JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Devote Yourselves to Prayer

Q1. (Colossians 4:2) What guidelines does Paul give us to form our praying habits?

To stay in prayer daily and keep it simple, to the point. Talk to God like you would talk to your friend. You can be conversational

If you put these into practice fully, how would they affect your prayer life?

I think we would wake up saying good morning to God and start our day off with Him. We would be more effective in our prayer life

What problems would they help correct?

It would correct ineffective prayer, pray without ceasing so we can help others thru prayer as a prayer warrior

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Colossians 4:2) What guidelines does Paul give us to form our praying habits? If you put these into practice fully, how would they affect your prayer life? What problems would they help correct?

the guidelines paul gives us to form our praying habits are, to continue praying faithfully and constantly and most of all to be thankful for the prayers he has already answered and for all he has given us here on earth, to make our lives easier and more pleasant. he wants us to never give up praying for what we feel is right or for some one else's need.

if i put these habits into practice fully, it would affect my prayer life in a most astounding way. we always pray for what we think we need but we have to remember that there are so many others out there who need our prayers, those who are suffering or hurting in some way, those who are not christians and don't know where to turn or what to do and most of all for our leaders and countries. if we prayed continuously, with faith and thanks giving for all of these and any other needs, our prayer lives would be enhanced in such a tremendous way, that those who have needs, would see a light so bright shining in us because of our continuous prayer life and faith, that they would want that light too.

the problems they would help correct are basically the ones we have holding us back from praying, being thankful, and simply believing that prayers are answered but we have to believe that everything we have, we have because god wants us to have it, not because of our own hard work or however we get what we need. we have a good job because god put us there, he wanted us in the jobs we have, our homes, our food, clothing and so on are only ours because god gives to us everything we need and want. so many people have the belief that they have what they have because they work hard and they pay for it, it has nothing to do with god. this is the main problem as to why our prayer lives are lacking, we just find it hard to give god the credit for all the good things we do have and we find it hard to say thank you god for all that you have blessed me with and for giving me the health and strength to work hard at what i do.

paul encourages us to be persistence, alert and to be thankful. I believe i would have a closer relationship with God. I believe that I would hear from God more.I feel that the problem it would correct would be that I would do less complaining and worry about things because I would be more in communication with God.

Q1. (Colossians 4:2) What guidelines does Paul give us to form our praying habits? If you put these into practice fully, how would they affect your prayer life? What problems would they help correct?

Paul says "Devote Yourselves to Prayer" Devotion is the key through persistence, alert to loss of attention, watchful to direction and be Thankful in prayer.

To follow this guidance would rejuvenate my prayer life and give it a new sense of direction and purpose. This is simple but yet says so much to get my prayer life on target and properly directed and give thanks to God for all I have. So much substance in this pair of verses.

Q1 The guidelines that Paul gives us to form our praying habits are:-

PERSISTENCE - on going. Every Christian must always have a set time of prayer.

Daily we feed our body with food likewise we need to feed our soul with prayers.

ALERTNESS - be attentive. In prayers, we meet with an important person that is

God. We must focus our attention well as we are communicating with God and want

to listen to what He says to us.

THANKFULNESS - 2 Thes. 5:16-18 'Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in

everything give thanks for this is God's will for us in Christ Jesus.' Always be

thankful and grateful to God for everything. He is in control of us. Thank Him

for the smallest thing and for big things. Thanksgiving is our gratitude to God

for all that He has supplied for us.

When communicating with God daily and regularly, my spiritual life will be

transformed and strengthened and my attitude and outlook of life and with people

will be more courteous and sincere. "Yet those who wait for the Lord, will gain new

strength; they will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get

tired, they will walk and not become weary." (Isaiah 40:31)

They will help us rid ourselves of the old way of life, our negative thinking, our

selfishness etc. We will be able to reach out to others in need and to appreciate

them and be compassionate like Jesus.

Q1 The guidelines that Paul gives us to form our praying habits are:-

PERSISTENCE - on going. Every Christian must always have a set time of prayer.

Daily we feed our body with food likewise we need to feed our soul with prayers.

ALERTNESS - be attentive. In prayers, we meet with an important person that is

God. We must focus our attention well as we are communicating with God and want

to listen to what He says to us.

THANKFULNESS - 2 Thes. 5:16-18 'Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in

everything give thanks for this is God's will for us in Christ Jesus.' Always be

thankful and grateful to God for everything. He is in control of us. Thank Him

for the smallest thing and for big things. Thanksgiving is our gratitude to God

for all that He has supplied for us.

When communicating with God daily and regularly, my spiritual life will be

transformed and strengthened and my attitude and outlook of life and with people

will be more courteous and sincere. "Yet those who wait for the Lord, will gain new

strength; they will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get

tired, they will walk and not become weary." (Isaiah 40:31)

They will help us rid ourselves of the old way of life, our negative thinking, our

selfishness etc. We will be able to reach out to others in need and to appreciate

them and be compassionate like Jesus.

persistence, alertness, thankfulness

Put into practice these would build a stronger prayer life.

Some problems these would correct would be praying more in his will, rather than my own will.

We don't need to struggle with prayer--we need to struggle IN prayer!! It's hard work!!

The guidelines that Paul gives us to form our prayer habits is to devote ourselves to prayer, be watchful and to be thankful.

If I were to put these fully these practices into my prayer life it would bringing be closer to God and would make me put a closer watch on what I am doing in my life and what God is doing with me,

The problems they would help me correct is to make it a habit to prayer for all things and to thank God for all that is going on in my life.

What guidelines does Paul give us to form our praying habits? Paul tells us we ought to devote ourselves to prayer. This means we have to communicate with God all the time. We can tell him our problems, our wants, our complaints, everything! Devoting ourselves to prayer means we have to spend more time in prayer than anything else if it is at all possible. Since prayer need not be a ritualistic exercise, we can talk to God (aloud and silently) at all times. When we pray we have to be persistent. We should not give up when God does not answer our prayer according to our timeline and according to our specifications. We must also be aware that we have an enemy who keeps us busy (even with church work) that we do not spend enough time praying. Often when we do pray, we also get distracted or lack focus. Finally, it is important to be filled with thankfulness when we pray. When we are thankful in our prayers, we accept by faith that God will answer our prayers according to His will and in His time.

If you put these into practice fully, how would they affect your prayer life? What problems would they help correct? When we put these guidelines in practice, we will have a much richer prayer life. We will grow in our christian walk, our faith will increase and we will bear fruit. For me personally, when I spent more time in prayer, I find that God gives me revelation when I read His word. Without these guidelines, we tend to treat God as if we are the master and He has to pander to our demands. Our faith will shrivel because we do not have enough faith to understand His will. Over time, we may just stop praying altogether.

The guidelines Paul gives to us to form our daily prayer habits are 1]persistence 2]alertness 3]thankfulness.

If we put this fully into practice,they would affect our prayer life by bringing us closer to the Lord. We would see more answers to prayer. We would become encouraged by seeing the results of our prayer.

The problems these guidelines would help correct would be,we wouldn't be tempted to quit praying if we don't receive an answer right away. They would help as remember to be thankful in all things.

Paul advised us to pray constantly and persistently, be watchful and alert, and with thanksgiving. Praying is communicating with God; it is the highest honour and we cannot treat it as a chore, but with an alert spirit and a thankful heart. Constant prayer also strengthens our bond to God. These advices puts the spirit into a right attitude and relationship with God, and prevent us from being distracted by and lost in unwholesome thoughts. When we focus on God all the time, we learn from Him; we take on His attributes and we become more like Him. Let us keep our thoughts on God!

Colossians 4:2 - Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.

Paul gives us very straightforward guidelines which are to be persistent, be alert and be thankful. If I would be able to put these into practice, my prayer life would be fuller and it would correct my ability to really receive the most from my time with the Lord.

Q1. (Colossians 4:2) What guidelines does Paul give us to form our praying habits?

Paul exhorts us to be earnest and unwearied and steadfast in our prayer life, being both alert and intent in our praying with thanksgiving.

Obedience brings reward. We are also promised that we will reap a harvest if we grow not weary, and that when we ask, seek, and knock, our prayers will receive an answer. God honors faith! I feel convicted that I need more diligence in my prayer life...to perservere even though I've been waiting for 30 years for promised answers!

Unfocused, wishy washy praying, faithless unbelieving prayers, lack of discipline, hit and miss praying, and giving up in hopelessness.

Paul's guidelines for our praying habits are: be persistent, be alert and be thankful. I believe that cultivating these habits in our prayer life will lead us to new levels of spiritual alertness and bring us closer to communion with the Father. Through this, it will also help us establish a closer relationship with the Father. Once we reach this level of intimacy, prayers become a time to look forward to rather than a chore to be done. Prayers become a cherished time of talking with the Father. These habits also help us focus and so enable us to hear directly from God.

The guidelines Paul gives us as regards to prayers are:

1. To persist in prayer and be devoted to it. We are to pray consistently without ceasing because our enemy is on the rampage seeking those to devour. We should not allow any thing to stop our communication line with our Father in heaven.

2. To be alert, not to sleep off as the chosen desciples at the eve of crucifixion of our Lord Jesus Christ. He had to ask them if they could not keep awake for even an hour.

3.Giving thanks- we should not anly ask our Lord God for things but to be able to pause and appreciate Him through giving Him our sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving.

Paul encourages us to be persistence, alert and thankful. If I did these things on a regular basis I believe I would have a stronger relationship with God. I believe that the spirit of discernment will be at work the more in me, so that I would know how to pray for those even the more that I pray for. I believe my intercessory prayer life would deeply increase. (which is what I want pray for me). I believe that I would be so to speak and quick to listen. I would do a lot less complaining and begin more to trust God for who He is.

What guidelines does Paul give us to form our praying habits?

We are not to get tired of talking with God. We should talk to Him daily and often. Jesus did. We must continue praying and watching for God's answers, and then we must be thankful when they come.

We will become stronger in the Lord by talking with Him and hearing what He needs to tell us.

We are to be devoted and persistent in prayer with a watchful, alert, and thankful mind or attitude. My thought is that if these habits are put into practice all who pray to the Living God would have a more effective and meaningful relationship with God and would be more spiritually attuned to the world and people around them. These habits would help correcting shallow, hurried, and meaningless prayers.

Praying full of grace, seasoned with salt, so you many know how to answer everyone

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Colossians 4:2) What guidelines does Paul give us to C?

In forming our praying habits Paul tells us to devote ourselves to prayer, to be persistent, to be watchful and to be thankful.

If I put these into practice fully my communication with God would be extended as I pursue watchfulness I would increase my time of intercession.

Paul's advice on prayer would correct selfish prayers; those that only cover "me, my four and no more."

• 1 month later...

Answer: Apostle Paul always,in all His Epistle encourage His reader to always Pray.

While He is praying for Them,He encourage all to pray to one another,as He knows that Prayer is one of the Intimacy,and signifying close relationship with God.Prayer is communicating to the Father,talking to Him,lifting your praise and reliance to the one and God of all.In one of his letter to the Ephesians,in Chapter 6 verse 8,it is quite similar to his exhortation to the Colossians..

Ephesians 6:18(Amplified)-Pray at all times (on every occasion, in every season) in the Spirit, with all [manner of] prayer and entreaty. To that end keep alert and watch with strong purpose and perseverance, interceding in behalf of all the saints (God's consecrated people).

The guidelines that he set in Prayers are:

Devote yourself,devoting is something of putting aside your time,blacking out anybody,but in Deep concentration,with all your attention focus on one thing.In this case:FOCUS ON GOD.Notice in Ephesians 6:18,He also said

Paul tells us in his guidelines to be devoted to prayer and persistent in our prayer time with the Lord. He tells us to be alert when praying and not just mindless, repetitous prayers. Paul also tells us to be thankful, always giving thanks and not just petitioning God for things but giving thanks for what He has done.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Devote yourselves to prayer. Dictionary.com defines DEVOTE the following way:

1. to give up or appropriate to or concentrate on a particular pursuit, occupation, purpose, cause, etc.: to devote one's time to reading. (* Note, in this case pertaining to GOD)!

2. to appropriate by or as if by a vow; set apart or dedicate by a solemn or formal act; consecrate: She devoted her life to God.

Watchful: vigilant or alert; closely observant.

Thankfulness- a feeling of great gratitude for what has been done for us by God!

If we apply all three to our prayer habits our prayers would be much more indepth and we would communicate with God in a better and more effective way. I would only add that we should always start our prayer off with Thankfulness and love for God telling Him how much you love Him and Thank Him for everything in your life ,also add confession, being explicit in explaining your sins and ask for forgiveness.

1. What guidelines does Paul give us to form our praying habits?

Devote yourselves to prayer, be watchful and thankful. Be persistent, alertness, thankful.

2. If you put these into practice fully, how would they affect your payer life?

Anytime we put the word of God to practice it protects, gives wisdom and peace that surpasses all understanding.

3. What problems would they help correct?

When we pray our relationship with Christ becomes more intimate we begin to understand him more. It helps correct problems like going in the wrong direction/doing the wrong things/etc. It encourages to expect

answers to our prayers.