JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. What Is Lacking in Christ's Afflictions

Pastor Ralph

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christ's suffering and death adequately atoned for sin, but our suffering as the Church continues so that all may know Christ's glory and come to salvation through Him. I think Paul is talking about Christs suffering on the cross and reminding us that we don't suffer for ourselves or even for all the evils out there, but we suffer for and with Christ to share the Gospel. Our focus should be on Christ and Salvation and His glory. We remain single minded on the truth that way. One way.

Our suffering for Christ is of value to the church because we declare the Gospel and for the unsaved this may glean Salvation.... and for the saved, it is a help in maturing the body. It's not an easy road. Sometimes we step out in places "religious" people may shun us for and we have to rely on God alone to be there with us. Sometimes we lose family and friends when our own lives change and mature because we won't go back to ungodly things. Sometimes we are made fun of and ridiculed when we live truth by Christians as well as non Christians. We are misunderstood. We are rejected. We are used. We have to sacrifice, give away, become less. We choose to love at all cost and others don't understand and it does cost us. All that hurts! But in all of it....God is doing something! We say "Here I am send me!" and we preach the Gospel or live the Gospel, but we are not always accepted and many times rejected. We are often alone. Not many really want to live truth, but want to compromise. In it all we are growing, sharing, convicting, confessing and all to know in ourselves and to tell others....Christ is all!

Jesus paid for us as a sacrifice on the cross ans teh new covenant was formed. Paul suffered for following Jesus and testifying to his message of salvation. Paul confirmed his faith and belief and attested to it by his sacrifice and sufferring. Anyone can give lip service to belief but human sufferring gives a strong testimony of belief. Paul as a Servant of the lord gave of himself 100% which is what a good servant must be willing to do. What could be more convincing that sacrificing ones self for the Lord. This testimony gives credibility to Pauls teaching and testimony.

My sufferring for the Church is nothing by comparsion to Paul. How can we know what we are willing to suffer if not challenged? In America our freedom to worship is assured but in other countries true martyrs will be found. I pray I would be worthy and willing if challenged in my belief in Jesus my Savior.

The sufferings Paul refers to could include distresses of the mind as well as the body. He was obviously very concerned about the Colossians or he wouldn't have written his letter nor wrestled in prayer for them. Maybe his sufferings on their behalf were more mental, emotional and spiritual than physical even though he was in prison at the time of his writing this letter.

My sufferings mature me in my faith (if I will surrender to God) and a result is my life becoming more of a testimony for the Lord. For those whose lives I touch, hopefully my life will encourage them to grow and mature...with this ripple effect continuing on thru the church and making an even greater impact for God in the world.

Question 2.

A). The suffering Paul is going through is nowhere the pain that was inflicted on Jesus. He will be forever in his debt.

B). Our suffering comes from daily carrying the cross for Jesus.

Q1 As followers of Christ, our mission is to imitate Him in every way and preached the

good news to all ends of the earth. Jesus said: "Take up your cross and follow me."

Therefore what St. Paul has gone through was to endure the sufferings for the love of

Christ's death on the cross.

In 1 Peter 4: 12-19, St.Peter has urged us that our sufferings must be for the glory

of God and for His Church.

Paul suffered for the purpose of spreading the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. He did not imply that Christ suffering was not adquate. I think he meant that he would continue to suffer in order to achieve the mission- the Great Commision

Paul's sufferings in prison complete what is lacking in Christ's afflictions for the sake of Christ's Body,the Church.

Paul is not talking of Christ's suffering on the cross since that was completed and finished,once and for all. He is referring to the fact that

Jesus wasn't the last to suffer for the gospel. Paul suffered for the sake of the gospel as well as the disciples and believers all throughout

history,up to modern times.

When we suffer for Christ we are united with Him,we also share in His glory. Our sufferings for Christ are of value to the church because:

1]inspiration-when others see us willing to suffer for Christ and endure,it helps others to be willing to suffer as well

2]accomplishment-being willing to do what is necessary for the gospel to go forth-not quiting when the going gets tough

3]corporate unity and completeness-since we are part of Christ's body,His sufferings affect us and our sufferings affect Him.

Q1. (Colossians 1:24) How could Paul's sufferings in prison complete what is lacking in Christ's afflictions? Is Paul referring to Christ's sufferings on the cross? Or is he seeing suffering in some kind of cosmic sense? If so, in what sense are your sufferings for Christ of value to the church?

Colossians 1:24 - Now I rejoice in what was suffered for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ's afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church.

Christ's suffering on the cross was complete. I believe that this means that we all can suffer when we proclaim the Gospel. Some will experience suffering like Paul. As an American, most of us will not suffer as much as others in the world where Christians are still be persecuted. As Pastor Ralph wrote in his commentary, "There's also a sense in which we are united with Christ in our sufferings. We share in his sufferings; our sufferings are a part of his."

• 3 weeks later...