JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Devote Yourselves to Prayer

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me prayer is talking to my best friend with whom I have a personal relationship. That is Jesus Christ of Nazareth. It is not just a time on my knees but much more when something comes up I ask Him about it, like what should I do what should I say. Also a large percentage of my prayers are just thanking Jesus for what He has done for me and others. I also thank Him for keeping bad things from happen to me and other. What would this life be like if Jesus did not keep the plans of Satan from coming to fruition?

I don't know about you, but I sometimes fall into the trap of beating myself up for my perceived failures in the exercise of prayer. So I'm encouraged to be reminded that the LORD does not desire the perfect performance of a ritual duty! Paul urges us not to give up on this line of communication because of our weakness or the relentless attempts of the enemy to sidetrack us. In establishing peace between God and man, Christ has become our intimate Friend - no longer holding our offenses against us. In adopting us as His children, the Father has become our personal Abba - not a nameless impersonal entity. Paul reminds us to be persistent and steadfast in maintaining an active and open dialogue with our Friend/Father. He cautions us to be watchful and alert against the things from within/without that make us apathetic or sleepy or mindless about this crucial connection to our Friend/Father. And he prompts us to always be thankful and appreciative for who our God is and what He can do as we approach our Friend/Father. Knowing that "The Lord is at hand" (Phil.4:5) should give us an attitude of gratefulness - a key factor in our "heart-to-heart" time with God (vs.6-7). He is always near!

The more I put these principles into practice, the less I will struggle with prayer as a matter of just discipline. It will become a more natural part of my day, as I experience the reality of walking with God and seeing His power released in my ordinary life. It will keep me from slipping into rote prayers that mean nothing to either of us. (Imagine your children spending time with you only to speak at you with scripted words…how hurtful, insulting, and pointless!). I'll just be constantly talking to my very best and most trusted Friend about all the wonders and horrors, ups and downs, thrills and spills, certainties and questions of my life.

To stay connected with God in the intimacy of prayer will correct some problems. I won't be quite as likely to have a divided or wandering heart. I'll be more discerning of truth and sensitive to the Spirit's leadership. I'll avoid traps, be more obedient, and sin less. And I'll live with greater awareness of victory and confidence in the Victor! Wish I were fully there!

Q1. (Colossians 4:2) What guidelines does Paul give us to form our praying habits? If you put these into practice fully, how would they affect your prayer life? What problems would they help correct?

The guidelines that Paul gives us to form our praying habit is that

Q1. (Colossians 4:2) What guidelines does Paul give us to form our praying habits? If you put these into practice fully, how would they affect your prayer life? What problems would they help correct?

Paul reminds his readers to be alert and thankful as they diligently communicate with God in prayer. Of course, this is good advice to everyone but I wonder why it appears to be addressed to "masters" in verse one? If fully practiced, we would always have something significant to pray about. Our prayers would be more effective and purposeful and we would be more appreciative of God's answers to prayer.

- keep on praying

so don't skip it when you feel more like watching TV

- stay alert

so don't fall asleep and don't get distracted

- be thankful

so you don't only give petitions

If we practice this, our prayers get more power.

They would help to correct the problem of feeling some distance with God?

Paul reminds his readers to be alert and thankful as they diligently communicate with God in prayer. Of course, this is good advice to everyone but I wonder why it appears to be addressed to "masters" in verse one? If fully practiced, we would always have something significant to pray about. Our prayers would be more effective and purposeful and we would be more appreciative of God's answers to prayer.

Hi Rod,

Verse 4:1 belongs to the previous subject: authority.

Col. 3:18 women; 3:19 men; 3:20 children; 3:21 fathers; 3:22-25 slaves and 4:1 masters.

In 4:2 Paul starts a new subject: prayer.

So he's not only adressing to masters.

It's just a case of making a new chapter in an unlogical place.

Marloes

Good Sabbath morning,y'all !

Paul reminds us that prayer is reaching for something that is beyond ourselves,or,beyond,even,our imagination.The importance of prayer is so great,that it requires our compete attention,devotion,concentration,and effort.The rewards inspire thanksgiving.Fully installed into our lives,this would open our hearts to transformation into members of the body of Christ.Within the framework of God's plan, and the timing of His infinite wisdom, this will enable us to to be part of the solution to all problems.

Don't give up, pay attention, and express gratitude.

I need to be consistent in prayer. I need structure. I just put prayer out there whenever I feel the need to do so, but that is wrong. If I followed this guideline, then I would have a good prayer pattern, and I would feel more empowered when I pray.

"Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful." (4:2) Paul tells them and us to be diligent in our prayer life, to be watchful against being led astray by worldly lusts, and to always be thankful because all our needs are supplied by God in Christ Jesus. If we put this into practice we would become more effective in our prayer lives and more faithful about praying. The problem this would correct is our selfish desires and requests. We would be more in tune to what God the Father wants us to pray about.

Hi Rod,

Verse 4:1 belongs to the previous subject: authority.

Col. 3:18 women; 3:19 men; 3:20 children; 3:21 fathers; 3:22-25 slaves and 4:1 masters.

In 4:2 Paul starts a new subject: prayer.

So he's not only adressing to masters.

It's just a case of making a new chapter in an unlogical place.

Marloes

Chapter division does seem a bit arbitrary, doesn't it? It probably would be OK for masters to pray in that manner as well, however. I'm sure you are right. It's also a good reminder to keep our answers to these questions in the context of the whole letter. Thanks!

Paul urges us to be persistent or really devoted to prayer, to be alert, and to be thankful when we come before God. I believe if one were to really work on these they would cause one to really be honest and sincere in their prayer life. They would help to correct sloppiness in our approach to God, they would help us to keep our mind from wandering, and help us not to take things for granted.

To persist, be alert and thankful. I pray by talking to the Father all day long, but I must confess I may not always be paying enough attention (alert) all the time. If we incorporated this into our prayer life we may be more eager to pray and would see more results and a fuller deeper connection with our Father. Also this thankfulness directs us more toward worship that just complaining and asking for stuff.

Q1. (Colossians 4:2)

What guidelines does Paul give us to form our praying habits?

If you put these into practice fully, how would they affect your prayer life?

What problems would they help correct?

We are to persist in our prayers, to pray earnestly. Also to be vigilant, and alert when we pray. Not only to watch against sleep, but also against wandering thoughts, and listlessness. Then again, our prayers are to be thankful. Not only for answers to prayer, but also for those He did not answer, knowing that He knows what is best for us. The best is to pray in simple faith, leaving aside our intellectual doubts. By putting these into practice fully, I have come to the understanding that I should be praying much more than I have in the past. These guidelines, therefore, will help me to spend more quality time with the Lord in prayer.

What guidelines does Paul give us to form our praying habits?

Persistance, alertness, and thankfulness

If you put these into practice fully, how would they affect your prayer life?

This will draw us closer to our Father...not just by doing our "duty" but by really communicating with Him.

What problems would they help correct?

If we put these three things into practice, we can take ourselves to another level of worship and closeness with God....Jesus....we are traveling through here on earth with a goal of being heaven bound....and to be closer to our Maker...what joy !!!!!

Persistance, altertness thankfulness. If yu put these into practice fully they will bring you into God's will and into a relationship with him. They would show you your destiny and the timing that it should unfold in.

To pay attention to what we are doing (engaging soul and spirit) - to be persisitent and endure - and to be thankful to God for what He has already done as well as for the promises He has given - knowing that He will manifest them in our lives. . .

Puttimng these principles into practice will positivelt affect our prayer life. . .

The problems they will overcome would be to over any lack of faith we might have - ingratitude - or our unwillingness to serve. . .

B)

Paul tells us to be persistent in prayer, to be alert and mindful as we pray and to always give thanks.

Practicing all of these guidelines would give greater meaning and depth to my prayer life. It would help praying carelessly without giving much thought to prayer and would help in keeping me focused on talking with God.cool.gif

We are to be persistent and thankful and alert. I agree that when we thank God for all that He has done it does put our faith into action. It confirms that God is listening to us and has nothing but our concerns and needs in mind. Knowing this makes us stronger in our faith and allows us to fully commit to serving our Heavenly Father. When we do not recognize God's love for us or allow the enemy to intercede our thoughts we become depressed and troubled keeping us from the good things God has to offer us and wants to give us.

To be persistent, alert, and thankful. Putting this into practice will help us to grow or mature in faith. Could help us in remaining focused, overcoming distractions.

Paul gives the guidelines to devote ourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.

If we put these in practice, we would be in constant prayer and communication with God. To devote yourself to anything is to give fully to a person and/or cause or circumstances. They aren't second on a list, but first in our heart. We desire to devote time and effort because we love doing that for someone or something. To be watchful is always being aware of what is happening. To be looking out for and protecting someone or something dear to us. To be seeking on what more can be done or watching for changes to further consider in the circumstances. Being thankful is knowing where we have come from and being thankful of being drawn away from or being seen through circumstances of our own. It is humbleness towards another that we were helped and loved ourselves at times.

What problems would these correct?

Divided hearts. Empty "religion." Selfish vain acts. Mediocre "duty". "Religious" activities. Falling away when met with problems. Falling "asleep" from lack of passion. Arrogance. Piety. And insincerity towards others. Dead churches with dead "works."

The guidelines are persistence, alertness and thankfulness. If we put these into practice our spirit will be ublifted and connected to that of God. We will receive His answers and will not be distracted or deceived by the enemy of God.

Q1. (Colossians 4:2) What guidelines does Paul give us to form our praying habits? To pray regularly and persistantly, to concentrate on what we are praying and why we are praying it and finally to give thanks to God for what He has done for us which both is pleasing to God, and is encouraging to us.

If you put these into practice fully, how would they affect your prayer life? Praying should be something which I do regularly and constantly and praying isn't just reeling off my latest wish list or a way of remembering people (which it can become) but it is a crucial part of my communion with God who is my creator, my saviour and my friend.

What problems would they help correct? As I say above, I think that it would overcome the tendency to simply list my wants like some kind of formula and/or to meaningless repetition