JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4, Isaac's Prophetic Blessing

Q4. (Genesis 27:33) Why couldn't Isaac reverse his blessing once he discovers Jacob's trickery? What is Isaac's role in this blessing? What is God's role in it?

Like the blessing of Joseph's two sons, the blessing of Jocob was not the handy work of Issac, God had already chosen Jocob. What Issac did was just a formality... This made it impossible for Isaac to reverse the blessings... Isaac was just a tool for God to bless Jacob.

God on the other had made sure that his promises come to pass, for He is a covenant keeping God and He is not a man that should lie...so He just made sure His promises are fulfill.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Isaac could not reverse the blessing because he realised that the blessing came from God and not from himself (Isaac)

Isaac's role in the blessing was that of being a mouthpiece for God.

God's role in the blessing shows that He will bless who He wants to bless, just as He can curse who He wants to curse. God already knew who was to have each of the two blessings.

Love Greta

:wub:

Q4. (Genesis 27:33) Why couldn't Isaac reverse his blessing once he discovers Jacob's trickery? What is Isaac's role in this blessing? What is God's role in it?I belive the reason Isaac could not change the blessing is because he had to keep his word before God who the blessing is from...

Maybe Isaac didn't reverse the blessing of Abraham because he didn't bestow the blessing of Abraham. He bestowed A blessing upon Jacob (of whom he was suspicious), but it was a blessing of fatness of earth, dew of heaven, corn, wine, servants and dominion--but it was not the Blessing of Abraham. Then he blessed Esau with A blessing--of fatness, dew, live by sword, serve brother--and it too, was not the Blessing of Abraham. It was not until Isaac sent Jacob to Pandaran that he said specifically said THE blessing, ..."And give thee the blessing of Abraham to thee, and to thy seed with thee...(Gen 28; 3 &4). The blessing that God gave to Abraham promised an everlasting covenant between Abraham & and his seed to be their God, and to possess the land (Canaan) forever. And much more (Gen 17). None of this was present in the two prior blessings. Isaac gave The Blessing of Abraham to the right son--maybe he wasn't as old, blind, feeble and ineffective as we thought!

Q4. (Genesis 27:33) Why couldn't Isaac reverse his blessing once he discovers Jacob's trickery?

The blessing is the traditional Patriarchal Blessing, inspired by God and given through the patriarch to the first born of the next generation, and is always prophetic in nature, therefore is irrevocable, once given. It's Isaiah 55:11 in action" So shall My word be that goes forth out of My mouth: it shall not return to Me void without producing any effect, useless, but it shall accomplish that which I please and purpose, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it."

This was about God defining and prophesying the lineage of Messiah Jesus who would come through Jacob.

What is Isaac's role in this blessing?

Isaac is simply the vessel through whom God speaks the prophetic blessing.

What is God's role in it?

God inspires the blessing, chooses who receives it (He knows the future. He knew that Jacob was the one to receive the blessing, knew that Rebekah would stand in the gap to see that Jacob was not passed over in Isaac's favoritism for Esau, since He had spoken the prophecy to her when the babies were in the womb. God is Sovereign...the Blessed Controller of ALL THINGS. Only He knows how that would have been fulfilled apart from Rebekah's deception, but it would have been, regardless of the personalities involved. I love Psalm 119:91 which says that "All things serve God"....when I had the revelation of that verses meaning, it changed my life! Even God- hating Satan at his worst tricks to try to destroy God's plans, purposes, His children, etc. ends up serving God!

God is Lord over ALL....how safe are we in His arms!!!!!

Q4. (Genesis 27:33) Why couldn't Isaac reverse his blessing once he discovers Jacob's trickery? What is Isaac's role in this blessing? What is God's role in it?

Obviously Isaac was aware of the tradition of blessing/s and 25:23 indicates Rebekah had received knowledge/prophecy, with both of them acting independently; once the blessing was given it was Isaac's word, which was final as he was probably taught.

God set in motion, through family history, the act of blessings; God notified Rebekah and it should have been a strong enough union with Isaac that he could have honored his wife being told prophecy. God put in place all of the right things, individuals acted independently, resulting in the sins of deceipt, lies.

Gen 27:33 Then Isaac trembled very violently and said, "Who was it then that hunted game and brought it to me, and I ate it all before you came, and I have blessed him? Yes, and he shall be blessed."

These were more than mere words. They were prophesy. You cant change the future. Though gained by deceitful means it was given freely not to be taken back. I believe Isaac had some doubt on whom he was giving the blessing to. It may be that he remembers the words of the Lord while giving the "wrong" son his blessings. That we will not know but I for one will ask him when we all get to heaven. God gives whatever to whomever He wants. All is His to give or to take.

Isaac could not reverse the blessings pronounced on Jacob because he had actually just fulfilled God's plan for Jacob. Isaac's role in the blessing was that of a channel as God was the source of the blessings.

Q4 According to the custom, when the elder of a household's time is near, the next

of kin will continue on the tradition and this normally falls on the head of the eldest

son.

Discovering Jacob's trickery, Isaac did not reverse his blessings because according to their upbringing, this is the directive from God and God's ways are not ours.

Isaac's role as head and father it is his duty to bequeath his authority, rights and

inheritance to his first born son.

God's way are not man's way. He will do the extraordinary thing which human cannot

comprehend.

I wondered about this. If it was by trickery would it still count. I liked what Matthew Henry had to say about it.

1 How carefuly he (Esau) sought it. When he understood that Jacob had obtained it surreptitiosly, he burst out with a loud and bitter cry, v. 34. Those who will not so much as ask and seek now, will knock shortly, and cry Lord! Lord! Slighters of Christ will then be humble suitors to him.

2. How he was rejected. Isaac, when first made aware of how he had been deceived, trembled violently, v33. But he soon recovers himself and ratifies the blessing he had given to Jacob: I blessed him and indeed he will be blessed. Having found himself more than ordinarily filled with the Holy Spirit when he gave the blessing to Jacob, he perceived that God did, as it were say Amen to it.

Isaac followed the Holy Spirit and God's will even though it conficted with his hopes.

God allowed the deception for His own purposes. There were serious consequences that were paid on everyones part.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

He perhaps could have annulled the blessing, but once he had finished it & found he had been deceived, he realized God was at work & bringing him to that point of blessing for Jacob which was foretold. In a sense, he may have been trying to have a different outcome, not really putting any stock in what God had foretold about the boys. I think God used the deceitful means for His ends.

Isaac could not reverse his blessing once he discovered Jacob's trickery because ultimately this was out of his hands; God's purpose and will was being executed. Isaac's role in this blessing was to be a channel that God used to carry out His divine will. God's role in the blessing was to be faithful to His promise and to set the stage for the eventual deliverance of His people.

BECAUSE HE HAD BEEN DUPED AND WAS FRIGHTENED. HE WANTED TO BE APART OF IT BECAUSE IT WAS HIS SON. GOD'S POWER WAS BACKING IT.

Q4. (Genesis 27:33)

33 And Isaac trembled very exceedingly, and said, Who? where is he that hath taken venison, and brought it me, and I have eaten of all before thou camest, and have blessed him? yea, and he shall be blessed.

Gen 27:33 (KJV)

Q4. Why couldn't Isaac reverse his blessing once he discovers Jacob's trickery? What is Isaac's role in this blessing? What is God's role in it?

Basically Isaacs blessing was a prophetic repeating of the Abrahamic Covenant. I don

Many things in life cannot be reversed or re-done. That is why we must seek God and not quickly jump into things as Isaac did. When we doubt, we need to check things out. The blessing given to Jacob was God's will.

Q4. (Genesis 27:33) Why couldn't Isaac reverse his blessing once he discovers Jacob's trickery?

Because God expects us to keep our word and once spoken, our word is or should be considered as His word,

Q4 (Genesis 27;33) Why Couldn't Isaac reverse his blessing once he discovers Jacob's trickery?

Because the blessing was from the Lord and there was no way to reverse what was done.

What is Isaac's role in this blessing?

Isaac was the vessel that God used to carry out His plan.

What is God's role in it?

This was God's plan from the beginning that Jacob would rule over Esau, and even though deceit was present God's plan still stands.

1. Why couldn't Isaac reverse his blessing once he discovers Jacob's trickery?

I'm not really sure. It seems that he knew the process of this blessing as well as the importance of it. If he had received blessings from his own father and also learned about giving blessings to your first born as he grew in

the word of God, than he was quite aware that once given, it could not be taken back. Regardless of Jacob's trickery. Not really sure about this answer.

2. What is Isaac's role in this blessing?

God's intention was for Jacob to receive this blessing. Whether it happened this way or another it was intended for Jacob. So it seems that just as you mentioned Isaac was being used as an instrument.

3. What is God's role in it?

I believe God's role is to allow people the free will to choose the process of his plan. Could it have happen in a better way? Maybe.