disciple to Jesus, he was an intimate dear friend, John who was there at Jesus Transfiguration was a man Jesus knew he could trust to take the leadership and provide for His mother.

Q. What does this tell us about Jesus and how should we apply this in our own lives? When we have to make good decisions today, it tells me how important it is to have wisdom, Jesus was full of wisdom, he understood and followed the Torah, God's teachings, for in them is wisdom, guidelines to be followed if we want to live a successful and happy life, one of the reasons Jesus was about die on the cross is, that we may have power living in us, we too can be wise, if we do as Jesus did and follow the Torah, God's teachings, what we were predestined to do.

• 3 months later...

1) he loved his mother and wanted him to take car of her as he knew her heart was broken to see her son go through such torment and pain.

2) It tells us that Jesus is unselfish as here he is dying and in agony but his heart reaches out to his mum...his concern was for her more than his own. he had every reason humanly imagined to complain and rant and rave but he chose not too. even on a cross he was humble and compassionate and not only towards his mother but a criminal and all others who had wronged him..."father forgive them..."

3)we should be like Jesus and show compassion in the midst of our own problems. look further than ourelves and our own self-pity and reach out to others.

• 5 months later...

Answer:

1. Why does Jesus make St. John responsible for his mother Mary?

St. John is the bravest of all disciple,for staying at the feet of Jesus during His crucifixion.Jesus could see the Heart of John,during this difficult time,and knows that He will take care Mary..and besides John,is the NEAREST,to which Jesus can speak with His weak voice.

2. What does this tell us about Jesus?

It tells us that Jesus value the work of Mary,by having agree to Angel Gabriel to bear Jesus.

Luke 1:31-And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS.

Luke 1:38-And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her.

Jesus compassion and Love for His mother,was also shown here,when He entrusted Her to John.

4.How should we apply this in our own lives?

We should follow,and imitate Jesus,to take care of our Parents,no matter what.

• 3 months later...

Jesus made St. John responsible for his mother Mary because John was a responsible and diligent in his relationship with Jesus.

This tell us that Jesus is love, full of mercy, and concerned about the welfare of his mother.

We, as Christians can emulate the examples of Jesus and imitate him and apply this in our daily walk with him.

• 4 weeks later...

Jesus gave his mother to his beloved disciple John, first, John was a true disciple, he was the only disciple at the foot of the cross, all the others fled because of fear; secondly, to establish kinship with us, making us his disciples like John. Jesus gave his mother to John and by doing so gave us his mother too. John demonstrated obedience to God when he accepted Mary, without question, as his mother and that is the way we are to respond to Gods will as well. Thirdly, Mary gave birth to Jesus, she gave us our Lord and Redeemer, it only makes sense that we go to her when we need Jesus, to Jesus through Mary. Same as we go to our earthly mother when we need earthly mothering. It is Mary that is the one true disciple, always being there to do Gods Will with humility, obedience, and the greatest of love. Jesus giving his mother to all of mankind tells us that he wants us to be like her, she is the perfect model for us to learn how to be perfect disciples, how to love, obey, how to be humble, how to love God beyond all things. We apply all of this in our lives by loving each other the way Jesus loves us, by honoring God above all other things, being obedient to his will and accepting his Mercy. When we do all of these things, loving our neighbor naturally comes. Mary never said no to God, she always said yes, so too should we, John did! We should apply this in our lives by being obedient to our parents as well as to our heavenly Father, it is his will that we do so.

• 2 weeks later...

As the eldest son, Jesus has a responsibility to his widowed mother. John is the only one there who could (or possibility who would) take on that responsibility. I read that John is the only one of Jesus' disciples who died a natural death. (Knowing this, perhaps Jesus wanted to spare his mother from any more grief on His account.)

Even though Jesus knows that His primary purpose is the salvation of mankind and He is suffering on the cross, He still responds to His mother's needs and His earthly obligation to her. His love for all of us still meets the need of each of us.

Although my parents are both gone, I have the opportunity to honor my godly mother-in-law who lives near us. Helping to meet her needs is a priority that I cherish. In part, it was her example of a dedicated Christian life that helped lead me to faith in Christ. How can I give her any less?

I used to walk through the nursing home where my Mother spent her last days and feel shame and embarassment because a lot of the elderly in this place had been abandoned by their children. Some of them would wander up and down the halls asking people that passed if they were related. That is no way to treat a parent.

This might be a good time to give kudos to those nursing home "saints" who take on the role of caregivers to "abandoned" parents. I've seen some who become substitute relatives for those in their care. God bless them and may their "tribe" increase! If readers of this forum don't have a living parent, I'd suggest adopting one who is in a situation like you describe.

Why does Jesus make John responsible for Mary? I think it goes back to him saying "Who are my mother and brother and sisters? Those who do the will of God." Who was at the cross? Who remained? Who called himself "The one that Jesus loved"? John. John remained and Jesus, wanting to provide for Mary after his death, gave her into the safe keeping of his true spiritual brother.

This incident shows us that though Jesus was in terrible pain and near death, he was still thinking of others. He spoke of his mother to John and as we read the other day, he spoke of forgiveness for everyone. What does it say about Him? Love that we cannot understand. Obedience we can not understand. Forgiveness we cannot understand.

He, as the perfect Lamb is worthy.

We, should be examining our lives in these areas. We will fall short, but we can ask for help from the Holy Spirit to be better. We obey, love and forgive so little.

What this tells me is the love that Jesus has for his Mother and her well being. And this shows me that I should care for my family like Jesus! Love DG <><

John's presence at the foot of the cross tells us a lot about him. He was generally always there for Jesus.He must have had traits which endeared him to Jesus and made him the most suitable person to whom Jesus could entrust Mary.

Even in the midst of His own suffering, Christ thought of others.Jesus concern for His mother must be an example for the rest of us to treat our mothers with love and concern.