JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Don't Love the World

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the world is what we left behind when we became new creatures .although

we still have to live in it untill jesus comes.the world is stuff,

keeping up with the jones, loving everything more then the lord .

it keeps our sights and mind away from god ,we need to everyday renew

our minds in prayer and worship to keep close to him .we need to stay ,

in the word daily to remind us that we are going to be here long only

now to serve the lord and to bring people out of the world by sharing his

love for them .

The ways of the world in John are all about self , what is in it for me , it is about seeking after things that are not lasting in order to satisfy my feelings or desires.

We are warned in this passage not to love the ways of the world as they are in direct opposition to the things of Gods Kingdom, and will lead us away from God.

Q3. (1 John 2:15-16) What is "the world" in verses 15-16? What kind of love of "the world" keeps us from loving the Father?

I believe that the term, "of this world" refers to the mindset of Satan. Satan saw himself as someone who should be exalted because of his own 'works.' He challenged God that people would follow his ways and think about what they want, what they desire and boast about what they have accomplished as if they have managed success on their own. When you have a 'worldly mindset,' you reject God's ways of taking care of one another, taking care of Earth, and exhorting and encouraging one another for Christ's sake. You forget that all good things come from God and how easily you could have been chosen to face severe hardships.

Q3. (1 John 2:15-16) What is "the world" in verses 15-16? What kind of love of "the world" keeps us from loving the Father?

Love not He had said before that the only rule for living religiously, is to love God; but as, when we are occupied with the vain love of the world, we turn away all our thoughts and affections another way, this vanity must first be torn away from us, in order that the love of God may reign within us.

The sum of the whole is, that as soon as the world presents itself, our lusts or desires, when our heart is corrupt, are captivated by it, like unbridled wild beasts; so that various lusts, all which are adverse to God, bear rule in us.

Pax

The things of the world may be desired and possessed for the uses and purposes which God intended, and they are to be used by his grace, and to his glory; but believers must not seek or value them for those purposes to which sin abuses them. The world draws the heart from God; and the more the love of the world prevails, the more the love of God decays. The things of the world are classed according to the three ruling inclinations of depraved nature.

1. The **** of the flesh, of the body: wrong desires of the heart, the appetite of indulging all things that excite and inflame sensual pleasures.

2. The **** of the eyes: the eyes are delighted with riches and rich possessions; this is the **** of covetousness.

3. The pride of life: a vain man craves the grandeur and pomp of a vain-glorious life; this includes thirst after honour and applause.

The things of the world quickly fade and die away; desire itself will ere long fail and cease, but holy affection is not like the **** that passes away. The love of God shall never fail. Many vain efforts have been made to evade the force of this passage by limitations, distinctions, or exceptions. Many have tried to show how far we may be carnally-minded, and love the world; but the plain meaning of these verses cannot easily be mistaken. Unless this victory over the world is begun in the heart, a man has no root in himself, but will fall away, or at most remain an unfruitful professor. Yet these vanities are so alluring to the corruption in our hearts, that without constant watching and prayer, we cannot escape the world, or obtain victory over the god and prince of it.

The world can be a loving place but we fight between good and evil. Whom do we serve? Whom do we love? Does our materials things define who we sre? In other words, the things of the world must be used to uplift and glorify God's name. We must love the Lord thy God with all of our heart and serve only him.

Sexual pleasure, being arrogant and puffed up keeps us from loving the Father.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.(1Corinthians 13:4

Patricia

The world refers to the enticments of carnal life. When we concentrate on material things, and not on spiritual things, then we grow farther and farther away from the Father and His love.

The world in this passage is the world system in which we exist, i.e. commercial, political, religious, and cultural. If we permit it, the love of this world can preoccupy our attention causing us to be totally immersed in the world and alienated from the Creator. The world does not promote nor practice the values taught to us in the Bible. By and large the world rejects the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The world reflects satanic values, primarily "live for the pleasures of self." If we get caught up in the world we take on worldly values and life styles. This displaces God in our life.

The "world" is the world system. This goes back to the children of Cain in Genesis 4 who began to adore the world instead of God....the various things they did to entertain and amuse themselves...this lead directly to the Flood, of which God said that man was desperately wicked...all men except Noah who was found righteous. If I would allow myself to be a friend of the world, I would put other things ahead of God. This concept is hard for people to understand and they begin to ask, do you mean that I can't go out with people who are not Christians, etc. or cannot go to a concert, etc. John answers this in 1 John and 2 Peter 1:4 shows us that that friendship will lead to "corruption" as we begin to desire to do those things instead of worshipping God.

The term "world" in this case refers to the present system and order of this age that caters to the natural man and the flesh and is opposed to God. Loving the things that are pleasurable to the flesh--looking lustfully on someone, boasting in the possessions that we may have, indulging in gratifying the flesh (even if it goes against God's commands), etc.--are the things that keeps us away from loving the Father.

The 'world' here means any earthly things/ activities that will compromise our spiritual position, purity and walk with the Lord. Loving the world then means setting our hearts/ minds on any thing at the expence of our love for the Lord. Such things (even money)become idols and idolatry is one the greates sins God hates.

What is "the world" in verses 15-16?

'The World' is that which denies Jesus is the Christ and is Lord and Savior. 'The World' is darkness. 'The World' is that sparkly glittery stuff that attracts our senses with it's appeal but leads us away from the truth and the light of Jesus Christ. 'The World' is that place that others go when they think they can do without God.

What kind of love of "the world" keeps us from loving the Father?

The parable of the son who took his inheritance and left his father to go out into the world, is a wonderful example of this kind of love. It is a love where we think the things of God are dull or lackluster or without adventure. It is a love that forgets God or puts Him on the back burner, so that fun and enjoyment can be had. However, it is a totally false and absolutely dangerous love.

"THe world" in verses 15-16 refers to the cravings of sinful man,the lu$t of his eyes,and the boasting of what he has and does. "The world" can mean 1)Planet earth 2)Humanity in general 3)The many aspects of human existence.

The kind of love of "the world" that can keep us from loving the Father is the desire for material gain and having evil desires.

The world is the kingdom of darkness, all that which is against the kingdom of God. The love of the world that keeps us from loving the Father is a self-focus. A focus on desires. We live in a day and age where the view of morality is that which restrains desire is immoral. This is evidenced in the culture such as the new TV show Glee. It is a focus on what is good for self. If we focus on what is good for self, than we are not loving God with our whole self. Rather we are pursuing that which makes us feel good. In particular is referenced the "love of money" which in essence if you broaden it, is love of self gain. Ultimately it stems to a love of self.

What is "the world" in verses 15-16?

Corruption by the Devil to keep us distracted and away from God at all costs.

What kind of love of "the world" keeps us from loving the Father?

Lots of distractions: money, position, power, pride, selfishness, carnal desires, drugs, anything that keeps us away from God.

THE WORLD HERE REFERS TO THE PLANET, HUMANITY IN GENERAL, OR THE MANY ASPECTS OF HUMAN EXISTENCE.THE LOVE OF MONEY, POWER, POSITION, ETC HINDERS US FROM COMING TO THE FATHER. ALL THIS CAN BE SUMMED UP AS THE **** OF THE EYES, THE **** OF THE FLESH AND THE PRIDE OF LIFE.I CANT HELP BUT THINK OF SO MANY PEOPLE I KNOW, FAMILY MEMBERS INCLUDED, WHO ARE LIVING FOR MATERIAL STUFF WHILE THEIR RELATIONSHIPS, MARRIAGES, ARE SUFFERING. OF COURSE THEY'RE NOT SAVED AND ARE NOT EMBRACING GODLY PRINCIPLES BUT RATHER FOLLOWING THE WORLD'S SYSTEM OF DOING THINGS.THEIR DEVOTION IS NOT TO THE LORD AND THEY BELIEVE HAPPINESS CAN BE ACHIEVED BY BEING SUCCESSFUL ON THEIR JOB, HAVING MORE MONEY, MORE EDUCATION, ETC. IT'S AN ILLUSION.

Love not the world or the things in it. This is a subject that I have been deep into for a while. World as we know it is not the physical world or the human world, but is is the world of sin and evil. The **** of the flesh, of the eyes and the pride of life. We are not to forces on such things as they will pass away. Loving the world makes it impossible to love the father : why because if you love him you must keep his commandments. You can not if you have love for the world and the things in it. First John 2:15 not only says that we should not love the system in general , but also the things that are in it. There are many things in the systems that are wrong.We know that it is wrong to have sex before marriage, to have sex with someone who is not our husband or wife. These thing are of the world not of God.

I believe 'the world' here refers to area and sphere of the influence of Satan ... all the things that are 'ungodly' or sinful drive us from God and towards our enemy's influence. John speaks of 'the cravings of sinful man' - man without God lusts for the things that are not of God... and for us this is forbidden territory.

He is talking about love for anything that will not help us to grow stronger in faith and service for our Saviour.

In eternity all these things of the world will be so insignificant - but now they can seem so important. :(

blessings - Kiwidenis

To Love the world its false treasures & light which is truly death in darkness, is to turn our back & shun the most precious gift ever given to man God's Grace & mercy,love offered through His Son Jesus Christ.

Today we are not totally unlike the people of ancient Ur. Many of us enjoy comfortable homes but live in spiritual darkness. It becomes easy to trust in material possessions and money. But God can pluck people out of idolatry as surely as He plucked Abraham out of Ur, giving him a life of faith and a new direction.

I am enjoying all of the comments,the word says that if we love anything more than we love God, we are not his. Just as God gave his only son that he would buy our sin pardon, we should love God to give him our lives and live for him.i have lost love ones only to find out that if it had not been for God, i could'nt make it and the world could'nt help me.So i would rather live for God than the world.As i daily walk with the Lord, i am learnig how to kill the **** of the flesh and live for him.There are things we need and God said he would surply all our needs.May we all be fully commented God just as he is to us.Love to you Pastor Wilson and to you all my sisters and brothers in Christ Jesus.

What is "the world" in verses 15-16? What kind of love of "the world" keeps us from loving the Father?

The world is materialistic possesions or persons we love more than God.

A love where we take high esteem in possesing, things we boast over, or if we had a choice in serving God or keeping something/someone, attending to some place, or taking part in something. If we are not willing to give up these things to serve God, this love is good.