JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q7. Father, Into Your Hands I Commit My Spirit (Luke 23:46)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q7. (Luke 23:46) What does Jesus mean when he says,

Q7. (Luke 23:46) What does Jesus mean when he says, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit"? Why does this saying comfort us so much?

He means his soul, which He had in his human nature, together with the body, united to the Divine nature. Hence we derive an additional proof that the human soul is distinct from the body, that it lives after it, in a state separate from it, and such a state as is susceptible of happiness and misery.

This saying comfort us because there is a place of safety from danger, where souls shall not only survive, but live also in a manner very different from that in which they lived here; where no temptation shall be able to assault, no sin to pollute, no affliction to discompose them? From these considerations, every Christian may draw such inferences, as will turn to the best account, by supporting him under the trials of the present life; by arming him against immoderate fears of death; and by quickening him to those virtues and graces which are necessary to justify his hopes of exchanging this present life for a state infinitely better.

Q7. (Luke 23:46) What does Jesus mean when He says, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit"? Why does this saying comfort us so much?

His task is finished here on earth so now Jesus, as an obedient son, seeks His just reward of being seated at the right hand of the Father in heaven.

The saying gives too much comfort because Jesus set examples on His entire journey that God always listens to prayers. Jesus succeeded through prayers up until His last moments here with us.

So please allow me then to share my favorite prayer:

"Lord Jesus, the Son of God, help mercy on me, a sinner."

O Divine Jesus, through Your Face and Name save us. Our hope is in the virtue of Your Holy Name!

What does Jesus mean when he says, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit"?

Why does this saying comfort us so much?

It was during these three hours of darkness that Jesus bore the penalty of our sins in His body on the tree. At the close of that time, He committed His spirit into the hands of God, His Father, and voluntarily yielded up His life. A Roman centurion was so overwhelmed by the scene that he glorified God, saying,

Q7. (Luke 23:46) What does Jesus mean when he says, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit"?

Jesus was still actively in control as Victor rather than victim. His work was complete. In full faith and confidence He was saying, I'm going to die now and I place my Spirit in Your hands Father, knowing that I will be resurrected on the third day.

He is our model and our forerunner...as we get ready to leave this life, we can have the same confidence that we are in His hands even in death. He has promised He will never leave us nor forsake us. And as we live, we can now commit our spirit into His hands, or another way of saying that, is that we have the choice of surrendering out spirit, as well as our body and soul to Him,  allowing Him to live through us and shapes us into His own image. (Rom 8:28,29). Living in that way makes dying, just a transition from here to there.

Praise GOD; these WORDS mean to me that JESUS trusted the FATHER and knew that HE had the power over death.This is the heart of the Gospel. This is GOD'S free gift to all who will believe. GOD loved us so much that HE gave us HIS only begotten SON to pay for our sins.What a price JESUS paid for us. This is beyond human comprehention. What a loving SAVIOUR. THANK YOU FATHER PRAISE YOU JESUS.

Jesus life here on earth was total surrender to His Father. He did nothing apart from himself. He honored His Father by total obedience even to death. We are incapable of such obedience, but Jesus shows us how to honor, respect and obey. Only through these great attributes He has shown us, can we live a life of honoring and glorifying Him. EASTER....ALELUYA.

I think this is a word of confidence in what will happen. He said it, and said it loud, because he is completely confident that God is going to use this for His glory. Jesus knows the plan. He knows why He had to come to earth to die. He knows that sin and death are conquored. And so there's joy at crossing the finish line (or making it through the hard part).

Q7. (Luke 23:46) What does Jesus mean when he says, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit"?

His time on earth has ended and he will be united once again with His Father in Heaven.

This is a comfort to all believers because it tells us that when our life here is over, our new life begins with our Heavenly Father in His Kingdom. :rolleyes:

Jesus gave over His spirit to His Father whom He had trusted His entire life to.

We can trust the Father with our lives and with our spirit at death. We can rest in the same trust Jesus had.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus was surrendering the whole of His personal spirit to the Father - the essence of His humanity of body, mind, will, and emotion. He entrusted the entirety of His life to God's glory and glorious will. He was now preparing to exit the confines of earthly time and enter into death - with the resolute confidence that the Father would raise and restore Him again into eternity.

The Father has promised to exercise the same resurrecting power for every person who believes and confesses Christ as Savior (1 Corinthians 15:22-23). This is our certain hope of glory and eternal life with Him.

• 3 weeks later...