JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q7. Father, Into Your Hands I Commit My Spirit (Luke 23:46)

Q7. (Luke 23:46) What does Jesus mean when he says, �Father, into your hands I commit my spirit�? Why does this saying comfort us so much?        

Jesus is giving himself to his Father.  It is comforting to know we can do the same thing.  Commit our spirits to the loving care of God the Father Almighty.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Jesus called out in a loud voice "Father, into Your hands I commit My spirit" he is saying several things.  One by Father he is intimate with his father and trusts him.  His Father is with Him no matter what.  When he commits he is trusting the human life to his father.  His spirit the human Jesus he has turned over to God.  We are his from the beginning and if we are believers full of faith we know it is to God we will return.  Jesus by his dying for our sins gave us this promise.  He has conquered death and so will we.  Faith, believe and works..

• 11 months later...

Many people believe that there is a spirit inside of each human. And once we die this is released from our body and travels up to heaven or elsewhere. With His work as a human being done, the spirit inside of Jesus is gong to be released with His last breathe. Jesus is going to be sending His spirit to the care of His Father. He knows that it will be cared for by a very loving Father.

I feel very comforted by this statement because being a sister to Christ, I realize that my spirit will also be safe and cherished by a loving Father in heaven.

• 2 weeks later...

Q7. (Luke 23:46) What does Jesus mean when he says, �Father, into your hands I commit my spirit�? Why does this saying comfort us so much?

In Luke 23:46 Jesus says "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit", by this Jesus has suffered unto death, now he gives his spirit unto his Father hands for trust, knowing that he will be in the presence of his Father to receive his reward the Father has given him.

This saying comforts us so much  because if we live our lives according to the commands Christ has given us, to be obedient and allow God to use our lives for his purposes he has planned for us, we can say at the end of our lives it is finished and commit our spirits unto God.     

• 1 month later...

What does Jesus mean when he says, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit"?

First, Jesus speaks to God with intimacy. No matter how bleak the moment, He knows His Father is present with Him - now present to receive His spirit

Second, Jesus entrusts Himself to His Father. As He let's go of His life, Jesus trusts His eternal destiny to the Father's everlasting arms.

Finally, Jesus speaks a word of surrender. He gives up His human life to His Father who gave it to Him 33 years before.

Why does this saying comfort us so much?

At the end of our lives, we can let go of our human life in order to embrace the life that God the Father has to offer in HIs own presence. 

Jesus fulfill what He came to do, minister to the lost and afflicted an finally dying on the cross fully human. I love Him and appreciate everything He endure for me. If you've your life completely serving Him, when your time come you gladly said "Heavenly Father it is finish, into your hands I give up my spirit. That reminds me when my mother was on her way to the onside. I pray for her, anointed her with oil and after my did I said Father God into your hands I commend my mother spirit, then she was gone.being a Doctor and Reverend I knew what she expected me to do, she had a smile on her face that I wi never forget. That's the most important thing to me that my God say well done thy faithful servant.

(Luke 23:46) What does Jesus mean when he says, �Father, into your hands I commit my spirit�? Why does this saying comfort us so much?          

• Jesus knows that his Father is with him.  As he lets go of this life, Jesus trusts his eternal destiny to the Father's everlasting arms.  He gives up his human life to his Father.  This saying comforts us because we know that there is life after death with the Father. 

• 10 months later...

Q7. (Luke 23:46) What does Jesus mean when he says, Father, into your hands I commit my spirit?

Father I am coming home.

We can also now commit our spirit to God when we die and what happens at the time of death is not unknown or scary anymore.

• 1 month later...

The last words of Jesus spoken from the cross tells us that He has accomplished the work on earth for which Father has sent Him to do. He is now entrusting His spirit to God the father. Jesus had total and complete trust in the Heavenly Father.

We too must totally and completely put our faith,trust,rely upon God at all times through all experiences and in all circumstances.

As Christ is confident in His father's providence in the hour of His death,we who believe in Christ and have the assurance of salvation,have faith in God's word can be confident of our heavenly father's providence in the final moments of our life. We have eternal life with Jesus and our father in heaven. That is our hope of Glory.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

In death as in life, Jesus knew that he had an intimate relationship with his Father. Although he was forsaken because of the sin of humanity he carried at the cross, he knew that this relationship was intact. This is why he was able ,with confidence to commit his spirit into his fathers hands, because he knew this was not the end. 

It should help us, his children to face death more courageously, knowing that because of our relationship with a God we can trust him to receive us unto himself when we should have departed this life.

• 11 months later...

Q4 What does Jesus' Fourth Word from the cross teach us about faith?   

Greetings,  After what Jesus went through, He felt alone, a since of abandonment.  Fear I am sure, but he knew that in order to save you and me he must fulfil his commitment to his Father.  We are not worthy, if you have ever gone through a time in your life and felt that no one was there for you but God and even then you felt He wasn't answering you, then you know.  The pain, Lord are we worth it?

pat

Q7. "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit"?

Greetings,  Jesus' life given up freely, even though painful was a marvelous then.  He exchanged his life for mine and came that I might live.  He didn't have to but he did it.  This season reminds us all of the glorious thing that comes from the death of our savior.  He saved me, He changed me, His death set free.  While this study is over, I will not forget how it re-awaken the holy spirit that I lost in myself. I will continue my daily walk with the Spirt and renewing and refreshing myself.  I don't just have to wait for Easter. 

Pat

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Q7. (Luke 23:46) What does Jesus mean when he says, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit"? Why does this saying comfort us so much?

When Jesus says, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit", what He means is I give my life back to you, because you are the Beginning and the Ending.  You gave me my life, and I am returning to you from whence I came. This saying comforts us so much, because, as believers, everything I am, everything I have, and everything I do belongs to God. I and It originated with God. It is in Him that I live, I move, and I have my being.  

• 2 years later...

Jesus was giving up this life to The Father and he knows that it is life beyond death. That this is not the only life. This let's us know that when the time comes when we have finished our race, it will be ok to let go of this life on earth. There is a far better life to come. There is no fear because Jesus conquered even death for us. We will have eternal life. This is the comfort this brings.

• 1 year later...

Jesus had entrusted Himself to His Father, ABBA. Jesus died on the Cross ending his earthly ministry and once He breathe His last breathe His Father welcome Him with open arms. 

One day soon we too will commit our spirit to the living God who will also awaits for his children with open arms. Arms that will keep us safe for all "Eternity." And, we too will be held by Jesus. Amen

• 9 months later...

Q7. (Luke 23:46) What does Jesus mean when he says, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit"?

ANSWER: At the very end of Jesus’ life, as He was hanging on the cross, the sun was darkened and the veil of the temple was torn down the middle. Then “Jesus called out with a loud voice, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.” When He had said this, He breathed His last (Luke 23:46).

When Jesus said, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit,” this shows his allegiance and willingness to follow God's plan. The commitment by Jesus encourages followers to do the same, pledge their spirits to God. The phrase also highlights the importance of using Scripture and God's word.

Jesus’ words from the cross expressed the true feeling of His heart. Jesus feel an acute and pressing need for help, and He turns to the “faithful God,” the only true source of aid. In the midst of all His trouble, Jesus’ spirit reaches upward for relief, with a strong confidence in the One who alone is a worthy refuge. From the cross, Jesus shows us that our most valuable of treasures, our spirits, should be committed for safekeeping into the Father’s hands.

ANSWER: Into thy hands we commend our spirits. Jesus is letting it all go, and entrusting it to God, because He believes that even in death, His life, will be in the best hands of all when they are in the hands of God. Jesus has come to that point. Death is inevitable.

We are to do what Jesus did and Jesus practiced. From the beginning of His ministry to the terrible moment of His death, we see a man (Jesus) dedicated, first of all, to seeking the will of God, and second of all, to doing it to the best of His ability. It always involved risk, sacrifice, prayer, and service to others. Those are good clues that you’re entrusting your day-to-day life to God, when you do things that take risks and make sacrifices for the sake of others and for the sake of God.

Consistent actions that force us to surrender our control and to trust that God will make things right begin to add up, and increase our willingness, and our ability, to trust God and seek God’s will when times are hard and difficult. The point is this: Jesus didn’t only place His life and being in the hands of God at death. He did it in His life. Let’s do the same thing. Let’s affirm not only at death, but in our lives, that we belong to God. Into God’s hands let us entrust our spirits.!

The moment we are saved, we commit our spirits into the Father’s hands; we trust Him for our salvation. From then on, life is lived in a day-to-day commitment of our spirits into the Father’s hands. We commit our spirits to Him in our service to Him, in our daily decisions, and in all our joys and sorrows. And, when the time of our death comes, we follow Jesus’ example and say yet again, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.”

• 1 month later...

Q7. (Luke 23:46)

What does Jesus mean when he says, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit"?

In the Six Word where JESUS called HIS FATHER, GOD a feeling of separation, but now in the Seven WORD FATHER again. Meaning that JESUS knew HIS time has come and the last thing was to breathe out HIS last breath and therefor entrusted HIS FATHER to received it and surrender HIS every last into HIS FATHER's hands.  

Our FATHER GOD is always there for us no matter when or where, GOD is there HIS presence always surrounds us. We can open our mouth and HE listen and react.