JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. If You Continue

Q4. (Colossians 1:23) If our salvation depends upon the grace of God, not us, why is it necessary for us to "continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved"?

God has called us to be disciples in our son/daughter relationship, and to live for Him and to serve Him and Him only. His Word tells us we have an enemy who aims on a daily basis to Kill, steal and destroy us and our faith and dependence upon our Lord. To have faith, is an active verb, not a passive condition. We are to contend, and seek to grow in our faith and our walk with the Lord. We're warned over and over again that we are to fight the good fight, to not grow weary in well doing, to seek and keep on seeking and to not faint. All are commands, for which He promises to supply the strength when we cry to Him when we're in trouble and sinking. His promise is to never desert us nor to fail us! He promises in Is. 41:10 Fear not, there is nothing to fear, for I am with you; do not look around you in terror and be dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen and harden you to difficulties, yes I will help you; yes, I will hold you up and retain you with My victorious right hand of rightness and justice.

What happens if we dont'?

To do less than we are commanded is to backslide, to fall by the wayside, to succumb to the enemies plan to "neutralize or marginalize" our faith so that we no longer "shine" and live for Christ. Relationship depends upon the participation of both parties. God is a sure and faithful God and He is always reaching toward His children in every way....but it's possible to no longer persevere, and to become utterly defeated and useless in the Kingdom of God. In Corinthians, Paul said that is why some now sleep....I believe Paul was saying that those who succumbed to the enemy's plans, were taken home prematurely due to their utter defeat.

What is the nature of the security we have in Jesus according to this text (and this text only)?

(Please don't use proof texts from other verses in the New Testament, but interpret Colossians 1:23 in its appropriate context.)

It is conditional....IF you continue to stay with and in the faith in Christ, well grounded and settled and steadfast, not shifting or moving away from the hope which rests on and is inspired by the glad tidings of the Gospel (amplified) .....Christ will present us to His Father. v. 22

Here's the mystery to me in all of this complexity: When I stand before the Lord, He will receive all the glory for everything! He has shown me that even my remaining faithful to Him and in persevering is due to the fact that He has steadfastly upheld me. During times of intense attack by the enemy when I've strayed, the Good Shepherd has brought me back, when sinking under the heavy load of abuse and neglect, He encouraged me and gave me hope for the future, when in despair and wanting to die, He came to me through "someone with skin" to comfort me. When I've grown dull and neglected His Word, He has drawn me back with renewed vigor and enthusiasm for study. Do we have the freedom to completely walk away? His Word says so. Will we? How can we when His is a love that won't let go? How I praise Him for Loving me so much, that He'd rather die than live without me....and DID to prove it. At those times when too weak to hold onto Him, He carries me in His victorious right hand!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once we are saved we must continue doing those things - or better, living such a lifestyle so that the things we do are not contrary to God's will and plan for our lives but are in agreement with His will and plan and are in agreement with His Word. . . God's will, Word and plan do not change - so we have not the right to try and change them. . . we should not think that we can do whatever we want and think that we are yet in right standing with God. . .

If we faith to "continue in the faith, established and firm, not moved" - we bear the burden of rebelling against God - failing in our service to Him - which increase the posibility of becoming apostate. . .

The nature of the "Security we have in Christ" according to this passage of Scripture is that we are promised eternal life through Christ Jesus and as long as we "REMAIN IN HIM" - we are in a right relationship (righteous) with Him and have eternal life. . . Our security is in Christ Jesus "ALONE". . .Jude 1:24-25 (NKJV)

24 Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, And to present you faultless Before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy,

25 To God our Savior, Who alone is wise, Be glory and majesty, Dominion and power, Both now and forever. Amen.

B)

(Colossians 1:23) If our salvation depends upon the grace of God, not us, why is it necessary for us to "continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved"? What happens if we don't? What is the nature of the security we have in Jesus according to this text (and this text only*)?

Our salvation is depend upon the grace of God, and we not only stop in Salvation mode but we need to experience his faithfulness, his greatness... to experience it, we need to seek him... Why we need to "continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved"? So that we may not fall down. because this world belong to satan and he is happy when we fall down.so we need to be alert all the time and need to bulid a strong faith, established and firm, not move.

if we don't will, we easy fall down... and satan is very happy... so as God precious servant we need to stang firm...

"If you continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved from the hope held out in the gospel.This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant."

according to this text, for what i understand, although we recieve salvation, we need to stand firm... specially we need to hold on the gospel for this is our hope... we must always remember and mediate and we need to share with other... so other people also will recieve the blessing from God... In Matthew 28:19, therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy spirit

(Colossians 1:23) If our salvation depends upon the grace of God, not us, why is it necessary for us to "continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved"? What happens if we don't? What is the nature of the security we have in Jesus according to this text (and this text only*)?

Our salvation is depend upon the grace of God, and we not only stop in Salvation mode but we need to experience his faithfulness, his greatness... to experience it, we need to seek him... Why we need to "continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved"? So that we may not fall down. because this world belong to satan and he is happy when we fall down.so we need to be alert all the time and need to bulid a strong faith, established and firm, not move.

if we don't will, we easy fall down... and satan is very happy... so as God precious servant we need to stang firm...

"If you continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved from the hope held out in the gospel.This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant."

according to this text, for what i understand, although we recieve salvation, we need to stand firm... specially we need to hold on the gospel for this is our hope... we must always remember and mediate and we need to share with other... so other people also will recieve the blessing from God... In Matthew 28:19, therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy spirit

Our Salvation depends upon the grace of God, through Jesus, but if we fail to believe that or move away from the source of that grace and no longer believe, then we have turned away from the gift of Salvation. If someone gives you a gift and you receive it and keep it then it is yours. If you decide to turn from it and give it back, then it is no longer yours! But we have free will to receive it or not and remain in it or not.

I guess I just question if there really was any real intimacy present to accept Jesus among anyone who thinks they can continue in any lifestyle contrary to who Jesus is and what He taught. Sure, it's a journey and we are in a process of learning and changing, but the love we have for Him should be first and foremost in our hearts and minds as we come to know Him better. We should DESIRE to read the Word and to pray for help and to abide every day. We should be devastated to know when we have wronged Him and turn to Him for help in those areas. No one is perfect and He is our hope....because in and of ourselves we are filthy and it would be hopeless to try and attain perfection, but if I (and was) a person who drank my life away or depended on drugs and lived in all kinds of immoral ways, but didn't want to give those ways up (and did) or depend on God to do that work in me (And He did!)then I would have missed something very important! We HAVE to remain in Him because it's too difficult for us. He does the work in us....but we must desire it....and Him. He's the lifeline. If we abide in Him....believe in Him....He WILL finish what He started in us. But....HE'S the way and the truth! We can't be separate from that or we will be deceived!

Our hope is in the Gospel of Jesus Christ and our Salvation through Him....and on our journey we need to hold on to that. In trial, temptation, suffering, horrible circumstances....in anything.....He is our hope. To rely on Jesus. Trust Him to see us through and to KNOW we are HIS! We will never give up if our security is in Him. Like all the seeds in the parable. We want to land on fertile ground and grow deep roots in Christ.

Q4. (Colossians 1:23)

• If our salvation depends upon the grace of God, not us, why is it necessary for us to "continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved"?The true Christian faith is lived in union with Jesus, by faith in him, walking with him, receiving his encouragement and forgiveness throughout our lives.
  • What happens if we don't?The true Christian faith is lived in union with Jesus, by faith in him, walking with him, receiving his encouragement and forgiveness throughout our lives.
  • What is the nature of the security we have in Jesus according to this text (and this text only)? (Please don't use proof texts from other verses in the New Testament, but interpret Colossians 1:23 in its appropriate context.)The true Christian faith is lived in union with Jesus, by faith in him, walking with him, receiving his encouragement and forgiveness throughout our lives.

Our Salvation is a gift

Our faith has to continue to keep our gift

If we don't we lose our salvation because we are in a back slidden condition

To me the security is like a baby in his/hers Mothers arms if we stay in the arms of God we will have eternal security

Our Salvation is a gift

Our faith has to continue to keep our gift

If we don't we lose our salvation because we are in a back slidden condition

To me the security is like a baby in his/hers Mothers arms if we stay in the arms of God we will have eternal security

Dear friend, please know that salvation is not dependent on the perfect keeping of our gift. If it were true that we lose our salvation every time we stumble in our faith, then it would have to be true that salvation is dependent on our efforts. Good works are the evidence/validation of genuine living faith (and so are spoken of like a "requirement" in James 2:17), but the Scriptures are abundantly clear that there is no work or effort of man that can secure salvation (Eph.2:8) or give eternal life (John 6:63). When a person genuinely believes in Christ and confesses Him as Savior, the Holy Spirit comes to dwell in him and seals the new believer to the inheritance of eternal life (2Cor. 1:21-22; Eph.1:11-13). This seal as proof of salvation is repeatedly called a "guarantee". There is nothing in Scripture to even suggest this seal can ever be broken or will ever be removed - or that God takes back the gift of salvation. If it was possible to lose salvation the Holy Spirit would have to depart our unredeemed state. But even though we may grieve or quench His Spirit (Eph.4:30; 1Thess.5:19), God has promised that He won't ever leave or forsake us (Heb. 13:5b, Gen.28:15). Jesus said nothing can take anyone who belongs to Him out of His hand (John 6:39-40; 10:28-29). He said a believer has passed from death to life (John 5:24) and nowhere does Scripture say you can leave eternal life and go back to death. 1 Peter 1:3 tells us we're given a new birth into a living hope through Christ's resurrection, and obviously once you're born you cannot be "un-born". THIS is the promise of eternal security, and it depends on what God has done, not on us.

It's necessary for us to steadfastly hold to our faith in the hope of the gospel of Christ because that is the only true hope there is. The purity of that faith is going to be challenged by false beliefs all around us, but we're to know the Word and rely on the Spirit for discernment of lies. I'm afraid that a person who turns from their "faith" never had much more than an intellectual/emotional acceptance of Christ. Genuine faith is far more certain than that, even when it seems wobbly. It's not that we successfully stay in the Father's arms (again, an effort of man), but that the Father keeps His hand on us even when we resist His arms. It's knowing that Jesus the Christ dwells in us and is THE hope (confident expectation) of glory, even when we stumble and fail. When that happens, He is faithful and just to forgive/cleanse us when we respond to the Spirit's conviction with repentance and confession (1 John 1:9). There's just nothing in the Word that says we "lose" our salvation and have to receive it again.

Sorry to be so lengthy, but I passionately believe it's crucial to understand the error of the idea that the assurance of God's gift of salvation is conditional to us flawlessly "keeping our faith". I pray you find the peace of knowing this security. My response is offered in absolute love and concern.

Q4. (Colossians 1:23) If our salvation depends upon the grace of God, not us, why is it necessary for us to

Q4. (Colossians 1:23) If our salvation depends upon the grace of God, not us, why is it necessary for us to

Any good relationship is a two way street, to be in converstion with one another- the same applies to our prayer life- walk- with God. If one fails to participate- namely us- the relationship dies away and we wander off in our flesh.To maintain the good prayer life we must remain in fellowship with the one true God, otherwise we back slide, we need fellowship with all mighty and to stay rooted and grounded- not torn from the foundation of his love.Our salvation comes through Jesus, he is our intersessor and we are reconciled to the father through faith and belief in His beloved Son

Although salvation is by grace, NEVERTHELESS, every believer must reamin IN Christ and be firm without wavering in faith. When a believer turns from absolute trust in the Lord to other gods or ideas, he will drift away and be lost to the evil one, the Devil.

Our security lies in remaining/ abiding IN Christ so as to be be able bear frouts else we stand the risk of being pruned away and thrown into fire for fruitlessness.

Dear friend, please know that salvation is not dependent on the perfect keeping of our gift. If it were true that we lose our salvation every time we stumble in our faith, then it would have to be true that salvation is dependent on our efforts. Good works are the evidence/validation of genuine living faith (and so are spoken of like a "requirement" in James 2:17), but the Scriptures are abundantly clear that there is no work or effort of man that can secure salvation (Eph.2:8) or give eternal life (John 6:63). When a person genuinely believes in Christ and confesses Him as Savior, the Holy Spirit comes to dwell in him and seals the new believer to the inheritance of eternal life (2Cor. 1:21-22; Eph.1:11-13). This seal as proof of salvation is repeatedly called a "guarantee". There is nothing in Scripture to even suggest this seal can ever be broken or will ever be removed - or that God takes back the gift of salvation. If it was possible to lose salvation the Holy Spirit would have to depart our unredeemed state. But even though we may grieve or quench His Spirit (Eph.4:30; 1Thess.5:19), God has promised that He won't ever leave or forsake us (Heb. 13:5b, Gen.28:15). Jesus said nothing can take anyone who belongs to Him out of His hand (John 6:39-40; 10:28-29). He said a believer has passed from death to life (John 5:24) and nowhere does Scripture say you can leave eternal life and go back to death. 1 Peter 1:3 tells us we're given a new birth into a living hope through Christ's resurrection, and obviously once you're born you cannot be "un-born". THIS is the promise of eternal security, and it depends on what God has done, not on us.

It's necessary for us to steadfastly hold to our faith in the hope of the gospel of Christ because that is the only true hope there is. The purity of that faith is going to be challenged by false beliefs all around us, but we're to know the Word and rely on the Spirit for discernment of lies. I'm afraid that a person who turns from their "faith" never had much more than an intellectual/emotional acceptance of Christ. Genuine faith is far more certain than that, even when it seems wobbly. It's not that we successfully stay in the Father's arms (again, an effort of man), but that the Father keeps His hand on us even when we resist His arms. It's knowing that Jesus the Christ dwells in us and is THE hope (confident expectation) of glory, even when we stumble and fail. When that happens, He is faithful and just to forgive/cleanse us when we respond to the Spirit's conviction with repentance and confession (1 John 1:9). There's just nothing in the Word that says we "lose" our salvation and have to receive it again.

Sorry to be so lengthy, but I passionately believe it's crucial to understand the error of the idea that the assurance of God's gift of salvation is conditional to us flawlessly "keeping our faith". I pray you find the peace of knowing this security. My response is offered in absolute love and concern.

Thank you for your comments, I do believe you can lose your salvation and at a later date I will give you scripture to what I believe backs this up. I understand fully where you are coming from but God does tell us that it would be better if you never knew Me than to know Me and turn away. I came across a Pastor on the job site that you would never know was a Pastor by his actions and words. But this man realized that I was a Christian and we started up a conversation and he told me how his congregation turned aginst him and how he walked away from God because of it. If this man does not ask God to forgive him before he dies will he go to heaven

We are saved through faith by the Grace of God. It is neccessary to remain in faith and continue to believe that we are reconciled to God. If we don't continue to believe, we will drift away from God and be re-claimed by the world.

To remain saved, we must walk side by side with Christ every day until we eventually meet Him face to face in heaven.

Love from Greta

It is necessary that we continue in our faith and not be moved because the true Christian faith is lived in union with Jesus,by faith in Him,walking with Him, receiving His encouragement and forgiveness throughout our lives.

What happens if we don't is that we will ultimately fall away from the Christian faith.

The nature of the security we have in Jesus is eventho we sin at times, if our hearts are set on serving Christ, then His grace and His promises are our security.